MTM Second Chance Fast DC #2: No Doom & Gloom Zoom Draft!

Baseball Furies

MTM Second Chance Fast DC #2: No Doom & Gloom Zoom Draft!

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 pm

Okay, been in hibernation a bit lately, but still working on staying sharp for when we have an official start date for the 2020 MLB season soon, and all the NFBC events (including the live ones ;) )are a go! So in the meantime, we now have this: One of my classic semi-fast to fast DC's with a twist. I need to put my premiere (or whatever the hell they call it) Zoom business account to better use. I'm sick of seeing my clients face-to-face every day, so I thought it would be a blast getting sick seeing some of your faces for a couple of days as we draft in this one to give it a live event kind of feel. :P :lol:

It will be the usual set up with the goal being about 20+ rounds/day starting this Friday early evening like 6:00 p.m. EST, and wrapping it up casually for the final 10 rounds or so come this Sunday on Mother's Day when most of us will be on auto for the last several rounds anyway after all the fun rounds are in the books, but if it lingers into Monday, so be it. I'll be setting up blocks of time when anyone who would like to can (and should) log in to the predesignated video conference times so we can all shoot the shit and talk about whatever while we're making our expedited picks. I'll set it up so I don't even need to be on the entire time so that you fuckers can talk about me behind my back if you'd like. :mrgreen: :lol: But my goal is to have a bunch of us on for good portions of the draft during prime time hours. I'm thinking like 7:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. Friday, and Saturday from like 1:00 p.m. EST to whenever. We'll figure it out, but I have the unlimited plan with all the bells and whistles. All you need to do is click on the link from the invites I'll send and make sure that your audio and video is enabled. Best to do this from you computer, but you can also join in from your phones or other mobile devices if you'd like once you download the Zoom app if you don't already have it.

So who's game and wants in? Let's fill this up ASAP so that I have plenty of lead time to set it all up on my end. I have started the list below for those of you who have expressed interest in this one already. I think if this ends up being as much of a hit as I think it will, I may start doing some of these as regular offerings in non-plague seasons as well. :roll:

1. MTM
2. Marc Winokur
3. Mike Mager
4. Ante Meich
5. Jim Christie
6. Scott Waggener
7. Sam Horton
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Eddie Gillis
10. Zack Waxman
11. Scott Fleming
12. Ken Magner
13. Winston Guest
14. Joe Anthony

Sign-up Link: https://nfc.shgn.com/signup/baseball?fo ... 183,7200,0
Last edited by Baseball Furies on Thu May 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Lunatic

Re: MTM Second Chance Fast DC #2: No Doom & Gloom Zoom Draft!

Post by Lunatic » Tue May 05, 2020 5:29 am

I'm in
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue May 05, 2020 9:19 am

Now JUST NINE SPOTS LEFT! This one isn't going to last long, so you better let me know quickly if you want in! 8-)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am

Lightning rate of sign ups! Now down to JUST SEVEN SPOTS LEFT! 8-)

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Now JUST FIVE SPOTS LEFT! And ironically not a single person I'm looking forward to seeing on video. :P :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Baseball Furies on Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm

I just may be the oldest participant :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed May 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Now JUST FOUR SPOTS LEFT! 😎

Sack

Post by Sack » Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 am

Mike:

Wow, this will transport me to lovely ROCHESTER! I can make fun of the oldest participant,
provided I can figure this ZOOM thing out. I'll have to make sure the CHIP is home for a spell.

What is the Price Point Michael? Can't be to steep it CHRISTIE jumped in. Hey OPA, did you
check with Lorraine?

Where's Joe Anthony? We need the Ice Cream Man - Roy Erickson! Never met a Met or a Yankee
he didn't like!

OK Mouth I'd like to be part of your gathering! Thanks pal.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu May 07, 2020 12:34 pm

Sack wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 am
Mike:

Wow, this will transport me to lovely ROCHESTER! I can make fun of the oldest participant,
provided I can figure this ZOOM thing out. I'll have to make sure the CHIP is home for a spell.

What is the Price Point Michael? Can't be to steep it CHRISTIE jumped in. Hey OPA, did you
check with Lorraine?

Where's Joe Anthony? We need the Ice Cream Man - Roy Erickson! Never met a Met or a Yankee
he didn't like!

OK Mouth I'd like to be part of your gathering! Thanks pal.

Cool brother! Great to have you on board for this one! Now JUST THREE SPOTS LEFT!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Winston Guest wants to join the fun. I put his name on the list.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu May 07, 2020 9:00 pm

NOW DOWN TO JUST ONE SPOT LEFT! Who wants it? Sure to be a blast of a FAST DC Event! I mean who can pass up the opportunity to have their team destroyed by me personally, face-to-face as you're making your picks? :lol: :mrgreen:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 08, 2020 10:22 am

Okay, whew, we got all 15 owners into this league and draft spots will be announced shortly. Sorry to the four owners who signed up and couldn't get in. We've put you in the next 2-hour league that will start 30 minutes after the league fills. Maybe that will be tonight.

This is now the 9th sold out Second Chance league with the goal of hitting 15 full leagues. We will shut off this overall contest once we fill 15 leagues, so plan accordingly. Thanks all and enjoy the Zoomcast.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 am

Now, that was fun. Started at 6 pm EST and knocked out almost 22 rounds the first night. Most guys were hanging out in Zoom chatting and BS’ing for the bulk of the evening. Great idea by MTM and a fun lockdown distraction.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat May 09, 2020 9:34 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 am
Now, that was fun. Started at 6 pm EST and knocked out almost 22 rounds the first night. Most guys were hanging out in Zoom chatting and BS’ing for the bulk of the evening. Great idea by MTM and a fun lockdown distraction.
Great to hear. I was out last night, but wanted to crash the party for a bit. Sounds like I would have been a distraction!! :lol:

Yes, great idea. We are hosting Zoomcasts right now in the NFFC through our promotional partner FantasyPoints.com and they are going well. This looks like another advancement of online drafts. Good job Mike and good job everyone involved. Good luck the rest of the way.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat May 09, 2020 11:20 am

I'm in now.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon May 11, 2020 10:59 pm

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the guys who participated in this one with the added twist of the Zoom component. We started 6:00 p.m. this past Friday and the majority of the draft was done by Mother's Day morning. In between there was some great drafting with some of the best of the best players in the NFBC. And after getting to spend some extended face-to-face time with most of these guys, I can honestly say they are some of the best of the best people in this competition as well. That first night I had intended to be jumping on and off the Zoom video conference throughout the evening, but seven hours later I realized I hadn't left the room and the dozen or so of us that were on the majority of the night for about 22 rounds of picks. :D Just a great time getting to know these guys even more so on a personal level and some for the first time ever. We even had a celebrity guest appearance on Saturday by Tom himself, as apparently Greg's wife had finally allowed him out of her enforced quarantine just long enough to keep him busy shoveling May snow and to berate him for all the shit he hadn't done for her while he was in her quarantine, so he was a no-show. :P :lol: Hope to do this again one more time before the start of the season, and may even make it an annual institution just for the hell of it in normal times since it was such a blast. 8-)

So to summarize, here's what I learned from this whole experience:

1. For every year since I have known them, I have been pronouncing the last names incorrectly of Mike Mager, Marc Winokur, and Ante Meich, and they were either too scared or too polite to correct me on it to get them right. :lol:

2. The two new MTM anointed nicknames that are going to stick are as follows: "His Excellence, Mike Mager", and "Tiger King" Eddie Gillis. ;) :mrgreen:

3. There is obviously big money to be had in dermatology, as our resident Dr. Pimple Popper, Sam Horton, managed to give us an inadvertent tour of his entire palatial estate in South Carolina during the course of the draft. The reason he hasn't left the house yet despite the relaxed quarantine measures in his state is due to the fact it's going to take him about two days just to get to the front door. :roll: :lol:

4. Scott Waggener is enjoying being at home in quarantine in Northern California spending time with his wife and three kids totaling a combined, whopping eight years of age which apparently is in no way putting a crimp in his sex life, nor working in his vineyard-sized garden in his backyard. But unfortunately the same cannot be said for Marc Winokur, whose only sex in quarantine has been when his wife and kids finally left the house to go to a drive-in movie at one point during the draft. Thankfully Winokur muted both the sound and the video during this portion of the Zoom conference. :lol:

5. Ken "Sack" Magner, now in retirement from the police force after about 50 years of loyal service to the community, is unfortunately suffering from decreased mental faculties given his draft. At one point he contacted the admin for help on a placeholder in round three as he was attempting to add Seattle Slew at UT. :shock: :lol:

6. Jim "Lunatic" Christie, also not aging gracefully, actually finally figured out the technology of how work the video conference, but only after we were treated to a low angle shot of his ball sack for about the first 10 ten minutes. From there, we would rouse him to make picks and occasionally hear from him between naps which he took while logged in to the call. :P :roll: :lol:

7. Eric Gailing must live in a shoe, because apparently he has so many kids, he didn't know what to do...that is until his wife summoned him for help with them and that's the last we ever saw or heard from him for the remainder of the draft. :oops: :lol:

8. It was great meeting Steve Marshall for the first time, although he was taking the draft a little too seriously, showing up for the Zoom call with a ream of printed out cheat sheets he was working from throughout...that is until he had to leave for his toupee fitting. Who knew you could get that kind of in-home service during a pandemic? :? :lol:

9. And last but not least, my long-time good friend from the NFBC, Scott Fleming, is alive and well. Thankfully he survived what was probably the Coronavirus two months before it was announced in this country, only to then have to deal personally with Chinese nationals everyday up close and personal in his line of work in the armpit of NYC. Unfortunately, even with his new found antibodies, they have in no way made him immune to making shit draft picks nor the ceaseless quarantine honey do list imposed upon him by his wife. :P :lol:

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm

I'm glad I could hang out with you guys for awhile on Saturday. Great job by Mike setting this all up. I think we can definitely look into doing this type of thing more and more often going forward after life returns to normal. It's a great way for folks to hang out, talk smack and get in a great draft.

Thanks again to Mike and I hope everyone had fun :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm glad I could hang out with you guys for awhile on Saturday. Great job by Mike setting this all up. I think we can definitely look into doing this type of thing more and more often going forward after life returns to normal. It's a great way for folks to hang out, talk smack and get in a great draft.

Thanks Tom, and couldn't think of a better person to be your 20,000th post on these message boards! :shock: 8-)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks Tom, and couldn't think of a better person to be your 20,000th post on these message boards! :shock: 8-)
20,000 posts? Holy crap I post a lot.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich