Next Year is Coming Fast

DOUGHBOYS

Next Year is Coming Fast

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 am

Some of us were talking about top draft picks for next year.
A decision on Ohtani could effect his position in drafts by as many as two-three rounds.
There are also other minor leaguers attempting to be two-way players.
With drafts starting earlier and earlier (the PreMature League starting as this season concludes) and the draft room being available sooner, a decision on two-way players, sooner than later would benefit all.

I know it isn't easy. IT most likely will be involved, no matter the decision.
Have their been talks? Any leanings one way or the other?

(Edit- Just my opinion here, but if doing both in real baseball, it would be cool if doing both in our playground as well)
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Next Year is Coming Fast

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:34 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 am
Some of us were talking about top draft picks for next year.
A decision on Ohtani could effect his position in drafts by as many as two-three rounds.
There are also other minor leaguers attempting to be two-way players.
With drafts starting earlier and earlier (the PreMature League starting as this season concludes) and the draft room being available sooner, a decision on two-way players, sooner than later would benefit all.

I know it isn't easy. IT most likely will be involved, no matter the decision.
Have their been talks? Any leanings one way or the other?

(Edit- Just my opinion here, but if doing both in real baseball, it would be cool if doing both in our playground as well)
We stated earlier this year that the goal was to have this capability by next year. I will bring it up at today's meeting and provide some feedback.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks Dan for bringing this up well in advance. I’m sure many of us have wondered the same.

Even if the IT solution is found, my question is whether (as per current rules) we will have to wait for Ohtani to gain pitcher eligibility as he won’t likely appear on the mound at all in 2019.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:29 pm

The subject of Ohtani hasn't been brought up since September of 2018, when it was clear he needed Tommy John.
I like discussion about topics like this.....

I believe this is the NFBC stance on Ohtani and two-way players (from a post last year)
Greg Ambrosius- " Ideally we'd program him as one player with dual eligibility and each week you'd decide whether to start him as a pitcher or as a hitter. No two different players for one guy in the NFBC (one hitting, one pitching). At least that's my opinion."

We endure one-game playoffs as part of our stats because it is what MLB is doing and included in MLB stats.
In that same framework, wouldn't we want to include both sides of numbers from a two-way players statistics?

Does the inclusion of both sides of a player make a two-way player like Ohtani, TOO valuable for fantasy baseball?

Unthinkable for a fantasy roster to have the same player hitting and pitching?

Would he be the consensus number one pick if being allowed two-way capabilities?

Ohtani is the first player to Win two games and hit 20 homers in a year since Babe Ruth in both 1919 and 1921.
We love our statistics, but we may have to stifle Ohtani because of maybe TOO MANY statistics?
It's an interesting conundrum and a compelling topic.....

Edit- Another suggestion is to split Ohtani into two players.
A drafter could select Ohtani the hitter. Another (or the same drafter) could select Ohtani the pitcher.

Pretty cool suggestion.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:35 pm

If we can program this he would be one player in the system and you'd decide whether to start him as a Hitter for that week or as a Pitcher. If you gave him both statistics you'd have to do that for every pitcher and no fantasy site does that.

Pitchers do not need 10 games played to be eligible. We'd use common sense and realize that he was a pitcher before Tommy John surgery. He's worthy to qualify at UT and Pitcher, as far as I'm concerned. But again we still have to program it to make it happen and we are discussing all of that now.

Thanks for bringing it up early and we'll update our progress.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

We don't have the tech know-how to separate and distinguish Ohtani or other future two-way players from other pitchers?
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm

My passion is probably making me come off as a burr in a saddle. So be it. :)

We love statistics. I love 'em all.
We haven't had a player like Ohtani come into baseball for over 100 years.
A player who can dominate with both his bat and arm.
This should be fantasy gold!
In football, if a running back throws a 60 yard pass for a touchdown, it counts!
He's not a quarterback, but he did it. We saw it. It counts!

A player who can hit for the cycle (done) and throw 7 inning, 1 hit, 12 K gem (again done) should not be stifled by our community.
He should be embraced.
By only using half of his production, we are doing a disservice to what our game is all about.
STATISTICS!
We should be embracing such a player.
Instead, we penalize him?
We count every statistic in baseball, but we don't count half of what Ohtani does?
In some way, all of his statistics should count.

I am not a huge 'fan' as such of Ohtani the player.
But I AM a fan of fantasy baseball.
To relegate one's talents to be cut in half because he is different from other players is not the way to address a player like Ohtani.
His attribute's on the baseball field are and will be be all counted by Major League Baseball.
Yet in our game, a game of statistics, we will be taking half of a players statistics away because he does something no other player does at this level?
This is something that has never been done in fantasy baseball.
Does that make sense?
In the future, we will have a good laugh at ourselves if not using his statistics as both a pitcher and hitter.
Making a drafter choose half of his stats? Choose? They all happen. They should all count.
In one way or another, they should all count.
Sorry in advance. I let my passion get in the way sometimes.
Carry on.
On my tombstone-

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 am

I would think it's purely a technical issue as opposed to Ohtani being too valuable. The only example of a player being so dominant be broke his fantasy format was Wayne Gretzky in his prime. The solution for many leagues was splitting him into two players and you could draft Gretzky (goals) or Gretzky (assists). This echoed real hockey which had to change power play rules during his peak.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

I've asked a few NFBC friends that if Ohtani were available as both a pitcher and hitter, would you take him with the first pick?
So far, not a soul.
I am guessing that if a drafter rostered Ohtani, that, in effect, he would have to be two players from a technical point of view..
He would be Ohtani, the hitter and Ohtani, the pitcher.
Technically, I am guessing the best option would be to split Ohtani into Ohtani the hitter and Ohtani the pitcher as draft choices.
In this way, we realize ALL of his statistics.
There is also the coolness factor that if the number one or 15 drafter was of mind, they could draft both Ohtani the pitcher and Ohtani the hitter on a turn.
It probably is not the best way to fully recognize Ohtani's skills, but at least ALL of his statistics would count for his drafters.
Having a drafter choose whether to hit or pitch Ohtani and have half of his statistics go to waste is just not what our game is about.
We're minimizing a player who has skills other players do not have. We should be respecting that, not diminishing a skill set not shared by other players.
Most of us have to endure a one game playoff at the end of the year because those stats count towards the regular season.
Throwing away half of a players stats goes against that train of thought.
On my tombstone-

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm with you as far as recognizing Ohtani for the fantastic and unique talent that he brings to our game. I also agree that any player's value will be baked into his draft price. I only mentioned Gretzky because he was the only guy who was ever capable of tilting the playing field, or ice if you will, all by himself. He retired 20 years ago and he's still over 900 points ahead of Jaromir Jagr on the all time list. Incredibly, he still has more career assists than Jagr has points, which is just plain Ruthian.

I'm really just looking at what Greg said about having to count every pitcher's stats if we do it for Ohtani. I would hope there could be some kind of workaround that enables whoever drafts him to realize his full value as a two-way player. As you said, he's not going to be the last double threat we'll see who's rosterable in fantasy leagues.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leader ... areer.html

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:39 am

Options:
1. Split Ohtani into 2 players: Sure all his stats would count but would Ohtani the hitter really have any value? He most likely won't hit the day before or after he pitches like they did last year so he'll be a 300-350 PA hitter. He'd be a late pick that would be on your bench half the time.

2. Count Ohtani's hitting stats even in a pitching slot: This is similar to goalie assists counting in hockey in some leagues but the problem is you have to do this for every pitcher if we do it for Ohtani. I don't think any of us want our pitcher's hitting stats counting.

3. Give the Ohtani owner the option to start him as a hitter or pitcher: I think this is the option that logically makes the most sense and also recognizes Ohtani's skills the most. Sure not all of his stats will count but it's the one option that increases his draft value. Ohtani the hitter will waste a bench spot half the time and Ohtani the pitcher is coming off TJ. Ohtani the hitter/pitcher can be started as a hitter when Ohtani the pitcher has a tough matchup as a pitcher and also offers insurance if Ohtani the pitcher gets injured.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:39 am
Options:

2. Count Ohtani's hitting stats even in a pitching slot: This is similar to goalie assists counting in hockey in some leagues but the problem is you have to do this for every pitcher if we do it for Ohtani. I don't think any of us want our pitcher's hitting stats counting.
With today's technology, I find it hard to believe that we cannot distinguish Ohtani from other pitchers.
His talents should be a prime example for fantasy baseball, not grouped with every other pitcher who can't hit.
A shame.

It is amusing that folks have to use hockey analogies to describe Ohtani's talents. It further exemplifies that as of now in baseball, there is no player like him.
Dividing his statistics will be laughed at in the future.
We take all the statistics in baseball and use them, but when a player has TOO many statistics, we force an owner to choose?
We are giving the drafter a complete player and forcing him to choose incomplete stats.
If hitters play 10 games at two positions, they get all their statistics, because Ohtani pitches with his multi-position, he is penalized.
Again, a shame.

I guess it all really doesn't matter.
The powers that be are going to do the thing that is easiest or technology friendly and minimize Ohtani.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Options:

With today's technology, I find it hard to believe that we cannot distinguish Ohtani from other pitchers.
His talents should be a prime example for fantasy baseball, not grouped with every other pitcher who can't hit.
A shame.
I'm sure we could but who decides if a pitcher's stats count as a hitter? Zack Greinke is having a great season as a hitter batting .303 with 2 HR's, would his stats count next year? What if a guy like Brandan McKay gets traded to a team in the NL. He's a two way player who probably wouldn't play in the field but he'd be a pretty good hitter when he pitches and might pinch hit as well. Would his stats count as well?

It's not about the technology, it just doesn't make sense that he'd earn hitting stats in a pitcher's lineup spot.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Options:

A shame.
I'm sure we could but who decides if a pitcher's stats count as a hitter? Zack Greinke is having a great season as a hitter batting .303 with 2 HR's, would his stats count next year? What if a guy like Brandan McKay gets traded to a team in the NL. He's a two way player who probably wouldn't play in the field but he'd be a pretty good hitter when he pitches and might pinch hit as well. Would his stats count as well?

It's not about the technology, it just doesn't make sense that he'd earn hitting stats in a pitcher's lineup spot.
Seriously.
You're comparing an NL pitcher to a player who plays almost every day.

Wow
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 am

I know that in the future, we will have approached Ohtani in the wrong way.
Zack Greinke would never, ever be started as a hitter in NFBC leagues. Ohtani is and will again next year.
My argument is clearly falling on deaf ears.
Thanks for the listen.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 am
Zack Greinke would never, ever be started as a hitter in NFBC leagues. Ohtani is and will again next year.
Thanks for the listen.
I'm not comparing the two but I'm saying there's other pitchers who's hitting stats could have some value to a team so why would Ohtani be the only one? Yes he's the best and yes his skills are amazing but the rules have always been that a player in a hitting spot earns hitting stats and a player in a pitching spot earns pitching stats.

Having Ohtani's hitting stats count when he's in a pitching spot would be allowing that team to have 14.5 hitting spots. That doesn't make sense. Having the option to start him as a hitter or a pitcher every week makes the most sense, just like we have the option to start Marwin Gonzalez at any position we want any week.

I understand your argument that Ohtani is amazing and it sucks to have some of his stats wasted away but giving that team an extra 0.5 hitting spot (because I'm guessing he'll hit in about half the games) just doesn't make sense either.

The only other option I see would be that if you draft Ohtani, you don't get his hitting stats for free but you get the option to start Ohtani as a pitcher for the full week and then use a hitting spot for Ohtani the hitter for the Friday-Sunday series. I'm not sure how this could be programmed though to have the same player in 2 lineup spots at the same time but it would definitely make more sense than having free hitting stats from a pitcher.

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:34 am

[/quote]
I guess it all really doesn't matter.
The powers that be are going to do the thing that is easiest or technology friendly and minimize Ohtani.
[/quote]

No, we are not. We're going to do what we feel is the correct for our game, Dan. We've noted you opinion (and all others). Nothing is falling on deaf ears either. It's June 20th, 2019.

Ohtani is unique, we agree. There are very valid arguments for each option presented above. No matter what method we end up going with, his "uniqueness" will be built in...it just might not match your opinion.

However, the decision will have nothing to do with the easiness of technology.

Thanks.

D

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 am
Thanks for the listen.
I'm not comparing the two but I'm saying there's other pitchers who's hitting stats could have some value to a team so why would Ohtani be the only one? Yes he's the best and yes his skills are amazing but the rules have always been that a player in a hitting spot earns hitting stats and a player in a pitching spot earns pitching stats.

Having Ohtani's hitting stats count when he's in a pitching spot would be allowing that team to have 14.5 hitting spots. That doesn't make sense. Having the option to start him as a hitter or a pitcher every week makes the most sense, just like we have the option to start Marwin Gonzalez at any position we want any week.

I understand your argument that Ohtani is amazing and it sucks to have some of his stats wasted away but giving that team an extra 0.5 hitting spot (because I'm guessing he'll hit in about half the games) just doesn't make sense either.

The only other option I see would be that if you draft Ohtani, you don't get his hitting stats for free but you get the option to start Ohtani as a pitcher for the full week and then use a hitting spot for Ohtani the hitter for the Friday-Sunday series. I'm not sure how this could be programmed though to have the same player in 2 lineup spots at the same time but it would definitely make more sense than having free hitting stats from a pitcher.
'FREE' hitting statistics?
He would be used as one of 14 hitters in your lineup, taking the spot of another hitter.
How is that free?
No NL pitcher takes a hitter's spot. Therefore, their hitting stats are never used.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 am

We don't live in a perfect world, so I don't expect that we will treat Ohtani fairly. I get that.

If we did live in a perfect world, here is what would happen with Ohtani....

His drafter would select him in a draft. Initially on his roster, it would say S OHTANI, U, P

As of now, our rosters do not support a 'U, P'
But in a perfect world, it would.
When the season begins, the drafter could use Ohtani as either a P or U
If his drafter chooses to use Ohtani as BOTH a P and U during a week, that would let the system know that he now has to drop a player from his roster, since in effect, using Ohtani as a two-way gives him another player on his roster.
After dropping the player, the drafter is free to use Ohtani as both a Pitcher and hitter.
If Ohtani is hurt as a Pitcher, the drafter must use both roster spots if wanting to retain his hitting statistics.
If totally dropping Ohtani after a devastating injury or something along those lines, the drafter would have two roster spots open for FAAB bidding.

I know that that is probably too difficult for our IT.
And we don't live in a perfect world.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 am

Initially, I just wanted to give the NFBC a heads up on Ohtani.
I didn't even know myself, that I would get so passionate about Ohtani and his usage.
As said, what will be will be.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:46 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 am
We don't live in a perfect world, so I don't expect that we will treat Ohtani fairly. I get that.

His drafter would select him in a draft. Initially on his roster, it would say S OHTANI, U, P

If his drafter chooses to use Ohtani as BOTH a P and U during a week, that would let the system know that he now has to drop a player from his roster, since in effect, using Ohtani as a two-way gives him another player on his roster.
After dropping the player, the drafter is free to use Ohtani as both a Pitcher and hitter.
If Ohtani is hurt as a Pitcher, the drafter must use both roster spots if wanting to retain his hitting statistics.
If totally dropping Ohtani after a devastating injury or something along those lines, the drafter would have two roster spots open for FAAB bidding.

I initially thought that you meant he would get hitting stats in a pitcher spot, that's what I meant by free hitting spot.

If we do it the way you suggested I think it complicates things way too much personally. If we want to give a team the option to start him at both UT and P in the same week then that team shouldn't have to use an extra roster spot just like the Angels don't have to use an extra spot.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:46 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

I initially thought that you meant he would get hitting stats in a pitcher spot, that's what I meant by free hitting spot.

If we do it the way you suggested I think it complicates things way too much personally. If we want to give a team the option to start him at both UT and P in the same week then that team shouldn't have to use an extra roster spot just like the Angels don't have to use an extra spot.
I knew that I would get that argument.
We can't follow MLB exactly.
Just like the Angels can use him to full advantage while fantasy drafters of Ohtani cannot.
It would not be fair in a fantasy league to have a drafter use an extra player or have an extra roster spot.
If IT could find a way where his drafter could use him as both, wonderful.
No worries.
It won't happen.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am
Philippe27 wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

It would not be fair in a fantasy league to have a drafter use an extra player or have an extra roster spot.
No worries.
It won't happen.
In that case I really don't get your passion about this because Ohtani as a hitter wouldn't be worth a roster spot in most leagues. Last year he had 129 PA until June 6th when he got hurt so on pace for 324 PA. Even if they use him a little more as a hitter, he won't get more than 350-375 PA and last year he didn't steal any bases until he stopped pitching.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am
Philippe27 wrote:

No worries.
It won't happen.
In that case I really don't get your passion about this because Ohtani as a hitter wouldn't be worth a roster spot in most leagues. Last year he had 129 PA until June 6th when he got hurt so on pace for 324 PA. Even if they use him a little more as a hitter, he won't get more than 350-375 PA and last year he didn't steal any bases until he stopped pitching.
Omigosh.
So you would not start him among your 14 hitters?
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:34 am

You've used 'free stats', 'compicated', 'options', and even Ohtani's own stats against him.
It all doesn't matter, Philippe.
I am contending that his drafter have the choice of using him as both a pitcher and hitter..
It is the right thing to do.
If IT cannot figure it out, que sera, sera.
On my tombstone-