Twice-a-week moves?

Gordon Gekko

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:04 am

Currently there is an NFBC DL-rule that enables owners to take a player officially placed on the MLB DL out of their line-up for Friday-Sunday of any given week. I like that rule as it helps to minimize the damage done by having a hurt player in your active line-up collecting zeros.

But, we all know that “hurt” players may not officially go on the DL by Thursday at midnight. Some players are placed on the DL AFTER the Thursday (midnight) deadline. Other players may take 4-5 days off to see if they feel better…all the while accumulating zeros because you can’t get them out of your line-up. This has already happened many times this year. Soriano, Swisher, and Thome are a few players that come to mind.

Makes me think twice-a-week moves should be a possibility for next year? Some have already voiced their displeasure with the possibility of streaming pitchers, and I understand that concern. With that said, what about allowing owners to make any Friday switches they want to their hitters and allowing owners to make any Friday switches of DL pitchers? Sure there may be a slight change in the strategy of what players you carry on your bench, but that seems to be a strategy/skill related question, rather than the 100% pure luck of dealing with the frustration of taking zeros because you have a player in your active line-up who is hurt and didn’t go on the DL.

Imagine if the football crowd, NFFC’ers, had to set their line-ups on Monday of each week and had to roll with their active players for the whole week. NFFC’ers wouldn’t be happy. What about having NFFC’ers set their line-ups on Thursday and having to roll with that for the remainder of the week? Again, you would seriously diminish the fun and skill of the competition.

Any thoughts?

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:14 am

How about making any Friday moves to anyone you like regardless of their status?

I'm totally against daily moves but in my opinion twice a week could work. That would solves teams problems if players are questionable or sitting for a few days.

Take the DL totally out of play and just give the owners the option of doing what they like.

[ April 27, 2007, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Nutty Scrat ]
Ed

Chest Rockwell

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:14 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

Currently there is an NFBC DL-rule that enables owners to take a player officially placed on the MLB DL out of their line-up for Friday-Sunday of any given week. I like that rule as it helps to minimize the damage done by having a hurt player in your active line-up collecting zeros.

But, we all know that “hurt” players may not officially go on the DL by Thursday at midnight. Some players are placed on the DL AFTER the Thursday (midnight) deadline. Other players may take 4-5 days off to see if they feel better…all the while accumulating zeros because you can’t get them out of your line-up. This has already happened many times this year. Soriano, Swisher, and Thome are a few players that come to mind.

Makes me think twice-a-week moves should be a possibility for next year? Some have already voiced their displeasure with the possibility of streaming pitchers, and I understand that concern. With that said, what about allowing owners to make any Friday switches they want to their hitters and allowing owners to make any Friday switches of DL pitchers? Sure there may be a slight change in the strategy of what players you carry on your bench, but that seems to be a strategy/skill related question, rather than the 100% pure luck of dealing with the frustration of taking zeros because you have a player in your active line-up who is hurt and didn’t go on the DL.

Imagine if the football crowd, NFFC’ers, had to set their line-ups on Monday of each week and had to roll with their active players for the whole week. NFFC’ers wouldn’t be happy. What about having NFFC’ers set their line-ups on Thursday and having to roll with that for the remainder of the week? Again, you would seriously diminish the fun and skill of the competition.

Any thoughts? My thought is I like your idea, congrats on a good start this season.

Nutty Scrat as he stated your idea allows streaming of pitchers an idea I am completely against.

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:30 am

Probably because I don't understand the concept of streaming of pitchers. But wouldn't everyone be on pretty much the same level because they would have the same option of changing their pitching staff and why is that necessarily a bad thing? If someone could fill me in so I can have some understanding this would be great. Thanks in advance.
Ed

DOUGHBOYS

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:52 am

I am 100% for this idea. In fact I proposed this change last week on the 'I like the Friday DL rule' thread, but didn't get much of a response except from KOQ, who thought it would be too much extra work.

Its a change that is needed with the coddling of players by Managers. Swisher, Thome, Hunter, and Nady come to mind as players who may not get much time this weekend and could have been switched out with this change.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

sportsbettingman

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:56 am

Ha!

I was just looking that thread up to give you credit, Dan! I recall it being the same idea here, and I think it would work.

Free-for-all re: hitters.

DL'd pitchers only allowed to be changed.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Gordon Gekko

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:02 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

I am 100% for this idea. In fact I proposed this change last week on the 'I like the Friday DL rule' thread, but didn't get much of a response except from KOQ, who thought it would be too much extra work.

Its a change that is needed with the coddling of players by Managers. Swisher, Thome, Hunter, and Nady come to mind as players who may not get much time this weekend and could have been switched out with this change. didn't mean to steal your thunder, dan. i took a break from the baord for a while, so now i'll help push this idea.

btw, crisp looks to be out this weekend as well. add conor jackson to the list too.

Gordon Gekko

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:12 am

Thanks chest. Good start from you as well. Halladay is bringing it!!! Give me some pointers on who I should pickup via FAAB this week in a PM

Mr Dalrae

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Mr Dalrae » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:18 am

GG,Chest,Dough and SBMan,You can add my vote to yours for this change.
DAVID GEISINGER

Sack

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Sack » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:14 am

I agree with GG and strongly like the idea of allowing us to have flexibility on Friday's.

Once again it is Friday and I'm staring at another example of a wasted weekend. Baldelli unlikely to play because of an injury and I have THREE replacements on the bench. Why should I be penalized JUST because Tampa hasn't placed him on the D/L? I'm not advocating using ANYTHING other than what is on your roster.

If most are against TWICE a week moves because of the pitchers becoming a factor with moves in and out of the lineup, restrict that to D/L players as a pitcher does not play everyday. Position players and our decisions to move them in or out should be in our hands with the roster we have constructed.

For those that speak out against the 2x a week moves my money says that they would find a way to the computer for an injured player should they have one and the 2 m inutes they spent will be well worth the time.

Another week - another example of injured players "out for the weekend" stuck on a roster. We(NFBC) should be better than this.

Edwards Kings

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:22 am

I respectfully disagree, though I really have nothing against the 2x idea. I do not think it will make the NFBC better (for me anyway), only provide an additional safty net for the unforseen. I guess I would describe the proposed change as a rule change making the contest different (introducing certain aspects of strategies inherent in twice-weekly roster moves by replacing strategies currently used for the once weekly roster moves), not necessarily "better".
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Quahogs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:41 am

Originally posted by Nutty Scrat:

Probably because I don't understand the concept of streaming of pitchers. But wouldn't everyone be on pretty much the same level because they would have the same option of changing their pitching staff and why is that necessarily a bad thing? If someone could fill me in so I can have some understanding this would be great. Thanks in advance. It would seem that since we're all playing by the same rules we'd all have the same opps to stream pitcher in and out. No one should gain any edge if 2 week moves involving pitchers were implemented. True. The issue here Nutty is that it would change the whole complexity of the contest. Currently there is minimal weekday involvement and good FA balance. Allow friday moves involving pitchers regardless of DL and most teams would convert their reserves into 7 pitchers. Maximizing your starts and pitchers availibility from mon-thus and fri-sun would become very time consuming and tilt the contest strategy from hitting/pitching balance to an almost all pitching type strategy. There becomes a discernable edge in having as many pitchers as possible and everyone will game it the same way. Where's the fun in that ?

Q

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:39 am

Thanks Q. I get the drift. I guess the next question for me would be couldn't the same thing happen if we go to 2 times a week move without the DL for hitters only? More hitters would probably be benched on teams and the free agent pool could be depleted even more than it is all ready.

In regards to pitchers, with the 15 team leagues, the player pools are pretty weak now would the streaming of pitchers make that much of an actual difference since most likely a teams WHIP and ERA could really take a hit?

Just question running through my mind as I type. LOL

Personnally for me the less transaction for me the probably better as to keep me from destroying my team swapping players in and out! :eek:
Ed

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by 751542 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:05 am

a thought, how about 1 roster move other than dl moves per week. that would seem to alleviate 2 start pitcher stacking. i would like to be able to shift a p or hitter from t-sun or f-sun. RT
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

eddiejag

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by eddiejag » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:12 am

I LIKE the rule for hitters, why should someone who has a Badelli get zero's this weekend when they can replace him. To many players hurt , who dont go on the DL , but you know there not playing.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Quahogs

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Quahogs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 am

Thanks Q. I get the drift. I guess the next question for me would be couldn't the same thing happen if we go to 2 times a week move without the DL for hitters only? More hitters would probably be benched on teams and the free agent pool could be depleted even more than it is all ready.

the reason the pitchers get swapped out is that they already started and will contribute 0 to the fri-sun stats. Unless a hitter is hurt he'll most likely play in those games and contribute something. The extreme would be having a platooning LH hitter against 3 LH starters. Other than that the hitters you have will generally play and are probably better than the guys on reserve.

Q

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:40 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by Nutty Scrat:

the reason the pitchers get swapped out is that they already started and will contribute 0 to the fri-sun stats. Unless a hitter is hurt he'll most likely play in those games and contribute something. The extreme would be having a platooning LH hitter against 3 LH starters. Other than that the hitters you have will generally play and are probably better than the guys on reserve.

Q
[/QUOTE]I actually get the part (hard to believe I know LOL) about the pitcher who may have pitched in a week and won't start again in that particular week being replaced by a pitcher who will pitch over the weekend to get his stats. I guess I'm not totally convinced that being able to put another pitcher in will work to get you better 5 X 5 stats overall. I know strikeouts and wins will increase but the whip and era could take a significant hit.

My whole pitching thought would only be if we were able to make the same move with the hitters as in replacing any hitter on Friday's regardless if there hurt or not.

The problem with being able to make any changes with hitters without being on the DL is say a player is not hurt and you pull him because you see it's going to snow or rain all weekend in Cleveland (I know extreme case but it happend this year) Then in turn I just increase my advantage because I was able to put someone else in to get that players stats.

I'm beginning to think the current was we play the game is good enough and let luck fall where it may.

I actually had players who are or were sitting due to nagging injuries and not placed on the DL who I probably would love to be able to replace.

Great discussion. Thanks for the replies!
Ed

Quahogs

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Quahogs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:51 am

quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by Nutty Scrat:

Q
[/QUOTE]I guess I'm not totally convinced that being able to put another pitcher in will work to get you better 5 X 5 stats overall. I know strikeouts and wins will increase but the whip and era could take a significant hit.

[/QUOTE]not necessarily true. After the mon-thu SP have been exhausted who wouldnt want to throw an Aardsma, C.Meredith, Neshak, F.Cabrera etc in there ? You could get 10 more K's a W or two and even LOWER your era and hw.

Q

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:53 am

This is true. My mind was fixated on starting pitching for some reason! Brain cramp I guess. LOL :eek:
Ed

King of Queens

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 am

Hey, why not just make it daily moves for hitters? Then you eliminate the problem of taking zeroes on ANY day. All skill, no luck.

King of Queens

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:57 am

To be clear, my previous post was completely tongue-in-cheek

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:04 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Hey, why not just make it daily moves for hitters? Then you eliminate the problem of taking zeroes on ANY day. All skill, no luck. I'd have to unplug my computer because daily moves would kill me. As if some of my teams aren't bad enough. LOL Daily move would be way too much work and too tempting! :eek:
Ed

King of Queens

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:14 am

Perhaps we can get UDA to throw in 26 more prizes. Instead of a weekly prize, let's award the transaction period winner. More prizes equals more happy customers. If we go to daily moves, even more prizes! Do well, and your whole rec room could be full by July!

Nutty Scrats

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Nutty Scrats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Perhaps we can get UDA to throw in 26 more prizes. Instead of a weekly prize, let's award the transaction period winner. More prizes equals more happy customers. If we go to daily moves, even more prizes! Do well, and your whole rec room could be full by July! I do need a pinball machine for my rec-room! This is a great idea! LOL
Ed

Gordon Gekko

Twice-a-week moves?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:23 am

Instead of being able to switch out hitters that don't have a good chance of playing this weekend, all the thome and swisher, etc... owners get a great big zero. Boy, that's a lot of fun and skill.

Koq - instead of providing your cheek comments, how about some with some substance, either good or bad. From the fluff you posted, I get the feeling you don't like it. Why? Is taking zeros what the NFBC is about?