MLB Season Postponed (edit: official)

Philippe27

Re: MLB Season Postponed?

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:10 am

Here's how I see it:
-The money I paid already was still going to be locked up until October anyways.
-The season probably won't start on time but if it does and we didn't draft then it totally sucks.
-If the season is delayed by 2 months, how many players does it really affect? 5-10 players at most of those were already question marks and guessing so I don't think it adds to the guessing, it's just a different kind of guessing.
-If this is worst case scenario and the season has to be cancelled, we'll know in a few months and we'll all get our money back.

I think the important thing is to inform everyone before drafts start that even if the season is postponed, these drafts will stick and that they will be cancelled if the season is less than 80 games for example or whatever number we choose. It just needs to be clear and we'll draft accordingly.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 am

Ultrarunner wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am
mdecav wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 am
It only takes a few owners to be skittish that a draft/auction can’t occur. I think it is more likely than not Opening Day will be pushed. Given that, we should delay all live events until we know what is what. My guess is that is what happens. We can always do these things online.
And if the season starts as normal and MLB does what the NCAA is doing with live events with no spectators beyond players’ families? What then?
Given what the NBA just did I find it more likely than not that OD will be suspended.

You can’t have a live event if everyone isn't there.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am

Uncertainty, certainly adds intrigue to this weekends drafts and next.
Not only are we evaluating baseball players and their skill sets, but also injected into the thought process are our opinion in when those skill sets will be put to use.
If feeling certain that MLB will start at a later date, then players such as Clevinger and Judge become more attractive with each day pushed back.
If feeling that MLB will start on time, they're not attractive at all.
Man, I love the process. :D
At the same time, it sure is a pain in the ass. :evil:
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:44 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am
Uncertainty, certainly adds intrigue to this weekends drafts and next.
Not only are we evaluating baseball players and their skill sets, but also injected into the thought process are our opinion in when those skill sets will be put to use.
If feeling certain that MLB will start at a later date, then players such as Clevinger and Judge become more attractive with each day pushed back.
If feeling that MLB will start on time, they're not attractive at all.
Man, I love the process. :D
At the same time, it sure is a pain in the ass. :evil:
I and many others will be asking for refunds should the season be shortened too long. no way am i risking 15-20K on an 81 game season for example.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 am

**At least two NBA teams have advised players, coaches and team personnel who might have been exposed to an opponent who later tested positive for coronavirus to self-isolate themselves as they await test results.

This is just the beginning. Not that far fetched to believe sooner or later MLB teams will be quarantined.

I'm guesstimating a July start date for MLB; with a possible pivot to the season being cancelled all together

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 am

Gekko wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 am
**At least two NBA teams have advised players, coaches and team personnel who might have been exposed to an opponent who later tested positive for coronavirus to self-isolate themselves as they await test results.

This is just the beginning. Not that far fetched to believe sooner or later MLB teams will be quarantined.

I'm guesstimating a July start date for MLB; with a possible pivot to the season being cancelled all together
Thing change dramatically every 12 hours so hard to know what will happen a month from now. Either we draft and say that these drafts will stand if the season begins before say June 1st or if the MLB makes a decision by tomorrow to delay the season then we just cancel everything and do all the drafts online when the next spring training begins.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:58 am

Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Jazz players said privately that Rudy Gobert, who tested positive for the virus on Wednesday, had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings.

https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-dono ... ronavirus/

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:01 am

MLS is suspending its season immediately until further notice due to coronavirus, a source with knowledge of the situation tells Sports Illustrated.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/12 ... 6732725249

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:09 am

NCAA tourney and MLB next.

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am

Maybe because I have 5 stents in my heart. Perhaps it's having cancer. Could be at 72, I don't know how many fantasy baseball seasons I have left. I believe in free will. For ballplayers as well as fans. I agree wholeheartedly with Ultrarunner. MLB is NOT the nba or mls, where each sport spent a lot of time in China, Italy and other parts of the world.
My biggest concern is not that I or anyone else will contract coronavirus, but that Manfred will follow the sheep who are so politically "correct" to allow a media driven panic to dictate his thought process. The flu causes countless more Americans to get sick and die, and no one has ever raised the notion of suspending or cancelling the baseball season on that basis.
What ifs and the unknown are part of life, and we all have our own personal choices to make. I've heard the sky is falling many times in my lifetime, and can't remember when it ever fell. Of course, the media reminds of the epidemics throughout history which killed millions, such as the Spanish flu of 1918. Medicine and the world has come a long way from that, and based on everything I've heard about the Coronavirus, it is easily treatable, and essentially will afflict the elderly and infirm. We all have vast greater knowledge about how to stay healthy than ever before, and nothing is certain, and life in this country does allow (or should allow) for free will.
I apologize if I offended anyone with my take on this matter

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:59 am

Hearing that on-ice officials who are on the road now to work NHL games have been told to book flights home ....

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/statu ... 2516029440

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:02 am

Yankees2009 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am
Maybe because I have 5 stents in my heart. Perhaps it's having cancer. Could be at 72, I don't know how many fantasy baseball seasons I have left. I believe in free will. For ballplayers as well as fans. I agree wholeheartedly with Ultrarunner. MLB is NOT the nba or mls, where each sport spent a lot of time in China, Italy and other parts of the world.
My biggest concern is not that I or anyone else will contract coronavirus, but that Manfred will follow the sheep who are so politically "correct" to allow a media driven panic to dictate his thought process. The flu causes countless more Americans to get sick and die, and no one has ever raised the notion of suspending or cancelling the baseball season on that basis.
What ifs and the unknown are part of life, and we all have our own personal choices to make. I've heard the sky is falling many times in my lifetime, and can't remember when it ever fell. Of course, the media reminds of the epidemics throughout history which killed millions, such as the Spanish flu of 1918. Medicine and the world has come a long way from that, and based on everything I've heard about the Coronavirus, it is easily treatable, and essentially will afflict the elderly and infirm. We all have vast greater knowledge about how to stay healthy than ever before, and nothing is certain, and life in this country does allow (or should allow) for free will.
The difference with the flu is that it spreads twice as quickly, there's no vaccine to protect the elderly and the flu goes away in April with warm weather. We're not sure if this virus will go away in April.

If it's contained now, yes it sucks everything is shut down for a few weeks but then it'll be done. If we don't contain it and let it go and the warm weather doesn't slow it down then it'll be impossible to contain, hospitals will be overloaded and a lot of people will die.

Singapore and Taiwan have fewer cases than most countries because they took precautions instead of just reacting.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:11 am

Yankees2009 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am
Wonderful post....
Except for the last line. If folks are offended, so be it. :D
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am

Big 12 tournament cancelled

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am

ACC tourney just cancelled

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am

There is a feeling of inevitability among executives that Major League Baseball will be suspending spring training as soon as today, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 8914439174

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am

All this bravado will really age well if a few members of our group succumb to this illness or suffer tragic family losses.

Social distancing is important so we don't overload hospitals. If you are afflicted with Corona, it would be nice to have a bed or, if need be, a ventilator to save your life. Getting everybody sick at once will take up hospital resources that are necessary for the regular patient load you would expect from heart attacks, strokes, cancer, accidents, etc. So, the Corona death toll will not be limited to the disease and being stupid and selfish about things isn't going to help anybody. You're not going to get to do a draft or drink beer with your friends? Some people are going to be burying loved ones next week.

Done with this thread. Keep parroting the comments of a worthless sonofabitch like like trump if you like. I love all you guys, even the most stubborn assholes in this fraternity, and I don't want to say goodbye to any of you over Zack fucking Wheeler.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:41 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am
All this bravado will really age well if a few members of our group succumb to this illness or suffer tragic family losses.

Social distancing is important so we don't overload hospitals. If you are afflicted with Corona, it would be nice to have a bed or, if need be, a ventilator to save your life. Getting everybody sick at once will take up hospital resources that are necessary for the regular patient load you would expect from heart attacks, strokes, cancer, accidents, etc. So, the Corona death toll will not be limited to the disease and being stupid and selfish about things isn't going to help anybody. You're not going to get to do a draft or drink beer with your friends? Some people are going to be burying loved ones next week.

Done with this thread. Keep parroting the comments of a worthless sonofabitch like like trump if you like. I love all you guys, even the most stubborn assholes in this fraternity, and I don't want to say goodbye to any of you over Zack fucking Wheeler.
Just finished canceling trip to Vegas. It is not that hard to just act with caution and laugh later rather than be ignorant and sorry later

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 am

Yah Mule wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am

No need to get upset, Jim.
Everybody approaches and reacts to disaster in different ways and are aware of the consequences.
In a way, we are all slaves to this damn thing.
It will have the final say.
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am

Announcement expected shortly that MLB will be suspending operations. More details to come.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 7383359488

Money

Post by Money » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:45 am

Gekko wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am
Announcement expected shortly that MLB will be suspending operations. More details to come.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 7383359488
I want to daft as badly as the next guy.I would not be comfortable drafting any team not knowing the season starting date. When they suspend the start of the season, they will have to give teams at least two weeks to ramp back up. During those two weeks are when the fantasy drafts should be held in my opinion. I'm not putting up 10k in the diamond and drafting with an open ended start date. I think this needs to play out and there will be plenty of time to draft online at that time.
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 pm

I think everyone knows we understand the situation and will make a quick decision as soon as Rob Mandred makes a call on the season timeline. We need MLB to get off their asses and make this tough — but prudent — decision.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

I think that it is obvious that there will be some sort of delay to the start of the MLB season, but there WILL be a season. It sucks that it may be abbreviated, but this may come with the territory no matter what in other extenuating circumstances that could come up. We all know that going in whether we care to acknowledge it or not. At this point we are all in the same boat, and on the same level playing field. Hold the damn drafts whether people want to do them on line or live in small, controlled gatherings (it's not like there is going to be more than 100 of us max in any one confined space and for one morning at most), and let the chips fall where they may. We all have to cope with a shit situation. Why make it worse my adding more misery to it my cancelling something we all look forward to and love when it can be managed sanely and safely? And if anyone thinks this is still too dangerous, then you shouldn't really be leaving your house at all until this all blows over, which it will believe it or not.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:08 pm

at least two weeks is the word

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:11 pm

Baseball Furies wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
I think that it is obvious that there will be some sort of delay to the start of the MLB season, but there WILL be a season. It sucks that it may be abbreviated, but this may come with the territory no matter what in other extenuating circumstances that could come up. We all know that going in whether we care to acknowledge it or not. At this point we are all in the same boat, and on the same level playing field. Hold the damn drafts whether people want to do them on line or live in small, controlled gatherings (it's not like there is going to be more than 100 of us max in any one confined space and for one morning at most), and let the chips fall where they may. We all have to cope with a shit situation. Why make it worse my adding more misery to it my cancelling something we all look forward to and love when it can be managed sanely and safely? And if anyone thinks this is still too dangerous, then you shouldn't really be leaving your house at all until this all blows over, which it will believe it or not.
If you can get 15 people to show up for a draft when the season has been postponed, I'm sure we can get more than that to show up with 2 weeks notice and when we're all excited that baseball is starting again. If everything shuts down for the next month, when this all blows over it shouldn't be too hard to find a conference room or large suite to hold the drafts...