The Mia League

DOUGHBOYS

The Mia League

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am

It is hard to believe, but it has been eight years since the Mia Draft.
For those that don't know about the Mia Draft, a little background.
In 2012, we did not have Draft Champions. We had 'slow drafts'.
These drafts were eight hours of clock for each individual drafter.
It led to much consternation among drafters.

The Mia Draft began like any other of these drafts. 15 drafters who did not know each other at all except for recognizing a name from entering the Main Event or seeing a name from on these Message Boards.
Soon after the draft began, natural calamities started to happen to its drafters.
Stan Kaye, who has now passed (We miss you already, Stan!) had a heart attack. I received a call from his wife.
His wife said, "Stan is going into the ambulance now, but he wanted me to tell you his pick..."

Hurricane Sandy then hit. Many drafters lost power. Most were unable to use their computers, let alone find a connection to draft.
Some went to other parts of their towns like libraries or coffee shops, just to enter their draft picks.
It was also the possible cause of a house fire for one of our drafters. That drafter having to travel to another house to make his picks while also going through a bad divorce.

Then, there was Mia.
Mia is the daughter of NFBC drafter Roger Martin.
Roger called me and said that he was going to put the rest of his draft on 'auto' so as not to interfere with rest of the draft.
He explained that his six year old daughter, Mia, was going to the hospital and that something was not right.
I told him not to put himself on auto, that I would explain to the other drafters what was going on and that we would work it out.
The outpouring from those drafters was phenomenal. Not one drafter was concerned about the clock in the draft or even the draft itself.
The focus was on Mia.
Mia underwent surgery for a brain tumor. She didn't know it, but she had a real Mother, a real Father, and 14 other Father's rooting for the best outcome.
After another surgery and a few days, Mia was out of the woods.
It was an incredible feeling for the 15 of us.
I remember both Stan and I sharing tears together over the phone that a little girl that we both did not know, was feeling better and recovering.

The draft took forever and nobody cared. And this was a draft that featured two very large proponents of fast drafting in myself and Mike the Mouth!
What mattered was that Mia was ok.
I don't have the list of those 15 drafters. So if you were a member of that draft or somebody does have that list, please reply to this thread.
You are to be commended!

Since that draft, we have had a draft each year, dedicated to Mia.
Some of the drafters have even donated their winnings to Mia for a College fund through the years.
Mia, now 14, is involved in raising a pig for the second year in a row and fellow drafter Lindy Hinkelman has given her advice and helped her in other ways in the raising of those pigs.

For the eighth year in a row, we will not have KDS for the Mia League.
Mia, herself, will pick our draft order out of a hat.
It is one of the highlights of the drafting season for a lot of folks.
The Mia Draft will begin next Saturday, January 25, 11 A.M. EST
The Drafters are...

Roger Martin
Bryan Vogel
Scott Davis
Chad Fleming
John Pausma
Mark Bendar
Lindy Hinkelman
Eric Albright
Mike Mager
Ante Meich
Dan Semsel
Marc Perlmutter
Ken Little
Mike Massotto
Dan Kenyon

Greg, some of these drafters won't be able to sign up this weekend. I am hoping that you can put this league in Monday morning and I'll send out a message for all the right folks to sign up, sound good?
Thanks to all these drafters and especially to those original drafters.
And thanks, Mia.
I know that when reading the names for the draft picks here that you will, again, be a hit to all the Fathers of the NFBC.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Thurman15

Re: The Mia League

Post by Thurman15 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Great for you guys to proudly carry this draft on every year. I noticed that most, if not all entries are pretty experienced drafters Good luck Have fun.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Sounds good. Just let us know on Monday all the details and we'll get it set up on Registration and send you the link. Thanks guys and enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Found the video
Dan Kenyon
Rich Van fleet
Dan Dismuke
Mike Edelman
Stan Kaye
Steve Jupinka
Sam Botnick
KJ Duke
Joe Berg
Me
Alan Greenburg
Mike Massotto
Mark Bendar
Ken Little
Ante Meich

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Dan,

I was in that draft. Great recollection of events that transpired. I played the year after, maybe two, with the same core of drafters. However, it think it was a FAAB league for awhile (or became one) so I exited stage left.

Great to see it still going. Love seeing Mia pull the names out of a hat every year. So thankful for the Martin family that she overcame that illness and is becoming a beautiful, young lady!
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 pm

I think we had 2 drafts running over. we had the ending of the premature and the beginning of the 50 round email draft.
always nice to hear from you Ando.

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:23 pm

The annual post keeps getting better and better Dan! Well done👍🏻😃

Can’t wait to see the picks Mia! ;)
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

Rog

Post by Rog » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Here is the draft order if clicking on the link and it doesnt work copy and paste should work
https://youtu.be/tybAAftUqtA

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm

My! How that little girl has grown up!
Great job, Mia.
Make sure you keep that pig fat and happy!
On my tombstone-

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 pm

This is a highlight for me every year. She's turned into quite the young lady, Roger. I bet you there are days you miss the "Daddy" when she pulled your name :D

Good luck to all and thanks again, Mia!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Tomhas adjusted our draft order to Mia's wishes.
We are good to go for Saturday Morning!
Thanks again, Mia. SUPER job!
On my tombstone-

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Highlight of my day each year. Thanks for the great draft spot, Mia. Sending you all of the winnings when I take down this league this year. You can put it towards pig feed, college, whatever! :mrgreen:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

mbendar16

Post by mbendar16 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 pm

The highlight of my drafting season every year and glad to be able to be a part of this league again. Great job Mia!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 am

Nice! I was fortunate to participate one year (unfortunately unable the next) and had a blast. Glad this is still going on as this represents the best of our little and slightly off-kilter community.

Congratulations all and especially to the blessed family. Mia...you have grown into the beautiful person we all knew you would be.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Rotties

Post by Rotties » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Two years in a row?? Excellent job Mia!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 am

Well, another successful Mia Draft event in the books over the course of a brisk two days this past weekend into early Monday with some of the best of the best people and competitors that the NFBC has to offer. Always my pleasure to facilitate this one especially. Good luck to all, and continued love, health, and happiness to Mia Martin and her very lucky, blessed, and thankful family! :D
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry