NL and AL Only Auction Leagues - Las Vegas

Philly High Hopes

NL and AL Only Auction Leagues - Las Vegas

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:37 pm

With fewer people able to travel to Vegas this year, the NL and AL only auction leagues have been slow to fill. Currently we are sitting at 6/12 in the NL and 4/12 in the AL. These are scheduled be held B2B on Friday, March 26 with the NL auction at 10 and the AL auction at 4.

I'm putting out an appeal to anyone that will be in Vegas that would be interested so that we can hopefully fill both of these leagues. These only auctions are my favorite format and always the highlight of my annual Vegas trip. We were unable to have these leagues last year and it would be a total bummer to not have them for a second year in a row.

If you're looking for a fun, challenging format that always has a home league feel, sign up and help us fill these leagues!

--- Dave

KJ Duke

Re: NL and AL Only Auction Leagues - Las Vegas

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Same here, Dave.

And I'll add for those who might not normally play in these leagues, you get deep into MLB rosters, much like a DC. With so many players doing 50-round DCs now, here's a chance to put that research into action in a way that you can't do in a 15-team mixed league.

These leagues really do deserve a broader audience. I think a lot of players that really haven't considered them would be hooked if they tried them out.

How about a few direct challenges to guys who I know aren't afraid of them ?

1) MASSOTTO - you tell me you've been doing research since October 2020 for 2021 and I'm way behind you. STEP UP!
2) JUPINKA - You're a F'in HOF'er and you used to play in our private only lges. STEP UP!
3) SEMSEL - A former ME champ who takes on challenges most people would never think of doing. STEP UP!

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:22 pm

I am curently an orphan without an auction family for that Friday (tentative for the Ultimate) & although I’m a Mixed League simpleton, I have been kicking around the idea of trying these auctions but am a bit leery because I’ve never done the format before but I am definitely intrigued & considering adding to my fantasy baseball portfolio.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:25 pm

COZ wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:22 pm
I am curently an orphan without an auction family for that Friday (tentative for the Ultimate) & although I’m a Mixed League simpleton, I have been kicking around the idea of trying these auctions but am a bit leery because I’ve never done the format before but I am definitely intrigued & considering adding to my fantasy baseball portfolio.
That sounds like a confirmation to me. Greg, put him on the NL list!
At least one guy has balls today. :D

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:37 pm

This list is looking better already!

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
Friday, March 26, 10 am PT
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. The Notorious F'in COZ

Next group of challenges:

1. Matt Shepherd. DC and alt-league extraordinaire. We need you!
2. Thomas Warner. Master of the obscure prospect, this depth is up your alley.
3. Shawn Childs. Joc Pederson plays in the NL, so why the hell are you just on the AL list?

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:47 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:25 pm
COZ wrote:
Two actually. Just like the Only Leagues I’m going to partake in. Put me in for the DH, coach.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pm

Nice, Coz! Welcome aboard!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:02 pm

COZ wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:47 pm
KJ Duke wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:25 pm
COZ wrote:
Two actually. Just like the Only Leagues I’m going to partake in. Put me in for the DH, coach.
Well done Coz!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:08 pm

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
8. Shawn Childs* (offering bidding proxy service for Canadians and other shut-ins)

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:11 pm

The AL camp says, "why don't the NL Players crossover?"

The single auction challenge....12 player do both leagues (combine with an a partner if needed), combined points for for the overall auction championship. Pay an extra $200 each for $2,500 bonus for the winner (Greg kicks in a $100 to make it work).

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:16 pm

CC's Desperados wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:11 pm
The AL camp says, "why don't the NL Players crossover?"

The single auction challenge....12 player do both leagues (combine with an a partner if needed), combined points for for the overall auction championship. Pay an extra $200 each for $2,500 bonus for the winner (Greg kicks in a $100 to make it work).
I'm not opposed.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:45 pm

I’m signed up for both and ready to go. Love the momentum. Let’s keep it going!

Shawn - I love your idea for the only leagues and a combined champion. But I don’t see how we could pull it off this year with how the signups have already come in. Would love to have you in NL though.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:47 am

Well done everyone sparking some life into these AL and NL auction leagues. NOW ONLY 4 SPOTS LEFT in the Las Vegas $1400 NL Auction League and SIX SPOTS LEFT in the AL Auction League.

There are several owners who replied to me yesterday who said they would be there if not for Covid and we know these leagues will fill in future years. A couple of those owners are in Canada and can't even get to Las Vegas to do this. And we don't have AL or NL online auction leagues that we could easily transfer over for everyone. It's live this year or we move onto mixed auction leagues.

We still have plenty of time to make this happen, so keep pushing boys. I like it.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am

I thought this was dead a couple days ago, but looking good now. :)

Dan will move over to the NL if needed while Childs offered to fill in for someone remotely if needed.

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Dan Semsel
10. Shawn Childs* (offering bidding proxy service for Canadians and other shut-ins)

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:43 am

I will jump over to the NL only from the 10:00 AM Friday mixed auction if you need me to fill it up

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:50 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am
I thought this was dead a couple days ago, but looking good now. :)

Dan will move over to the NL if needed while Childs offered to fill in for someone remotely if needed.

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Dan Semsel
10. Shawn Childs* (offering bidding proxy service for Canadians and other shut-ins)
Ken Magner is in the house for the NL Auction League. That's officially 9 teams then. Dan will move over to the NL and we have a replacement for his Mixed Auction League if this fills, so that would be 10. Dan is always so accomodating!! And I have one veteran who loves the competition but who can't go to Las Vegas that I could help with in the AL and the NL, so we're getting closer. Get busy KJ!!! We're almost there.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:51 pm

After reviewing the rules and not seeing it specifically addressed, and maybe this is obvious to the Only-League guys, but how are post-draft-inter-league trades handled? Is the player removed from the player pool & removed from your team?
COZ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:56 pm

COZ wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:51 pm
After reviewing the rules and not seeing it specifically addressed, and maybe this is obvious to the Only-League guys, but how are post-draft-inter-league trades handled? Is the player removed from the player pool & removed from your team?
Good question. Doesn't matter at all. You still get his stats if he goes from the Diamondbacks to the Yankees. You never lose those stats or the player.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:56 pm
COZ wrote:
Good question. Doesn't matter at all. You still get his stats if he goes from the Diamondbacks to the Yankees. You never lose those stats or the player.
Thank you. And what about a player traded into a league after the draft, is he added into the FA pool subject to FAAB acquisition or just removed from the contest. I guess a better way of saying it is, does the player pool remain the same throughout the contest (other than minor league call-ups) or do in-season trades or signings affect the available player pool?
COZ

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:18 pm

If a player is traded to a different league, he would be added to the FAAB pool. This leads to a big part of FAAB strategy in only leagues. Do you spend early in the season for the big callups or wait until the trade deadline for the big trades changing leagues?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:28 pm

COZ wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
COZ wrote:
Thank you. And what about a player traded into a league after the draft, is he added into the FA pool subject to FAAB acquisition or just removed from the contest. I guess a better way of saying it is, does the player pool remain the same throughout the contest (other than minor league call-ups) or do in-season trades or signings affect the available player pool?
Correct. He is added to the pool in your league. Gets wild!!

In LABR for the first decade, you lost that player completely when he was traded into the other league. Luck became as much a factor as skill in that kind of format. They were slow to change, but we've always had it this way where you don't lose stats or the player when he switches leagues and yet we still add that player to the new league. Skill wins out every time.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:28 pm
COZ wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Correct. He is added to the pool in your league. Gets wild!!

In LABR for the first decade, you lost that player completely when he was traded into the other league. Luck became as much a factor as skill in that kind of format. They were slow to change, but we've always had it this way where you don't lose stats or the player when he switches leagues and yet we still add that player to the new league. Skill wins out every time.
Yeah, that all makes sense, that's what I was hoping & expecting when I signed up, but losing a player because of a trade would have been a deal killer for me. Thanks for clarifying, I'm all in.
COZ

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Wow, getting close to having a league. Time to fire up that NL research.
We need at least one and we could use another one or two if possible.

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner
10. Dan Semsel* (available if needed)
11. Shawn Childs* (offering bidding proxy service for Canadians and other shut-ins)

Who's next to jump into the water ?

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:47 am

I'm still holding out hope that we can fill both of these auctions leagues. We had a nice push late last week so now let's close them out. Gekko, Glenn, Winkour, Mager ... you were all regulars in these draft for many years. Any interest this year? Shawn ... are you in the LABR and Tout auctions this year? If so, is there any chance of recruiting any of the industry guys to participate?

We are getting there. 9-10/12 in NL and 6/12 in AL. Let's do this!

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. Chris Cosley
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner