Looking For Feedback On Second Half NFBC Leagues

Greg Ambrosius

Looking For Feedback On Second Half NFBC Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm

One of the things that the NFBC Second Chance Leagues proved to us is that our guys love to draft!! And at any point in the season.

We were ecstatic to sell out the debut Second Chance contest with 180 teams and we wish everyone best of luck who participated in that contest. It should be a blast to see how that plays out, but we loved the drafts, we loved the publicity the rankings generated and we're going to love to reward someone with the $10,000 grand prize. Good luck all.

With that in mind, we do have the capability with our software to start a new private league at any time and run the stats from any point through the end of the regular season. In the past, we ran Second Half leagues at the All-Star break and we plan on doing that again this year. We are planning to have drafts on that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (there is one game on Thursday, July 11th, but as private leagues we can manage that). Stats would accumulate from July 11th through the end of the regular season and we'll pay Top 3 within the league.

Those will be easy to set up. And if there's demand for private, 15-team leagues before the All-Star Break we can do that as well.

One thought we've had is to offer $150, 15-Team Second Half Leagues that include a FREE 2020 Main Event entry to the league champion and $300 for second place. That would pay back 89 percent and be a great payback for the league champion. We could pick a night of the week that is best for the online draft and then run stats from that next Monday through the end of the season. Any interest in this idea? If so, what day or night would be best for drafts?

So you could run a draft on the weekend of June 8-10 (not sure what day or night is best) and then run that private league with stats accumulating from June 11th through the end of the regular season. You could do that each week if demand is there until the All-Star Break. Again, I don't know if there's interest in this type of Second Half League, but the software is capable of making it happen and a FREE 2020 Main Event entry for a $150 entry seems like a good win.

Just a thought. Best of luck in all your current season-long leagues and thanks for any feedback. Again, these would all be 15-team leagues and really the only rule change would be the Minimum Innings Pitched limit, which would be 450-500. Hope that helps.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Doctor Who

Re: Looking For Feedback On Second Half NFBC Leagues

Post by Doctor Who » Fri May 31, 2019 2:45 am

Well my whole post got deleted so I’ll just do the quick version of what I said... monthly leagues. Draft in June for July 1-july31st Stats and winner decided in a month. Would be a nice crossover for the DFS type players. Could be stand alone leagues.

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am

I love the concept of giving out Free Main Event entry but I think they have to be Draft Champions contests to generate significant interest.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri May 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am
I love the concept of giving out Free Main Event entry but I think they have to be Draft Champions contests to generate significant interest.
I agree.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 31, 2019 12:59 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Yeah, we're not trying to pile on more FAAB leagues, but would people do 50 round nightly drafts? We're all for offering the DC format instead of a FAAB league if that's what folks want. Just say the word.

That's why we're asking here. Whatever works and has the demand to fill a league we'll provide it. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:10 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:59 pm
Philippe27 wrote:
Yeah, we're not trying to pile on more FAAB leagues, but would people do 50 round nightly drafts? We're all for offering the DC format instead of a FAAB league if that's what folks want. Just say the word.

That's why we're asking here. Whatever works and has the demand to fill a league we'll provide it. Thanks.
Since it'll be for half the year and a lot of prospects are already up, maybe a 40 round DC would make sense? When we draft in March we don't even know who will make the MLB roster but at this point I don't think it's worth drafting those last 10 rounds.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm

And that is possible too.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

judydon

Post by judydon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:50 am

The rules say"The NFBC season will extend from the first game of the MLB season through the final games". That did not happen and I feel like I wasted my money as mt draft was based on this

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:26 am

I initially was very skeptical of the second chance / Memorial Day league contest. I didn't think there would be interest. As it got closer, I started getting more interested and jumped in one. It is hard to get back into draft mode but super fun to try to outsmart everyone else on second half performance. Recency bias is such a thing. Also fun to hear some of the buzz / content that came from the industry folks. Once I did one draft, I wanted to do more but it was full. I don't think I would change a thing for this contest except make it bigger. The FAAB part can be viewed as a negative but honestly the NFBC FAAB setup has come so far over the last few years and is by far the easiest / best in the industry. Also, wow - so many new names / players it seemed like. Awesome.

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:51 am

judydon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:50 am
The rules say"The NFBC season will extend from the first game of the MLB season through the final games". That did not happen and I feel like I wasted my money as mt draft was based on this
This may be the most hilarious unintentional post of the year. The man does have a point & feel badly if he read the rules literally, but his comment also lends itself to an interesting concept, 2nd Chance leagues where drafts include stats from Day 1. Interesting. I didn't do any 2nd Chance Leagues for multiple reasons but mainly because I'm shit deep in FAAB leagues and I have already placed my bets (rather poorly I might add), but was definitely tempted to pick-up a team and although I'm a 15-team snob, I think the 12 team format is right for this game. Generally, speaking I like the idea & having it built around Memorial Day weekend is a perfect time for these drafts.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:12 pm

I loved this.

I would’ve liked the option for 15 team leagues. But I also liked the feel of a OC part 2 feel to these leagues.

I’d be ok with a dc format too. 40 rounds would work. I decrease the clock to 45 sec per pick for the last 10 rounds to speed it up.

I’ve posted on the MBs before asking for second chance or mid season leagues and glad it happened this year. Great hearing some of the industry podcasts talking about these leagues too and hopefully next year they gain even more steam.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN