Win $20,000 In The 2021 NFBC Auction Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Win $20,000 In The 2021 NFBC Auction Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:54 pm

The NFBC Auction Championship has been around as the industry's only national auction championship since 2010 and we have crowned 10 national champions since then. Unfortunately, that streak was broken last year due to Covid-19 as every live event was cancelled in March and then the season was shortened to 60 games. We cancelled the NFBC Auction Championship completely in 2020, but we were prepared to host multiple live 15-team auction leagues this year and crown another overall champion.

Unfortunately, Covid-19 was able to strike again. It just wasn't a lethal blow this time.

Our original plan that we announced in October was to base prizes for this championship on 12 leagues, a level we've hit each of the previous four years without much trouble. But this year, the Chicago Auction Championship league has been cancelled and we will be getting only two leagues in New York City after having filled five auction leagues each of the last four years. This is all because of Covid as many of our die-hard auction participants just don't feel safe coming into the city yet.

We'll also have fewer auction leagues in Las Vegas this year as right now we have three full leagues after filling six leagues for several years in a row.

The math is pretty easy to do right now on this contest: We have 5 full auction leagues -- three at $1,400 each and two at $2,500 each -- which means something has to be done to this prize pool. We can't base prizes on 12 leagues and finish with only half of that total and still move forward as is. Something has to be done to save this national championship for this season before ramping back up to the old levels in 2022.

And that's what we're going to do right now.

We KNOW the Auction Championship will reach 180 teams again next year, but for right now we have to save this contest by reducing the overall prize pool. We'll do everything we can to fill more than five leagues, and I think we will, but for now let's cancel the original contest and reprise it with a new prize payout plan.

Legally, we must offer everyone who is already signed up for this contest the chance for a refund. If you don't like the new prize structure, please respond to me as soon as possible, especially if you are already in a full league. We'd hate to lose even a single person from this national contest, but if you don't like the new prize structure you will get your money back before the contest starts and we will do all we can to fill your spot.

So here's the plan for the 2021 NFBC Auction Championship:

1) NOTHING CHANGES ON LEAGUE PRIZES! Players in the $1,400 auction leagues are still playing for $12,250 in prizes, including $7,500 for first place. And players in the $2,500 league are still playing for $28,500 in prizes, including $20,000 for first place. NOTHING CHANGES WITHIN THE LEAGUE PRIZES.

2) We are now basing prizes on 7 leagues and reducing the grand prize and the overall prize pool from its original levels. We are hopeful that we can still fill the Sunday Las Vegas $1400 Auction League and even one more league after that. So while we are lowering the prize pool right now, we are taking a chance by guaranteeing the prize money based on two more leagues.

3) The grand prize will now be $20,000 instead of $30,000. We did not want to just cut the grand prize in half and try for six leagues. It was important to have the grand prize as big as the league prize in the $2,500 league. Now one owner can win up to $40,000 total while competing against only 105 owners in seven leagues. If you win your league title you have a pretty good chance now of winning the overall title.

4) We will pay the Top 5 overall finishers a total of $30,000. If we can get more than seven leagues, we will boost 2nd through 5th overall. To do that, we'd need to fill out at least one $1,400 Auction Championship league Online. I think we can do that on Monday, March 29th, so check out that date and time if you're interested.

We apologize for the late change, but it became obvious earlier this month that New York, Chicago and even Las Vegas were going to bring in fewer live participants, and that would definitely affect our final numbers for the auction championship. We waited until we had a feeling of how many leagues we were going to fill and we guaranteed the new prizes on the best possible scenario. We still have work to do, but here we go.

Here is the new prize structure:

2021 NFBC Auction Championship
Overall Prizes
First Place = $20,000
Second Place = $4,000
Third Place = $3,000
Fourth Place = $2,000
Fifth Place = $1,000

NFBC $1,400 Auction League
League Prizes
League Champion $7,500
2nd place finisher $3,350
3rd place finisher $1,400

NFBC $2,500 Auction League
League Prizes
League Champion $20,000
2nd place finisher $6,000
3rd place finisher $2,500

I only need to hear from you if you want a refund under the new prize structure. The deadline for contacting me is this Sunday. If you're okay with this, we will see you in the auction rooms in New York City, Las Vegas and Online. Thanks to everyone who continues to support this contest and our live events and I promise that next year we are going to BLOW OUT the live events in all three cities. We will party like it's 1999!! :lol: Thanks all and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Win $20,000 In The 2021 NFBC Auction Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Let's add to this champions list in 2021. Here's the list of past champions for the NFBC Auction Championship:

NFBC Auction Championship Overall Champions:
2010 - Jeff Dobies
2011 - Richard Gordon/Charles Levitz
2012 - Andy Saxton/Jeff Dobies
2013 - Alan Greenberg
2014 - Bob Particelli
2015 - Anson Chan
2016 - Dave Taylor
2017 - Jeffery Cox/Bill Culver
2018 - Vince Clemente
2019 - Jacob Halusker

Nobody has beaten Jacob in two years, but he's coming back to Las Vegas to defend his title. Damn, it's been a long reign as champion Jacob!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Completely understand, and the reworked overall prizes look good. thank you. 8-)

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:29 pm

As I emailed you earlier this week Greg, I think attempting a Thursday 3/25 1000 pacific Live Vegas auction is worth considering for a few reasons:

1) There are no other Live events to compete with.
2) There are degenerate auction players such as myself that have interest in doing more auctions. Particularly owners that got closed out of playing because some leagues filled and others did not.
3) There are plenty of owners that are arriving in Vegas Wednesday or earlier that will be available.
4) Makes for a great day, auction in the morning and Main Event in the evening.

I am fine with a $2500 or $1400, whatever the consensus is. So, who else is interested?

1) Thomas Warner

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Teufel Hunden wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:29 pm
As I emailed you earlier this week Greg, I think attempting a Thursday 3/25 1000 pacific Live Vegas auction is worth considering for a few reasons:

2) There are degenerate auction players such as myself that have interest in doing more auctions. Particularly owners that got closed out of playing because some leagues filled and others did not.
3) There are plenty of owners that are arriving in Vegas Wednesday or earlier that will be available.

I am fine with a $2500 or $1400, whatever the consensus is. So, who else is interested?

1) Thomas Warner
If demand is there for a $1400 Auction Championship league at noon PT on Thursday we will host it. We have the ballrooms all day Thursday, so yes let’s do it if 15 owners want to do it. Post here, email me or confer with Thomas and once we get a handful interested I will put on Registration and not ask for any payment until the league is full. Deal?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm

Teufel Hunden wrote:

1) Thomas Warner
IN for a Thursday 3/25 10AM PST auction. i'd prefer 2500 but do the 1400. No one has draft conflicts at this time. Let's fill this

1) Thomas Warner
2) Jason Duponte
3)

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:42 am

Red Sox Nation- wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm
Teufel Hunden wrote:

1) Thomas Warner
IN for a Thursday 3/25 10AM PST auction. i'd prefer 2500 but do the 1400. No one has draft conflicts at this time. Let's fill this

1) Thomas Warner
2) Jason Duponte
3)
I'll throw my hat in the ring for fun if this happens.

1) Thomas Warner
2) Jason Duponte
3) Dusty Wagner

Greg, you can also put me up on the list for Friday at 4PM to help fill that auction there too.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:34 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:42 am
Red Sox Nation- wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm
Teufel Hunden wrote:

1) Thomas Warner

1) Thomas Warner
2) Jason Duponte
3)
I'll throw my hat in the ring for fun if this happens.

1) Thomas Warner
2) Jason Duponte
3) Dusty Wagner

Greg, you can also put me up on the list for Friday at 4PM to help fill that auction there too.
Awesome. Will do. I'll be buying the drinks if we're able to fill two more live auction leagues in Las Vegas, I promise that!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks to everyone who stuck with the NFBC Auction Championship this year as we battled through Covid and still kept this great contest alive. Because of fewer people attending the live events, we knew that the prize structure had to be altered, but everyone stuck with the new prize structure and in fact we exceeded expectations.

At one point, we thought we might finish with five or six leagues, but we still guaranteed the prize pool based on seven leagues so that we could keep a $20,000 grand prize. Well, then we filled an extra Friday afternoon $1400 Auction Championship league in Las Vegas and surprisingly we filled a $1400 Auction Championship league online. That last one went so smoothly that folks asked us if we could set up one more for the last week, but we didn't do it.

In all, we finished with eight Auction Championship Leagues in 2021, so we added another $4,300 to the prize pool. Here's the new prize pool that we just updated on the site:

2021 NFBC Auction Championship
Overall Prizes
First Place = $20,000
Second Place = $5,000
Third Place = $4,000
Fourth Place = $2,700
Fifth Place = $1,600
Sixth Place = $1,000

We added to second through fifth place and then added a sixth place prize as well. Enjoy all and THANKS once again.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:38 am

Great stuff Greg. RT and i were hoping for one more online but that’s ok!