2019 NFBC Champion Profile - Andrew Edenbaum

Tom Kessenich

2019 NFBC Champion Profile - Andrew Edenbaum

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 am

As a 72-year-old trial attorney, Andrew Edenbaum is no stranger to big-money resolutions. He’s been on the winning end of million-dollar judgments and settlements.

Winning big money is something Edenbaum is quite familiar with.

When the 2019 fantasy baseball season had come to an end, what Edenbaum accomplished wasn’t noteworthy in his mind for the money he had won (though it was significant). On the contrary, it was the achievement itself that resonated most powerfully.

“It’s a tremendous accomplishment,” he said, “which can never be taken away.”

That is certain. Edenbaum was the NFBC’s 2019 RotoWire Online Championship contest winner. And that title will forever be his.

As meaningful as a national title would be for any fantasy player, it was even more meaningful for Edenbaum. His fight to win the Online Championship was not the only battle he was waging. He also was diagnosed last summer with prostate cancer.

Edenbaum recently had successful surgery and is on the road to full recovery. Having conquered that obstacle his mind is now focused on achieving fantasy baseball immortality.

“I’m ready to begin my quest for the impossible dream – back-to-back championships,” he said.

Given all that’s transpired for Edenbaum in the past year it would be unwise to rule it out.

Last season’s championship came in convincing fashion. Edenbaum finished with 94.5 percent of the available points in the contest to easily outdistance James Tomony’s runner-up team. He also won three other Online Championship league titles, placed four teams in the Top 90 in the contest and won a $2,500-entry Super league title as well.

It’s the kind of season that not only makes seasoned fantasy players blush but catches the eyes of those closer to home.

“My four sons, all huge baseball fans, were extremely impressed and overjoyed,” Edenbaum said.

Edenbaum’s road to the championship and its $125,000 grand prize began in early March. He had the third pick in his draft, selected Christian Yelich and was on his way to fantasy baseball immortality. It took some time, however, for him to become truly confident he had built something special.

“When I took over the lead in late July or early August, I thought I had a solid team,” Edenbaum said. “Yelich went down the same day I was told that I had prostate cancer, but I never stopped believing.”

A strong roster built through his draft and key FAAB acquisitions helped Edenbaum keep the faith. A $78 bid for Keston Hiura paid off as did adding Taylor Rogers for $31 and Liam Hendricks for $12 in June.

Edenbaum began building a sizeable lead in August but that didn’t make the race to the finish line any less stressful.

“It was exhilarating to say the least,” he said of the season’s final weeks. “I remained as calm as possible given the anxiety the situation presented.”

When the dust finally settled, Edenbaum stood alone at the top of the contest’s overall standings. He had become the 11th champion in Online Championship history and had collected a sweet $125,000.

The title was especially meaningful as it came in his first season in the NFBC without a partner. He joined our contest in 2012 and spent his first seven seasons partnering with Emmett Ruland.

“He taught me more about the NFBC than anyone else,” Edenbaum said. “I spent countless hours with him discussing baseball and, more particularly, strategy.”

Those lessons learned paid off in a big way in 2019. And now his focus is on even bigger things in 2020.

“I’ve gained more confidence in my skill level,” he said.

Edenbaum’s fantasy endeavors are a part of a lifetime spent devoted to the game of baseball. His fandom began after seeing the Giants at the Polo Grounds in 1954 and has not abated in the years since.

“Willie Mays was my first idol of my life and was fortunate to see him in the 1954 World Series, when I was 6-years-old,” Edenbaum said. “That was Game 2 of the Series, when Dusty Rhodes homered for the second game in a row, and again at the 1960 All Star game at Yankee Stadium.

“However, decades later, in 1992, at Jack Murphy Stadium, Willie Mays and Bill White sat directly across the aisle from my friend and myself, and I still have the signed balls by both of them. I have a signed copy of the catch off of Vic Wertz, amongst my awesome baseball memorabilia collection.

“If you walk into my home and look at all the walls, you'll see my great love of baseball (and music), and come upstairs to my office, you'll find an amazing collection of jerseys, baseballs, and cards from America's greatest past time.”

An incredible collection which mirrors an incredible life and was highlighted by an incredible NFBC season a year ago.

“I feel privileged to see what I have, and the honor and pride of winning the NFBC Online Championship, is right up there with all that I've seen and done,” he said.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

JohnP

Re: 2019 NFBC Champion Profile - Andrew Edenbaum

Post by JohnP » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 am

Wow. Awesome write up and awesome story. Congrats on both wins Andrew!

Yankees2009

Re: 2019 NFBC Champion Profile - Andrew Edenbaum

Post by Yankees2009 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks John. Appreciate it.