NL and AL Only Auction Leagues - Las Vegas

Greg Ambrosius

Re: NL and AL Only Auction Leagues - Las Vegas

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 am

I talked with Brian Ogan, who loves this format and really wishes he could come to Las Vegas. The good doctor can't make it this year, but I said I'd work with him to still get involved. If needed, he's ready on standby with a proxy. I'll add him here to show everyone that we are closer than expected. Let's fill this NL league up soon and keep working on the AL:

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
Friday, March 26, 10 am PT
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. Chris Cosley
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner
10. Dan Semsel
11. Lindy Hinkelman
12. Scott Wieland
13. Brian Ogan (with proxy)

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
Friday, March 26, 4 pm PT
$1,400 AL Auction League
1. Dave Smith
2. Philip Glukhovsky
3. Shawn Childs
4. Eddie Gillis
5. Chris Cosley
6. Stephen Marshall
7. Brian Ogan (with proxy)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 am
I talked with Brian Ogan, who loves this format and really wishes he could come to Las Vegas. The good doctor can't make it this year, but I said I'd work with him to still get involved. If needed, he's ready on standby with a proxy. I'll add him here to show everyone that we are closer than expected. Let's fill this NL league up soon and keep working on the AL:

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. Chris Cosley
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner
10. Dan Semsel (definitely in if we fill it)
11. Brian Ogan (with proxy)

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 AL Auction League
1. Dave Smith
2. Philip Glukhovsky
3. Shawn Childs
4. Eddie Gillis
5. Chris Cosley
6. Stephen Marshall
And Lindy makes 12 for the NL, awesome!
I'm not sure we've gone head to head since my crushing loss wayyyyyy back in 2011? Wow, that's been a long time. :shock: Looking forward to it. :)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:26 am

Okay, Dan Semsel is officially in for the NL Auction League and Lindy will take a spot if something changes on Thursday night. We are talking with the seven folks signed up for that Auction Championship league and making sure they all have favorable landing spots if that league falls through. I'm talking with Lindy and Brian now, so should have an update soon.

We still need help with the AL Auction League and will keep trying. We opened a second $1400 Auction Championship on Friday at 4 pm PT just in case that doesn't come through. At least then we have an option, albeit not exactly the same one. We'll keep pushing. Thanks all.

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. Chris Cosley
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner
10. Dan Semsel
11. Lindy Hinkelman (if Thursday auction is cancelled)
12. Brian Ogan (with proxy)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:26 am
Okay, Dan Semsel is officially in for the NL Auction League and Lindy will take a spot if something changes on Thursday night. We are talking with the seven folks signed up for that Auction Championship league and making sure they all have favorable landing spots if that league falls through. I'm talking with Lindy and Brian now, so should have an update soon.

We still need help with the AL Auction League and will keep trying. We opened a second $1400 Auction Championship on Friday at 4 pm PT just in case that doesn't come through. At least then we have an option, albeit not exactly the same one. We'll keep pushing. Thanks all.

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. Chris Cosley
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner
10. Dan Semsel
11. Lindy Hinkelman (if Thursday auction is cancelled)
12. Brian Ogan (with proxy)
As a Mixed League guy stepping out of my comfort zone, my NL only entry was conditional upon there also being an AL Only Auction in the afternoon as well, so that by doing both, by my simple logic, that equates to a Mixed League. However, it seems now that the NL-only snobs have their league nearly filled, they have no interest now in stepping out of their respective comfort zones and keeping the AL Only viable. So to be clear, I have zero interest in the NL Only in of itself but only coupled with the AL Only. If AL Only does not fill, then put me down for a Mixed League Auction if that is going to be an option. Thanks all. 8-)
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Okay, fellow Cheesehead Scott Wieland is coming to Las Vegas for March Madness weekend and has jumped into the NL Auction League on Friday morning. We have options here, so this one is definitely a go. Thanks Scott and this should be a blast.

Here's the current lineup card:

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 NL Auction League
1. Jeff Devoto
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. KJ Duke
5. Mike Duggan
6. Craig Enochs
7. Chris Cosley
8. Stephen Marshall
9. Ken Magner
10. Dan Semsel
11. Lindy Hinkelman
12. Scott Wieland
13. Brian Ogan (with proxy)

We will give it another week for the 4 pm AL Auction League, but if we don't get this moving along by next Tuesday we are going to have to make a tough decision. We do have several owners willing to do a $1400 Mixed Auction league at that time and maybe that's an option for this group. But as of now, we're still holding out hope that we can find 5 more AL owners. Here's the current signup list:

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 AL Auction League
1. Dave Smith
2. Philip Glukhovsky
3. Shawn Childs
4. Eddie Gillis
5. Chris Cosley
6. Stephen Marshall
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:33 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 pm
We will give it another week for the 4 pm AL Auction League, but if we don't get this moving along by next Tuesday we are going to have to make a tough decision. We do have several owners willing to do a $1400 Mixed Auction league at that time and maybe that's an option for this group. But as of now, we're still holding out hope that we can find 5 more AL owners. Here's the current signup list:

LAS VEGAS - Bellagio
$1,400 AL Auction League
1. Dave Smith
2. Philip Glukhovsky
3. Shawn Childs
4. Eddie Gillis
5. Chris Cosley
6. Stephen Marshall
8. KJ Duke (hostage ransom payment for my remaining in NL Only)
4 SPOTS LEFT - AL ONLY AUCTION

If the number of sign-ups are any indication, then the AL is indeed still the “Junior Circuit.” For those unaware of the history of the formation of the "Junior" Circuit, in 1881 the American Association was formed with teams from cities that were not members of the National League and teams that had been expelled from the league (such as Cincinnati, which was disciplined in 1880 for playing games on Sunday and allowing liquor on the grounds). In 1890, after the National League tried to limit salaries (a $2,000 maximum for pitchers), the players formed the Players’ League, but it quickly failed. The American Association unsuccessfully challenged the National League and late in 1891 merged with it in a 12-team league that constituted a monopoly, an arrangement that prevailed through 1899. By 1900 the National League had shrunk to eight teams—Boston (the team that would eventually become the Braves), Brooklyn (soon to be the Dodgers), Chicago (soon to be the Cubs), Cincinnati (the Reds, who had returned to the league in 1890), New York City (the Giants), Philadelphia (the Phillies), Pittsburgh (the Pirates), and St. Louis (the Cardinals)—and it remained so constituted until 1953, when the Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The Western League, organized in 1893, had Midwestern members. When in 1900 Charles Comiskey moved his St. Paul (Minnesota) team to Chicago as the White Sox and the Grand Rapids (Michigan) team was shifted to Cleveland as the Indians, the National League agreed to the moves. However, when permission was asked to put teams in Baltimore (Maryland) and Washington, D.C., the National League balked, and the “baseball war” was on. The Western League, renamed the American League and officially elevated to major league status in 1901, transferred teams from Indianapolis (Indiana), Kansas City (Missouri), Minneapolis, and Buffalo (New York) to Baltimore (the first of two American League teams to be called the Baltimore Orioles), Washington, D.C. (the Senators), Philadelphia (the Athletics), and Boston (the Red Stockings). American League teams also were established in Detroit, Michigan (the Tigers), and Milwaukee (the first of two teams to be named the Milwaukee Brewers), the latter club moving to St. Louis as the Browns in 1902. When the Baltimore club moved to New York City in 1903 to become the Highlanders (after 1912, the Yankees), the league took the form it was to keep until 1954, when the St. Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles.

During the “war,” the American League wooed away many of the National League’s star players. In 1903 the leagues agreed to prohibit single ownership of two clubs in the same city and the shifting of franchises from one city to another by either league without permission of the other. They also established rules for transferring players from one league to the other and for moving minor league players into the major leagues. The peace of 1903 resulted in the first World Series, which had a hiatus in 1904 when the New York Giants refused to play believing the opposition unworthy.

And 117 years later, as is often the case, history seems to repeat itself as much like the 1904 NY Giants, the NFBC has deemed the American League unworthy. Be a shame if the league of the red-sport coats Umpires, balloon chest protector, the DH & the greatest team in sports history went the way of the Dodo bird. Not to mention for a league originally started in the City of Milwaukee.
Attachments
F25AC9BE-9238-457F-959C-8E378ED6210C.jpeg
F25AC9BE-9238-457F-959C-8E378ED6210C.jpeg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
E93013DF-7C8E-4891-9893-5B4998DA2478.jpeg
E93013DF-7C8E-4891-9893-5B4998DA2478.jpeg (173.78 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
9AD6592C-9288-4510-8EFC-B3DFA6ADE30F.jpeg
9AD6592C-9288-4510-8EFC-B3DFA6ADE30F.jpeg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:55 pm

It’s last call time for AL Only. Now or never. I hate to see this cancelled for the second year in a row. How about one late push to fill this?!