FAAB - Move to Monday?

VegasVandals

FAAB - Move to Monday?

Post by VegasVandals » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pm

All,

I know NFBC has a long history, and something as big as FAAB timing isn't something usually up for change. However, I've been talking to several owners lately who have been struggling more and more (just like myself and co-owner) to balance family life with FAAB on Sunday evenings. We've been playing in the NFBC for 10+ years and have built FAAB into our weekly Sunday routines (as has everyone else). Obviously everyone is in the same boat, and this is in no way a complaint, this is merely a thought to potentially spur discussion.

What about moving FAAB to Monday and lineup lock to Tuesday?

On the surface, there could be several benefits (at least in the discussions I've had). First and foremost is obviously freeing up Sunday to focus on whatever weekend activities everyone has. For me, it's family time, swimming and bbq's with friends, and weekend trips to the beach. Nothing is worse than telling a group of friends I have to step away for 30-60 minutes to dial in my FAAB bids! Moving FAAB to Monday would allow everyone to enjoy the weekend, get back to the grind on Monday and get bids dialed in. For us, FAAB is our biggest time suck, and freeing up the weekend would open up the possibility of entering more leagues. Secondly, for lineup setting, weekend injury updates from team doctors tend to come out on Mondays which often leaves owners in a bind for setting lineups. I believe moving lineup lock to Tuesday would give owners more information to work with. Also, it seems there are very few morning games on Tuesdays, so we could also eliminate having to get lineups in early Monday morning for those morning start times.

I don't know if this has been talked about before, and I know there are reasons on the other side for why Sunday works, but I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts as everyone starts looking towards 2020.

Outlaw

Re: FAAB - Move to Monday?

Post by Outlaw » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Approved!!!

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:48 am

I guess it all depends on everyone's schedules but for me Sunday is much easier. I find an hour or two of free time on Saturday or Sunday and then do a final checkup on Sunday evening.

For me Monday is my busiest day of the week workwise. i guess I could still do the bulk of the work Sunday night and do a final checkup on Monday evening but i feel like more things change between Sunday and Monday that it would force you to do it on Monday.

The other thing I like about Sunday night is there's only one game in the evening so even if you're done FAAB at 7, it's usually fine. On Monday with a bunch of night games, it would make it much harder to do that.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am

It comes down to time and who we can cheat with that time.
By now, my wife and family knows that Sunday is my 'fantasy day '.
They realize that it is a passion for me and understand that I will be 'gone' for a period of time on Sunday.

Monday would involve the job more than the family.
Some would be able to still do their FAAB while at work depending on their jobs.
Some would not.
It would be especially tough for some left coasters who are in transit going home near the FAAB deadline.
Getting last minute updates, very difficult.
One thing is clear, our boss will not understand our passion as our families might. :D

Personally, I like lineups as they are now.
The symmetry of most new series starting on Monday and lasting till Thursday appeals to me more than Monday being the last day of a period.
There are fewer Monday games, which many times, still leaves Tuesday as an option to change lineups for some players.
Sometimes that is very helpful.
On Tuesday, every team plays, taking away any chance at a later option.

FAAB is a tough nut to crack. A necessary evil.
The time has to be put in.
For the most part, a move in days is robbing Peter to pay Paul.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 am

Yes agreed as a left coaster it would be extremely difficult while Sunday’s are generally a day off for the majority.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm

I've been saying this for years. Give Fantasy owners their Sunday back in the summer.

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm

CC's Desperados wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm
I've been saying this for years. Give Fantasy owners their Sunday back in the summer.
You mean give a handful of fantasy owners their Sunday back and lose all your other customers who work on Monday?

Sunday's not perfect but it's what makes most sense for most people.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Monday's no good unless its a holiday.

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:11 pm

I would like to see the deadline pushed back an hour at least, (and 2 hours once Football starts). This would at least give people more time at night to work on FAAB. The idea that people need to set their line-ups Sunday night after FAAB is antiquated & outdated with the proliferation of mobile devices. I doubt anyone is not setting their line-ups on Monday evenings or at least double checking them before game-time Monday.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm
Sometimes it's not about you KJ! It's for the greater good of the game.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm
CC's Desperados wrote:
You mean give a handful of fantasy owners their Sunday back and lose all your other customers who work on Monday?

Most people work during the day on Monday. So what's your work schedule on Monday?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
For the record, you're on the computer all day long and the market closes at 1 PM PST. Liz told me you only walk the dog on Monday afternoon.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:12 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Why not a couple of Holidays from FAAB?

The first weekend in June and August, or some other fixed days, we skip FAAB as a whole.
It would be a little something for our families and maybe schedule a vacation without the thought of FAAB.
Call it a FAAB ( Forget Agonizing About Baseball) Holiday for us and our families...Just a thought.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am

CC's Desperados wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 pm
Philippe27 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm
CC's Desperados wrote:

Most people work during the day on Monday. So what's your work schedule on Monday?
I work from home until 4 PM ET, pick up the kids from daycare, dinner, bath, story time until about 7 PM ET. Back to working until 8-9 PM ET. FAAB takes me 2-3 hours for 5 teams.

On a Sunday however, the way I do it is I find an hour or two during the day to start the work and then at night only need about 30 minutes to check the latest news and adjust bids if needed. I'm sure a lot of people do it that way, it allows for a lot more flexibility. If FAAB deadline was on a Monday, anyone who works during the day would HAVE to be free at night.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:50 am

CC's Desperados wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 pm
KJ Duke wrote:
For the record, you're on the computer all day long and the market closes at 1 PM PST. Liz told me you only walk the dog on Monday afternoon.
She lied.

Market closes at 1pm but job is 24/7 when overnight Fed repo rates are randomly spiking from 2% to 10%, Iran is sending drones into SA to squash oil processing facilities and the market/economy is in a highly-levered, fragile state of monetary gamesmanship. And Trump is tweeting. And Xi is plotting.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:12 am
KJ Duke wrote:

The first weekend in June and August, or some other fixed days, we skip FAAB as a whole.
It would be a little something for our families and maybe schedule a vacation without the thought of FAAB.
Call it a FAAB ( Forget Agonizing About Baseball) Holiday for us and our families...Just a thought.
Interesting idea. Might need a bigger bench?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:

Possibly.
Although, with the proliferation of multi-position hitters and now dual Pitcher/Hitters, maybe not.
If a larger bench makes everybody more comfortable in having 'FAAB Holiday's', ok.
It'd be cool to have a few Sunday's 'off'.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:03 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am
KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

Possibly.
Although, with the proliferation of multi-position hitters and now dual Pitcher/Hitters, maybe not.
If a larger bench makes everybody more comfortable in having 'FAAB Holiday's', ok.
It'd be cool to have a few Sunday's 'off'.
I'd keep benches as is but I think the only FAAB Holiday that would make sense without messing with the game too much is the Sunday right before the All-Star Game.

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Moving transactions to Monday is a non-starter for me, but I would be completely happy with FAAB every other week. Would increase the size of the bench by one so that people can weather injuries better.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Talked this over with an NFBC friend. He has a wife and three kids and is excited about going FAABless a few times.
His thought being that if going FAABless the first Sunday of each month starting in May, ending in August that we wouldn't need an expansion of rosters.
I don't know. We've never tried it.
I do know It would bring a bit of excitement for the following FAABing periods, for sure. :D
On my tombstone-