Mike Massotto Wins NY Super League Title & $20,000

Greg Ambrosius

Mike Massotto Wins NY Super League Title & $20,000

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:30 am

We had only one high-stakes private league during the Covid Year of 2020 and that one took place live in New York City. Although it's usually an Ultimate League, we pushed forward with the NFBC New York MTM Super Invitational with most of the owners drafting live in New York City and the other owners on a Zoom call. Oh, and it was held in late July due to the revamped 60-game season.

But when all was said and done, Mike Massotto won the $20,000 league prize in dominating fashion as he finished with 119.5 points. Joe Thelen finished second to win $7,500 and Jody Ryan finished third to win $5,000. Congrats to all and especially to Mike, who doggedly kept this league alive and worked hard to make the live event special this year.

Look for this contest to return to an Ultimate League in New York City this March and for MTM to be chirping that he's the defending champion all the way through the off-season!! :lol: Thanks all and congrats again to the winners.

Here's the final standings:

NFBC New York MTM Super Invitational League Final Standings:
1 Mike Massotto Baseball Furies 119.5
2 Joe Thelen Showtime MtM 106
3 Jody Ryan Ryan Indians 105
4 Jason Duponte Cue the Duckboats MTM Super 93
5 Craig Gebhard Incline Phase 85
6 Samuel Horton SRWH - MTM SUPER 84.5
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Mike Massotto Wins NY Super League Title & $20,000

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 am

The only other private "high stakes" league that we had in 2020 was the NFBC 12-Team Mini-Super League at $1,250 per team. Jeff Zimmerman dominated that competition as he won the $9,000 league prize with 103 points. John Pausma finished second to earn $3,000 and Christopher Hahn finished third to earn $1,000. Congrats to all of the winners.

This contest will return to its $2,500 price point in 2020 and an $18,000 league prize.

Here's the final standings for this one:

NFBC 12-Team Mini-Super League Final Standings:
1 Jeffrey Zimmerman Zimmerman 103.5
2 John Pausma JP 87
3 Christopher Hahn Ecclesiastes 1 78
4 Toby Guevin BatFlip Crazy Mini-Super 74.5
5 Joe Berg Money 66
6 Daniel Bronski Kling 60.5
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am

Congrats Mike!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 am

Way to go, Mike.
That money may help you recoup all the dollars that you put into this league!
You've been one of the most improved players over the past few years and now one of the top players the NFBC has to offer.
Congratulations.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am
Congrats Mike!
Thanks, bud! Appreciate it. :D
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 am
Way to go, Mike.
That money may help you recoup all the dollars that you put into this league!
You've been one of the most improved players over the past few years and now one of the top players the NFBC has to offer.
Congratulations.
Thanks Doughy! Couldn't have done it with out you. Looking back on my early years in the NFBC, it was you who led the brave charge in constantly reminding me just how shitty I was drafting in virtually every DC we were in together. :lol: Guess it all finally sunk in. ;)

Again, big props to all the competitors in this league. Some of the best competition and best people you will ever meet. All of your donations were greatly appreciated, and will be put to good use. :mrgreen: Translation: I have already signed the check over to the wife and the money has already been spent. :lol: Reparations for nine months of "You're drafting AGAIN?!"

Special honorable mentions to both "The Senile Savant", Joe Thelen, who's either winning this thing or in the money virtually every year, and "The Prince of New England" himself, Jody Ryan, who acquitted himself with aplomb in his very first go-round in this league and almost took down the title. Just don't ask him for directions when visiting Manhattan. :roll: :P :lol:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:07 am

Mike should (and probably will) have the last word, but I could not resist adding my congratulations. I am sure it was hard fought but if anyone of us deserved a win like this, it would be you.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:08 am

Is anyone other than me dreading the fact we now have to block off 45 minutes before the next year's MTM Invitational draft to listen to him ramble as he pats himself on the back? :lol:

In all seriousness, congrats Mikey. You had a helluva year and accolades are well-deserved

Rotties

Post by Rotties » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Congrats Mike well done!!

Texas Connection

Post by Texas Connection » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Way to go Mikey. Congratulations. Love your passion for the game and especially that league.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:10 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:07 am
Mike should (and probably will) have the last word, but I could not resist adding my congratulations. I am sure it was hard fought but if anyone of us deserved a win like this, it would be you.
Thanks Wayne. I actually can't argue with a word of this. Much appreciated and yes, definitely some karmic payback for the blood, sweat, and (extra) tears invested into this league this season in particular. :D

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:12 am

Ultrarunner wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:08 am
Is anyone other than me dreading the fact we now have to block off 45 minutes before the next year's MTM Invitational draft to listen to him ramble as he pats himself on the back? :lol:

In all seriousness, congrats Mikey. You had a helluva year and accolades are well-deserved

Ah, you know me all too well, Dan-O! But I will endeavor to keep it 30 minutes or less come March, but will be milking the shit out this victory insufferably until then. :lol: :lol: :lol: Appreciate it, bro! 8-)

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:14 am

Rotties wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 pm
Congrats Mike well done!!

Thanks Ante! Much appreciated. Missed taking your money this year. :mrgreen: Need to get you back on the list for 2021! 8-)

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:19 am

Texas Connection wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm
Way to go Mikey. Congratulations. Love your passion for the game and especially that league.
Thanks Jonny! Truly a labor of love, but always a blast and enjoy doing it. Great to be able to draft with you in the Main in NY albeit on-line. Hope to see you out in Vegas come March, my brother. 8-)

craiggebz

Post by craiggebz » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Congrats Mike!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:55 am

craiggebz wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:21 pm
Congrats Mike!

Thanks, Craig! Appreciate it and great having you join us for the first time out this year, and live to boot. Unfortunately, you would have had to finish Top 3 in the league to guarantee you a spot next year, so back in line you go! :P :lol: ;)