Post by mdecav » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Opening Day pushed?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:54 pm

mdecav wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:06 pm
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 902575001/

Does this affect Live Events?
Of course it would, but this is not unexpected at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if March Madness becomes May Madness this year. MLB and NCAA might both be better off with later starts and healthier players in May.

We have already had discussions with all three hotel venues and they will be flexible with our space. There aren't a whole lot of conventions securing space in March or April and we will not hold live events before two weeks before whenever Opening Day is. We will move our draft dates if we have to and will do it the same way, the weekend before in Las Vegas and the previous weekend before in New York and Chicago.

A 140-game season isn't ideal, but having fans in the stands, a fair spring training and healthy players with no interruptions to the season due to Covid would be ideal. I'm sure we'll read more about this in the near future, but I consider this a good plan, not a bad one for MLB and all of the fantasy baseball community.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks Greg for the update.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:01 am

The MLBPA is having none of this of course, and they are saying full speed ahead with a 162 game season starting on time as planned.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:01 am
The MLBPA is having none of this of course, and they are saying full speed ahead with a 162 game season starting on time as planned.
And they should say that. They took huge pay cuts to play a 60-game season last year and the owners should find a way to compensate the players if they reduce the season to 140 games or less. Unfortunately, it's not safe to start spring training on time and the season likely could be played in full from some point in May until November. Plus, the owners really care about profits more than safety anyway.

But of course these two sides couldn't agree on the color of the sky right now and with the CBA ending after the 2021 season this is just another chip to bargain over. Heck, the owners haven't even said yet if the National League will use the DH and free agency has already started. Why haven't they resolved that so that teams can plan their budgets around that position? It would be like us changing the rules of our roster sizes after drafts have started already. Stupid.

I think something will be decided by early January so that teams can plan accordingly and so cities can plan accordingly. We'll adjust if needed or plan accordingly if nothing changes. But I have a feeling this will be another public, ugly fight between the two sides before the really ugly fight begins next off-season. Buckle up folks. It could be a long ride again. :shock:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am
Baseball Furies wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:01 am
And they should say that. They took huge pay cuts to play a 60-game season last year and the owners should find a way to compensate the players if they reduce the season to 140 games or less. Unfortunately, it's not safe to start spring training on time and the season likely could be played in full from some point in May until November. Plus, the owners really care about profits more than safety anyway.

But of course these two sides couldn't agree on the color of the sky right now and with the CBA ending after the 2021 season this is just another chip to bargain over. Heck, the owners haven't even said yet if the National League will use the DH and free agency has already started. Why haven't they resolved that so that teams can plan their budgets around that position? It would be like us changing the rules of our roster sizes after drafts have started already. Stupid.

I think something will be decided by early January so that teams can plan accordingly and so cities can plan accordingly. We'll adjust if needed or plan accordingly if nothing changes. But I have a feeling this will be another public, ugly fight between the two sides before the really ugly fight begins next off-season. Buckle up folks. It could be a long ride again. :shock:
The good news is that the owners have somewhat committed to 140 games publicly now, last time the starting point was 50 games.

It would make sense to play 140 games starting early May but with the split revenue from expanded playoffs, players would end up earning the equivalent of 145-150 games.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:16 pm

The Athletic's Evan Drellich wrote yesterday that he thinks the 2021 MLB season will start on time. We'll see if that's the case, but so far the owners appear ready to start spring training on time:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/ ... eason.html

Now it would be good if the owners could decide whether the National League will be using the DH or not. That's kind of a big decision and should be decided soon, don't you think?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:00 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:16 pm
The Athletic's Evan Drellich wrote yesterday that he thinks the 2021 MLB season will start on time. We'll see if that's the case, but so far the owners appear ready to start spring training on time:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/ ... eason.html

Now it would be good if the owners could decide whether the National League will be using the DH or not. That's kind of a big decision and should be decided soon, don't you think?
The problem is if the season starts on time, the owners lose a ton of leverage in their effort to expand playoff since the reason is framed as making up lost revenue. The expanded playoff will likely be part of a "trade" where the players get the universal DH. This will be on the table, either soon or after the current CBA expires. I suppose the owners could always push for expanded playoffs this season to make up some of last season's lost revenue, we should know soon enough.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
I know that not knowing if the National League has a DH rule or not is infuriating for both fantasy owners and players like Marcell Ozuna.
But like the NFBC practicing patience in waiting for decisions from Major League Baseball, MLB has to practice that same patience.
There's not much to be gained in making a decision now, only to overturn it with more knowledge later.
It's not just the DH in the National League.
We don't know other rules as well....
How many playoff teams...
Double Header length...
Runner on 2nd for the 10th inning...
Will those be kept?

I know the owners are a Greedy Gus.
Right here in Colorado, Dick Monfort, the owner of the Rockies is crying poverty.
He is putting Nolan Arenado's big contract up for trade and willing to listen to offers on Trevor Story instead of paying the man.
It's as if Monfort has an overdrawn check book!
Yet, while all this talk about poverty permeates the Rockies system, Monfort is erecting an office building, huge condos, and a multi-purpose facility across the street from Coors Field.
That check book is wide open for other interests. Closed for the Rockies.

The greed of these owners knows no bounds and Rob Manfred has become a spokesman for this group rather than doing what is best for baseball.
That said, I agree with Manfred in playing the waiting game.
I would do the same in waiting in declaring the rules for the 2021 season until there is more clarity in the number of games , the Union, and the covid crises.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 am

There's not much to be gained in making a decision now, only to overturn it with more knowledge later.
Double Header length...
Will those be kept?
Yup. Unfortunately, I don’t see how it makes since for me to draft right now with so many questions still on the table. Season could begin on time. Season could begin a month+ late, along with the many rule changes you mentioned.

Not making any travel plans either until much closer to whenever the start of the season is supposed to be.

This Sucks for fantasy owners and providers.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:32 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
I know that not knowing if the National League has a DH rule or not is infuriating for both fantasy owners and players like Marcell Ozuna.
But like the NFBC practicing patience in waiting for decisions from Major League Baseball, MLB has to practice that same patience.
Double Header length...
Will those be kept?

I know the owners are a Greedy Gus.
Right here in Colorado, Dick Monfort, the owner of the Rockies is crying poverty.
He is putting Nolan Arenado's big contract up for trade and willing to listen to offers on Trevor Story instead of paying the man.
It's as if Monfort has an overdrawn check book!
Yet, while all this talk about poverty permeates the Rockies system, Monfort is erecting an office building, huge condos, and a multi-purpose facility across the street from Coors Field.
That check book is wide open for other interests. Closed for the Rockies.

The greed of these owners knows no bounds and Rob Manfred has become a spokesman for this group rather than doing what is best for baseball.
That said, I agree with Manfred in playing the waiting game.
I would do the same in waiting in declaring the rules for the 2021 season until there is more clarity in the number of games , the Union, and the covid crises.
I totally agree with you Dan. Ricketts in Chicago is crying poverty too along with other owners. They may have lost a few million dollars last year, but when the Mets sell for a record price they should know that every year that passes their franchise values go up. So stupid for them to cry poverty now.

I believe not releasing news on the DH, number of playoff teams, doubleheaders, etc., is more of a negotiating chip than anything else. If the owners do want to start a little later this season, adding more roster spots and playoff teams is their biggest bargaining chips for 2021. After this season, then the new CBA negotiations begin and this could get very ugly quickly.

I know that nobody here wants to compare baseball to football, but it's just mind boggling how MLB operates in comparison to the NFL. The NFL dealt with the same issues that MLB did during the pandemic and yet they just soldiered on. The first day of free agency in March stole all the headlines just before baseball was scheduled to start. NFL led every sports cast and did so through the NFL Draft in April. Even during the pandemic, the NFL Draft soldiered through and kept fans' interest at a high level. The NFL is never idle and yet we've seen or heard very little from Major League Baseball since the Dodgers' World Series celebration in Texas. The Hot Stove League has gone stone cold.

Baseball may let the NFL have the entire month of January to itself and into early February, but that doesn't make any sense. Where are the free agent signings, the trades, the prospect sightings? What's the schedule? When does spring training even start? If we're really starting the season on time, then LET'S GET WITH IT!!! It's extremely boring right now in baseball.

I'm all for a 162-game regular season that starts on April 1st, but we need some clarity soon on how MLB is going to do that and still have spring training in empty stadiums. Give us some news Rob Manfred, give us some news!!! PLEEEEEEEASE!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Gekko wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

Double Header length...
Will those be kept?
Yup. Unfortunately, I don’t see how it makes since for me to draft right now with so many questions still on the table. Season could begin on time. Season could begin a month+ late, along with the many rule changes you mentioned.

Not making any travel plans either until much closer to whenever the start of the season is supposed to be.

I don't disagree with you Mark, but thankfully there are plenty of folks who love to draft and want to learn the player pool early in the drafting season. It's hard to believe, but our DCs are already ahead of last year's record pace. But yes, Main Event, OC and live event signups are lagging as everyone needs to know the schedule before locking down draft dates, travel plans and hotel reservations. It's frustrating, but I'm confident that when all is said and done the NFBC will be back to pre-2020 levels.

And yet this off-season could feel like a stroll in the park compared to next off-season when the two sides will be fighting over billions and billions of dollars. Only MLB owners could make America's Game so frustrating. Hang in there folks and hopefully we'll have some concrete answers soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:38 pm

For Mr Emma and I, a big part of going to live events includes going out to enjoy the city (NYC and LV). IF these cities have mandatory mask mandates and bars are basically closed, that’s likely a deal breaker for me going to LV and my NYC trip will be a very quick trip.

Again, this sucks. My favorite time of the year (when not with family) are THESE LIVE EVENT WEEKENDS.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:53 am

Gekko wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

Double Header length...
Will those be kept?

You know what really sucks for fantasy owners and providers? All your bitching and whining! Same shit as last year with your doom and gloom and the Buzz Killjoy, Negative Nelly, "woe is me" posts. So don't draft or stay home like you did last year. No one is stopping you, and no one is forcing you to draft now since God forbid you have so many unknowns going into the season that you may lose your "edge". Guess what? The great ones play hurt and they don't make excuses. Ask the 20 or so of us that made it into NYC this past summer to draft live for the only two live events the NFBC had if any of us had a bad time because we couldn't go out and get drunk at a pub there the night before or eat at a restaurant. We couldn't even find a fucking Starbucks that was open without walking a couple miles in the sweltering heat. But you know what? We all masked up, kept our distance, and had the time of our lives still not even knowing at that point if the season would be played to an official number of games without a single regret. You're an NFBC HOFer. Act like one once in a while. :roll:

P.S. Sorry, last I checked, you can't block me on here.

Now for those of you still on the fence or worried, I can assure you that there will again be a season, it may not be perfect, but it will be the time of your life coming out to the live events in both NYC and Vegas. And well worth the investment to draft as early and as often as you can. Best prep there is and we're all in this together on the same level playing field. Hope to see as many of you as possible in March! 8-)

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am

Well said Mike. We all know there will be a season. Might start a bit late, but it will happen. And there have been a really high number of drafts already done, so guys are anxious. We are indeed all in this together, but that is a good thing. And if they try to stop me at the Canada- US border, I'll just call you Mike, and you will insist they let me in. Baseball is close, the NFBC is in full speed ahead mode, and guys are happy. Well....most guys are. Rock & Roll guys.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:21 am

Thurman15 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am
Well said Mike. We all know there will be a season. Might start a bit late, but it will happen. And there have been a really high number of drafts already done, so guys are anxious. We are indeed all in this together, but that is a good thing. And if they try to stop me at the Canada- US border, I'll just call you Mike, and you will insist they let me in. Baseball is close, the NFBC is in full speed ahead mode, and guys are happy. Well....most guys are. Rock & Roll guys.
Fucking-A, my brother! I'll see you at the border if need be. :lol:

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Some promising news...

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told teams Monday to expect spring training to begin on time in February and for a 162-game regular season to occur, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 am

Gekko wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 pm
Some promising news...

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told teams Monday to expect spring training to begin on time in February and for a 162-game regular season to occur, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

See, I knew you could do it! So the sky isn't falling after all is it, Chicken Little? :P Nothing like the power of positive thought. We can all sign up for drafts now and attend live events as there will be a full 162 game season and it will be worth it to draft since Gekko is okay with it. I'm so excited I might just have to take an extra Main Event team myself! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 am

It looks like MLB not only is planning for fans this regular season, but at spring training games as well. Interesting:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 636390002/
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius