Washington Nationals

Edwards Kings

Washington Nationals

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm

Today's lineup...

Batting first, Juan Soto
Batting second, Josh Bell
Batting third, lottery winner who was sitting in Aisle 105, Seat 4 (once he gets back from getting nachos)
Batting fifth, Lost tourist who thought he was in Albuquerque
Batting sixth, Juan Soto (different uniform number)
Batting seventh, friend of the stadium announcer who once had a good game in the sixth grade
Batting eighth, Muriel Bowser (Mayor of Washington DC)
Batting ninth and pitching, Dan Kenyon!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Thurman15

Re: Washington Nationals

Post by Thurman15 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:16 pm

Yup. They suck. And I don't think Dan Kenyan will help them either.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Oh, I don't know. The big left-hander got a little gas left!

Though the Braves were certainly active (though Jorge "Butcher" Soler is a bit of a head scratcher on a defense first team), I hate the fire drills that some teams had. I understand it and the Braves certainly did it a few years ago, but feel bad for the fans of the teams who are fielding the rebuilding rosters.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm

I am hurt that you would have me batting last, Wayne. :D

I'm in the minority. I like what the Nationals did. They stripped it to bare bones (bear bones?). Their team wasn't going anywhere.
I feel a little sorry for the fans. They won't get to see Trea Turner for an extra year. But, they did get Ruiz and Josiah Gray building blocks for a new buildup in talent there. As much as they were sellers a week ago, I sense they will be buyers this off season. That should pump up their fan base.
Nationals fans have always had a team that is 'going for it'. They're lucky that way.
Teams like the Pirates and Rockies are only there to put $$$ in owners coffers.
Colorado didn't even have the good sense to trade away Trevor Story.
Pittsburgh flounders like a fish on the sands of a beach. No hope.
One more team that is headed towards the road to nowhere are the Miami Marlins. Jeter and his 'gung ho' partners have been there for nearly five years.
Five years. And really, there is no difference in the team.
No batter to fear. Starting pitching that is average. A bullpen that is laughable.
They have hopefuls that played well enough to get Miami into the playoffs for a shortened season.
For a 162 game season though, hopeless.
Worse, they offered Starling Marte, a player who liked playing in Miami and wanted to stay, chump change to stay with the team.
A sign that the Marlins are more about making money for it's 'new owners', not spending for the fans.
They're a team who's best players will always be 'on the way.'
For Jeter, a business, not a game that needs to be won as when he was playing.

Fantasy-wise, I believe if the Nationals do not go on a spending spree this Winter and that Juan Soto will lead baseball in base on balls.
(By the way, I LOVE the new Joey Votto.
Not looking to take a walk, Votto is hitting as Joey Votto should hit.
Take that, analytics!
And dammit Joey, why didn't you do this years ago when I was yelling at you! 500 homers beats any number of BB!)

Soto will miss Trea Turner a LOT, no matter what the Nationals plan is for next year.
During the All Star break, some of us NFBC vets got together and did a mock draft for 2022.
Soto was drafted 12.
Remember, that was before losing Trea.
If not building around him this Spring, he is looking at the second round.

Thanks for the shout out, Wayne! :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:43 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm
I am hurt that you would have me batting last, Wayne. :D
Well, somebody had to provide top cover for the Mayor!
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm
Thanks for the shout out, Wayne! :D
You're welcome my friend...and I agree with what you wrote. Good teams have to do what Washington is doing, but it is rough on the fans (and Soto).
Charles Krauthammer