Cleveland f.k.a Indians

Edwards Kings

Cleveland f.k.a Indians

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:39 am

"The Indians announced Friday that they will be known as the Cleveland Guardians following the conclusion of the 2021 season.
The organization announced a while ago that they would be changing their nickname and now we know what it will be. "Guardians" is a reference to a structure on the Hope Memorial Bridge in Cleveland which is known as the "Guardians of Traffic," and it is incorporated into their new logo, as well."

This makes me feel like...

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

mdecav

Re: Cleveland f.k.a Indians

Post by mdecav » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:08 am

It was only a matter of time when MLB (although not the league, just the teams within it) became like the NBA or NHL in terms of team name blandness.

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm

COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Back in the day, the Cleveland franchise was named after their best player.
The Cleveland Naps for Napolean LaJoie,
I guess that wouldn't work to well now. The Cleveland Biebers does not have a good ring to it.

However, there are plenty of promotional ideas for the Guardians....

Paul Blart, Mall Security Night

First 20,000 in attendance receives free 'Depends'

First 20,000 in attendance receive free condoms...(Please fans, no sex in the ball park...)

Blue Line Night (All policeman admitted free)

Guardians of the Galaxy Night (Come dressed as your favorite Star)

Traffic Crossing Guardian Night

The Guardians (Man, that's hard to fathom) original name were the BlueBirds.
A name they'd pass on today with the invent of the name 'Boo Birds' since.
The Indians name was spawned from writers.
Although the name is deemed not politically correct today, it was invoked for kindness, not a slur.
While the team was named the Cleveland Spiders for a time, their fans were calling them the Indians.
One of their players was a real Indian. Louis Sockalexis (I know, it sounds like I made it up, but I didn't.)
He was a fan favorite. If anything, the opposite of disrespect.
But political correctness police don't care about the past. Only their present (and in all politicians cases, their future).

On a personal note, I have a friend who is a full blooded Indian.
He hates the changes made by the political correctness police.
Locally, a high school with the nickname 'Warriors' with an Indian logo will be changed.
The name 'Warriors' will be retained, but the mascot is being changed to another kind of warrior. A Viking or some such likeness.
As if a Viking makes things all better.
My friend believes that after all the name changes have been made, Indians will be less remembered or even forgotten.
He is a believer that any kind of publicity is good publicity in keeping his heritage alive.
The Cleveland Indians heritage? It will remain alive, just a little less so in most minds.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:48 am

I was hoping for 'Brown Sox'.

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:02 am

I believe a lawsuit is pending for trademark infringement. Apparently there’s a Roller Derby Team with the Cleveland Guardians name