Team/Player Lineup Deadlines

DOUGHBOYS

Team/Player Lineup Deadlines

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 05, 2021 11:25 am

I do not own Jake deGrom very much. At the same time, I felt badly for deGrom owners when he was scratched with an injury.
His team had already played a game, so his owners can only hope that he throws later in the week.
It wasn't his owners fault that the news didn't come out till it was too late.
This got me thinking (dangerous, I know).

Why do we have a team deadline for starting times when our game is all about individual players?
Should it really matter if the Mets have played a game this week when deGrom owners get the bad news?
What if we lifted the team deadline and made it an individual deadline?
We'll eliminate position players for now. They have different circumstances. Although it may be viable for them as well, just not nearly as much as pitchers.

If having individual deadlines, it would help with rain games.
For instance, when inserting Wainwright to our lineups on Monday, he was scheduled to pitch at home vs. the Tigers.
But, that game got rained out and Waino's owners have to endure a road encounter with the White Sox instead.
It wasn't his owners fault. An individual deadline would take away that headache.
It would alleviate a sudden mid-week 'skip' of a pitcher.
It would fix the deGrom type of misfortune.
Streaming would not be a problem.
It may even add a little intrigue with Closers.
If a Closer has not been used in a game and it is Friday, we may want to insert a Starter we were on the fence about.

I don't know if the software would allow this or not. It may be a problem, I don't know.
It's just an idea.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

gellin

Re: Team/Player Lineup Deadlines

Post by gellin » Wed May 05, 2021 2:01 pm

Dan, you mentioned replacing a closer with a starter on Friday as another idea, which I agree with. I don't understand the logic that we can swap out hitters but not pitchers on Fridays. Why is streaming pitchers frowned upon if everybody is playing by the same rules?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm

gellin wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:01 pm
Dan, you mentioned replacing a closer with a starter on Friday as another idea, which I agree with. I don't understand the logic that we can swap out hitters but not pitchers on Fridays. Why is streaming pitchers frowned upon if everybody is playing by the same rules?
We were allowed to stream pitchers a long time ago for a short time. It didn't make for a better game. At least in my opinion.
BUT, I do not believe the current system is all that wonderful either.
It is sort of silly that because a Starter throws twice in one week, that we HAVE to choose between none or both starts.
But without allowing streaming, I can't come up with another way to get around that.

Going back to streaming, it changes the game a lot. Almost enough to say that it changes fantasy baseball too much.
Maybe if we allowed pitching changes on Friday with a maximum of (insert number here) Starts, that would work. I don't know.
But as is, we are a slave to the calendar.
On my tombstone-

gellin

Post by gellin » Wed May 05, 2021 4:13 pm

Can you please provide a specific example (or two) on why streaming doesn't work? Thanks.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Some folks here have better memories than I. But for me, it rendered the K and Win categories as not about performance, but how many Starts an owner could get out of his roster.
FAABing pitchers became more relevant as to NOT the performance of a Starter, but the timing of when his next start would be.
It became a game of throwing your top pitchers all the time, like we do now, while at the same time, trying to orchestrate pitchers on the bottom end of the spectrum to get as many starts as possible. It made for a completely different game.
I wasn't a fan.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 05, 2021 4:33 pm

To simplify, streaming changes our game from a performance game to more of a volume game.
It's a hard thing to explain without experiencing it yourself.
On my tombstone-

gellin

Post by gellin » Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm

I would argue that it's already a volume game. In addition to trying to get more wins and Ks, we're trying to get more HRs, RBIs, etc. Streaming pitchers MAY help you get more wins and Ks but it MAY also be at the expense of ERA and WHIP. With 7 bench spots, if someone wants to load up on 7 pitchers, that's fine with me, or burn their FA $ on starters every week, again, that's fine with me. Granted, I may have a different opinion if I played in an NFBC league where you can stream pitchers but as an outsider I don't see the harm in allowing pitchers to be brought up and down on Fridays just like we do with hitters. The only harm is making the wrong decisions on who to bring up, which all of us have equal opportunities to do.
Last edited by gellin on Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:52 am

Adding pitcher swaps on Fridays wouldn't even solve this issue. A team might have 2 2-start pitchers, 4 relievers and then 3 starters for Mon-Thur and 3 for Fri-Sun.

If deGrom gets scratched on Tuesday and your Thursday starter gets pushed back to Friday, you're taking two 0's in the Mon-Thur.

The other option that's been brought up is the ability to switch out a pitcher if he hasn't pitched yet but then people would switch out their closers if they don't pitch early in the week. Others would want to switch out deGrom if he gets scratched but what if he gets scratched on a Thursday and your replacement pitched on Wednesday. You can't make the swap and someone who has someone who pitches on the week-end can? That would suck even more.

I don't think there's any good solutions to this

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 am

Philippe, I agree. It is so tough.
There is a better option, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. :lol:

gellin, I thought the very same way as you, before playing with streaming of pitchers.
After playing with the streaming of pitchers, I saw how it changed our game in not a very good way.
On my tombstone-

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon May 24, 2021 1:12 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 am
Philippe, I agree. It is so tough.
There is a better option, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. :lol:

gellin, I thought the very same way as you, before playing with streaming of pitchers.
After playing with the streaming of pitchers, I saw how it changed our game in not a very good way.
While I’m always leaning toward fewer rule changes, I can offer ideas.
What if all managers were given 1 or 2 discretionary swap-outs per week involving only pitchers who have not yet pitched?
A limit on the number of swaps could dampen an abuse of the practice enough to avoid changing the fantasy game significantly.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz