Spring Training Can't Come Soon Enough

Greg Ambrosius

Spring Training Can't Come Soon Enough

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:17 am

I know it was a very cold baseball off-season, but today's weather has taken this to another stratosphere. I actually ventured into work this morning and the thermometer read 23 degrees below zero and the wind chill was -49. THAT'S INSANE!!

I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life, so I'm used to cold weather, BUT not anything like this. You NEVER get used to this weather and certainly nothing 20 degrees below zero. The wind chill works through any piece of clothing and if you're lucky enough to own a moustache it freezes IMMEDIATELY. :lol:

Stay warm everyone. We have two days of this Arctic blast and then it's supposed to rise to 40 or above by Saturday. That's a 60 degree difference in 48 hours. Wow.

Oh, and Major League Baseball can help things out by signing the 120+ free agents who are still unsigned, including superstars like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. It's time to get baseball on the front page again and a few signings would help. Pitchers and catchers report in less than 3 weeks, so let's start heating things up baseball. This has been the most boring off-season in memory.

Okay, back to my space heater. Damn, it's cold. I'm thinking about spring training in Arizona already. Please be warmer than this by early march. PLEEEEEASE!!!

How cold (or warm if you're lucky) is it where you are today? Inquiring minds want to know.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Sack

Re: Spring Training Can't Come Soon Enough

Post by Sack » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Thirty three degrees today in Central Jersey. It was suppose to be much colder, can't imagine being that far "minus" as you are experiencing. Guess that FSTA weather from Tampa is a distant memory? Stay safe and warm.

Good day to work on the Cheatsheets for March. 32 days until the Chip and I meet up with Mr Christie in Florida for some Spring Training
action. Looking forward to meeting the NFBC family in March out in Vegas - always a great time.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:39 pm

One time in college in Pittsburgh (I think ‘93) it got to negative 22 at night without the wind chill. They had “brown-outs” throughout the city but my school was open the next morning.

I’ve only experienced this once in my life:

Walk outside, breathe out the warm air.
Breathe in the cold air.
Breathe out the cold air and you feel all of the moisture that’s inside your nose.

Donacion

Post by Donacion » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Greg

Just got off the golf course here in Las Vegas. 65 degrees no wind. Being an ex east coaster Pittsburgh and New Jersey just can’t imagine going through dangerous cold anymore. Quick question I’m really interested in the Dirty Dozen signups look a little light, what happens if you don’t get the required signups?
Stay safe everyone.

Joe Lecak

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:42 am

The real temperature was -26 at 7 am CT today. That's insanity. The wind has died down some today, so the wind chill is only around -40 right now and we should hit a high of -4 late this afternoon. We finally get above 0 tomorrow. Whoopee!!!

C'mon baseball, it's time to open camp for pitchers and catchers. Please show me green grass SOMEHWERE!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Sack

Post by Sack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 am

Greg:

Word on the street it is so COLD that you are breaking out of Wisconsin and coming
to NYC this year! Will your Brother also be along for the ride? Considering how much the three of
you enjoy passing through the roads in NJ, we may need to start planning a search and rescue!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 am

Sack wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 am
Greg:

Word on the street it is so COLD that you are breaking out of Wisconsin and coming
to NYC this year! Will your Brother also be along for the ride? Considering how much the three of
you enjoy passing through the roads in NJ, we may need to start planning a search and rescue!
I'm definitely coming to the Big Apple this year. Tom and myself are going to run the New York drafts and auctions. Mike is saving himself up for a busy week in Las Vegas. In fact, he's so soft that he's now in Florida like most AARP members sunning himself for six weeks while his kids watch over his place in Minnesota. He's gotten soft in his old age. :lol:

Tom, Darik, Mike, myself and Brady will be in full force and ready for Opening Weekend and NFBC drafts/auctions in Las Vegas March 21-27. We're there on Wednesday and staying through the Thursday MLB Openers. Can't wait to hang out with everyone. And in New York City, Andy is picking out the Friday Night Irish Pub and I have a feeling we'll have to drink some green beer on St. Patrick's Day on Sunday as well. Can't wait. I love the Big Apple. Tom and I only get lost when flying into Philadelphia and driving to Atlantic City. We'll never do that again!! :lol:

See you and Chip soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:07 am

Yes this winter reminds me of my favorite baseball quote. Rogers Hornsby, St Louis Cardinal superstar,

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring". Rogers Hornsby
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:24 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:42 am
The real temperature was -26 at 7 am CT today. That's insanity. The wind has died down some today, so the wind chill is only around -40 right now and we should hit a high of -4 late this afternoon. We finally get above 0 tomorrow. Whoopee!!!

Greg,
I heard this on some news I was listening to and immediately thought of you. Detroit has hit a record low of -13. Looking forward to going to Lakeland at the end of the month for some spring training!
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

thepats

Post by thepats » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:14 am

70 degrees here in Dunedin, FL. I just picked up some tickets at the Blue Jays ballpark. The Tigers will be here to kick of Spring Training in just 22 days.