Simple Rules for Pitchers / Mid Week Moves

Chthroop

Simple Rules for Pitchers / Mid Week Moves

Post by Chthroop » Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi,
I am not sure what happend to another thread on the topic but recent injuries to multiple pitchers has really reinforced the need to BRING BACK this functionality. Note, I say Bring Back because people forget we had this functionality (albeit for too short a time). First of all, why do this? NFBC is a competitive game for MONEY where the slightest differences often decide 1st and 2nd Place. Is it fair that someone starts a healthy pitcher in full expectation they would play? You have been kicked by the baseball gods by an injury, now you lose an entire week??

Ok, so the obvious question, how to do this so people dont ABUSE this and stream pitchers? Very Easy:

1. Check players status at the beginning of the week. If a players is on the DL, he CANNOT be moved for the entire week
2. If a player was healthy and in the line up, he can be moved on Friday.

Very simple rules and would address this huge problem

thanks
Chris

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Simple Rules for Pitchers / Mid Week Moves

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 11, 2018 2:50 pm

The discussion about this is on the old boards, which are still alive. Frozen Tundra can easily copy and paste his thoughts along with Dan's thoughts here if they'd like. Just copy and paste those. We downloaded all posts from the STATS boards on Monday, so nothing after that time transferred here. But the boards are still there and anyone can copy a post from this week here. Hopefully STATS can redirect that link to these boards early next week.

As for pitchers being moved on Friday, yes, we did try that before. Just an open free pitching move on your team isn't the answer for sure. It becomes a streaming league, right or wrong. But as we continue to finish up the web site, in future years unique programming tweaks like some there were suggested is possible. It's not now, because we're doing all we can to get the basics down for multiple sports. In the future, I think discussions on how to improve the game -- even if it involves pitching -- makes sense. We always want to evolve and have through the years. The notion that we never change isn't true; this game is different from what we had in 2004.

But programming changes are not simple changes and if we do anything we have to do it right. Again, I'm not against the discussions to improve the game as it deals with injuries, but any change has to be thoroughly thought out and vetted.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Fri May 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Greg,
Why can't this simple rule be implemented:
Lock a player when the player plays, not when his team plays.With the technology nowadays, I don't think it's a big burden.
This will fix a lot of the issues with DL, especially early in the week when the frustration is higher.
Love to hear your thoughts on this.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 pm

I started playing this game last year and put a lot of time into it and it's worth it but any additional rule change that complicates things or is more time consuming will scare people away and that's not good for business. Yes most of the time I follow games and check stats every morning but in the middle of the summer when I have other things to do, I may not and I think that's the case for a lot of people. FAAB and set lineup on Sunday night takes time but that's fine it's once a week, setting lineup on Friday night for the week-end is pretty simple as well but we have to be careful about changes that will require more than that.

Locking a player when he plays rather than when his team plays seems simple but it does complicate things. With the way the game is going, relievers are becoming more common. If you start a reliever and he doesn't throw Monday or Tuesday, you could decide on Wednesday to start the pitcher who hasn't played yet rather than leave the reliever in there. This would mean that someone who has time to make lineup adjustments on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday would have an edge.

Yes it sucks when a pitcher gets scratched, I had Anibal Sanchez in all 4 of my leagues before he hurt himself warming up. Yes it sucked but there's 23 players starting for 27 weeks for a total of 621 spots in the year. It happens to everyone in the year and there's even a decent chance that the replacement I would have used would have had a negative value.

I'm fine with taking a handful of 0's throughout the year knowing everyone else will have some to save myself sometime every Tuesday and Wednesday in the year.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 pm
I started playing this game last year and put a lot of time into it and it's worth it but any additional rule change that complicates things or is more time consuming will scare people away and that's not good for business. Yes most of the time I follow games and check stats every morning but in the middle of the summer when I have other things to do, I may not and I think that's the case for a lot of people. FAAB and set lineup on Sunday night takes time but that's fine it's once a week, setting lineup on Friday night for the week-end is pretty simple as well but we have to be careful about changes that will require more than that.

Locking a player when he plays rather than when his team plays seems simple but it does complicate things. With the way the game is going, relievers are becoming more common. If you start a reliever and he doesn't throw Monday or Tuesday, you could decide on Wednesday to start the pitcher who hasn't played yet rather than leave the reliever in there. This would mean that someone who has time to make lineup adjustments on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday would have an edge.

Yes it sucks when a pitcher gets scratched, I had Anibal Sanchez in all 4 of my leagues before he hurt himself warming up. Yes it sucked but there's 23 players starting for 27 weeks for a total of 621 spots in the year. It happens to everyone in the year and there's even a decent chance that the replacement I would have used would have had a negative value.

I'm fine with taking a handful of 0's throughout the year knowing everyone else will have some to save myself sometime every Tuesday and Wednesday in the year.
You are aware that people make changes Mondays and Tuesdays, just before their teams start playing. So if you are setting and forgetting on Sunday you are already giving an edge to those people. That edge could very well be the difference between winning and losing. The majority of people do make changes on Mondays and Tuesdays (for the money and time they put in this gig, they better be). The player lock rule will not require any more time that that.
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am

It would actually require a daily look at (in some cases, more than 40) teams.
This is why you are not receiving much support here and why this hasn't caught on in the past.
No rule will be changed unless supported by the masses.
You may get some support if making the rule on a Mon-Fri basis like hitters.
If pitchers have not thrown a pitch by Friday, they could then be placed in the lineup.
Even at that, it'll be an uphill battle.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:10 am

Syndergaard's start has been postponed until Tuesday so I would have had to check and make a switch on a Saturday afternoon to switch to another starter... I'll already be getting a two start week next week so who cares that I get a zero this week.

It's a season long game not a daily game. The business goal is to appeal to the mass and the more time it involves, the less appealing it will be.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am
This is why you are not receiving much support here and why this hasn't caught on in the past.
If pitchers have not thrown a pitch by Friday, they could then be placed in the lineup.
Look, this game has evolved. You look at your lineup and make changes Monday, Tuesday and Friday - whether you have 4 or 40 teams.
The Friday hitter switching rule and the flexible player position rule (switching from SS to MI or UTIL for example) were not in the original set of rules. They were implemented because masses (including those with 40 teams) had issues with the inflexibility of the "set it and forget it" weekly lineup and apparently did not mind checking Monday, Tuesday, or Friday evening, in addition to Sunday evening.
The next step would be player lock.
Now, will that require more work than now? I don't think so. This rule is intended to correct DL-d players (especially pitchers and especially early in the week), so 99% of changes will be made Monday and Tuesday as well. However, if you want to prevent daily lineup revisions after Tuesday then you can implement a lineup freeze after Tuesday evening and you are exactly at where you are now.
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Frozen Tundra wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 pm
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am
Look, this game has evolved. You look at your lineup and make changes Monday, Tuesday and Friday - whether you have 4 or 40 teams.
The Friday hitter switching rule and the flexible player position rule (switching from SS to MI or UTIL for example) were not in the original set of rules. They were implemented because masses (including those with 40 teams) had issues with the inflexibility of the "set it and forget it" weekly lineup and apparently did not mind checking Monday, Tuesday, or Friday evening, in addition to Sunday evening.
The next step would be player lock.
Now, will that require more work than now? I don't think so. This rule is intended to correct DL-d players (especially pitchers and especially early in the week), so 99% of changes will be made Monday and Tuesday as well. However, if you want to prevent daily lineup revisions after Tuesday then you can implement a lineup freeze after Tuesday evening and you are exactly at where you are now.
I'm only the devils advocate.
You don't have to convince me. You have to convince many, many others.
Many, many others have to get on the Message Boards or email Greg that they agree with you.
That, is the key.
As said before, any rule change in the NFBC will be hard.
On my tombstone-

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:10 am
Syndergaard's start has been postponed until Tuesday so I would have had to check and make a switch on a Saturday afternoon to switch to another starter... I'll already be getting a two start week next week so who cares that I get a zero this week.

It's a season long game not a daily game. The business goal is to appeal to the mass and the more time it involves, the less appealing it will be.
What do you mean who cares if you get a zero? Please please play in my leagues. I would personally like to add a pitcher in his spot and take his two starts next week since I won't be getting his 2 starts the following week when I was actually planning on it. Two start weeks are part of the strategy not a BONUS. I play with a certain amount of starts for the season I like to hit and with Thor being pushed back this is one less start he will make. So 10ks 1 win and decent ratios down the drain! Add in the DL and missing more pitching starts and we can conservatively say what 4 wins 50-60 ks? See where those numbers put you in the standings at the end of the year. Then tell me no big deal

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:58 am

Gb2715 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:10 am

What do you mean who cares if you get a zero? Please please play in my leagues. I would personally like to add a pitcher in his spot and take his two starts next week since I won't be getting his 2 starts the following week when I was actually planning on it. Two start weeks are part of the strategy not a BONUS. I play with a certain amount of starts for the season I like to hit and with Thor being pushed back this is one less start he will make. So 10ks 1 win and decent ratios down the drain! Add in the DL and missing more pitching starts and we can conservatively say what 4 wins 50-60 ks? See where those numbers put you in the standings at the end of the year. Then tell me no big deal
Syndergaard was supposed to get 1 start last week, now he'll get 2 starts this week. Sure it would have been nice to replace him last week with someone else starting Saturday but who would that replacement have been? Felix Hernandez - 5 IP, 5 ER and 7 K, Chad Kuhl, 6 IP, 3 ER and 6 K...

A good estimation is that this scenario happens to everyone somewhere between 4 and 8 times during the year, the luckiest person gains about 4 extra starts over the unluckiest person. Being able to replace those 4 missing starts with your 10th best pitcher with this rule (about 8th best starter every week) would give you something like 24 IP, 1 W, 20 K, 4.50 ERA and 1.40 WHIP...

It sucks when it happens but it happens to everyone a few times in the year and being able to replace those starts with your 8th best starting pitcher when it does happen isn't much of an edge. It's definitely not worth the trouble and the loss of business for the NFBC. I know I certainly wouldn't sign up for 4 Main Event teams if I had to check my lineup more often during the week.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Ok Philippe, Doughboys and whoever is of the opinion that alternatives to current rules will be more time consuming:

Under current rules. Lineup changes are possible Monday, Tuesday, Friday (hitters only).

Alternative: Player lock instead of team lock, lineup freeze after Tuesday night games, and maintain the Friday hitter replacement rule. Lineup changes are possible Monday, Tuesday, Friday (hitters only). There is zero time difference between current option and alternative.

The alternative corrects one major problem though: replacement of DL bound players (especially pitchers) early in the week.

Thoughts?
-Albert Einstein

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Frozen Tundra wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm
Ok Philippe, Doughboys and whoever is of the opinion that alternatives to current rules will be more time consuming:

Under current rules. Lineup changes are possible Monday, Tuesday, Friday (hitters only).

Alternative: Player lock instead of team lock, lineup freeze after Tuesday night games, and maintain the Friday hitter replacement rule. Lineup changes are possible Monday, Tuesday, Friday (hitters only). There is zero time difference between current option and alternative.

The alternative corrects one major problem though: replacement of DL bound players (especially pitchers) early in the week.

Thoughts?
It's okay but it's a complicated rule to fix something that only happens a few times during the year. I agree it would fix part of the problem but there's still postponed games and pitchers going on the DL later in the week. As someone who started playing this game last year and read all the rules in detail, it's not easy to get started and a rule like that seems to complicate things. I'm a fantasy football guy and at first I didn't even understand why we could switch hitters on Friday and it wasn't just a weekly thing. After playing for a year, now I get it but I don't think this change is necessary.

If you want a simple rule that doesn't add more work for us, add a replacement pitcher slot. That pitcher's stats are automatically used at the end of the week if one of your pitchers doesn't throw a pitch during the week. Simple to understand, doesn't add any more work and fixes all the issues whether it's a game being postponed, a pitcher being placed on the DL early or late in the week. I don't know if we're there with programming but I think it would make more sense.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm
Frozen Tundra wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Thoughts?
It's okay but it's a complicated rule to fix something that only happens a few times during the year. I agree it would fix part of the problem but there's still postponed games and pitchers going on the DL later in the week. As someone who started playing this game last year and read all the rules in detail, it's not easy to get started and a rule like that seems to complicate things. I'm a fantasy football guy and at first I didn't even understand why we could switch hitters on Friday and it wasn't just a weekly thing. After playing for a year, now I get it but I don't think this change is necessary.

If you want a simple rule that doesn't add more work for us, add a replacement pitcher slot. That pitcher's stats are automatically used at the end of the week if one of your pitchers doesn't throw a pitch during the week. Simple to understand, doesn't add any more work and fixes all the issues whether it's a game being postponed, a pitcher being placed on the DL early or late in the week. I don't know if we're there with programming but I think it would make more sense.
I don't see the complication, Philippe. You do exactly what you are doing now, except that on Monday and Tuesday you can also replace a DL bound player with a reserve who hasn't played yet. I think it's pretty simple. You don't have to check your lineup more often than you are checking now. And, I think you are underestimating a bit the importance of DL players (esp pitchers) early in the week. With the new MLB 10 day DL rule, DL bound players are more frequent. This proposal will not fix everything, but will fix a lot. What you are proposing is change in the structure, and that can get complicated. I am just proposing a tweak in the current rule.
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm

We have Ivan Nola and Fernando Rodney on our roster.
We decide to bench Rodney.
Then, Tuesday night, Minnesota has a three run lead and we know Rodney will be entering the game.
He hasn't thrown a pitch, yet we can put him in the game for Nola, since it is an ideal situation and he has not thrown a pitch.
Fair?
That is up to each competitor.
However, it would not meet with the spirit of our game.
Would it?
On my tombstone-

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm
We have Ivan Nola and Fernando Rodney on our roster.
We decide to bench Rodney.
Then, Tuesday night, Minnesota has a three run lead and we know Rodney will be entering the game.
He hasn't thrown a pitch, yet we can put him in the game for Nola, since it is an ideal situation and he has not thrown a pitch.
Fair?
That is up to each competitor.
However, it would not meet with the spirit of our game.
Would it?
I think you mean Ivan Nova. Rodney would not enter for (Aaron) Nola in my book even if he had to throw half a pitch to get the save :)
I don't see where the spirit of the game is infringed. You are saying: I have a borderline starter and a borderline reliever and the borderline reliever is presented with a save chance, do I take that chance? Well, that is a double edged sword, ain't it? First, a borderline reliever can get shelled, replaced, and not see a chance for another week so there goes your save. If you think that is an edge, go ahead and use it because it's an edge like I said that cut both ways. It could end up cutting you instead of your opponent. How many times people start mediocre two start pitchers and sit a RP or a one start pitcher and never learn their lesson?
That is not a situation that will interfere with this rule IMO. If the outcome is not known, the rule is solid.
-Albert Einstein

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm

It gives an edge to someone who is sitting by his computer at 9:30 PM every Tuesday night to make that decision.

I just looked at the MLB Transactions so far this year. Found all the fantasy relevant pitchers who were placed on the DL on a Tuesday or Wednesday and it's happened about 12 times so far this year so on average once per team so far so about 4 times a year... Not worth the trouble

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 14, 2018 10:21 pm

It's not in the spirit of the game.
Rodney enters a golden situation.
We shouldn't be entering a pitcher knowing an in-game situation.
Opening a can of worms to solve a lesser problem.
Deal breaker.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 pm

Another situation...
Manaea throws three innings.
Oakland is ahead 6-0
Manaea is removed because of blisters.
Petit is warming in the bullpen.
His owners in DC's remove pitchers from the starting lineup to put in Petit for a probable Win.

It's just not our game.
On my tombstone-

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 am

Phillipe27 you do realize that Thor was to have a 2 start next week right? So by him being pushed back and having a 2 start this week he won't be having one next week. So you DID NOT gain a start you still lost a start and in a season long league any missed start can lose you your league. I was counting on Thor's 1 start last week 1 start this week and 2 starts the following week. That's 4 starts. Now I get 3. Yay!!!!!

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:31 am

Gb2715 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 am
Phillipe27 you do realize that Thor was to have a 2 start next week right? So by him being pushed back and having a 2 start this week he won't be having one next week. So you DID NOT gain a start you still lost a start and in a season long league any missed start can lose you your league. I was counting on Thor's 1 start last week 1 start this week and 2 starts the following week. That's 4 starts. Now I get 3. Yay!!!!!
You do realize that the season doesn't end in 2 weeks and that depending on how his starts fall it may not matter at all. You also do realize that no matter the rule, you wouldn't have gotten that "4th" Thor start but you would have gotten a start from your 10th best pitcher who hadn't yet started that week so like Kuhl or Hernandez that I named earlier.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am

Yes I do and if he's on my roster he is worth plugging in when I need him. That's the point of a bench. This has happened 4 times already and it's May! So let's say it happens 6 more times that's 10 starts or 10 RP. So conservatively I'm going to say 60 k's, 4 wins, 1 save 4.0 era and 1.25 whip. Those are not useless stats. I would love to have those instead of zeros! At the end of the season that could be the difference in $700 or $125,000 and if you think those numbers there won't count you are flat out wrong and come find me with this post in October.

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 am

Gb2715 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am
Yes I do and if he's on my roster he is worth plugging in when I need him. That's the point of a bench. This has happened 4 times already and it's May! So let's say it happens 6 more times that's 10 starts or 10 RP. So conservatively I'm going to say 60 k's, 4 wins, 1 save 4.0 era and 1.25 whip. Those are not useless stats. I would love to have those instead of zeros! At the end of the season that could be the difference in $700 or $125,000 and if you think those numbers there won't count you are flat out wrong and come find me with this post in October.
It's not about how many times it happens to you but it's about how many times more it happens to you than others. If it happens to everyone 10 times then the impact is negligible.

The Syndergaard postponed game happened on a Saturday. Any rule change that would fix that either requires daily changes which is out of the question for the large majority of people. Not only because of the time commitment but also because it creates a whole other set of problems with in game changes with relief pitchers. The other solution is to set a replacement spot at the beginning of the week like I suggested earlier.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 pm
Another situation...
Manaea throws three innings.
Oakland is ahead 6-0
Manaea is removed because of blisters.
Petit is warming in the bullpen.
His owners in DC's remove pitchers from the starting lineup to put in Petit for a probable Win.

It's just not our game.
You are bordering on extreme rarity there. The MRs worth starting in this format can be counted in one hand, and they are starting whether they are presented with a win early in the week or not. I would not start a MR because he is presented with a chance of a win (Petit can throw only one IP or blow it up for all I know) but what you are bringing up (this and the Rodney situation) are special situations with no edge.

Instead, let me describe you a more realistic situation that would make you rethink the spirit of the game. Let's say you are leading the main event with a week to go in a nice September Monday afternoon and you only need to fend off opposition in Ks to lock that $125K everyone covets. You have lined up your power aces and are feeling good. Problem is that on that same Monday night one of your aces goes on the 10 day DL, after his team has started playing. Since you now are carrying one dead spot in pitching for the whole week, you end up dropping some points because of you came up couple of Ks short, and instead end up second in the main event, which cost you about $90 grand. In retrospect, any reserve SP would have gotten you those few Ks. Ninety Thousand Dollars burning in your dugout, player.

This is going to happen - very soon. You can say, well it's part of the game. But this is what I hear from the H2H fantasy player when I tell him - I don't play H2H fantasy baseball because it's pure luck. A hot team can just run over you on any playoff week and your season and hard work is over. They say: well, it's part of the game.

My point is: Cannot have fluke situations take away the hard work everyone is putting into this. On the other hand, we can't just ignore what I just described and chalk it up to: it's going to complicate things, or "we always done things this way". We have to look at this and find a solution. We have remedied hitters, since we have a Friday switch. However, pitchers are still left in the cold. They are 5 pitching categories that are as important as the 5 hitting categories in this game the last time I checked. The spirit of the game says that we cannot have this out of balance.
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm

On the hypotheticals, you are missing the point.
The point is that NONE of us want to see in-game Management.
Your change brings that Pandora's box into play.
As written, there is no chance for it to become a new rule.

As far as change, I hear you.
However we cannot clean up one situation by making a far more murkier problem.
Right now, pitchers missing starts are not prevalent.
They are annoying to those that it happens to, much like a hitter who gets hurt on Monday.
This rule, as mentioned, has been brought up several times in the past. Nobody has found an answer.
There are many who would like to change the rule.
The problem being that there is a hole in each 'solution'.
We all don't want in-game management of a pitcher.
Greg does not want streaming of pitchers.
You don't like the limitation of pitchers.
It is just tough to find a solution that pleases everybody.
Until we find the answer that most people can embrace, the rule that we have will stay in place.
On my tombstone-