Live Scoring

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

There is Live Standings to the left of Live Scoring. They are being updated in real-time and you can easily look up any team's daily totals by clicking on Period and having that team next to yours.

But that being said, there isn't that daily +/- next to each team that we have on League Standings. Let's see if we can't get that added on that page too. Then you know how much you've moved up or down during Live Scoring. And of course we need Year To Date totals on that page, which I believe is also coming.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:38 pm

marknym wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:If we can just get the app approved through the iTunes and Google stores it's possible that the app will have all of the data you want to see. We have two teams working on that process now.
Would be good.

Also a suggestion re: the AB/H and perhaps IP/H/BB stats being added to live scoring. I know I've seen it somewhere, I think perhaps it's baseball reference... when you turn your phone to landscape mode, the additional stats appear in the additional horizontal screen real estate. It's a nifty feature. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what it involves, just throwing out something I've seen work, since you said the space on the screen is an issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. NOW THAT MAKES SENSE!! I was going to say that there just isn't enough space on the vertical phone for two more statistical categories, but horizontal in landscape mode: that makes sense. I'm not a programmer either, but I know our team is reading all of these suggestions, so we'll see what they say. But now we're cooking with the ideas. Thanks Mark.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:There is Live Standings to the left of Live Scoring. They are being updated in real-time and you can easily look up any team's daily totals by clicking on Period and having that team next to yours.
It needs to include the categories in live scoring to be easily accessible. Knowing the impact of incoming and hopefully pending stats and their effect is a part of the process. For example I need 6 k’s to gain 3 points or this save is worth....

Just trying to help...
Joe

marknym

Post by marknym » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
marknym wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:If we can just get the app approved through the iTunes and Google stores it's possible that the app will have all of the data you want to see. We have two teams working on that process now.
Would be good.

Also a suggestion re: the AB/H and perhaps IP/H/BB stats being added to live scoring. I know I've seen it somewhere, I think perhaps it's baseball reference... when you turn your phone to landscape mode, the additional stats appear in the additional horizontal screen real estate. It's a nifty feature. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what it involves, just throwing out something I've seen work, since you said the space on the screen is an issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. NOW THAT MAKES SENSE!! I was going to say that there just isn't enough space on the vertical phone for two more statistical categories, but horizontal in landscape mode: that makes sense. I'm not a programmer either, but I know our team is reading all of these suggestions, so we'll see what they say. But now we're cooking with the ideas. Thanks Mark.
No problem.

I checked and baseballreference's player pages indeed use this feature, as do milb.com's mobile player pages.
example: http://m.milb.com/milb/player/621311

I appreciate the care and speed you and Tom and the team are addressing this with and will try to provide more constructive comments, glad to help.
Mark Evans

Rotofan18

Post by Rotofan18 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Hey Greg,

I think i may have added this to another thread but here goes anyway.
In the live scoring for the Cutlines the leaderboard shows the ranking based on the current period stats not the overall standings.
Owners may like to know how they are doing that period or day, but maybe add a 3rd column to the leader board for overall??
You can then make the leader board sortable by day, period, and overall.

Just my opinion.... let me know what other ppl are saying

steve

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Rotofan18 wrote:Hey Greg,

I think i may have added this to another thread but here goes anyway.
In the live scoring for the Cutlines the leaderboard shows the ranking based on the current period stats not the overall standings.
Owners may like to know how they are doing that period or day, but maybe add a 3rd column to the leader board for overall??
You can then make the leader board sortable by day, period, and overall.

Just my opinion.... let me know what other ppl are saying

steve
Absolutely. A pulldown for Overall makes sense off that page. Let me see what IT can do.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Rotofan18

Post by Rotofan18 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Appreciate the response.

Tons of progress this week, Thanks!!!!

Rotofan18

Post by Rotofan18 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Hey guys,

Came across an issue with the scoring in the Cutine. Doesn't seem that partial IP are being calculated. For instance Chris Devenski shows 1 k 1 bb and 0 IP. Obviously this isn't possible. Also I saw Luis Severino shows 7 IP and he actually threw 7 & 1/3

Thanks,

steve

Daren E

Post by Daren E » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I posted this question on the other thread for improvements but it got lost over there and it probably belongs here anyways. In years past if I went to live scoring for either DC or Cutline it would show me instantly which pitchers on that team were scheduled to pitch later that day/night. Can't remember if there was a little baseball next to scheduled pitchers or what the symbol was but that was one of my favorite features of live scoring. Would be nice to get that back.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
5-Time Live League Champion/Las Vegas

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Rotofan18 wrote:Hey guys,

Came across an issue with the scoring in the Cutine. Doesn't seem that partial IP are being calculated. For instance Chris Devenski shows 1 k 1 bb and 0 IP. Obviously this isn't possible. Also I saw Luis Severino shows 7 IP and he actually threw 7 & 1/3

Thanks,

steve
The Cutline is being scored correctly in League and Overall Standings but you are correct the 1 point for 1/3rd of an inning is not showing correctly on Live Scoring. That was not updated but we will get that corrected. Sorry.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Daren E wrote:I posted this question on the other thread for improvements but it got lost over there and it probably belongs here anyways. In years past if I went to live scoring for either DC or Cutline it would show me instantly which pitchers on that team were scheduled to pitch later that day/night. Can't remember if there was a little baseball next to scheduled pitchers or what the symbol was but that was one of my favorite features of live scoring. Would be nice to get that back.
Our stat provider doesn’t offer that feature right now, but we are requesting that. If we can add that we will.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

CASS

Post by CASS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Can we please have the Year to date totals in Live scoring?? Just look at how we had it in last year how hard is this?? This site is horrendous...take back the watchlist (who cares) and give us back the site from last year please.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:32 am

CASS wrote:Can we please have the Year to date totals in Live scoring?? Just look at how we had it in last year how hard is this?? This site is horrendous...take back the watchlist (who cares) and give us back the site from last year please.
I think what you mean is the main league page. All you have to do to see this otherwise is click on Standings/League.

Daren E

Post by Daren E » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:02 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Daren E wrote:I posted this question on the other thread for improvements but it got lost over there and it probably belongs here anyways. In years past if I went to live scoring for either DC or Cutline it would show me instantly which pitchers on that team were scheduled to pitch later that day/night. Can't remember if there was a little baseball next to scheduled pitchers or what the symbol was but that was one of my favorite features of live scoring. Would be nice to get that back.
Our stat provider doesn’t offer that feature right now, but we are requesting that. If we can add that we will.
Whatever stats and information you are getting allows you to highlight a pitchers upcoming starts in the days ahead, which is also nice. Why doesn't that translate right into today's games? Seems like if tomorrow's starter is highlighted today why isn't he also then highlighted somehow tomorrow when his turn actually comes up?
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
5-Time Live League Champion/Las Vegas

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:09 am

CASS wrote:Can we please have the Year to date totals in Live scoring?? Just look at how we had it in last year how hard is this?? This site is horrendous...take back the watchlist (who cares) and give us back the site from last year please.
We will add Year To Date scoring to Team Stats early next week. It is the next item to finish for IT. Hopefully we'll add that line to Live Scoring as well.

I'll be as polite as I can be on your last statement: NO WE AREN'T GOING BACK TO THE OLD SITE. I appreciate the fact that you and others got accustomed to the old site and liked where everything was and the items that were being featured. I get it. It was comfortable and you understood the site fully. I have no issues with anyone complaining about learning a new site that doesn't have everything from before.

But two things there: 1) We are going to be very proactive with this site and you can already see that we are making additions and tweaks to the site. In fact, since Monday we've added or altered 46 different items on the site, some of them that should have been there from the launch, but 46 items nonetheless. We have another two dozen plus items to add or tweak next week, so we are going to get this site where you want it and expected it to be very shortly. Very subtle tweaks to the inside pages next week will make those pages more and more like the ones we had in years past. And 2) All of this software can now easily be updated during the season and launched more easily for future seasons. I don't want to even get into the process of what it took at STATS to launch each year or how many people we had (not) helping us, but it was less than ideal. We haven't had a full-time programmer for our division in 4+ years and now we have a full staff that can make adjustments and tweaks on the fly. It will definitely be better for all of us with the transition.

But more importantly, this isn't just about software in Year 1 of a new company. This is about where we are as an industry because of the Draft Kings snafu in October of 2015 and our future with this product. As players, I'm sure you don't understand how much the industry changed when Draft Kings screwed up in 2015. It brought the government into overseeing our industry and states jumping in to enact laws that were meant for Daily Fantasy Sports companies, but that embroiled season-long games as well. I'm all for consumer protection laws and I have no issue with the government protecting our players, but that's not all that is happening here. These new state-by-state regulations were proven that they were needed for the daily games, but they are making it much tougher for entrepreneurs to survive in the pay-to-play fantasy sports space, while actually enabling the big DFS companies to have a strangehold on the space. They can afford all of these state fees, whereas smaller game operators can't. These are one-size-fits-all fees for the most part.

I bring that up because you talk about going back to the old site and the old days. Well, guess what? Those days are over. They are over for the industry. They are over for you as players. They are over for us as a game operator. Nothing is the same since October of 2015. NOTHING.

As most of you know, we were at STATS for most of our 14 years of existence and we never would have even gotten off the ground without them. One person at STATS believed in us and created the web site and back-end game support for us there. They got us through the first seven years before Fanball purchased us. Thankfully I was able to buy back the assets from Liberty Media in 2011 and return to STATS. But all of the people I worked with there are no longer there as STATS is in a fight for their core business, which is business-to-business statistics. They are not a consumer company and this product was not in their wheelhouse. They didn't have the personnel to support it, so we were moving on somewhere, somehow.

What you don't realize is that we are all so lucky that SportsHub Technologies came along when they did. They purchased the NFBC/NFFC at the right time, allowed STATS to feel comfortable enough to service us for a year before rolling out the new site and new software. There might have been only one other option to continue in the space, but this is the best one. Why? Because this whole business model is to be the biggest player in the season-long pay-to-play space. You do that by deferring the state-by-state costs over multiple contests and multiple sports. Look at our space now. Our competitors are not licensed in Indiana, Virginia, New York, Missouri, Tennessee and about a dozen other states like we are. In fact, the first three fantasy companies licensed in Missouri were Fanduel, Draft Kings and SportsHub Technologies. No entrepreneur is going to be able to afford licensing in every single state, so our competitors are picking and choosing which states they can afford to be in and likely figuring out work-arounds in the other states. We aren't doing that. We're paying the piper and allowing all of you to play here without missing a beat from past years.

So the bottom line is that this is more than just your inconveniences right now with the new software. We are building a company and a product that is built for the long-term. We aren't shying away from the items we're missing right now in Live Scoring. We are making those changes quickly and trying our best to not only get this site as good as past years but much, much better. We know that is happening. We understand you wanted everything 7 days ago. We're not making excuses, but this is a massive, massive undertaking that took STATS 14 years to get to last year's product on OLD software. We will get there and then some on MODERN software that is very easily changed for future years and sports.

So I'm trying to be as honest and as transparent and as polite as I can be. But if one more person asks if we can just go back to the old software I'm going to copy and paste this post again and put it in all CAPS AND BOLD TYPE. Everything we do is about moving forward and making the NFBC better. There's 25+ more weeks of the season and we are going to get better every step of the way. That's our promise, so let's move forward together. That's the path we have to take together.

Thanks and hopefully we're on the same page now.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

marknym

Post by marknym » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 am

Greg, thanks for this very detailed post. Sorry that it took reaching a boiling point for you to post all this info, but know that it's appreciated. It seems that a decent number of owners are in-the-know about the behind the scenes stuff, perhaps due to being long-time players who have become your friends, or maybe at live events some of this stuff gets discussed. I really don't know. Speaking as an online-only player (to date), I didn't know about 95% of this info, so it's nice to put the entire thing in perspective. Thanks.
Mark Evans

swamp fox

Post by swamp fox » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 pm

I'll be as polite as I can be on your last statement: NO WE AREN'T GOING BACK TO THE OLD SITE. I appreciate the fact that you and others got accustomed to the old site and liked where everything was and the items that were being featured. I get it. It was comfortable and you understood the site fully. I have no issues with anyone complaining about learning a new site that doesn't have everything from before.

seriously? our issue has been adapting and learning how to use a new website? this person is simply stating that they think this new site doesnt even come close to hitting on what it took stats/etc/etc to get down over seasons. when people reference the old site i dont think any of us actually want THAT SITE back we are simply saying what we were delivered this year was piss poor compared to the last site. to still not be able to search FA's based on week 1 or week 2 stats isnt a glitch or us adapting its IT and whoever "tested" this new site's fault.

gimme a break...

CASS

Post by CASS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 am

swamp fox wrote:I'll be as polite as I can be on your last statement: NO WE AREN'T GOING BACK TO THE OLD SITE. I appreciate the fact that you and others got accustomed to the old site and liked where everything was and the items that were being featured. I get it. It was comfortable and you understood the site fully. I have no issues with anyone complaining about learning a new site that doesn't have everything from before.

seriously? our issue has been adapting and learning how to use a new website? this person is simply stating that they think this new site doesnt even come close to hitting on what it took stats/etc/etc to get down over seasons. when people reference the old site i dont think any of us actually want THAT SITE back we are simply saying what we were delivered this year was piss poor compared to the last site. to still not be able to search FA's based on week 1 or week 2 stats isnt a glitch or us adapting its IT and whoever "tested" this new site's fault.

gimme a break...
Exactly - no one is complaining about the new site "learning curve". What we are complaining about is BASIC functionality that is no longer available that is critical to day to day management on April 9th. Functionality that worked last year that has not been replaced by a better function. Basic features your development team missed.