Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Deadheadz

Re: Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Sixty games?

You think with the way they “screwed” over the fans in 2020 the compromise could be 69
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:11 am

lol I keep waiting to post this thinking to see some "breaking news baseball is back" on my phone

Whether it's the unions 70 games or mlb's 60, we are no longer close to the generally agreed upon 80 games for already drafted teams to still make SOME kind of sense (I was more for 120, man starting pitcher rankings are just gonna go out the window!). So can we get a revised update on that from the NFBC big dawgs? (meaning actual management guys thanks).

Pull the trigger on refunds? Or keeping watching the offers and counter-offers rack up like an Acuna box score. There are football leagues and 60-game baseball leagues to be drafted lol.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:38 am

Southern Comfort wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:11 am
lol I keep waiting to post this thinking to see some "breaking news baseball is back" on my phone

Whether it's the unions 70 games or mlb's 60, we are no longer close to the generally agreed upon 80 games for already drafted teams to still make SOME kind of sense (I was more for 120, man starting pitcher rankings are just gonna go out the window!). So can we get a revised update on that from the NFBC big dawgs? (meaning actual management guys thanks).

Pull the trigger on refunds? Or keeping watching the offers and counter-offers rack up like an Acuna box score. There are football leagues and 60-game baseball leagues to be drafted lol.
You're not alone in waiting for that "breaking news baseball is back" alert. Unfortunately, it has yet to come to any of our phones and it's freaking June 19th now. :evil:

I think it's safe to say that EVERY MLB FAN is pissed off and disgusted with the labor impasse over the last two months. This isn't about coronavirus anymore. Hell, spring training 2.0 should be going on now with a July 4th season relaunch with the hope that the season could finish before a second wave of coronavirus. But instead the two sides have bickered all the way through this week and most of us are just sick of the situation. SICK AND TIRED OF THE SITUATION. :twisted:

What we've tried to do here at the NFBC is wait for the latest news to tell us When and Where the season is starting and then to make a final judgement on all of our contests. The resumption of the season seemed like a foregone conclusion with the number of games being the pressing issue. And what once looked promising for 100+ games is now delving down to 60-70 games. I actually thought that once the owners said 60 games and the players were at 89 that we'd find a medium of 75 games or so and go. But of course that didn't happen.

At this point, we're waiting for the final resolution, which has to come this weekend one way or another. Now it's less about the number of games and seeing if all or some of the players buy into whatever resolution is given. I mean if the owners mandate a certain number of games, there's no way that all of the players will return and that makes our decision easy. If there's an agreement to a certain number of games and all of the players buy into the agreement and return for the season, then we'll make a decision. We've waited this long -- and so have all of you -- so let's give it another day or two. The owners have tried to run out the clock on a lengthy season, but even their time is coming up.

I know some people have wanted refunds for anything less than 162 games, then 140 games, then 120 games, then 100 games, then half the season, etc. and we've refunded everyone in undrafted leagues who have asked for refunds. But we have not refunded any undrafted contest yet. I think some like the Guillotine Leagues and the Solo Shot have no chance of going forward at this point, so look for an announcement soon. But I also know the vast majority of our players want baseball to return because in all undrafted leagues where owners could have requested their money back by now they have kept their teams intact, hoping for a meaningful season. That includes the Main Event and the high-dollar private leagues. But our patience is waning thin with baseball, whether they recognize that or not.

We'll know more shortly, I'm sure. Then we'll make our decisions quickly and we'll reply to all of our members quickly. This is less than ideal for EVERYONE. Nobody signed up for this. But the entire world is making modifications. Unfortunately in baseball's case, it's modifications caused by coronavirus and compounded by GREED.

I'm not sure how baseball recovers from this. If the game returns this year and finishes with memorable playoff runs and a World Series, okay, I think it can recover. But the elephant in the room is the CBA that ends after the 2021 season and if this impasse even leads to a strike or lockout before the end of 2021. How in the hell do these two sides that don't trust each other and really hate each other, sit down and carve out an agreement that provides fairness to both sides and security for the future of the game? I just don't see it happening easily. But we'll see.

Maybe we've seen the last of baseball and contests like the NFBC. I hope not, but you never know. They've walked us down this plank before and I see the water from the edge of the plank I'm standing on. Hopefully in the next 48 hours they'll temporarily save the game of baseball and our NFBC game as well. Let's play this out to the last out and make the best call we can once we have all the facts. Thanks all and stay well/safe/healthy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:54 am

Also, all decisions on what contests we may offer after the new schedule comes out and if we'll have any live events is all up for discussion at this point. I have said that we'd try to host something live in New York City and Las Vegas if demand was there and the season made sense, but without a start date we can't discuss space availability with hotels. I just know that the Bellagio can get us space on any weekend in July and Tom has a great contact at the Stewart Hotel in New York City who is willing to help if needed.

I'm curious why MLB wants to start on Sunday, July 19th. But if that were the case, it's possible that we could look at a Friday-Saturday, July 17-18 gathering in the two cities if there was demand. We would likely offer only private auction leagues, Main Events and high-dollar private leagues, but it is worth considering. Then in Las Vegas there would be a full slate of live baseball games to enjoy/bet on for Sunday if people wanted to stick around. Just a thought.

As for additional contests, it's really hard to start up any national contest with an overall prize pool because the time frame for drafts is so short and because it's impossible to know how many teams we'd get in any contest. I mean we could offer something small and if it sells out it sells out, but it's going to be tough to do anything with guaranteed overall prizes. We'll see, but private leagues likely make more sense.

And for the record, we've refunded about 180 Main Event entries since mid-March. We went from 535 paid teams to 355 and counting. It will be impossible to get to 600 teams, so your ROI could be outstanding. Anyone who had a Solo Shot will be given an incentive to join the Main Event if that works, since the formats are exactly the same. Anyway, we love our signature event and hopefully there's enough of a season to bring some of those folks back to that contest and its $150,000 grand prize.

As for the high-stakes leagues, not a single one kept all 15 owners intact. We will have some work to do to save some of them, but once we get a schedule together we'll do our best to fill as many of those as possible. We may need to combine some of the price points, but we'll personally email everyone involved once we know more. Again, those leagues would be rescheduled closer to the start of the MLB season, so a lot of those July 17-19 or so. Hope that helps.

Okay, let's wait for some news today or tomorrow and then we'll be back on here. Stay well/safe/healthy everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am

Honestly what are we waiting for? Are we really going to play out already drafted leagues with a 65 game schedule at most?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:02 am

Gb2715 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am
Honestly what are we waiting for? Are we really going to play out already drafted leagues with a 65 game schedule at most?
In 3 private high stakes leagues I'm in, a large majority was on board with cancelling if under 1/2 a season.
But in the past couple days 42 of 45 teams in those leagues decided they instead want to play it out with the anticipated 60+ games.

These are veteran players, so maybe the NFBC player pool is a bit different, but it sure seems like most players would take something over nothing and it's too late to redraft all these leagues.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:22 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:02 am
Gb2715 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am
In 3 private high stakes leagues I'm in, a large majority was on board with cancelling if under 1/2 a season.
But in the past couple days 42 of 45 teams in those leagues decided they instead want to play it out with the anticipated 60+ games.

These are veteran players, so maybe the NFBC player pool is a bit different, but it sure seems like most players would take something over nothing and it's too late to redraft all these leagues.
Yeah I’m not interested in that and I know a ton of others who aren’t either

gellin

Post by gellin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am

I'm glad to hear that high stakes players want to play out a 50-60 game season. I agree. Does it really matter if it's 50, 70 or 100 games? Would you really draft differently for each of these scenarios? The bottom line is we can debate how a shorter season impacts player performance but nobody knows for sure, so let's play out the season with the excellent teams that we drafted and may the best teams win.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:57 am

gellin wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am
I'm glad to hear that high stakes players want to play out a 50-60 game season. I agree. Does it really matter if it's 50, 70 or 100 games? Would you really draft differently for each of these scenarios? The bottom line is we can debate how a shorter season impacts player performance but nobody knows for sure, so let's play out the season with the excellent teams that we drafted and may the best teams win.
THIS we all had equal information at the time.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 pm

gellin wrote:
Would you really draft differently for each of these scenarios?
I would, YES.

Personally, I would go as low as 80 games (half the season) before it starts becoming too much of a joke.

NFFC rules for 2020 also sets half the season as theIr threshold for having a fantasy season and prize vesting.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:24 pm

gellin wrote:

Uh you should

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:25 pm

And now every league playing or practicing is getting positive tests everywhere. Don’t see spirts lasting long if they even start

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Gekko wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 pm
gellin wrote:
Would you really draft differently for each of these scenarios?
I would, YES.

Personally, I would go as low as 80 games (half the season) before it starts becoming too much of a joke.

NFFC rules for 2020 also sets half the season as theIr threshold for having a fantasy season and prize vesting.
Most players would draft differently weeks apart, and definitely months apart, virus or not, full season or not.

But that's not the point. You can have a season or not, and you can have an NFBC to come back to or not. I know which side I'm on.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:54 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm
You can have a season or not, and you can have an NFBC to come back to or not. I know which side I'm on.
so, if MLB announced the season was only going to be 12 games, should leagues already drafted proceed? Hell, no. that means there is a line in the sand for each of us. I'd like to be around 100 games, but will go to around half the season.

if the kentucky derby announced after all bets were made, that the race was not going to be run at 1.25 miles, but at 30% of that (3 furlongs), many bettors would be outraged and future year handle would take a hit (as some bettors would not return and others would not want to risk substantial money given past precedent of such a drastic change in length of race/season).

i want the NFBC to succeed, i will financially support it (assuming their is actually a 48-60 something season) and promote it on social media.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm

We don't even know if some of the star players will even play, or who the players are that may be more prone to getting the virus and may sit. Now with the Phillies and Blue Jay players testing positive, what's going to happen if a team has many players test positive and need to be quarantined for 2-weeks? Might be doable to recover during an 81+ game season, but your'e pretty much toast anything less.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm
We don't even know if some of the star players will even play, or who the players are that may be more prone to getting the virus and may sit. Now with the Phillies and Blue Jay players testing positive, what's going to happen if a team has many players test positive and need to be quarantined for 2-weeks? Might be doable to recover during an 81+ game season, but your'e pretty much toast anything less.
One of many reasons to not play these out

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Gekko wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:54 pm
KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm
You can have a season or not, and you can have an NFBC to come back to or not. I know which side I'm on.
so, if MLB announced the season was only going to be 12 games, should leagues already drafted proceed? Hell, no. that means there is a line in the sand for each of us. I'd like to be around 100 games, but will go to around half the season.

if the kentucky derby announced after all bets were made, that the race was not going to be run at 1.25 miles, but at 30% of that (3 furlongs), many bettors would be outraged and future year handle would take a hit (as some bettors would not return and others would not want to risk substantial money given past precedent of such a drastic change in length of race/season).

i want the NFBC to succeed, i will financially support it (assuming their is actually a 48-60 something season) and promote it on social media.
The skill/luck ratio has flipped no doubt with <1/2 season.
But most of the players here are probably gamblers anyway.
And only 10 FAAB periods and most everyone is in it 'til the final couple weeks.
The sprint will actually be more fun for most owners than a 162 season.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:07 pm
Steel Lugnuts wrote:
We also don't know who will go down with TJ or pull a lat.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:20 pm
Gb2715 wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:
KJ these are two completely different things and you know it

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm
KJ Duke wrote:
Gb2715 wrote:

No doubt, not worth replying to KJ, but glad you did! :)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm
KJ Duke wrote:
Gb2715 wrote:

Sorta, but not really. See comment above.
Are we here to have fun or fool ourselves into believing we control outcomes? Yes the S/L ratio has changed, but it still exists even in a long season.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:46 pm

Regardless what happens, I'm still on board with whatever Greg, Tom and Darik decides, going to be a tough decision either way.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:32 pm

The new delay tactic is at hand - one MLB facility after another is being closed for a possible covid case.

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:49 pm

[/quote]

POINT#1=I was not referring to undrafted teams I was referring to already drafted teams. If there is any additional confusion just take a $40 Jacob Degrom, prorate his numbers down to 60-70 games (maybe what, 12-13 starts on normal rest?) and see if you don't get $4 Rich Hill (he has won me a title before so no disrespecting hill lol).

POINT#2=While it would be optimistic to think Greg and Tom will recoup full value for this season (because honestly who will) I do believe it's fair to project anywhere from 40%-70% of expected site earnings if we have atleast 60 games; that's honestly my biggest argument for just issuing refunds now. Lmao c'mon this aint ESPN or yahoo everyone reading this is in some stage of fantasy baseball obsession haha, whether you are a 20yr old newbie, a 30yr semi-veteran (like me) with a love for numbers and minor OCD, or a 50+ year old veteran who remembers doing fantasy baseball on a newspaper. No one (who matters) is going to go anywhere.

POINT#3=Random thought but did you guys ever brainstorm possibly setting up a partnership with a DFS company? Because honestly I think thats what's gonna bring in the dollars this year for a shortened schedule. 50-60 games doesnt mean anything to a daily tourney; combine that with a summer or no sports and I bet sites like Draftkings or fanduel make more on DFS Baseball in two months (whenever the season starts) than any other period.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Good observation regarding DFS, I plan on playing DraftKings should the baseball season finally get going.