Rules for 2020

whale4evr

Re: Rules for 2020

Post by whale4evr » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Much of the September stat volatility will be mitigated this year anyway with the mandatory 28-man rosters so this may likely become a moot point. Now Ohtani: well MLB is giving certain players pitcher and hitter designations in their feed now so the stats should be available. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like this boils down to a tech issue that the fantasy sports industry hasn't figured out yet. At the very least, it seems like the U slot could be configured to allow both hitting and pitching stats from the same player if they are designated that way by MLB.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 pm
Also, now that it seems like it is decided, can you release the vote % and how many votes each got. Purely curious. You said before you weren't ready to release that info because you were going to run another survey, but it seems as though that isn't the case anymore because your top players already made the case. I'm just interested in the results. :D
Yes, I think we are all entitled to see the overwhelming results of this survey which determined that it is best to keep things as they are incorporating a random MLB scheduling anomaly which can throw a completely arbitrary degree of dumb luck into the equation that no one can foresee and prepare for while being on the same level playing field with the rest of the competition going into these "bonus" games with potentially tens of thousands of dollars hanging in the balance. Transparency would be appreciated so that we can all see how this conclusion was arrived at. We pay for that right with our blood, sweat, tears, and dollars over a six month grind. So please let us see all of the results and why the other survey was canned apparently as Dusty has mentioned.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:29 am

whale4evr wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Much of the September stat volatility will be mitigated this year anyway with the mandatory 28-man rosters so this may likely become a moot point. Now Ohtani: well MLB is giving certain players pitcher and hitter designations in their feed now so the stats should be available. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like this boils down to a tech issue that the fantasy sports industry hasn't figured out yet. At the very least, it seems like the U slot could be configured to allow both hitting and pitching stats from the same player if they are designated that way by MLB.
My opinions weren't solicited for this survey, but the Ohtani solution is very simple. I already posted this on the new Ohtani thread. And there will always be new Ohtani threads until we come up with a real solution for how to properly calculate the worth of two way players.

He should be two distinct players, Ohtani the Hitter and Ohtani the Pitcher. If you draft Ohtani the Hitter in round eight, you get Ohtani the Pitcher as your last draft pick, be it in round 50 or round 30. This way, you can start him as a pitcher and also use him as a DH in the same scoring period. I know there are people who believe he shouldn't count as two roster spots, but this a workable compromise that won't give IT any headaches.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:29 am
whale4evr wrote:
My opinions weren't solicited for this survey, but the Ohtani solution is very simple. I already posted this on the new Ohtani thread. And there will always be new Ohtani threads until we come up with a real solution for how to properly calculate the worth of two way players.

He should be two distinct players, Ohtani the Hitter and Ohtani the Pitcher. If you draft Ohtani the Hitter in round eight, you get Ohtani the Pitcher as your last draft pick, be it in round 50 or round 30. This way, you can start him as a pitcher and also use him as a DH in the same scoring period. I know there are people who believe he shouldn't count as two roster spots, but this a workable compromise that won't give IT any headaches.

I find it interesting that apparently only certain clientele and not all were solicited for this survey. How can a serious final decision be made on anything without everyone being included in this process especially long-time veterans of the NFBC like Jim? :roll: But then again, I'm not surprised about how this entire thing went down and that the decision was most likely made prior to this survey even going out. And again, full transparency would be appreciated and I think that, we are all entitled to see all of the survey results and how it was conducted. Thanks.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am

Yah Mule wrote:
whale4evr wrote:

I find it interesting that apparently only certain clientele and not all were solicited for this survey. How can a serious final decision be made on anything without everyone being included in this process especially long-time veterans of the NFBC like Jim? :roll: But then again, I'm not surprised about how this entire thing went down and that the decision was most likely made prior to this survey even going out. And again, full transparency would be appreciated and I think that, we are all entitled to see all of the survey results and how it was conducted. Thanks.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:26 am

NFBC = THE DEEP STATE!! :shock:

NFBC = The industry's Fox News!! :shock:

I hope we can gain your trust again someday. We'll continue to do better.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:27 am

CC's Desperados wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 pm
"The reasoning is that Major League Baseball counts it as part of its regular season."

Major League Baseball also counts Shohei Ohtani's hitting and pitching statistics in the same week. Yes?

Just making a point. Thanks for the survey.
This is a lame sales pitch. If this was the case, every pitcher that hit in the NL should be treated the same way.
I think this disingenuous response is lame. Nobody is asking for Ohtani's hitting stats as a pitcher. But anything he accumulates as a DH should be counted and you're restricted from that option if you want him on the mound that week.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:26 am

FWIW, I probably would have ignored the survey anyway. Especially if it was all about game 163 because I'm neutral on that situation. Just don't hire any fuckheads like Tucker or Hannity or Lou Dobbs and we're good.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 am

Can anyone else feel the love? Showtime is fast approaching!!! Curtain comes up soon enough. Can everyone handle the pressure? :lol: :twisted:

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:24 pm

Baseball Furies wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am
Yah Mule wrote:
whale4evr wrote:

MTM- Greg said in a pst post that the survey went out to any main event player or High stakes league player this past year to get the opinions of the higher $ players first. I know I found mine in my junk email, so others likely ended in the same, so I don’t think Anyone was left out if they played the main event or higher, they prob just never saw it because it ended in their junk email.

On another note, will we get to see the survey results Greg? As I said before, I’m honestly just curious how close it was or how it wasn’t even close. I’m not asking who voted what way, just the final results of what the survey captured. I only ask now, as I inferred one of your posts as you weren’t running the second survey. But if you don’t want to release them, that is you and the NFBC’s right. Just thought I would ask one more time for curiosity sake.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Yes, of course we'll post the results. We still had a response or two trickle in yesterday, so we're just giving everyone time to respond. And we also just put all of the responses to question 3 on an Excel spreadsheet and are looking through those. We aren't hiding anything.

And Dan, your question about requested changes to the rules, 70% said they wouldn't make a rule change. The other rule changes are very subjective, like they want DL spots, they want Ohtani as both a hitter and a pitcher, they want minor-leaguers in the player pool, etc. All valid points of which we've talked about and explained our position, but yes we can post some of those in the survey results thread. We're just making sure everyone gets a chance to respond before knowing the results of everything.

And yes, of course some surveys may have gone to spam. Again, a 50% response rate is solid, so I would think most people got it and took the time to respond and we appreciate it. Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback somewhere other than these message boards.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:26 am

There it is. A subject that Greg and Mikey can agree on. A joint podcast surely in the works. Maybe it can be a video. Rotoboy driving. Greg and Mikey in the back seat. Darik can do a voice over or two.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Beautiful!!!!

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:55 pm
Yes, of course we'll post the results. We still had a response or two trickle in yesterday, so we're just giving everyone time to respond. And we also just put all of the responses to question 3 on an Excel spreadsheet and are looking through those. We aren't hiding anything.

And Dan, your question about requested changes to the rules, 70% said they wouldn't make a rule change. The other rule changes are very subjective, like they want DL spots, they want Ohtani as both a hitter and a pitcher, they want minor-leaguers in the player pool, etc. All valid points of which we've talked about and explained our position, but yes we can post some of those in the survey results thread. We're just making sure everyone gets a chance to respond before knowing the results of everything.

And yes, of course some surveys may have gone to spam. Again, a 50% response rate is solid, so I would think most people got it and took the time to respond and we appreciate it. Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback somewhere other than these message boards.

Ugh!!! Please no DL!!!

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:34 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:27 am
CC's Desperados wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 pm
"The reasoning is that Major League Baseball counts it as part of its regular season."

Major League Baseball also counts Shohei Ohtani's hitting and pitching statistics in the same week. Yes?

Just making a point. Thanks for the survey.
This is a lame sales pitch. If this was the case, every pitcher that hit in the NL should be treated the same way.
I think this disingenuous response is lame. Nobody is asking for Ohtani's hitting stats as a pitcher. But anything he accumulates as a DH should be counted and you're restricted from that option if you want him on the mound that week.
No your not, If you start him as pitcher, you get his pitching stats the same as every other pitcher in the NFBC. You have one chance to do this each week. If you start him as hitter, you get to change him on Friday just like very other hitter in baseball. It's one or the other not both. The Ohtani camp wants to gain the added value, which is a one player edge. If you want to do this, Yahoo will help you out with daily moves.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am

Yah Mule wrote:
whale4evr wrote:

No, the proper way would be to have two Ohtani's as you stated, but he could be drafted by anyone at any time. If you drafted him as pitcher in round 8 and someone else wants him as hitter, he could go the next pick. If you have happen to draft him twice, you would have achieved your goal of getting all of his stats as a hitter and pitcher.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:13 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am
Yah Mule wrote:
whale4evr wrote:

I find it interesting that one guy that types in caps and bangs a louder drum plus the low number of posters on the thread speaks for the entire NFBC.

After seven pages of posts, here's the number of posts by user (roughly)

Doughboys (26)
Baseball Furies (26)
Gekko (19)
MDECAV (13)
King of Queens (10)
Todd Z (6)
CCs Desperados (6)
Deadheadz (6)
Phille27 (5)
Yah Mule (4)
KJ Duke (4)
Coz (3)
Bronk Yankeees (2)
NorCalATlFan (2)
Bartolo Colons Fitbit (2)
Wolfpac (2)
Doctor Who (2)
GB2715 (2)
Red Sox (1)
Ultrarunner (1)
Quahogs (1)
LT Dave (1)
Dustmite (1)
Money (1)
Chthroop (1)
Whale4ever (1)
John P (1)

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 am

CC's Desperados wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:34 am
No your not, If you start him as pitcher, you get his pitching stats the same as every other pitcher in the NFBC. You have one chance to do this each week. If you start him as hitter, you get to change him on Friday just like very other hitter in baseball. It's one or the other not both. The Ohtani camp wants to gain the added value, which is a one player edge. If you want to do this, Yahoo will help you out with daily moves.
Since you have nothing to offer but the same weak straw man argument, I think we're done here.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:10 am

CC's Desperados wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am
Yah Mule wrote:
whale4evr wrote:

No, the proper way would be to have two Ohtani's as you stated, but he could be drafted by anyone at any time. If you drafted him as pitcher in round 8 and someone else wants him as hitter, he could go the next pick. If you have happen to draft him twice, you would have achieved your goal of getting all of his stats as a hitter and pitcher.
You mean, you would get the player with all the abilities you drafted. He's still taking up two roster spots.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 am

It looks like that may have taken you a bit of time to make that last post, Shawn. That shows passion. I love passion on these Boards.
I don't believe anybody is trying to speak for the whole NFBC when posting. Even if posting a lot or in bold.
Folks have told me that to get a point across in the NFBC that the battlefield for that has moved from these Boards to Twitter.
Be it many or in bold, 'speaking for the NFBC' does not necessarily come from here.
Heck, I know that most of the points I bring up here will never be adopted. And that is ok with me.
Threads like this keep this automobile on the road.

I know you were trying to make a point in the number of posts that MTM or I have, but I was more impressed by the number of folks who participated in this thread. These threads are still useful. Like you, who were passionate enough to add up all the posts, others were passionate enough to respond with their point of view. This vehicle may be breaking down, but it is still serving its purpose. I don't use twitter, so I'm grateful for that.

Hey MTM, I just went ahead of you, 27-26 :D )
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 am

I'm with KJ: I'm surprised by the passion of Bernie's Bros here and on Twitter about this subject. It's been a fun discussion, but time to release the survey results and move onto more passionate subjects. Thanks for the discussion all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:01 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:10 am
CC's Desperados wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am
Yah Mule wrote:

You mean, you would get the player with all the abilities you drafted. He's still taking up two roster spots.
Did you write this?

We need a better method of calculating his worth next season. He should be two distinct players, Ohtani the Hitter and Ohtani the Pitcher. If you draft Ohtani the Hitter in round eight, you get Ohtani the Pitcher as your last draft pick, be it in round 50 or round 30. This way, you can start him as a pitcher and also use him as a DH in the same scoring period. I know there are people who believe he shouldn't count as two roster spots, but this a workable compromise that won't give IT any headaches.