Slow Draft Suggestions

Philippe27

Slow Draft Suggestions

Post by Philippe27 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:07 pm

I don't know if I'm the only one on the East Coast who find this annoying but I don't understand the clock pausing only at 2 AM ET, I think Midnight ET would make a lot more sense.

This basically prevents me from doing any 2 hour drafts because I have to stay up until Midnight ET or set a very long queue before I go to sleep.

My other suggestion would be that if you manually put yourself on Auto, you should be taken off auto if your queue runs out. A lot of times there's say 5 guys I like and I have to leave for a few hours but I'm 7-10 picks away. There's a 95%+ chance that one of my guys will be available so I'd put myself on auto to speed up the draft but right now I can't do that because I don't want to risk ending up with the top ADP guy if my queue runs out.

Phil

Doctor Who

Re: Slow Draft Suggestions

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:15 am

Phil,

I like the idea you have for the Auto, but I believe you can set your que for the round and if nobody is in that que at your pick, I don't believe it picks anyone, but I could be wrong. If that isn't the case, it should be.

Sometimes the 4 hour drafts will have to work with your schedule, and why there is so many offerings on it (4, 2, 1, and 30 mins), because all of us live in different time zones with different things going on. I for one can only do 4 hours because I sleep during the day and have to set a que up to auto one round to be able to do any of these slow drafts.

All you can do is communicate with everyone in the chat. I have never had trouble letting the other players know what time I expect to be awake and setting myself on auto for one round. So while you may want that clock to stop at 12 EST, it would mean stopping during a prime time on the West Coast. 2 AM EST is a solid compromise and why they settled on that.

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:04 am

That's good to know for the queue by round. Maybe someone else can confirm?

As for the 2 AM I do get the west coast thing but pausing the clock doesn't stop them from drafting. I assumed I wasn't the only one because most drafts i've seen, the pace really slows down after Midnight ET so it seemed like that would make more sense.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:18 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:04 am

As for the 2 AM I do get the west coast thing but pausing the clock doesn't stop them from drafting. I assumed I wasn't the only one because most drafts i've seen, the pace really slows down after Midnight ET so it seemed like that would make more sense.
Yes. Click on the “Queue” tab in the draft room and then pull down the tab that says “All Rounds” to get to individual round queues. So, for instance, you can fill a queue for Round 19 with all outfielders and a separate queue for Round 20 with all starting pitchers. Go Auto Two and go to sleep, and you’ll wake up with your highest-rated, available OF in Round 19 and your highest-rated, available SP in Round 20. It’s a great feature, especially for folks drafting at or near a turn.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:21 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:18 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:04 am

Yes. Click on the “Queue” tab in the draft room and then pull down the tab that says “All Rounds” to get to individual round queues. So, for instance, you can fill a queue for Round 19 with all outfielders and a separate queue for Round 20 with all starting pitchers. Go Auto Two and go to sleep, and you’ll wake up with your highest-rated, available OF in Round 19 and your highest-rated, available SP in Round 20. It’s a great feature, especially for folks drafting at or near a turn.

Mike
That part I understand but what happens if I'm on Auto for 2 rounds and all the OF in my queue for round 20 get drafted?

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:05 am

Pretty sure that if you are on Auto and your queue is empty, you will draft the top guy in the default list. It’s never happened to me, but that’s my understanding.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:22 am

Actually, just to clarify, I’m pretty sure that if you Auto draft for Round 20, it will work as follows: (a) it will draft the top player in your Round 20 queue; (b) if none left, it will draft the top player in your general, “All Rounds” queue; and (c) if none left, it will draft the top player in the default list. My understanding is that the Auto function does not turn itself off if your queues are empty.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:25 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:05 am
Pretty sure that if you are on Auto and your queue is empty, you will draft the top guy in the default list. It’s never happened to me, but that’s my understanding.
Yeah that's the part that doesn't make any sense. Anyone who's nice enough to put themselves on auto to speed up the draft for everyone else shouldn't risk getting penalized with a player from the default list (usually an injured player)

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:13 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:25 am
Bronx Yankees wrote:
Yeah that's the part that doesn't make any sense. Anyone who's nice enough to put themselves on auto to speed up the draft for everyone else shouldn't risk getting penalized with a player from the default list (usually an injured player)
I like the timing as is.
For the majority, I believe it works great.

When using Auto for me, default is never in play. If going on Auto five picks before my turn, I make sure there are at least 5 players in my Queue.
Seven players away, seven in my Queue, etc.
No default. No penalty.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:17 am

If a few picks away and really don't want to go on Auto because of roster construction, but knowing I'll be away from the draft room, I leave a note in chat explaining I will not be going on Auto but will be back at whatever o'clock to make my pick.
Everybody understands.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:13 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:25 am
Bronx Yankees wrote:
I like the timing as is.
For the majority, I believe it works great.

When using Auto for me, default is never in play. If going on Auto five picks before my turn, I make sure there are at least 5 players in my Queue.
Seven players away, seven in my Queue, etc.
No default. No penalty.
I understand that's the way around it. I just think it's dumb because there isn't anyone here who would put themselves on auto and be ok with a player from the draft list. There is zero advantage to the way it is now.

I was doing drafts on myfantasyleague 12 years ago and they had it properly. If you put yourself on auto and your queue runs out, no pick is made and you're on the clock. It really speeds up drafts!

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:30 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:17 am
If a few picks away and really don't want to go on Auto because of roster construction, but knowing I'll be away from the draft room, I leave a note in chat explaining I will not be going on Auto but will be back at whatever o'clock to make my pick.
Everybody understands.
That's exactly my point. If you're 5 picks away and there's 2 guys you like well above the rest, you could put them on your queue and go on auto. If you don't get either of those guys then you're on the clock and you make your pick when you get back.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:42 am

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:30 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Everybody understands.
That's exactly my point. If you're 5 picks away and there's 2 guys you like well above the rest, you could put them on your queue and go on auto. If you don't get either of those guys then you're on the clock and you make your pick when you get back.
Make sure there are five guys you like. If two drafters take your two guys, it's the same whether on Auto or not, correct?
You still have to pick somebody other than those two.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:59 am

Here is what I don't like about your Auto idea...

Let's say it's 11 PM. Your bedtime.
You are two picks away. The fella on the clock is probably timing out. He has 20 mins left on the clock and counting down.
The next drafter is on Auto.
You stay up the extra 20 minutes to see who you draft.
The drafter two picks from you has indeed timed out, but the drafter on 'Auto' has no players in his Queue.
It says 'Auto', but it really isn't.
You've been robbed of sleep.
And 'Auto' no longer really means 'Auto' to other drafters.
On my tombstone-

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 pm

We sure don't want to try and slow the drafts down. The most common complaint, and I am in that camp, is the picks taking too long. Here is some food for thought. Which drafts are the most popular? By that I mean which drafts fill up immediately after being announced ? The MTM fast drafts by a mile. Those that don't like them should pick slower drafts. So faster drafts are very popular. We do not want to shorten the clock. And I believe the point Dough was trying to make is the computer is picking for you anyway. Other than 6 hours. So busy drafters should use auto. There is also the respect factor. If a drafter goes to sleep at 10 pm without using auto, that shows little respect to those that stay up late because.....well....they signed up for the draft.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:07 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:42 am
Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:30 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Everybody understands.
Make sure there are five guys you like. If two drafters take your two guys, it's the same whether on Auto or not, correct?
You still have to pick somebody other than those two.
Yeah but i'm not gonna spend 30 additional minutes thinking of every potential scenario when there's a 95% chance that one of my 2 guys will be there. Why would I spend the extra time myself when all i'm trying to do is speed up the draft for everyone else?

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:12 pm

Thurman15 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 pm
We sure don't want to try and slow the drafts down. The most common complaint, and I am in that camp, is the picks taking too long. Here is some food for thought. Which drafts are the most popular? By that I mean which drafts fill up immediately after being announced ? The MTM fast drafts by a mile. Those that don't like them should pick slower drafts. So faster drafts are very popular. We do not want to shorten the clock. And I believe the point Dough was trying to make is the computer is picking for you anyway. Other than 6 hours. So busy drafters should use auto. There is also the respect factor. If a drafter goes to sleep at 10 pm without using auto, that shows little respect to those that stay up late because.....well....they signed up for the draft.
So I should be at a disavantage because I go to sleep at 10 PM? I should spend time before I go to sleep setting a queue of 12 players (when I'm 12 picks away) and if there's a run I miss out on it? What about the west coast people who wake up at 10 AM ET is that a lack of respect if they don't go on auto before they go to sleep?

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:17 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:59 am

You are two picks away. The fella on the clock is probably timing out. He has 20 mins left on the clock and counting down.
The drafter two picks from you has indeed timed out, but the drafter on 'Auto' has no players in his Queue.
That's the best argument you could come up with?

Here's one, east cosat person goes to sleep at 10:30, there's 4 players they like but they're 6 picks away. They don't want to risk getting the injured Clevinger and they don't know who they want if their list runs out.

Instead of going on Auto, they leave it as is. At 11:30 they're on the clock but they're asleep. Their #2 player is still available but they can't make the pick. You waste 2.5 hours of draft time.

That's a much more compelling argument than someone losing 20 minutes of sleep because they're too curious.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:17 pm
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:59 am

That's the best argument you could come up with?

Here's one, east cosat person goes to sleep at 10:30, there's 4 players they like but they're 6 picks away. They don't want to risk getting the injured Clevinger and they don't know who they want if their list runs out.

Instead of going on Auto, they leave it as is. At 11:30 they're on the clock but they're asleep. Their #2 player is still available but they can't make the pick. You waste 2.5 hours of draft time.

That's a much more compelling argument than someone losing 20 minutes of sleep because they're too curious.
My point was that 'Auto' would be misleading to other drafters.
It would have no meaning.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I believe a vast majority like DC's as they are.
Sorry you don't feel that way...
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:26 pm

By the way, Clevinger and Cano have been pushed down to where they are not in default.
No injured or suspended players are there as of now...
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:28 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 pm
I believe a vast majority like DC's as they are.
Sorry you don't feel that way...
Then make it an auto in green when there's enough players in the queue and an auto in yellow when there isn't.

Everyone complains of slow drafters, every single year, this slight tweak which has been de used by other websites for 10+ years would make drafts faster.

That's all I'm saying but I guess I'll stop trying to make drafts faster for everyone else and worry about myself. I'll pick within 5 minutes during the day as always and then at night choose when it makes sense to go on Auto

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Well Philippe, you sound like a bitter guy. Dough and myself are making our points, and you answer with anger and sarcasm. Please don't lecture me on giving up your time. That is the way drafts work. I have no problem using auto, and no problem respecting there are different time zones. I average about 20 seconds per pick every draft. I always think of other guys. At any rate, NFBC drafts work well. I'm happy. Dough is happy. Most are happy. All good.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:50 pm

Thurman15 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:40 pm
Well Philippe, you sound like a bitter guy. Dough and myself are making our points, and you answer with anger and sarcasm. Please don't lecture me on giving up your time. That is the way drafts work. I have no problem using auto, and no problem respecting there are different time zones. I average about 20 seconds per pick every draft. I always think of other guys. At any rate, NFBC drafts work well. I'm happy. Dough is happy. Most are happy. All good.
I'm not bitter and i may have gotten carried away a little, I apologize for that but all I did was make a couple of suggestions, one of which has very little downside but would speed up drafts for everyone.

The response I get from you is that if I go to bed at 10 and don't put myself on Auto with a queue of 12 players, it's a lack of respect.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Thurman15 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 pm
There is also the respect factor. If a drafter goes to sleep at 10 pm without using auto, that shows little respect to those that stay up late because.....well....they signed up for the draft.
If a west coaster is going to bed at 2AM ET and won’t be up until noon ET, is it disrespectful for them not to set auto before heading to bed?