NFBC Solo Shot Championship Debuts With $30,000 Prize

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Solo Shot Championship Debuts With $30,000 Prize

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:12 pm

The NFBC is proud to announce the industry's only single-entry, season-long national championship in 2020 that carries a $30,000 grand prize. The NFBC Solo Shot Championship is a 15-team, 34-round format with a deeper bench and a lighter use of FAAB that will debut this season. It also features only one entry per owner, a lower price point and a limit of 180 teams in 2020.

Yes, we tried a single-entry national championship last year and it failed to gain traction and was cancelled. That was a 12-team format that included weekly FAAB, a format that wasn't embraced even with the single-entry format. However, we debuted a single-entry format in football and the contest was a major hit, selling out all 180 spots with demand for more. We listened to the feedback from our loyal baseball customers and tweaked the format enough to give it another shot in 2020 and have confidence that this is the right format for this audience.

Let's get right to the format for the 2020 NFBC Solo Shot Championship

* Single entry per owner (no co-managers)
* 15 teams, serpentine draft
* 34 rounds (11 man benches)
* once-per-month FAAB (the first Sunday of each month)
* $1,000 entry fee
* Pay Top 3 in each league: $4,500 for 1st place, $2,200 for 2nd place, $1,000 for 3rd place
* $30,000 grand prize, paying Top 10 overall
* Max of 180 teams (12 leagues)
* 5x5 Rotisserie; set starting lineups weekly

The NFBC Main Event continues to grow each year and we are convinced that it will grow to a record 40 leagues and 600 teams this year. So why would we add another 15-team national contest to compete with our own Main Event?

The answer is simple:
1) We believe the single-entry format has merit in baseball as much as it did in football. Drafts change when owners have only one shot to get the players they want and we'll see that in the NFBC Solo Shot Championship.
2) We know that some owners leave the NFBC Main Event despite liking the format, either because of cost or lack of success. We hope that the $1,000 price point will keep those owners competing in this format and eventually returning to the Main Event.
And 3) It adds another unique national contest for Main Event owners who would like one more shot at this format.

We believe that the majority of these Solo Shot Championship leagues will be offered Online as the timeline in New York, Chicago and Las Vegas is very, very tight. But we'll look at the schedules and see if we can fit one in at each city if there is demand for it. Look for the Schedule of Events shortly as the contest can now be found on Contest Overview and on Registration.

Here's the contest link: https://nfc.shgn.com/gametypes/baseball/102
Contest Rules: https://nfc.shgn.com/rules/460

Thanks all and we look forward to growing this single-entry format in all sports and hope that the 15-team format is a winner here. We will max out at 180 teams this year (12 leagues) with 180 unique owners. Good luck all and enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Re: NFBC Solo Shot Championship Debuts With $30,000 Prize

Post by Philippe27 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Awesome, I really think you got the format right this time, I was going to stop at 4 FAAB leagues but this format allows me to do a 5th one. Would love to draft it in NYC!

Rotofan18

Post by Rotofan18 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 pm

“Set lineup weekly”

Does this mean no Friday hitters swap??

Thanks

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 am

Rotofan18 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 pm
“Set lineup weekly”

Does this mean no Friday hitters swap??

Thanks
There are Friday hitters swap available.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:56 am

Sounds like a cool format, definitely going to add a couple of these teams...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 am

Quahogs wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:56 am
Sounds like a cool format, definitely going to add a couple of these teams...
One team per person in this format...even for NFBC Hall of Famers!! :lol: Thanks Champ.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 am

We got a suggestion to change the name of this contest to NFBC Solo Shot Championship, which is more of a baseball reference. I like the suggestion and have decided to change the name before we get too deep into the game.

NFBC SOLO SHOT CHAMPIONSHIP. I like it.

178 spots left now!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 am
We got a suggestion to change the name of this contest to NFBC Solo Shot Championship, which is more of a baseball reference. I like the suggestion and have decided to change the name before we get too deep into the game.

NFBC SOLO SHOT CHAMPIONSHIP. I like it.

178 spots left now!!!
Better name, better format.

JUPINKA

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:12 pm

I know it's odd to have a rules change after adding a contest to Registration, but since we haven't drafted even one NFBC Single Shot team yet, I'm going to throw this one out for our debut contest. I'll also email the 100 current signups as well.

After talking to some veteran NFBC owners this week and again out here in Tampa at LABR drafts, I'm hearing that while we've added a deeper bench to this contest it still isn't deep enough if we're going to have only one FAAB period per month. So here's an idea I'd like to implement now:

NEW RULE: 36 man rosters, giving each team 13 bench players.

The two additional rounds/reserve players will help with roster construction during only 1 FAAB period per month. And it will give more flexibility to owners who may want to add another Catcher, another Pitcher, another hitter for Friday moves.

Again, I'll email existing owners, but I think this will make the debut Solo Shot even better. Just like with the Draft Champions format when we first started with 45-man rosters, deeper is better and I think two more players per team could help.

I'm interested in feedback as we have 100 of 180 spots sold at this point. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius