Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Edwards Kings

Re: Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:10 pm
I think it's a pretty solid hire. I know people will worry the analytics side will suffer, but they need a people person right now. Those players are going to catch tons of shit on the road and maybe some at home, too. Dusty is as solid a choice as any to steer them out of this mess.
Dusty is going for the ring and the Astros will let him as they try to shake off the "we stole signs better" scandal. His history of pitcher utilization is not 5 innings and out. I have nothing empirical on that so just call it a gut check. I remember us discussing on these boards how Dusty burned out staffs. It will be interesting to see how the Astros rotation will be used. Good this year maybe (old Dusty is on a mission I think) but longer term impacts (i.e. 2021 and beyond) may be worth tracking.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am

Of course, less than a week after posting how happy I was with everyone in the Draft Champions format we wake up to see a post calling out one owner for taking too long to pick in this format. Trust me, I get it. I'm on the other end of the emails when this happens and I get the owners' frustration.

But creating a special thread to call out one owner only serves one purpose: To embarrass that owner into submission, whether that be picking faster or likely having that owner stop from playing anymore. It also allows that owner to get some frustration out and hopefully allow others to pile on. I have no patience for using our boards that way and have taken down that post.

Again, I get it. It's frustrating. But it's not the type of community we want here and it's really not the purpose of the Message Boards. But I get it. And I appreciate when you contact me first and allow me to reach out to the affected owner and ask that person to continually be vigilant with their picks. I don't just sit on these requests, I reach out and try to make sure they know that others expect quicker picks.

Please continue to reach out to me when this happens. The 1-hour drafts are getting done in 7-10 days and yet I realize it's still frustrating when you have to wait the whole hour. But hopefully we'll get through this and everyone will stay more vigilant and stay on top of their picks. It's been a great drafting season and I ask that everyone who signs up for these DCs stay on point, use their queues, use their auto-picks and pick vigilantly out of respect for your fellow owners. Thanks and good luck all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 am

Maybe have an option to sign up for 30 min per pick drafts :o

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 am

Gekko wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 am
There would be a market for 30 minute DC's. We're already seeing one hour drafts filling in 2-3 days now. Halving the pick time in one hour drafts after round 30 would also be welcome.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:56 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 am
Gekko wrote:
There would be a market for 30 minute DC's. We're already seeing one hour drafts filling in 2-3 days now. Halving the pick time in one hour drafts after round 30 would also be welcome.
Agreed. Signing up for one hour drafts is an indication that the drafter wants a fast-paced draft. The clock going to half an hour after the 30th round would be a help in these drafts. A lot of folks use constant auto after round 30 in faster-paced drafts anyways.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

A couple of questions from a penny pincher, Greg.....

The NFFC's big event has a $100 discount for signing up early. Why don't we have that for the NFBC Main Event in baseball?

Compliance fees start on Feb 11. The Main Event entries are put through on Feb 17.
Can we request to have the Main Events registered sooner to avoid compliance fees?
On my tombstone-

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:15 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

The NFFC's big event has a $100 discount for signing up early. Why don't we have that for the NFBC Main Event in baseball?

Compliance fees start on Feb 11. The Main Event entries are put through on Feb 17.
Can we request to have the Main Events registered sooner to avoid compliance fees?
We offered a $100 discount for 2 NFBC Main Event teams this year. We're making progress in the NFBC. In football it's a dog-eat-dog world. I'll say no more about that crazy space.

I don't understand your second question. Any signup before Feb. 11th will not have compliance fees, even if we run the charges on Feb. 17th. Nobody to this point will see a compliance fee and through Monday. Starting Tuesday, you'll see the compliance fee added with each signup. We are creating more Special Packages so that folks can avoid compliance fees on every individual signup, but if you've already signed up for a Main Event you are good and won't have any compliance fee added on Feb. 17th when Accounting goes to work. Hope that helps.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am

Gekko wrote:
Let's just sit back, close our eyes and try to remember what life was like when every DC had an 8-hour clock!! :shock: THAT was brutal.

The NFBC folks changed the entire industry by accepting and implementing 4-hour drafts last year. You folks did it so smoothly that soon 2-hour drafts became commonplace and then 1-hour drafts. Now all of our competitors are copying us. NOBODY wants to do an 8-hour draft anymore and we don't even offer them.

Think about it: We've already completed 14 1-hour, 50-round Draft Champions leagues and 26 2-hour DCs. People are doing these drafts faster and as a result they are doing more of them. They will end up being more popular than Express leagues. And yes, I assume we could offer 30-minute drafts or cut the 1 hour DCs in half after Round 30, but honestly I think the 1 hours are working well. Yes, one owner has timed out a couple of times in those, but we'll do all we can to work through that.

We'll continue to keep pushing the envelope and make these the best they can be. We all want that and we know the rest of the industry will follow our lead. Thanks for all the suggestions and let's keep working together to make these DCs work.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:39 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:15 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

We offered a $100 discount for 2 NFBC Main Event teams this year. We're making progress in the NFBC. In football it's a dog-eat-dog world. I'll say no more about that crazy space.

I don't understand your second question. Any signup before Feb. 11th will not have compliance fees, even if we run the charges on Feb. 17th. Nobody to this point will see a compliance fee and through Monday. Starting Tuesday, you'll see the compliance fee added with each signup. We are creating more Special Packages so that folks can avoid compliance fees on every individual signup, but if you've already signed up for a Main Event you are good and won't have any compliance fee added on Feb. 17th when Accounting goes to work. Hope that helps.
That does help.
I thought with registration going through on the 17th, that compliance fees would apply. Thanks for clearing that up.
On my tombstone-

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:44 am

I have ZERO problem adding a 30-min $150 DC to the menu. Consider it done. #DraftDegenerates :lol:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 pm

We also just added a:

$150 Online Auction Championship 3 pack for $425 with just one compliance fee starting February 11th

$50 3-Pack; that is to avoid compliance fee on every signup. It will be just one $2 compliance fee for the three-pack

We'll add more if needed to help with the compliance fees. Or you can tell every state to stop charging us so much to run legitimate pay-to-play season-long fantasy businesses. :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:11 pm

This will be on registration later on today when a 30-min special clock gets pushed. I'll set it up at that time.
Darik B wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:44 am
I have ZERO problem adding a 30-min $150 DC to the menu. Consider it done. #DraftDegenerates :lol:

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 pm

30-minute $150 DC's now live...God help us

mkosmoski

Post by mkosmoski » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Darik/Greg

Good to see a 30 Minute Draft Champions go up on the Boards!
Still gives you time to do a Quick Study, and you will not need to feel the pressure of Tracking an Express DC.
We will have to see if these become even more Popular than the Express DC's

Regards
Mike

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 pm

We already have six full Main Event leagues in Las Vegas on Saturday, March 21st at 11 am PT. That was a beautiful sight last year when we had seven leagues in that big ballroom and we'll match or surpass that again. If we need an 8th league we'll move the food to a separate room if needed, so keep the signups coming for that one at Park MGM. But don't wait too long because we want full, 15-team leagues live. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:13 pm

For the Sunday Main in New York, will the 1st league that was filled stay as is or will you mix both leagues? I was hoping the first league would stay separate since it's mostly the same people as last year and it was a blast.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:13 pm
For the Sunday Main in New York, will the 1st league that was filled stay as is or will you mix both leagues? I was hoping the first league would stay separate since it's mostly the same people as last year and it was a blast.
We understand, but if we get 30 teams live there it's only fair to mix them up like other venues/online do. Trust me, you'll make new friends!! But let's see if we can fill it all up live first. If not, we'll then discuss our options. We still have plenty of time to fill both Saturday and Sunday leagues in NY.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Philippe27 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:13 pm
We understand, but if we get 30 teams live there it's only fair to mix them up like other venues/online do. Trust me, you'll make new friends!! But let's see if we can fill it all up live first. If not, we'll then discuss our options. We still have plenty of time to fill both Saturday and Sunday leagues in NY.
I know I'll make new friends and it'll be fun either way, it's just more fun to be in the same league as Liss, Modica and MTM

mkosmoski

Post by mkosmoski » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:19 am

Greg/Tom/Darik

I am Drafting in that new 30 Minute DC and noticed
That the Clock never stopped overnight.

Maybe you can see this morning why this is happening?

Thanks

Mike K

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:24 am

Yikes. How many auto picks were made?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:40 am

Gekko wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:24 am
About a dozen.
Luckily, it had the older program of two time outs before putting everybody on auto...
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:40 am
Gekko wrote:
About a dozen.
Luckily, it had the older program of two time outs before putting everybody on auto...
The older program of two timeouts before going on auto may be preferred in a 30 minute draft

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 am

This has been fixed. Teams go on auto after timing out twice in a row in a Draft Champions league for all formats. Enjoy all and we’ll get this pause fixed for the 30-minute DC.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 am

Gekko wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:40 am
Gekko wrote:
About a dozen.
The older program of two timeouts before going on auto may be preferred in a 30 minute draft
True. It may be a good thing for that format.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 am
This has been fixed. Teams go on auto after timing out twice in a row in a Draft Champions league for all formats. Enjoy all and we’ll get this pause fixed for the 30-minute DC.
Greg, this is good for the 30 minute drafts but it has been one time out and auto for all other formats.
It has worked well that way.
On my tombstone-