Free Agent Rule Change Proposal Feed Back and Input

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:19 pm

NFBC OWNERS

I have several more thoughts on the issue discussed below. I'd appreciate hearing other owners views.

In Tampa 2.

Angel Guzman was not Drafted. He made the 25 Man roster and was sent down to make room for Felix Pie. So you could have had him last week but not now. Shouldn't he remain available for FAAB if he was on a Major League roster at some point?

No. If he was originally drafted in your league, then he would remain in your free agent pool all year long. But if he wasn≠t drafted originally, then once he goes down to the minors, he can≠t be picked up again until he reaches the majors. It just gives everyone a fair shot at the next hottest prospect who comes to the majors.

Okay.

I'd like to see a rule change on this that would allow any player making an active major league roster remain in the Free Agent pool,if sent back to the minors,even if not Drafted.

Everyone still gets the same shot at him. After all he could have been acquired the week before.

I'll bring it up after the season when you call for feedback and suggestions.

Feel free to start the thread anytime. I understand the desire for that. But this way when a guy goes to the minors, nobody can stash him away on their reserve roster for a few weeks. Everyone has the same shot at him when he gets called back up to the majors. Some folks say the free agent wire is too thin already. Allowing teams to stash prospects on their reserve roster would make them even thinner.

Philip Hughes and Homer Bailey are two examples. If they weren‚t drafted in your league, then everyone has a fair shot at them when they get called up. And the last thing I want to keep track of is who was on everyone‚s 25-man roster at the beginning of the year. That would be a nightmare.

And I replied...

My Next quetion is how can Tim Lincecum get picked up?

Tim Lincecum NFBC Las Vegas League 1 Pimpin' Trigger Jr. $33

Tim Lincecum NFBC Las Vegas League 5 High Hard One $153

Tim Lincecum NFBC New York League 2 Red Sox Nation $58

Greg's response...

He was drafted and then cut. Once you are drafted in that league, you remain in that league’s free agent pool all year long. There’s no reason to punish those owners because somebody gambled on him on draft day and then didn’t have the patience to hold onto him.

That's it. FIRE AWAY!! :rolleyes: :confused: :D :rolleyes: :cool:
"All of Life is part of the Divine"---Ancient Hindu saying

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:28 pm

i am with greg

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:33 pm

I like the existing rule on this, no change required IMO.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Kevin, sorry but I am among those who like the rule as it is.

HOWEVER, I was just thinking earlier about how we (Greg/Tom) check all the FA lists from ALL leagues. Or Greg, did STATS run a program that removed (removes) all those players from leagues where they weren't drafted?

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 pm

I also like the rule as its currently constituted.

Lets go Tim Lincecum!!!!
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

SluggoJD

Post by SluggoJD » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:32 pm

One more in favor of keeping the rule as is...of course!

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 am

I ALSO LIKE THIS RULE, I think most of the fantasy players do.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:30 am

It's a good rule as is, no need to change it.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:09 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Kevin, sorry but I am among those who like the rule as it is.

HOWEVER, I was just thinking earlier about how we (Greg/Tom) check all the FA lists from ALL leagues. Or Greg, did STATS run a program that removed (removes) all those players from leagues where they weren't drafted? Of course they did. They did that right before Opening Day.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 am

Kevin, I have no problem with you creating a thread to discuss a rule change, but I guess I better take more time to respond to your e-mails if they are going to be posted everytime on the message boards. What you could have done is start a thread that asked if NFBC owners like the rule that keeps players who were originally on MLB 25-man rosters out of the NFBC free agent lists even if they get sent down to the minors and gotten some feedback. Maybe some others would agree with it.

The current rule is put in place to allow all league owners the same chance at a hot prospect when he gets called up from the minors. But if you had this prospect targeted on Draft Day for a late round pick and someone in your league grabbed him before you and then cut him right away, he should still remain in your free agent pool for anyone who wants him. My feeling is that if he was good enough to be selected on Draft Day in your league, then he's good enough to be picked up during the regular season.

As I said yesterday, I'm walking a thin line between creating enough reserves for everyone's roster and not depleting the free agent pool. By keeping minor-leaguers in the free agent pool until they get called up to the majors, it allows everyone a fairer chance of getting them through FAAB. Otherwise, you have teams stashing prospects before they get called up on their reserve rosters. If they wanted to take that gamble, they should have selected them on Draft Day.

Keep the discussion going and next time let me know when you're going to distribute my e-mails so that I can spend more time on the grammer, punctuation and the swear words! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:43 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Keep the discussion going and next time let me know when you're going to distribute my e-mails so that I can spend more time on the grammer, punctuation and the swear words! :D A little time on the spelling, too! ;)

[ April 20, 2007, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: King of Queens ]

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:24 am

Tough room.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:15 am

One from the minority.

Greg and I have exchanged similar emails, but I don't see the difference in a guy wanting to take a chance on a minor-leaguer two weeks before opening day or two weeks after opening day. Still stashing him away.

And wouldn't this actually work to INCREASE the FA pool?

First of all, you have more bodies to choose from.

Secondly, those "stashing" someone away have one (or more) less slots available to compete in, say, a closer auction, making more avaialbe for the others.

So the possible strategy would then be to use your 29th or 30th pick to grab a minor leaguer. Cut him (understanding that someone may want to take a chance, but probably would have drafted him earlier if so) and then you have him active for bidding 2, 4 or 6 weeks down the line.

Other leagues would not have that availability.

Just seems to me that if one league has access to someone, they all should.

That being said, I can live with it the way it is if that's the majority opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am

:eek: Swear Words? There are swear words in there? I must be out of the Loop. And,I thought I cleaned it up ;) :cool:

As stated I have some futher thoughts but I want to check the latest updates from S.W.E.A.R. (Swear Words of Ecumenical Adjudication & Repudiation). They have an office at the Vatican and I left a message. Their HQ is in Salt Lake City where they are in Limbo with the Morman Tabernacle Choir. I'll send this treatise to the Grammaratarian while I wiat for S.W.E.A.R.'s response.

It's a well thought out Trifuricated (You Know, 3 Pronged) manifesto entilted "Drafting,FAAB,the Waiver Wire, and Reality in the National Fantasy Baseball Championship."

Watch for it in this Cyber Space!!! :rolleyes: :D

Sorry about the typos----Hey Ed!! Did I spell Ecumenical right/!!

LOL!!!

Kevin ;)

[ April 20, 2007, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Kevin D ]
"All of Life is part of the Divine"---Ancient Hindu saying

LONG GONE

Post by LONG GONE » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:43 am

Let the best team manager win. Make everyone available at all times. This appears to be in the minority.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:11 am

Originally posted by BudFox:

Let the best team manager win. Make everyone available at all times. This appears to be in the minority. I don't agree with this. It would take away the value of the FAAB dollers.

I'd like to see the players who put up major league stats stay in the pool at all times. If they never made the field, then I agree you have to wait for them to get called back up.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:53 pm

I'd like to see the players who put up major league stats stay in the pool at all times. If they never made the field, then I agree you have to wait for them to get called back up. [/QB][/quote]

But make it consistent in each league. Some leagues have access to some players who "never made the field" and some don't.

Why? Simply because someone made what could be considered a misjudgement (since they would have cut them).

What might be more consistent is that if a player who is in the minors is cut by the drafting team, then he remains unavailable to everyone until he is activated by his ML team.

I still can't figure out why the fact that someone took a chance-- and changed their mind --should make him okay in one league but not another.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Originally posted by Atlas:

I'd like to see the players who put up major league stats stay in the pool at all times. If they never made the field, then I agree you have to wait for them to get called back up. But make it consistent in each league. Some leagues have access to some players who "never made the field" and some don't.

Why? Simply because someone made what could be considered a misjudgement (since they would have cut them).

What might be more consistent is that if a player who is in the minors is cut by the drafting team, then he remains unavailable to everyone until he is activated by his ML team.

I still can't figure out why the fact that someone took a chance-- and changed their mind --should make him okay in one league but not another. [/QB][/quote]

I like the minor players drafted staying in the pool. It might be a good plan to draft a couple of minor leaguers and cut then them. You then could follow how they are doing and try to be the first to grab them back.