All time leagues

Cocktails and Dreams

All time leagues

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Hope everyone is staying safe out there. Scary time out there. While I don't know that I would want to even participate just rekindling that concept of an all time league like some of you guys had done a long time ago. Seems like you had fun with it. Might be a good time to do some concept of that, maybe a decade one from last ten years, or since NFBC existence. Just throwing it out there. Might be a while until we have real sports again.

mdecav

Re: All time leagues

Post by mdecav » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:18 pm

I’d like to participate in that!

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Interesting, the same thing occurred to me.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:27 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:35 pm
Hope everyone is staying safe out there. Scary time out there. While I don't know that I would want to even participate just rekindling that concept of an all time league like some of you guys had done a long time ago. Seems like you had fun with it. Might be a good time to do some concept of that, maybe a decade one from last ten years, or since NFBC existence. Just throwing it out there. Might be a while until we have real sports again.
I talked to Scott Fleming about this yesterday.

Here's the rules I used in 2011:

2011 All Time Draft:

You can draft any player who played in the AL or NL starting from 1901 to present (no Federal League players). We are using a 20 game minimum in season for the batting positions. If a player qualifies at multiple positions, you can move them around during the draft until you fill your roster.

For pitching, we are using two relief slots on the roster. A pitcher needs to have 30 relief appearance to qualify as a reliever.

Format:

This is a standard 15 team Roto league. Each team will be drafting 23 players [14 hitters – 2 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 1 CO (1st or 3rd), 1 MI (2nd or SS), 5 OF, and 1 utility (any batter) and 9 pitchers (1500 innings minimum and 2 required relief pitchers)]. There are 10 categories – five hitting (BA, R, HR, RBI, and SB) and five pitching (W, ERA, WHIP, K’s, and SVs). Each team will be ranked in each category from 1st to last. The top team will receive 15 points and the lowest will receive 1 point. Teams will split points if they are tied in a category. BA, ERA and whip will go to the furthest decimal point to break ties.

If an owner drafts a player in the early years and he has pitching and hitting stats, he will only get the stats for the position he decides to use him at. A hitter will receive no pitching stats and pitching will receive no hitting stats.

If a team fails to get enough innings, he will receive one point for all pitching categories with no other team gaining any points. If a team selects a starting pitcher when he has only two relief slots left, he must make another selection.

This league will have running standings with the exception of rounds 5, 10, 15, and 23. In those rounds, we will be using a neutral party for our selection and the year of stats we are using. In each round a player will declare the player they select plus the year they want to use their stats.

We will be using Baseball-Reference.com for our stats. Their stats right or wrong will be our guideline.

This is a slow draft with a 24 hour clock. If a team is timed out, it will go to the next pick. After that player makes his pick, it will go back to the previous team and he will have two hours to make his pick.

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:18 pm

If we run this again, with whatever time frame is chosen, I'd be in.

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:16 pm

It certainly sounds like we're going to have a lot more time to kill than any of us want to admit. Let's figure out what time frame we want to use for this draft so that I can get my spreadsheet going. :D

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:54 pm

Just taking a shot and bumping this one up again -- any interest?

gellin

Post by gellin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:48 am

I'm also interested.

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:23 am

I'd love to try to run something more recent -- like 1980 - 2019 or maybe even a shorter window. Doesn't sound like there's enough interest to get it going though.