The Countdown to 600

Money

The Countdown to 600

Post by Money » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 am

As the frustrations with this season pile up we now have a new countdown to follow and track. The countdown to 600 games played to constitute a complete season should they abandon the season prematurely.

So far we're at 92
Joe

mdecav

Re: The Countdown to 600

Post by mdecav » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 am

Given what is happening with St. Louis today I bet we don't even get to 200.

Sadly, this is a shitshow.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

Money wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 am
As the frustrations with this season pile up we now have a new countdown to follow and track. The countdown to 600 games played to constitute a complete season should they abandon the season prematurely.

So far we're at 92

Joe - I would say there is a better chance of Greg cancelling the NFBC season than MLB cancelling their season. MLB will get to October one way or another. Fantasy owners obviously be damned!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm

I see lots of quitters and other weak-willed people on social media. And some in real life.

They can't wait to quit, or close, or cancel anything, at the first sign of struggle. "It's too hard, just shut it down" - they seem to be rooting for as much. Including lots of sportswriters.

Those people have lived in a fake bubble of privilege for too long. Maybe their parents over-protected them, or they've never had adversity, or just never learned to deal with it. Whatever it is, I'm tired of reading their advice. If you want to quit just go ahead and quit, but stop wishing or encouraging everyone else to quit too. Resilience will win in the end.

If the World Series finishes with all utility players and quad-4 guys on the field I am giving that team an asterisk in the history books --- for most deserving WS winner in history. Same goes for this year's ME winner. Suck it up and play on.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm
I see lots of quitters and other weak-willed people on social media. And some in real life.

They can't wait to quit, or close, or cancel anything, at the first sign of struggle. "It's too hard, just shut it down" - they seem to be rooting for as much. Including lots of sportswriters.

Those people have lived in a fake bubble of privilege for too long. Maybe their parents over-protected them, or they've never had adversity, or just never learned to deal with it. Whatever it is, I'm tired of reading their advice. If you want to quit just go ahead and quit, but stop wishing or encouraging everyone else to quit too. Resilience will win in the end.

If the World Series finishes with all utility players and quad-4 guys on the field I am giving that team an asterisk in the history books --- for most deserving WS winner in history. Same goes for this year's ME winner. Suck it up and play on.
Did you take my post to mean that I was quitting? I don't think you did but I did start it. I've never quit on a league in all my years and I doubt I'll start this year.
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Gekko wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am
Money wrote:

So far we're at 92

Joe - I would say there is a better chance of Greg cancelling the NFBC season than MLB cancelling their season. MLB will get to October one way or another. Fantasy owners obviously be damned!
Personally I'm fine playing it out with whatever MLB throws at us. If for no other reason than to have a game (NFBC) to come back to next season. MLB owners are a joke, we just have to live with it this season.
Joe

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm

Money wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 pm
KJ Duke wrote:

Did you take my post to mean that I was quitting? I don't think you did but I did start it. I've never quit on a league in all my years and I doubt I'll start this year.
no

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm

I don't disagree with you KJ. And you must be reading Keith Olbermann, Joe Sheehan and many others right now!! :lol:

I will say, the games that are being played are fun to watch again. I know Starting Pitchers aren't going as deep into games now and relief pitchers are getting half the wins, but watching guys like Shane Bieber dominate a potent Twins' lineup last night and seeing 8 games at once on MLB Extra Innings is cool again. I'd hate to see baseball disappear again, but teams and players have to be smarter every single day for three straight months to make the season finish as planned. One person can ruin this for everyone.

But I also agree with Gekko, that MLB is determined to push this season to the finish line, with or without all 30 teams. Not sure that's good or bad, and maybe everyone will hit 60 games with multiple days of doubleheaders, but they sure look like they are willing to push forward at all costs.

I wish they'd play 5 game series in one city before travelling to the next one. Hell, let the teams alternate as home or away if needed to stay in one spot for as long as possible and eliminate as much travel as possible. MLB can't create the same bubble as the NBA is using now in Orlando, but they can eliminate some of this unnecessary travel due to home-and-home 2-game series. That schedule is just crazy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm
I don't disagree with you KJ. And you must be reading Keith Olbermann, Joe Sheehan and many others right now!! :lol:
Yeah. The whiner's circle!

The games are fun, each game means more and bad teams are playing better in many cases because they know they have a one-time chance to out-play more talented teams. I've been wanting shorter MLB seasons for a long time, and this confirms it. Less is more.

Rooting for a Tigers-Padres WS. :mrgreen:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:01 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:44 pm
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm
Yeah. The whiner's circle!

The games are fun, each game means more and bad teams are playing better in many cases because they know they have a one-time chance to out-play more talented teams. I've been wanting shorter MLB seasons for a long time, and this confirms it. Less is more.

Rooting for a Tigers-Padres WS. :mrgreen:
Tell the Padres to keep those uni's. I love those and the kelly green A's jerseys. That would be the most colorful World Series!! :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, KJ.

Every recent drafter knew the circumstances and possible flurry of postponements.
Playing baseball with a pandemic is going to have a lot of hurdles.
For some fans and even NFBC drafters, every hurdle seems to be an excuse to 'shut it down'.
I'm just happy that baseball is on again.
It's amusing that the owners are on our side now.
They have to push through this regular season in order to get to their Golden Goose, the playoffs.
We'll get there.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi KJ - You must be just making a general observation about "quitters" as I don't see anyone quitting here. What I do see is a total MLB shit show. Greg's game is still fantastic and the best on the planet; however COVID and MLBs handling of it is turning this all into one big dart throw or a push of a button on a slot machine.

When I was considering playing this shortened season, I NEVER thought a whole team would be shut down with numerous games being "postponed" AND the league just keeps chugging along. IF it's bad enough that 18/30 players on a team test positive, I would have thought MLB would have shut down the season. So much for player safety being #1 priority. :roll:

In any event, u are entitled to your opinion; however for league and overall winners this year (even if it includes me), I am giving them an asterisk in the history books --- for luckiest winners in NFBC history.

Big League Wood

Post by Big League Wood » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:43 pm

There will be luck, however, whoever wins this have to hustle lineups and be on top of all the news. Different set of challenges.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Gekko wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm
Hi KJ - You must be just making a general observation about "quitters" as I don't see anyone quitting here. What I do see is a total MLB shit show. Greg's game is still fantastic and the best on the planet; however COVID and MLBs handling of it is turning this all into one big dart throw or a push of a button on a slot machine.

When I was considering playing this shortened season, I NEVER thought a whole team would be shut down with numerous games being "postponed" AND the league just keeps chugging along. IF it's bad enough that 18/30 players on a team test positive, I would have thought MLB would have shut down the season. So much for player safety being #1 priority. :roll:

In any event, u are entitled to your opinion; however for league and overall winners this year (even if it includes me), I am giving them an asterisk in the history books --- for luckiest winners in NFBC history.
Yes, it is mostly addressing the army of complainers on twitter and in the media.

I could definitely do without the cancellations, schedule adjustments, over-testing and reliance on tests that have a known false positive rate of somewhere between 2% and double-digits. With the # of tests being run it is statistically impossible to not have false positives almost every day.

Likewise, I thought the schedule would be played with available players. Even the Marlins with 18 positives, I suspect could field a team of real major leaguers.

I think what we are seeing in MLB reflects society at large which is that leadership is going overboard on things that don't matter - whether for show or for lack of understanding actual transmission risk factors - and then one rogue idiot can do massive damage to league security by doing something that actually does matter for transmission risk.

As for this season's winners if you're not a grinder you're not gonna win it; if you don't understand the teams/players beyond the starting lineups and if you can't adjust and manage well ... same. So I believe this season will be earned.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:01 pm

Big League Wood wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:43 pm
There will be luck, however, whoever wins this have to hustle lineups and be on top of all the news. Different set of challenges.
for sure, winners always need to hustle.

however...All marlin players were deemed DOA FOR A WEEK after faab ran. players from multiple other teams are DOA for half the week. SP matchups we are trying to project are shattered. whole lot of zeros for some fantasy owners to absorb. in a shortened season, no accumulating stats are very significant. good luck hustling that.

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm

KJ Duke wrote:

amen.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 am

mdecav wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 am
Given what is happening with St. Louis today I bet we don't even get to 200.

Sadly, this is a shitshow.
This is the end
My only friend
The End

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:38 am

But why are the Yankees v. Phillies cancelled ? Just ridiculous.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:54 am

Yankees2009 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:38 am
But why are the Yankees v. Phillies cancelled ? Just ridiculous.
It’s on (for now); questionable reporting.

Things change by the hour this season.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Next up: 5-inning triple headers

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 pm

King of Queens wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm
Next up: 5-inning triple headers
“Every recent drafter knew the circumstances and possible flurry of postponements“ :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Money wrote:

So far we're at 92
Joe - Will you be updating the countdown clock? I could either look at that or one of my main event rosters taking ZEROS in 5 active spots due to current covid postponements

Money

Post by Money » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Gekko wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:45 pm
Money wrote:

So far we're at 92
Joe - Will you be updating the countdown clock? I could either look at that or one of my main event rosters taking ZEROS in 5 active spots due to current covid postponements
How about once a week Mark? I only played 3 teams this season as a show of support for the NFBC. I'm a glass half full kind of guy so I had mentally prepared myself for the worst / inevitable. This is crazy though. We've only just begun so I imagine there is more of this ahead of us. Manfred and MLB have mangled everything every step of the way. The integrity of the game is out the window. Is this MLB anymore? This is the year to play DFS!
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:53 am

33 games were postponed this week alone and we're still not done with today. That's on MLB, the MLBPA and Rob Manfred for the setup they have today. At the same time, the NBA and NHL and MLS and other leagues are cruising along with little to no issues.

Now I get it, baseball is different. With more people involved. They couldn't possibly have created a bubble, people say.

But the incredibly stupid travel schedule falls on MLB and Manfred. Who cares where they play? Stop traveling from city to city. Stop all players from sitting together in the dugout. Mandate masks if that helps. Have a compliance officer travel with each team if needed and keep track of EVERYONE. This is two months that rules need to be followed or the whole thing crashes down. It's on Manfred and the owners, just as much as it's on the players and Manfred's threat against the players yesterday was totally ridiculous, as if he'd take a toy away with one more temper tantrum.

33 games were postponed this week alone. THIRTY-THREE.

Yes, I get why our players and MLB fans and MLB writers are upset. That's insane for the first week of action. Yet other leagues are making a two-month season happen in a bubble. Lord only knows what the NFL is thinking right now.

I understand the frustration from our players, but let's see what MLB comes up with for a plan to make those games up. Yes, it's not the same with all of these doubleheaders because pitching rotations are changed, certain players won't play back-to-back games, relievers can't appear in all of these games lopped together. But let's see how baseball handles this and hopefully there's a path to 60 games per team.

Or you can cheer for the cancellation of the season. There's always that possibility.

It's great to see the games that are being played. It's baseball again. But we need all teams playing when scheduled. We're all at the mercy of MLB to pull this off and so far they haven't. This week will go a long way toward playing this season out or shutting it down. And the same goes for the NFBC.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:40 am

I'm not going to take a side in the debate yet as to how lucky this year's ME winner will be. It's too hard to predict at this time.

There is no doubt that some ME teams have dodged more bullets this week and taken less 0s or possibly even no 0s in their lineups this week. I know that I cringe to look at the standings this week as I have taken some 0s it hitting and lost Lorenzo Cain. (full disclosure, I'm also a Hansel Robles owner. Demoralizing to think about what's he's done to teams' era this week).

While we all knew the risks when we drafted this summer, I don't think anyone anticipated a week like this. The frustrating part for me is that I just naively thought the players would be more compliant on the field. I've said this a million times since opening weekend... why isn't every single player wearing a mask on the field? Why are players still spitting? Why isn't every single player wearing a mask in the dugout? Why are 5 guys elbowing each other after a HR? Why isn't every single player wearing a mask in the clubhouse?

Maybe the best thing about this week is that it's been an eye-opening week for the players. You (the players) know what you have to do if you want to keep playing baseball this summer. You're either all-in or all-out but none of this in-between. I hope everyone is all-in from this point until the end of the season. If so, then mlb has just overcome their toughest week of the season.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN