Frustrating

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:45 am

Well, we have had 10 of the 30 guys we drafted go down and I am starting to think I don't really care for the format of this league. I think that 30 players is way too many to draft in a league like this and 2 catchers seems kind of foolish to me as well. It seems like this league injuries absolutely kill you if one of your first 5 go down...we have had 3 of our top 6 go down....it seems like a higher risk and I feel like I am just waiting all the time for the next player to get hurt...I think I am starting to realize that the best format is that when you lose a guy to injury that you can buy someone else to replace him....its suppose to be a game of skill but the number of players on the roster makes it complete pot luck...I would think about 15 to 18 players would be mroe than enough as opposed to 23....I am just ranting but I thought I liked this game but after a few years I am starting to realize it doesnt show your knowledge as much as it should...just my opinion....and probably frustration...

GoBabyGo

Frustrating

Post by GoBabyGo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:53 am

Dude I understand your pain have,

BARD

BJ RYAN (3rd rd)

Kendrick (6th rd)

all on DL.

Had the same problems with DL last year but sole advice I can give is "KEEP PLUGGING AWAY, DON'T GIVE UP "

Those bench players could surprise you for the better until those big guns come back!
GoBabyGo

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 am

Thanks Go. Appreciate the feedback.

The Mighty Men

Frustrating

Post by The Mighty Men » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:14 am

Injuries are an inevitable part of every fantasy league. If you have good players on the bench, it limits the injury effect a bit. So, draft well, and hope the injury bug stays away.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

sportsbettingman

Frustrating

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:21 am

A smaller bench would help a bit.

The waiver wire is stripped clean in most leagues.

I actually love large bench size to hoard talent...but in 15 team leagues...it may be better served with a 5 man bench.

The injury bug bites us all over the 162 game season, though.

Better luck to you!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 am

yeah 30 rounds is too much...the league would be better served with say 26 or so...maybe start 8 pitchers and say 11 or 12 offensive players...2 catchers is just sort of foolish to me....you cut one pitcher and one catcher and let go of the MI and CI and add a DH or add a first baseman or something...an offensive position...just my opinion here...but the format is not overly desirable in my mind.....I thought I could pick it up but I just dont get it with the format......everyone seems to have one pitcher that is below average so why bother...

Joe Sambito

Frustrating

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:36 am

At the same time, it is not suppose to be an all-star game at West Side Field. Many mlb staffs have below average pitchers. Injuries happen, if nothing else, multiple position guys should be bumped up a bit on next year's list.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Greg Ambrosius

Frustrating

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:40 am

Originally posted by sranaghan:

yeah 30 rounds is too much...the league would be better served with say 26 or so...maybe start 8 pitchers and say 11 or 12 offensive players...2 catchers is just sort of foolish to me....you cut one pitcher and one catcher and let go of the MI and CI and add a DH or add a first baseman or something...an offensive position...just my opinion here...but the format is not overly desirable in my mind.....I thought I could pick it up but I just dont get it with the format......everyone seems to have one pitcher that is below average so why bother... Steve, I hate to chime in on your frustrating day, but the format is designed to assimilate a major league team. I'm sure every MLB team would like to have one good catcher and no below average pitchers, but the key to winning a World Series title is accumulating the best players at each position, starters and bench players. Fantasy baseball isn't any different.

If you have injuries to three of your top six players, I'm not sure you're going to be any more successful in a league that drafts only 15 players or 18 players or 23 players. You're missing your star players and nobody in free agency is going to replace your first round pick. Blaming the NFBC format for those injuries seems almost kind of foolish. But I do feel your pain for the Chris Carpenter injury, the Howie Kendrick injury and potentially the Ryan Howard injury. That sucks.

I'm struggling with injuries in several of my 12-team, 23-man leagues. And trust me, nobody on the waiver wire is going to lead my teams to a title. I need those folks back in my lineups, and soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Dirt Dogs

Frustrating

Post by Dirt Dogs » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:09 am

Sometimes a bench guy fill in nicely! I have Carlos Quentin and due to his injury I had to start Ryan Church! Not a bad replacement huh, 3HR and 300 AVG.

Injuries and depth are what makes this league so competitive. Leagues are won in rounds 20-30. You need to really find those guys that can step in and help out and thats why historic DL guys (Glaus) are not on my radar come draft day.

Good luck and dont give up, at least your 7th round pick isnt pitching in the 8th inning (Myers)!!!!! HELP!
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Dirt Dogs

Frustrating

Post by Dirt Dogs » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:10 am

Sometimes a bench guy fill in nicely! I have Carlos Quentin and due to his injury I had to start Ryan Church! Not a bad replacement huh, 3HR and 300 AVG.

Injuries and depth are what makes this league so competitive. Leagues are won in rounds 20-30. You need to really find those guys that can step in and help out and thats why historic DL guys (Glaus) are not on my radar come draft day.

Good luck and dont give up, at least your 7th round pick isnt pitching in the 8th inning (Myers)!!!!! HELP!
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:16 am

Greg I understand some of your points but I think there is too many players....I guess it may help the people that research stuff to death but even when you research its a crapshoot...I just find that in this format its like roulette where other formats you can control your own destiny a little better and you could show your true knowledge of the game a little better....knowing to pick freddie bynum or felix pie is not my idea of knowledge...I could be wrong but luck seems to play in to this league a ton more than in other formats...I thought the opposite was true but again its probably just frustration...

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:25 am

the fact I can be out of it 2 weeks into the season is not my idea of fun I guess...I have no shot now...the hole will be too big to come back from...

Chest Rockwell

Frustrating

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:32 am

I think you have this dead wrong, and I am not saying that to upset you, but to maybe bring some perspective and get you enjoying this experience again.

10 of 30 is a ton of injuries and even if you drafted the all injury prone team you still have had to have some terrible luck. No format can protect you from those kind of injuries. It just sucks and I would be just as upset if I were you.

I just think you will look back at this in a few weeks and still be upset about the number of injuries, but not upset at all about this format.

As far as the format- the proof that the same people tend to do well, and a lot of the same people tend to do poorly should say for the most part luck has little to do with the nfbc.

In the end the NFBC may not be your cup of tea, although I hope it is. Either way I wish you some much deserved good luck in the next few months.

Just curious is this your first year? If so give it some time, if not did you not like the roster size before your rash of injuries?

Is it just me or are there more key injuries this year than most? If anyone has a team with no one hurt and are not doing well I would be concerned if I were them.

Chest Rockwell

Frustrating

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:36 am

the fact I can be out of it 2 weeks into the season is not my idea of fun I guess...I have no shot now...the hole will be too big to come back from... Again come off the ledge- I saw a team in 15th at the allstar break last year come back and win their entire league in one of the strongest leagues last year.

You paid a lot of money to have fun and compete- it may not be your year but don't throw that money away just yet. They do not decide who wins an election when 7% of the sample size is in and they all come from similar looking districts.

sportsbettingman

Frustrating

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:36 am

"Is it just me or are there more key injuries this year than most? If anyone has a team with no one hurt and are not doing well I would be concerned if I were them."

It sure seems that way.

I can't remember when so many "quality" players had such poor starts.

I'll give it until the end of April to see if some of these .190 batting averages can creep up to the .240 range.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Red Sox Nation

Frustrating

Post by Red Sox Nation » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 am

sranaghan,

Curious. Who are the 10 injured players?
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Chest Rockwell

Frustrating

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 am

This is this guy's team- remind me to never fly on a plane with him. Scary thing is JD Drew and Mags have not gotten hurt yet. I certainly think you could have drafted a healthier team, but you certainly have some bad luck too. BTW IMO if you get Carpenter healthy that team has a shot.

Ryan Howard

Hanley Ramirez

Delmon Young

Howie Kendrick

Magglio Ordonez

Jd Drew

Morgan Ensberg

Carlos Quentin

Aj Piernyzski

Shane Victorino

Brandon Inge

Rod Barajas

Andy Marte

Luis Gonzalez

Sean Casey

Nick Punto

Craig Wilson

Cliff Floyd (yikes)

Yuniesky Betancourt

Carpenter

Wagner

Schilling

Verlander

Randy Johnson

Wang

Rogers

Justin Duscherer

Jaret Wright

Matt Morris

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:48 am

Howard, Hanley (for a period), Carpenter, Wang, Kenny Rogers, Kendrick, Quentin, Punto, Randy Johnson, which we knew about actually and I thought there was one other....thats some serious players to get hurt....

JohnZ

Frustrating

Post by JohnZ » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

A smaller bench would help a bit.

The waiver wire is stripped clean in most leagues.

I actually love large bench size to hoard talent...but in 15 team leagues...it may be better served with a 5 man bench.

The injury bug bites us all over the 162 game season, though.

Better luck to you!

~Lance How is it "stripped" when 10-20 FA's are signed very week in every league?

The bench has room for one ML player and no more.

Fill your bench with players that do not play and you are going to have major problems.

Garza, Milledge, Pedro, Josh Johnson are going to kill you if you have one injury. You drafted or signed all these guys knowing they were not going to play for awhile. You picked up Josh Johnson last week and you could have had Guadin, Lohse or Silva for the same $3. You could have had all of them for $3.

You have Piniero is your lineup and not one SP you can rotate for double starts.

Sorry, but the wire is not stripped at all.

---------------------------------------

And to the guy that started this thread...

Injuries are a huge part of baseball every year.

This game is an uneven playing field when you get too many of them as there are a few scenarios where you just can't compete and/or field a complete lineup.

Seven extra spots is fine until five or more of them are filled with DL players too good to cut.

Greg doesn't want a DL and doesn't think this is a problem. I disagree. We have discussed this and he's decided, so you just have to make the best of it by drafting bench players that play. That's why I signed Grudz for $55 last week after Cantu was sent down and all I have is Polanco at 2B. Spent $131 for Melky for the same reason at OF.

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:06 am

the more I am playing I am seeing things in the format that I would do differently and dont care for is all...and its just my opinion...I am not saying im right...thats what an opinion is...

Red Sox Nation

Frustrating

Post by Red Sox Nation » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:12 am

Howard, Hanley (for a period), Carpenter, Wang, Kenny Rogers, Kendrick, Quentin, Punto, Randy Johnson, which we knew about actually and I thought there was one other....thats some serious players to get hurt.... Hanley - day to day injury missed several games. No big deal.

Howard- sounds like you dodged a bullet here and this is day to day.

Wang and Rogers - You should be able to replace these guys off the waiver wire. You'll actually improve your K's with these injuries. Wang comes back next week. I personally wasn't high on either guy assuming 100% health.

Randy Johnson - no sympathy here. We all knew this.

Quentin - missed 2 1/2 weeks. Good ballplayer but replaceable for that short of a span.

Punto - no big loss

Kendrick - big loss, unlucky

Carpenter - unlucky but thats the risk associated with all pitching

You still have a chance! Keep fighting!

"Don't give up, Don't ever give up!" Jimmy V

sranaghan

Frustrating

Post by sranaghan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:14 am

I said Randy Johnson above we knew this and whether people like Wang or not is not the issue...he got hurt...we were just talking about the injuries.....thanks and good luck to you too...

Red Sox Nation

Frustrating

Post by Red Sox Nation » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:28 am

I wish Zach Duke got hurt before the season started. What a stiff he is

Nutty Scrats

Frustrating

Post by Nutty Scrats » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:43 am

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

I wish Zach Duke got hurt before the season started. What a stiff he is He should be on the most drop list this week.! LOL He really is pitching like a slug! :eek:
Ed

Greg Ambrosius

Frustrating

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:20 am

the fact I can be out of it 2 weeks into the season is not my idea of fun I guess...I have no shot now...the hole will be too big to come back from... Steve, I know you well enough to know that you're a born pessimist. Again, your first round pick was Ryan Howard, who you took fifth overall. Hanley Ramirez, your second round pick, is slowed by a hamstring injury. Carpenter was your third round pick and that's also been a killer. Kendrick was your sixth round pick and now he's hurt. You feel you're out of it because of the league format, but that's not it at all. Your players are off to a slow start or hurt, but we're only in Week 3. Do all you can to weather the storm with your reserves or free agent pickups and keep battling. It's a marathon race and we're all scuffling for stats right now.

But maybe you're right. Maybe a deep, deep league isn't your cup of tea. If that's the case, well, football is right around the corner. We'll gladly get your team set up for the NFFC when you're ready!! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius