227 Players on the IL- Perhaps a tweak is due

Yankees2009

227 Players on the IL- Perhaps a tweak is due

Post by Yankees2009 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm

I've been playing here a lot shorter time that most of those who post, but in light of the historic number of players on the IL, and apparently increasing every day, may I be bold enough to suggest that 1 or 2 IL spots be added to the 7 player bench. I can't speak for anyone else, but my bench is typically filled with 3 or 4 pitchers and 3 or 4 hitters. Unfortunately, on most of my teams, the hitters on the bench are all on the IL. The scarcity of waiver wire o.f.'s is bad enough in OC, and I would imagine the Main Event is exponentially worse.
I understand this game is supposed to be difficult, and I like that, but the option of dropping a player from your bench just to fill a roster spot can result in making your team worse. Since injuries are random, and happen to practically everyone, I don't think adding a spot or 2 for players on the IL would impact the skill and/or the integrity of the game.
I won't bother to suggest changing saves to saves/holds because I know that would be deemed heresy.

Philippe27

Re: 227 Players on the IL- Perhaps a tweak is due

Post by Philippe27 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:38 am

Yankees2009 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm
The scarcity of waiver wire o.f.'s is bad enough in OC, and I would imagine the Main Event is exponentially worse.
Add 2 IL slots and there'll be even fewer OF's to use on the waiver wire. It won't solve the problem, it'll make it even worse.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 21, 2021 11:17 am

So the tweak that you are suggesting is a major one. Forget the IL designation because what you'd like is an expansion of the rosters. So instead of 30 players per team (450 players), you'd like 31 (465 players) or 32 (490 players). Again, forget the fact that you are requesting two IL spots because it doesn't matter if players are on the IL or not; adding two more roster spots is the request.

As I've said this week on a Twitter thread that asked the same thing, I don't think people realize how big a change it would be in 15-team leagues and how thin the free agent pool would be in each league. It's already thin with 450 players rostered; now imagine 15 or 30 more players out of the free agent pool. The owners who have a lot of injuries during the season would actually have fewer options to replace those players than they would in our current situation. Why? Because the two reserves you have aren't guaranteed to be players who would replace your injured players. Maybe one is a pitcher who you could fill in with, but it's likely you'd need help on the free agent wire and the pickings would be slim.

The NFBC started with 29-man rosters and we quickly agreed with our customers that the 6-man reserve roster was too small. We added one player to create 30-man rosters and it's been that way since our second season. I'm not sure adding 1 or 2 more roster spots is good -- and we seem to have this discussion every year -- but like Frasier Crane, "I'm listening." Go ahead and post here. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri May 21, 2021 12:13 pm

Yankees2009 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm
I've been playing here a lot shorter time that most of those who post, but in light of the historic number of players on the IL, and apparently increasing every day, may I be bold enough to suggest that 1 or 2 IL spots be added to the 7 player bench. I can't speak for anyone else, but my bench is typically filled with 3 or 4 pitchers and 3 or 4 hitters. Unfortunately, on most of my teams, the hitters on the bench are all on the IL. The scarcity of waiver wire o.f.'s is bad enough in OC, and I would imagine the Main Event is exponentially worse.
I understand this game is supposed to be difficult, and I like that, but the option of dropping a player from your bench just to fill a roster spot can result in making your team worse. Since injuries are random, and happen to practically everyone, I don't think adding a spot or 2 for players on the IL would impact the skill and/or the integrity of the game.
I won't bother to suggest changing saves to saves/holds because I know that would be deemed heresy.
I feel your pain, especially after losing Trout on a team that was already lost to go with a plethora of other injuries. I honestly see both sides, but cannot get behind the IL roster due to the further thinning of the player pool.

Now, on the saves/holds...I once would have said no way, but with the way we have closer turnover and use of "closers" in the 8th inning, it might be a way to take the pressure of the pitcher pools. Won't do much for auctions or the draft values of closers because the inherent risks have already devalued closers to a large extent in my opinion.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 pm

Every time things get hard, people suggest rule changes.
Remember when there were advocates for Quality Starts instead of Wins?
Where would we be now with QS as a category?

When things get hard we need to improvise, overcome and adapt. Rule changes to a great fantasy game aren’t the answer.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 27, 2021 5:21 am

You tell 'em HIghway! :lol:

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer