Gabe Kapler

Yah Mule

Gabe Kapler

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Are you fucking kidding me?

Nola throws 68 pitches, 48 for strikes and you lift the guy?

Kapler's lucky he has such a cult of personality going with the media. I've already seen a couple people defend this stupidity.

KJ Duke

Re: Gabe Kapler

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Should probably be his limit all season to keep him healthy. :ugeek:

disclosure: zero nolas

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Should probably be his limit all season to keep him healthy. :ugeek:

disclosure: zero nolas
Could say that about 70 percent of the top starters out there!

Odd thing was that Nola hit in the top half of the inning.

I was at the game with my family - awesome game. Doesn't get much better for opening day!
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 pm

And he doubles down in the post game.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:43 pm

He smells like Joe Maddon on steroids to me. Has to show everyone how smart he is. Of course as an Alfaro and Herrera owner I am not happy with his lineup decision today. My only hope is Knapp is Nola's personal catcher. Will be interesting to see how he proves he is a genius with Kingery too.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:11 am

Was watching the game. I was as surprised as everyone else, but supposedly Freeman was 0-5 in 2017 against the reliever that Philly brought in. Not sure if Kapler was protecting Nola or over-managing a 5-0 ball game, but it did not work.

Whatever...I loved it!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:43 am

wow- if kapler thinks he is a stats guy going by 0-5 he needs to go back to school. if i was a trey turner owner- i would be more worried about the guy in washington. kapler- he better remember where he is. they just won the super bowl- but by May the boo birds will be out big time if he keeps this up.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 am

Someone on SiriusXM called it “Gabermetrics”.
More like overmanaging.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Kapler must have been absent for the analytics class on sample size as he used a 5 at bat sample in making the decision to pull Nola. Also, if that was such a key spot in the game to put in a lefty to face Freeman, why did he not even use his top lefty in the bullpen (Morgan). Other curious thing from Kapler yesterday:

He sits Odie because Nola is more of a ground ball pitcher and he'd rather have him in the field with a fly ball pitcher on the mound. So if he sits Odie as to save him for a game that requires greater defense, is Kapler saying he values his bat less than both Williams and Altherr?

He uses Florimon to lead off the ninth in a tie game while Kingery is still on the bench. Not only is Kingery a better hitter, he's a better runner as well and the perfect spot to use him leading off an inning. Florimon strikes out and Kingery never gets into the game. What scenario could he have thought would be better to use Kingery?

Following up on the Nola move, two of the Phillies top 3 relievers (Hunter, Neshek) were unavailable, yet he still made the decision to ask the bullpen for 11 outs.

I don't want to overreact to one game, but of all the fears I had of Kapler coming into the season, there couldn't have been a worse script written for the first game to confirm those fears. Well, on to Game 2.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Here's my problem with this procession of relievers strategy that's so popular right now. Every new pitcher you bring into a game has to perform to his capabilities for it to be successful. Each time you bring a new pitcher in, you're increasing the odds that you'll put in a guy who just doesn't have his stuff that day. Aaron Nola is supposed to be the ace of this staff, why are they acting like he's incapable of getting through a lineup three times? What kind of message does that send?

southpaw23

Post by southpaw23 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Knapp in lineup again. I thought he was the 2 and Alfaro was the 1?!? :?

Rog

Post by Rog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Gabe with a classic tonight.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 pm

After using 15 pitchers in his first two games, he can't even wait for these guys to get warmed up anymore. Embarrassing.

And Jake Thompson's in the game. He's now used every reliever on that reliever heavy staff 24 innings into the season.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:15 pm

These long games are not going to help the Phils defense, either. Multiple innings with two pitching changes is not good for your concentration. Four errors tonight. The usually dependable Hernandez let a routine ground ball eat him alive. Hoskins also took a seat in the sixth inning when it was 10-2. Gotta use all 25 guys. Apparently, every game, if possible.