Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Tom Kessenich

Re: Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:52 am

Ultrarunner wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:11 pm
I have zero sympathy for someone who may be inconvenienced by moving into a 5-star hotel for a few months.

I missed holidays, anniversaries, birthdays, etc. over 5 deployments in 25 years covering substantially more than “a few months” and was not living in a hotel. I damn near missed the birth of my oldest daughter.
This speaks to the point I was making about adjustments. We're all being asked to do that now with our jobs and there are 22 million people right now who don't even have that opportunity. Again I'll say - ask them if they'd like to make adjustments for a job right now. I think we know what the answer would be. So I don't think it's asking too much of pro athletes to make adjustments either. They certainly will be much more highly compensated for any adjustments than most of us will be. And yes that matters in my opinion. The higher the compensation, the easier adjustments become. That's just a fact.

Also, I think we can stipulate that whatever plan is implemented will be done in coordination with top health officials. I hope that's not a naive thing to believe. Yes we all want sports back but we want a plan implemented that has safety first. Fauci believes this could happen and I trust him. We'll see what the NBA's Board of Governors thinks today. If the PGA holds firm on its mid-June return plan that could be our first light in the tunnel.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gildz Nation

Post by Gildz Nation » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:01 am

Greg/Tom,

Looks like we’ll have some sort of a season which is great. I have a question which I’m hoping you guys can assist with. What happens if they start the season and then have to suspend it, or even end it prematurely? I know you don’t like dealing with hypotheticals but this is something I think you’ll need to address prior to whenever this new season begins. Like if the season ends at 50 games due to an outbreak, god forbid less even, what will you do? How many games needed will constitute a fantasy season? Again I know the first hope is we get baseball back. Understood. But I do think these questions need answering if/before baseball starts. Especially in these big buy in tournaments that haven’t drafted yet... Thanks

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Gildz Nation wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:01 am
Greg/Tom,

Looks like we’ll have some sort of a season which is great. I have a question which I’m hoping you guys can assist with. What happens if they start the season and then have to suspend it, or even end it prematurely? I know you don’t like dealing with hypotheticals but this is something I think you’ll need to address prior to whenever this new season begins. Like if the season ends at 50 games due to an outbreak, god forbid less even, what will you do? How many games needed will constitute a fantasy season? Again I know the first hope is we get baseball back. Understood. But I do think these questions need answering if/before baseball starts. Especially in these big buy in tournaments that haven’t drafted yet... Thanks
I’ve asked this a few times (I think at least twice) and they have not responded with an answer, likely because they don’t know what we’re gonna get this year.

At some point for future years they should define in their rules what constitutes a playable season. Given the possibility of a labor disruption after 2021 and what transpired in 1994, this should be ironed out beforehand.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 pm

If it’s not robust, in Greg we trust.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:05 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:14 pm
"Mike Trout said Wednesday on NBC Sports Network's "Lunch Talk Live" that he has reservations about MLB's reported plan to attempt to play the 2020 season entirely in Arizona.
The plan was recently endorsed by Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who has been at the forefront of media relations and decision-making when it comes to the coronavirus outbreak in the United States. But there are many layers to this thing, and it get less and less feasible the more you peel those layers back. Players and coaching staffs could maybe live inside a quarantine bubble for a stretch, but what about their families? And what about the hotel staff and food service workers and bus drivers and grounds crew and broadcast production teams that would be necessary to keep it all running? "There's a lot of red flags," Trout said on NBC Sports Network on Wednesday. "We want to get back as soon as we can, but obviously it's got to be realistic. It can't be sitting in our hotel rooms, just going from the field to the hotel room and not being able to do anything. I think that's pretty crazy."

We all want baseball.
But it's hard to disagree with that.
Can anyone remember anything Mike Trout has ever said about anything? I've been a fan since before he made the Majors and he's one of the most circumspect superstar athletes I've ever seen. If he's voicing concerns, you can believe the sentiment is widespread.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am

Arizona is likely the only option. DeSantis is busy taking Florida off the table.

Mike Kelstrom

Post by Mike Kelstrom » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:32 am

First and foremost, we all owe Tom, Greg, and Darik great appreciation for the tremendous work they have been doing, in these terribly difficult, frustrating and depressing times. I refer to both their overall guidance and oversight, and the daily details. It must be extremely tedious to be tied to the Contest Lobby and move “contestant x” from “time A” to “time B” when it is likely there won't even be a season. As I have told Tom and Greg numerous times, I am never surprised by the excellence, timeliness and efficiency in their service, but am always impressed and very appreciative.

I never wanted to be more “wrong” about anything, but for the last couple of months have expected the MLB season to be a lost cause from the outset. I miss NFBC terribly, as it was/is my primary activity and source of enjoyment.

As fans, we have all been critical or skeptical of Rob Manfred and MLB as to their responsiveness on major issues (Red Sox????). However, at this point, it seems that MLB has done about all that it can do in regards to 2020, as Adam Silver explained relative to the NBA yesterday. Without being political, until the “powers that be”, representing the government, regulatory and medical authorities, and the science community, demonstrate that there is substantial progress, which ultimately will require universally available testing and vaccines, there is nothing that MLB can do. If the “Arizona plan” were put to a vote today, it would fail. The logistics, regulations, and unknowns seem insurmountable. Before solutions can be made in resolving those details, the one requisite, even before the advent of the vaccine, is substantial progress towards safety.

Meanwhile, the calendar inexorably moves forward one day at a time, and the window of opportunity shrinks daily. Also, whether sports commissioners, governors who regulate the schools and businesses, these leaders are confined by the uncertainty of the “science” which is out of their control. However unlikely they may believe a desirable outcome or timetable is, they cannot, as leaders, take away all hope, just in case the “science” becomes greatly accelerated, unlikely as it may be.

Again, thanks so much to our NFBC heroes, and hoping better times are ahead for us

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:05 am

Totally agree with Mike's first paragraph!

As for the rest, while I have become more pessimistic as time goes by, if this country could get the testing to a much higher level than there could be a chance to have a partial season. Trying not to be political here, but it's baffling to me how this is not getting done since it seems obvious that it's in everyone's best interests.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:56 am

Gildz Nation wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:01 am
Greg/Tom,

Anthony, we are hopeful that the baseball season can get started soon, but you are correct that we will have to come up with a plan for the possibility that the season could start and then shut down quickly. I don't have a number of games at this point as I'd love to first see how many games MLB plans on playing before giving out that number. In other words, if I said 50 games right now and they planned on playing 150 games, that would be like me saying 33% of the season constitutes a full NFBC season. If MLB says they are playing 80 games, then 50 games is 62.5% of the season. Let's see what the MLB plan is for a new season before we declare how many games will constitute a full NFBC season. Everything is still unknown today.

In our basketball contest, the NBA has finished about 63 of 82 games and we have determined that prizes will be awarded based on this total if the regular season is finished. We will award the leaders the full prize money if the season ends now.

But yes, we'll have to put the new baseball number in print before the baseball season starts. Give us time to get more information from MLB and then we'll do that.

Stay well everyone and stay healthy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am
Arizona is likely the only option. DeSantis is busy taking Florida off the table.
I don't think MLB is going to be playing any games in Georgia, either. :shock:

Now it looks like MLB is considering a three-state plan. Could this work?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... 20-season/
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:44 am

Hey, Greg. Quick question. I recall you indicating previously that the NFBC would be adjusting minimum innings pitched levels assuming we have a baseball season. That makes sense, as does waiting to know how long any season might be before deciding what those levels should be. Apologies if you've covered this previously, but is it your expectation that positional eligibility requirements also will be updated, or will those be retained as is? For instance, will a UT-only player still need to play 10 games at a position to gain in-season eligibility, or will the 10-game requirement be adjusted at some point based on the projected length of any season (e.g., if we get an 81-game season, will only 5 games be needed at a position in-season to gain eligibility)? As we draft now, this question is becoming relevant to how we evaluate certain players. Thanks, and sorry if I missed this.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:46 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:44 am
Hey, Greg. Quick question. I recall you indicating previously that the NFBC would be adjusting minimum innings pitched levels assuming we have a baseball season. That makes sense, as does waiting to know how long any season might be before deciding what those levels should be. Apologies if you've covered this previously, but is it your expectation that positional eligibility requirements also will be updated, or will those be retained as is? For instance, will a UT-only player still need to play 10 games at a position to gain in-season eligibility, or will the 10-game requirement be adjusted at some point based on the projected length of any season (e.g., if we get an 81-game season, will only 5 games be needed at a position in-season to gain eligibility)? As we draft now, this question is becoming relevant to how we evaluate certain players. Thanks, and sorry if I missed this.

Mike
Mike, I haven't commented on in-season position eligibility yet, but I think we would adjust that proportionately as well. This is automated within our system, so we'd have to change the number of games from 10, but that should be easy. Yes, it makes sense to adjust this as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:50 am

Interesting viewpoints from Scott Boras about MLB restarting:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/legenda ... -back.html
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Good point on MLB players being some of our healthiest and resilient citizens. A thoughtful piece by Boras and offers some hope!
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Sure wish Boras was the MLB Commissioner. Boyfred clearly not up to the task.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:00 am

ESPN's Jeff Passan says there will be baseball in 2020. Now the question is when will it start. Very interesting piece here:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/291 ... -where-how
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:12 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:00 am
ESPN's Jeff Passan says there will be baseball in 2020. Now the question is when will it start. Very interesting piece here:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/291 ... -where-how
I love the optimism but I have no idea why there's any need to end the season when it normally would end. Push it into November/December if you have to. Get in 120 or so games, extend the season. It's one freakin year. Big deal.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Spot on Tom. We'd have baseball a lot sooner if Boras was the commissioner. Doesn't even need a salary.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm

SportsBusiness Journal reporting that the NFL is looking at a plan that would start the season in mid-October and carry through 16 weeks with no byes and the Super Bowl being played on Feb. 28th. I'm okay with that plan as well if it means we get in a full season, but that means no Second Wave of coronavirus hits us.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm

I have to keep posting hope for an MLB regular season. The latest plan is calling for three divisions, 100 games, a late June start and possibly home games:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 039275001/

Thoughts?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm
I have to keep posting hope for an MLB regular season. The latest plan is calling for three divisions, 100 games, a late June start and possibly home games:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 039275001/

Thoughts?
Really like this proposal, best of any I’ve heard thus far. Hope they can pull off playing in the home ballparks instead of just Arizona or geographical hubs.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Mike Kelstrom

Post by Mike Kelstrom » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 am

I have posted thanks to Greg, Tom and Darik many times, for all that they do, which now additionally includes being our cheerleaders, to help try to keep our sanity and have us “keep the faith” for a MLB season. I love Greg's comment that he has to keep posting hope for a MLB season. Again, to Greg, Tom and Darik, thanks so much for your continuing excellence and leadership.

The most discouraging news in the last few days is Dr. Fauci's interview Monday when he said that “safety, for the players and for the fans, trumps everything” when it comes to the question of when sporting events will be able to resume in the country. “If you can’t guarantee safety, then, unfortunately, you’re going to have to bite the bullet and say, ‘We may have to go without this sport for this season.”

This is very notable, as Dr. Fauci is a baseball fan, and 3 weeks ago expressed optimism about a 2020 season. Clearly he is not referring to the expired NBA or NHL seasons.
The MLB plans for 3 divisions and 100 games are simply idle optimism, unless and until the country makes substantial progress towards testing (and ultimately a vaccine) available to everyone, not just those involved in the sport. Meanwhile as the calendar advances inexorably one day at a time, towards a “drop dead date”, whenever that may be, the progress towards safety seems nowhere in sight.
We all need and want this to happen. I have never been more bored in my life without baseball and NFBC; unfortunately, we are at the mercy of powers beyond our control, or beyond the control of MLB.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 01, 2020 8:08 am

The idea that MLB teams will open at their home ballparks is much closer now that it looks like teams will use Spring Training 2.0 at their home ballparks rather than return to Arizona or Florida. And honestly, that makes a lot of sense. Now we need testing, testing, testing and quick daily testing to ensure safety for all involved in the resumption of baseball:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 060567001/
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Mon May 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Trevor Plouffe just tweeted out that his sources say spring training starts June 2, opening day July1 all Games played at teams home ballpark.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sat May 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Rosenthal Article looks like either 78 or 82 game season (12 or 13 games against division opponent and 6 games against each non league geographic division opponent NL East plays AL East). Likely 7 playoff teams per league.