Tiebreaker

mbendar16

Tiebreaker

Post by mbendar16 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Not to rebring up a sore subject for some, but since all 4 teams that could potentially play a divisional title game in the NL are already in the playoffs, would they still count as a regular season game for NFBC leagues?

Bronx Yankees

Re: Tiebreaker

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am

My understanding is that if Dodgers-Rockies and/or Cubs-Brewers are tied for the divisional lead after today, they will play a tie-breaker game to determine who is the division winner and who is the wild card team. My understanding also is that any tie-breaker game is considered part of the regular season and, therefore, still counts for fantasy purposes. Thus, for better or worse, there may be lineups to set for tomorrow (but no FAAB).

If I’m wrong about this, please correct.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:22 am

That's been the case every year. Tiebreakers are regular season and count. No FAAB.

This is also the annual call to queue for people to whine because they didn't have the foresight to predict tiebreaker teams when they drafted or did last FAAB :twisted:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:09 pm

If we have to make lineups for these playoffs, it would be good to... you know, have a page for that.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Rotofan18

Post by Rotofan18 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Congrats Mike on another great season. You are a tremendous player!!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:09 pm
If we have to make lineups for these playoffs, it would be good to... you know, have a page for that.
Good.
Now we need the MIA-PIT game deleted and the MIL-CHI and COL-LAD games added.
Thanks!
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Good to go.
Thanks.
On my tombstone-

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:57 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm
Good to go.
Thanks.

Stack your line-up with all remaing available players & hope for a miracle in Games 163. Does anybody like not having the finality of the season end today? This is gimmicky & not how the season should end nor how league payouts should be determined. Contest should end today & include only "games regularly schedulued from the start of the season." Game 163 is Week 17 in football as far as I'm concerned. Bad rule.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:10 pm

COZ wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:57 pm
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm
Good to go.
Thanks.

Stack your line-up with all remaing available players & hope for a miracle in Games 163. Does anybody like not having the finality of the season end today? This is gimmicky & not how the season should end nor how league payouts should be determined. Contest should end today & include only "games regularly schedulued from the start of the season." Game 163 is Week 17 in football as far as I'm concerned. Bad rule.
Totally agree.
It's a bad rule that has stood the test of time in the NFBC.
It's fun for real life baseball.
For fantasy baseball, it is like switching the game from real poker to 'Deuces and Jacks' are wild'.

We can draft after two games have been played in Japan.
We can also do without the playoff games, even if counting as seasonal stats.
Can't we?
On my tombstone-

California Aces

Post by California Aces » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 pm

I feel that fantasy baseball should not include the last week, like the week 17 in fantasy football. If you draft players on teams that clinch, that last week can really screw things up.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am

California Aces wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 pm
I feel that fantasy baseball should not include the last week, like the week 17 in fantasy football. If you draft players on teams that clinch, that last week can really screw things up.
The beauty of the NFBC is that everyone has opinions on every facet of the contest -- and of Major League Baseball -- and in many ways we're all right about our opinions. Some folks want the NFBC season to end on September 1st. Some want it to end before the last week of the regular season. Some want it to end after every team plays 162 games. And nobody is totally wrong.

This year we have four teams playing 163 games and two teams (Pittsburgh and Miami) playing 161 games. We had more rainouts in 2018 than ever before, resulting in a few doubleheaders where starters sat one of those games. It was a crazy season from a scheduling standpoint.

But Major League Baseball counts them all. If Christian Yelich wins the Triple Crown with enough RBIs today there isn't an asterisk next to his name for doing so in the 163rd game. It's part of the regular season statistics and thus it counts. In the NFBC, we count all statistics from the regular season and that includes a 163rd game on Monday or even if the Pirates-Marlins had their makeup game on this Monday, like Major League Baseball had scheduled before cancelling last Wednesday.

Some may rightfully think it's gimmicky and unnecessary, but we want all of the statistics from the regular season to count as part of the 2018 NFBC season, so we include Japan Games before the Main Event drafting season at times and divisional tie-breaker games. These two games will decide the divisional title in two instances today. While some owners could benefit from plus numbers today, some could be negatively affected by bad pitching performances or oh-fer at-bats. We let you decide which players you want to start today from those four teams.

I'm sure others disagree with our position on the divisional tie-breaker games, but at least you see our reasoning. The rule has been the same since the NFBC started in 2004. Hope this helps and good luck everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DDK

Post by DDK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 am

Yes, I am whining. I hope not, but I could lose over $25,000 that would have been mine yesterday.

But I was wondering if NFBC even checked into matters once this kind of thing became legislated. I'm no lawyer and perhaps naive to gambling in general but I would think games of chance under legislation would require equal chance for all participants (at least where it can be controlled).

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 am

(Dorian, good luck today. I am not whining here because it may hurt me in contests, only because it's a bad rule :mrgreen: )

These playoffs do not add to the enjoyment of our fantasy game.
More so, It detracts.
We have the power to count the games or not count the games.
We can change things.
We can draft after two games have been played just as we can NOT count playoff games after the last day of the season.
We are free to do that.
Baseball has these playoff games for more money.
Other sports have tie-breakers to avoid these games. Not baseball.
Because baseball counts these as seasonal stats and not playoff stats, doesn't mean that we have to do the same.
We are fantasy baseball players. We do not have to go along with how MLB exploits ties for more money.
It may add excitement to those who live in LA, MIL, COL, and CHI, for us it is unfair and only beneficial to few.
Because we have had a rule for a long time, does not mean its right. It is not a good rule now or then.

I'll let go now.
Good luck to everybody today!

Edit- Significant rain is forecast for Southern California today.
On my tombstone-

thepats

Post by thepats » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 pm

I'd like to see this change. I know MLB includes today's numbers in their stats but that doesn't mean we have to. Our games are not identical. My problem with it is that it introduces a bit more luck into the equation and no skill. None of us drafted last March thinking we need to draft a bunch of Brewers in anticipation of the tiebreaker game. To be totally honest, part of my problem might be that it personally affects me as we are currently 11th in the Overall Draft Champions. We have Kiki Hernandez available today. The team ahead of us has Yelich, Bryant and Story.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm

No Game 163s. It just adds more luck into a contest where we try to minimize that component wherever possible.

At the very least owners should not be able to readjust lineups.