Simple Rules for Pitchers / Mid Week Moves

Gb2715

Re: Simple Rules for Pitchers / Mid Week Moves

Post by Gb2715 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 am
Gb2715 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am
Yes I do and if he's on my roster he is worth plugging in when I need him. That's the point of a bench. This has happened 4 times already and it's May! So let's say it happens 6 more times that's 10 starts or 10 RP. So conservatively I'm going to say 60 k's, 4 wins, 1 save 4.0 era and 1.25 whip. Those are not useless stats. I would love to have those instead of zeros! At the end of the season that could be the difference in $700 or $125,000 and if you think those numbers there won't count you are flat out wrong and come find me with this post in October.
It's not about how many times it happens to you but it's about how many times more it happens to you than others. If it happens to everyone 10 times then the impact is negligible.

The Syndergaard postponed game happened on a Saturday. Any rule change that would fix that either requires daily changes which is out of the question for the large majority of people. Not only because of the time commitment but also because it creates a whole other set of problems with in game changes with relief pitchers. The other solution is to set a replacement spot at the beginning of the week like I suggested earlier.
When it happens to me with Thor or Kershaw compared to someone else who has Lester or Stratton it is a big deal. I drafted top pitchers they drafted top hitters so I'm losing because of this. They can swap their Top hitters but I can't swap my top pitchers so it's and unfair advantage to owners that have put s premium on pitching. My opinion is allowing both hitting and pitching changes on Friday's or don't. One or the other. If you can't swap pitchers you can't swap hitters.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

We can't find a solution with pitching, so let's take a step backwards for hitting?
That is no answer.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

So far, the best solution is to allow a pitcher on the bench, to be moved to the starting lineup on Friday, if not throwing a pitch MON-THU.
This would allow a compromise for most.
It also takes away in-game and daily management since the changes would have to be made with the hitters on Friday.
It would change our game a bit in that relievers could also be activated if not throwing a pitch, but that would be part of the compromise.
Even though this may be the compromise that most would allow, it probably has no chance of being a new rule.
Most in the NFBC are happy/comfortable with the rules as is.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 am
Gb2715 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am
Yes I do and if he's on my roster he is worth plugging in when I need him. That's the point of a bench. This has happened 4 times already and it's May! So let's say it happens 6 more times that's 10 starts or 10 RP. So conservatively I'm going to say 60 k's, 4 wins, 1 save 4.0 era and 1.25 whip. Those are not useless stats. I would love to have those instead of zeros! At the end of the season that could be the difference in $700 or $125,000 and if you think those numbers there won't count you are flat out wrong and come find me with this post in October.
It's not about how many times it happens to you but it's about how many times more it happens to you than others. If it happens to everyone 10 times then the impact is negligible.

The Syndergaard postponed game happened on a Saturday. Any rule change that would fix that either requires daily changes which is out of the question for the large majority of people. Not only because of the time commitment but also because it creates a whole other set of problems with in game changes with relief pitchers. The other solution is to set a replacement spot at the beginning of the week like I suggested earlier.
When it happens to me with Thor or Kershaw compared to someone else who has Lester or Stratton it is a big deal. I drafted top pitchers they drafted top hitters so I'm losing because of this. They can swap their Top hitters but I can't swap my top pitchers so it's and unfair advantage to owners that have put s premium on pitching. My opinion is allowing both hitting and pitching changes on Friday's or don't. One or the other. If you can't swap pitchers you can't swap hitters.
If it's such a disadvantage then why did you draft top pitchers?

I agree with DOUGHBOYS, it's the only solution that would make some sense. I wouldn't fight for it or fight against it.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

So 7% of teams competing for an overall prize of $125,000 or the OC or DCs are just suppose to say eh just unlucky? I'll get em next year? When you can win or lose those big prizes because of 1 win or 4ks or 1 save I would think we would want to make this about the skill of drafting and in season management as much as possible. A pitcher being perfectly healthy and his wife have a baby or his gma passing away on a Thursday should not affect the outcome of a contest like this.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Gb, that's what they are saying. As long as 93% is not affected or is fine with the status quo, few will care about the 7%, right or wrong.

I see Doughboys point about trying to avoid in-game management, even though in my opinion there would be no clear edge. However, in game management will open up a debate about any player switch before an at bat or a pitch, much like expanding instant replay opens up a can of worms. Get it and I am OK with it.

On the other hand, Greg and most will not agree to a full pitcher Friday switch ala hitters because it opens up the issue of streaming. Essentially, you can swap out one pitcher than has already played with another weekend starter or a RP, making most of your lineup either two start pitching or a one start with extra RP.

So we are left with Philippe's or Doughboy's idea of one replacement pitcher on Friday.

However - and I'm asking Philippe and Doughboys, has this ever been considered: allow Friday pitcher replacements when both these conditions are met: 1) they have not pitched Mon-Thur and 2) the replacements have obviously not pitched Mon-Thur. This seems to remedy the DL for pitchers and does not allow streaming since we are not replacing pitchers who have already played. Also, there is no in game management. The obvious replacement would be a DL pitcher with a RP or SP who has yet to pitch.

Thanks
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm

I'll just repeat my previous post.....

So far, the best solution is to allow a pitcher on the bench, to be moved to the starting lineup on Friday, if not throwing a pitch MON-THU.
This would allow a compromise for most.
It also takes away in-game and daily management since the changes would have to be made with the hitters on Friday.
It would change our game a bit in that relievers could also be activated if not throwing a pitch, but that would be part of the compromise.
Even though this may be the compromise that most would allow, it probably has no chance of being a new rule.
Most in the NFBC are happy/comfortable with the rules as is.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Fellas,
I have been here a long time.
The fact that not a lot of others are chiming in speaks volumes.
To most, this is not a large issue. Or, they are in the present, not wanting to concern themselves with a future rule now.
If serious about wanting to change any rule, bringing it up near the end of the current season is the best time to do so.
Right now, most folks are involved with their teams with the rules that are on the books now.
Just an fyi.
On my tombstone-

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Good advice. Thanks
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 pm
Fellas,
To most, this is not a large issue. Or, they are in the present, not wanting to concern themselves with a future rule now.
If serious about wanting to change any rule, bringing it up near the end of the current season is the best time to do so.
Right now, most folks are involved with their teams with the rules that are on the books now.
Just an fyi.

Agreed!!!

Or they could just be frustrated with these new awful message boards we have

lrr

Post by lrr » Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I agree that there is no easy solution. But there is a certain pain, call it the pain in my "Soroka", when you lose a starting pitcher. Well admittedly, I would have no one to substitute for him at the moment. But if it could be programmed, and I think this was suggested many times, but give me ten pitcher replacements during the year. So I can remove a locked pitcher with anyone I want whether or not he pitched. Of course, I would only get the stats of the pitcher I put in after he was placed in the lineup. So I could put a reliever for example who already pitched into the lineup. If this type a rule were in play, I could see people drafting deeper pitching staffs. And I know people could play fast and loose with putting in a player already on the DL at the beginning of the week and removing him later for something better. But either a DL at the beginning of the week exemption could be put in play. Or if someone wants to use one of their ten for that so be it. Anything to get rid of the pain in my "Soroka." I know it's too complicated. But everything is complicated.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fellas,
Just an fyi.

Agreed!!!

These are the same third-party Message Boards we had before. In fact they are upgraded by PHP, who provides these forums for free. We've seen what happens when a high stakes contest switches to a new format and the results aren't pretty. People bitched a lot. Well, they do that here too, but we weren't going to mess with the MB format. We kept the same software we've had since 2004 and have the entire history of posts to prove it.

Maybe they're just frustrated with the tone of every post here. That could be it!!
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I'll chime in to say that I agree with Dan's assessment that for every step forward you make with correcting pitching injuries you create two new stumbling steps backwards. We certainly tried this with pitching changes on Fridays and enough people figured out ways to game the situation, even when those players had to be on the DL. There's no easy solution here and some of the suggestions are possible but solve very little. Sure, as the software becomes better and we have time to really look at this problem maybe something can be tried with injured pitchers. But there are few solutions if any that can completely cure the issue of lost starts and innings after lineups lock early in the week without opening a whole new Pandora's box of issues, both technically and in the understanding of the rules by new potential players.

Likely an end of season discussion makes the most sense.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 pm
Gb2715 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fellas,
Just an fyi.

Agreed!!!

These are the same third-party Message Boards we had before. In fact they are upgraded by PHP, who provides these forums for free. We've seen what happens when a high stakes contest switches to a new format and the results aren't pretty. People bitched a lot. Well, they do that here too, but we weren't going to mess with the MB format. We kept the same software we've had since 2004 and have the entire history of posts to prove it.

Maybe they're just frustrated with the tone of every post here. That could be it!!

I’m not trying to be a pain or argue here Greg but when you say these are the same boards why are they completely different to navigate and operate? At some point when there was the switch there was a software downgrade. Nothing has worked the same on the new boards. That was my point. But whatever

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sat May 19, 2018 3:27 pm

Gb .... are you referring to the Message Boards, or the website? I don't find any discernible difference on the Message Boards, but I do find wholesale differences on the website.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun May 20, 2018 9:29 am

Greg, these are the exact same PHP boards we've always had. They are third party -- they are free to use for any Internet company thanks to the works of another company, very similar to Firefox or Google Chrome when it comes to browsers -- and they are their latest upgraded version of the UBB boards. We don't control the look and feel of the boards. The only differences I see are the Last Post button doesn't take you to the Last Post (in 15 years I never even saw that button or used it), the color is blue instead of gray, and for some reason it scrolls to the bottom of the last post in some instances. It seems to be a bit slower, but we'll see what we can do there.

Basically we imported 15 years of posts to the same platform so that there was as little change to these boards as possible while retaining our historical data. Trust me, we've seen one example of a high-stakes contest switching their boards to an entirely new platform and not only losing their historical data but their current customers, too. We wanted to avoid that. STATS did a great job of transferring all of the data to us and we placed all of this on the exact same platform. Again, it was updated from PHP, which built this platform, but beyond that nothing is changed. Sorry if they didn't upgrade it as well as you would like, but again we are happy to use these boards and keep things rolling. We have been using these same PHP boards since 2004 and will likely continue using them for a long, long time.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius