Average Draft Time

thepats

Average Draft Time

Post by thepats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 pm

I thought it was a great idea to add this feature. I draft quickly and hoped that seeing the time would encourage others to do the same. Unfortunately, the feature doesn't work. I'm currently in DC draft # 1315 and it shows my average draft time to be over an hour mainly due to taking over 20 hours to draft Greinke in the 5th and 17 hours for Brian Anderson in the 19th. Looking at the chat room, I see the actual time for these pick was 21 minutes for Greinke and zero minutes for Anderson.

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Average Draft Time

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 am

thepats wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 pm
I thought it was a great idea to add this feature. I draft quickly and hoped that seeing the time would encourage others to do the same. Unfortunately, the feature doesn't work. I'm currently in DC draft # 1315 and it shows my average draft time to be over an hour mainly due to taking over 20 hours to draft Greinke in the 5th and 17 hours for Brian Anderson in the 19th. Looking at the chat room, I see the actual time for these pick was 21 minutes for Greinke and zero minutes for Anderson.
I wished this worked too.
It was a good idea for the NFBC to implement this, but it hasn't worked since day one.
If on the clock overnight, even with the clock stoppage, it exaggerates a time the drafter was on the clock, although the clock hasn't moved.
Even if making a pick during the clock stoppage, this happens. Then, it penalizes the next team, etc in exaggerated time.
It renders the feature, useless.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm

thepats wrote:
First of all, thanks for pointing this out to us and others who may not have even known this feature was there. It's on League Home for those who are interested. I'll admit, I don't ever look at this, but glad to see it's there and working.

This feature does work and has worked since it was launched. Unfortunately, it looks like when we must change a pick or cancel out some picks to make new picks it is throwing off the pick clock for that owner. In this draft, you can see back-to-back picks that show 20 hours or even 23 hours. Those were instances where we rolled back a pick or two and it threw the timer off.

You may not have even been the person involved with the rollback and it affected your average time per pick. We'll look into this more and see if we can fix this one aspect of the average pick calculation. Something isn't right with the rollback feature, so thanks for pointing it out.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm

The pick time is (or was) sensitive to lineup changes, so if you move a player from 1B to 2B a day after you picked him up, the draft time shows as 1 day.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:28 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 am
thepats wrote:
I wished this worked too.
It was a good idea for the NFBC to implement this, but it hasn't worked since day one.
If on the clock overnight, even with the clock stoppage, it exaggerates a time the drafter was on the clock, although the clock hasn't moved.
Even if making a pick during the clock stoppage, this happens. Then, it penalizes the next team, etc in exaggerated time.
It renders the feature, useless.
We will look at the overnight pause and make sure it's not counting toward the owner on the clock. In looking at some current results, it does seem like it is doing that. We'll get that fixed.

When we replace a Placeholder it looks like that is changing the pick time as well. That will be fixed along with the first fix. We'll get to that initially and then fix the pause timer. Again, if you see an error like this a friendly email (or even an unfriendly one) goes a long way toward us getting it corrected. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:29 pm

mdecav wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm
The pick time is (or was) sensitive to lineup changes, so if you move a player from 1B to 2B a day after you picked him up, the draft time shows as 1 day.
This might explain some of the 20+ hour picks. I think the solution we've found for the rollbacks and Placeholders will fix this too, but I'll send to IT as well. Thanks Michael.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

thepats

Post by thepats » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 am

It's been over a month since this issue was sent to IT. Any chance it will get fixed this year?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am

thepats wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 am
It's been over a month since this issue was sent to IT. Any chance it will get fixed this year?
I've been told it will get fixed soon. Sorry for the delay.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:16 pm

I'm in a draft right now that is drastically underreporting pick times. We managed a total of 26 picks yesterday, but the longest draft time listed for anyone is 16 minutes and change. That math doesn't work. Some guy who took three hours and 50 minutes on his last pick is somehow averaging eight minutes on his five picks. This whole thing is farcical. Just scrap it.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:16 pm
I'm in a draft right now that is drastically underreporting pick times. We managed a total of 26 picks yesterday, but the longest draft time listed for anyone is 16 minutes and change. That math doesn't work. Some guy who took three hours and 50 minutes on his last pick is somehow averaging eight minutes on his five picks. This whole thing is farcical. Just scrap it.
Agreed.
The green lights are superfluous as well.
We have team nicknames, but the draft order is just last names.
In chat, the authors first appear by nickname, later changed back to the last names.
All, nuances of the draft room.

Edit- Oh and DC 's were introduced with a 2-8 AM, EST clock stoppage. It is now 1-8 AM, EST clock stoppage.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Programmers are aware of the average time draft issue. It's being worked on and needs to be tested further before changes go live.

Programmers will look into the overnight pause start time on Monday. If it's 1 am ET it'll be changed to 2 am ET.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich