Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 am

If I didn't know better Coz, I'd say that your buddy Ramon brought you some of that great Puerto Rican rum and you've been drinking it constantly since March 12th. :lol: And that's not a bad thing. Keep dreaming and hopefully we'll see you in the Bellagio suite for the Thursday Night NFL Opener on September 10th.

And I hope some of what you've said is true. We can only hope for a July 4th MLB Opening Day. I don't think it's happening, but never doubt the Coz. Let's hope for an early July launch, 80+ games and baseball on TV for 4+ months. We can all dream like the Coz, right? ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:49 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 am
never doubt the Coz.
Pausma can confirm this to be true. :lol:
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 am

:shock:
9447314F-16DA-4BE8-B58F-C1AB05DEC1F4.jpeg
9447314F-16DA-4BE8-B58F-C1AB05DEC1F4.jpeg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 22914 times
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 am

:shock:
60030226-478E-4447-9C91-83DA5C4D6492.jpeg
60030226-478E-4447-9C91-83DA5C4D6492.jpeg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 22912 times
COZ

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:53 am

COZ- Pretty much agree, as you probably could tell from my prior posts. You sound like my 3d youngest son of 4. He just turned 37. We've been talking about the NWO for 15 years. I don't think you're crazy at all.

edsb41

Post by edsb41 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am

FFS. Is this an NFBC or QAnon message board?

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am

edsb41 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am
FFS. Is this an NFBC or QAnon message board?

No, it’s even worse, it’s a MAGA Board! Can’t spell OBAMAGATE without the M-A-G-A. May want to retreat to your safe space for the next 4.5 years, pal.

65F03132-F140-4570-B6BE-C7175FF12D3B.jpeg
65F03132-F140-4570-B6BE-C7175FF12D3B.jpeg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 22808 times
COZ

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:03 pm

:lol:
353767FF-F112-4957-90BA-383C36E64B04.jpeg
353767FF-F112-4957-90BA-383C36E64B04.jpeg (145.77 KiB) Viewed 22799 times
COZ

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:47 am

Man, we are running out of time....

The arrogance of both sides is infuriating/maddening/disgusting

I hate to peg MLB against the NFL and NBA but at least they could figure it out and not turn off the public in the process
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:36 am

Cotton1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:47 am
Man, we are running out of time....

The arrogance of both sides is infuriating/maddening/disgusting

I hate to peg MLB against the NFL and NBA but at least they could figure it out and not turn off the public in the process
Owners just made a proposal for a 70-75 game season today. Looks like we're getting close. Have faith, boys. 8-)
Last edited by COZ on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COZ

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am

It’s clear with today’s proposal the owners have drawn a line in the sand and can only afford about 35% of total salaries, they keep presenting the same deal in different flavors. Makeup on a pig.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:53 am

Wolfpac wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am
It’s clear with today’s proposal the owners have drawn a line in the sand and can only afford about 35% of total salaries, they keep presenting the same deal in different flavors. Makeup on a pig.
The owners have proposed the same $1.43 billion in salaries each time. They haven't moved at all. This is obviously a fight to gain the upper hand in the next CBA and I don't see the players giving in. They really can't agree to less than 100% of what they are owed or this same fight will come up again in the last year of the CBA. This looks like trouble.

That being said, the two sides are $320 million apart in an industry that normally generates $10+ billion a year. Are they really going to implode this season over $320 million among 30 owners after just getting $1 billion from Disney for MLB Advanced Media? C'mon, there has to be a middle ground of like 75-80 games at 100% prorated contracts if the MLBPA agrees to two years of expanded playoffs and is willing to defer some salaries to 2021. Adding in more playoff games seems to be worth $180 million this year and another $180 million next year, so all is not lost for the owners. And you'd think that they'd find a way to allow "some" fans into games at some point this summer, right?

All we can do now is sit back and await the players' response. The owners have not budged at all and it's disappointing. It's time for some face-to-face dialogue, hard bargaining and give-and-take from both sides. Let's do that this weekend and seal the deal.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Bob Nightengale:
"The union is expected to formally reject the proposal before Sunday's deadline."

And since Sunday is the deadline to get in at least 72-games, at least according to the owners, it's looking like a 48-50 game season...what a joke!

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Regardless of season length I’m in for the same amount of main events! It will be different but it still will be ACTION.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 am

I'd like to see a list of players who are "at risk" of Covid-19 and may sit out the season if it were played out.

Gates

Post by Gates » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:20 am

Great move from the union. This might actually give us a 70 games season. I could completely be in left field here but let see. If MLB wants to start the season mid July. There is 11 weeks up to Sept 27. If they wish to play let say 55 games, that would be 5 games a week. How can MLB at this point say that 7 games a week is too much? Health? What is the difference on a health front between 5 or 7? Not an excuse, Right. Now if MLB change the prorata % because of a higher number of games to play,they would not respect the initial agreement (100%). Didn’t MLB just lose their best angle, « time ». How can Commish explain that 50 is what needs to be enforced Now? They have enough time to play at least 66 games at the very least if they wish to implement a travel day each week.

I think MLBPA just played their best card.
Go ahead, make my day...

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 am

Gates wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:20 am
Great move from the union. This might actually give us a 70 games season. I could completely be in left field here but let see. If MLB wants to start the season mid July. There is 11 weeks up to Sept 27. If they wish to play let say 55 games, that would be 5 games a week. How can MLB at this point say that 7 games a week is too much? Health? What is the difference on a health front between 5 or 7? Not an excuse, Right. Now if MLB change the prorata % because of a higher number of games to play,they would not respect the initial agreement (100%). Didn’t MLB just lose their best angle, « time ». How can Commish explain that 50 is what needs to be enforced Now? They have enough time to play at least 66 games at the very least if they wish to implement a travel day each week.

Owners smartest response moneywise would be to make 2 proposals:
1. Force a 48 games season as per March 26th agreement
2. Offer 58 games with expanded playoffs for 2 years.

They'd make more money from option 2 but they're fine with either and they force the players to make a decision. Either the players look bad by choosing the shorter season or they choose slightly longer and owners avoid a grievance.

i hope you're right but my guess is they'll delay the start of the season of it's shorter, maybe make it a real spring training so that everyone is 100% ready to go when the season starts.

Gates

Post by Gates » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 am
Gates wrote:

Owners smartest response moneywise would be to make 2 proposals:
1. Force a 48 games season as per March 26th agreement
2. Offer 58 games with expanded playoffs for 2 years.

They'd make more money from option 2 but they're fine with either and they force the players to make a decision. Either the players look bad by choosing the shorter season or they choose slightly longer and owners avoid a grievance.

i hope you're right but my guess is they'll delay the start of the season of it's shorter, maybe make it a real spring training so that everyone is 100% ready to go when the season starts.
While every other sports fast track to resume play, a Month of camp sounds adequate enough. So maybe at the end of the 3rd week of July sounds more like day 1 of the season for a full Month of camp 2.0 That gives you a full 10 weeks at the very least. I think that players won’t make any choice, if I was the players I’d say what ever you want to enforce, go. You are the one who will answer fans about that choice. Explain why 48 or 56 and not 66-77 games. You want to play less for money reason we want to play more. Own it.
Go ahead, make my day...

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 am

The owners have to get the players' approval for expanded playoffs and that's probably worth 500 million over the next 2 years. So if they want that they have to get the players to sign on it.

They should have made that offer a month ago but I don't think they're ready to give up that money. I guess we'll find out today

Gates

Post by Gates » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 am
The owners have to get the players' approval for expanded playoffs and that's probably worth 500 million over the next 2 years. So if they want that they have to get the players to sign on it.

They should have made that offer a month ago but I don't think they're ready to give up that money. I guess we'll find out today
Exactly and perfect. We are not accepting any playoffs arrangements so just pick the games number you want and when we have to report. Over and out. Owners are not negotiating since the beginning anyway. They always offered the same deal in different format.
Go ahead, make my day...

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:11 am

Gates wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 am

Exactly and perfect. We are not accepting any playoffs arrangements so just pick the games number you want and when we have to report. Over and out. Owners are not negotiating since the beginning anyway. They always offered the same deal in different format.
For sure but what happens now if the owners come out publicly and say they made a new offer to the players for 60 games fully prorated with the expanded playoffs?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 am

Gates wrote:

You are exactly right Gaetan. The PA has told the owners to decide when and where the season starts by Monday, June 15th. If it takes a week to bring players in and three weeks for spring training the selected start time of July 14th makes sense. The owners don't want that because to limit the regular season to 48-50 games they'd have to start after August 1st and end by September 27th. And now there's no expanded playoffs for two years, which was estimated at $180 million per year for the owners.

The owners were never going to give a new proposal, so the players did the right thing. Manfred can mandate how many games to play per the March agreement and any players with existing conditions don't have to play this year. It's a mess all around, but especially for the owners now. They likely will come back with something like 60-65 games and as you say play 5-6 games per week, which everyone knows could be expanded to 6-7 games per week. If they want the players to agree to the expanded playoffs then they need to spice up the number of games. If they don't want all players to avoid playing this year, they MUST offer more than 48-50 games. If they do that, the season is dead.

It's a mess all around, but the owners should have agreed to 72-75 games with pro-rated salaries (100%), get the two years of expanded playoffs and ask for deferred payments for some players into 2021. That's the best solution now to start on July 14th and keep some semblance of peace. And the players realized that.

I think the players also know that the March agreement had language in it that they did not have to take any less than full salary and Manfred is in hot trouble with the owners over that language. A grievance against the owners could be in the players' favor, resulting in damages. Just poorly, poorly played by the management side and a fiasco for baseball fans everywhere. Including here.

Let's see what comes out of Monday's announcement and then we'll quickly decide what needs to be done here. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gates

Post by Gates » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 am
Gates wrote:

You are exactly right Gaetan. The PA has told the owners to decide when and where the season starts by Monday, June 15th. If it takes a week to bring players in and three weeks for spring training the selected start time of July 14th makes sense. The owners don't want that because to limit the regular season to 48-50 games they'd have to start after August 1st and end by September 27th. And now there's no expanded playoffs for two years, which was estimated at $180 million per year for the owners.

The owners were never going to give a new proposal, so the players did the right thing. Manfred can mandate how many games to play per the March agreement and any players with existing conditions don't have to play this year. It's a mess all around, but especially for the owners now. They likely will come back with something like 60-65 games and as you say play 5-6 games per week, which everyone knows could be expanded to 6-7 games per week. If they want the players to agree to the expanded playoffs then they need to spice up the number of games. If they don't want all players to avoid playing this year, they MUST offer more than 48-50 games. If they do that, the season is dead.

It's a mess all around, but the owners should have agreed to 72-75 games with pro-rated salaries (100%), get the two years of expanded playoffs and ask for deferred payments for some players into 2021. That's the best solution now to start on July 14th and keep some semblance of peace. And the players realized that.

I think the players also know that the March agreement had language in it that they did not have to take any less than full salary and Manfred is in hot trouble with the owners over that language. A grievance against the owners could be in the players' favor, resulting in damages. Just poorly, poorly played by the management side and a fiasco for baseball fans everywhere. Including here.

Let's see what comes out of Monday's announcement and then we'll quickly decide what needs to be done here. Thanks all.
If they were to offer 60-65 with new prorata to comeback to the same damn offer, they just don’t Care. Players should just say never mind. If they offer 60-65 games at 100, then Players could say ok to playoff request for this year only. If they offer 70-75 games, then accept the playoff request for this year and next.
Go ahead, make my day...

pigsrus

Post by pigsrus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:46 am

How is it legal for MLB to limit signing bonuses to $20,000 when they are free agents? Shouldn't they be allowed to sign with the highest bidder? I can't imagine that being acceptable in the business sector.

Gates

Post by Gates » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Gates wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 am
Gates wrote:

If they were to offer 60-65 with new prorata to comeback to the same damn offer, they just don’t Care. Players should just say never mind. If they offer 60-65 games at 100, then Players could say ok to playoff request for this year only. If they offer 70-75 games, then accept the playoff request for this year and next.

But owners with deep down pockets to their ankles will stick to their 50 games plan. And say « take this baseball fans... » I hope many many high profile players just don’t show up. Doctors paper or not. I’d love to have the MLBPA find a way to work around that 50 games plan and don’t show up.
Go ahead, make my day...