2022 NFBC Plans Include $175,000 Main Event Grand Prize

Greg Ambrosius

2022 NFBC Plans Include $175,000 Main Event Grand Prize

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:04 pm

We are excited to roll out our 2022 NFBC contest plans next week and we'll do that shortly after the World Series ends. Remember that the site will roll over to 2022 at that time and all of your 2021 NFBC teams will go into your My Historical Teams link. Download or do a screen shot of all 2021 draft boards, auction boards, FAAB pages, standings, final rosters, etc. before the site rolls over because not everything transfers each year.

And yes, we are VERY EXCITED to launch our 19th season of the National Fantasy Baseball Championship. It's hard to believe that Tom and I have been doing this since 2004. We have gone from less than 800 total baseball and football teams in 2004 to more than 44,000 teams in four different sports in 2021. Maybe we'll reach 50,000 teams in 2022.

We have a couple of changes that we want to announce today before we launch the site. Very little is changing with our contests, but we have a few announcements that we want to get in front of you so that nobody is shocked when the site launches next week.

The first one involves the NFBC Main Event, our signature event, and the most prominent contest in the fantasy baseball industry. We have good news and bad news there.

Good News: We are increasing the grand prize to $175,000 this year with the hope of reaching $200,000 soon.
Bad News: We are increasing the entry fee from $1,700 to $1,750.

Now that doesn't seem like a lot and it does allow us to slightly increase league prizes, while jumping the grand prize $25,000. It's also the same price that we charged in 2017 before SportsHub Technologies purchased us. At that time, the cost of entry was $1,700 and there was a $50 Events Fee, which helped us with costs involved with the live events. In 2018, we got rid of the $50 Events Fee and got rid of any co-manager fees, deciding to eat the live events costs. This year we are shooting for 660 Main Event teams and the additional $50 fee is going directly to the increased overall and league prizes. I think that's good news, but adding any additional cost can be bad news to some folks.

We also have one other price increase and that involves the NFBC Auction Championship. The cost of entry will now be $1,500, up from $1,400. We are once again shooting for 12 full leagues/180 teams and the increased entry fee allows us to expand the league prizes by $500 per league ($7,750 now for first place), while also expanding the overall prizes. We are now paying down 10 spots in the overall, with second through 10th place getting a bump. We had paid down only six spots in the overall in the past and this allows us to pay more top teams in the overall. The grand prize remains at $30,000 as we decided to strengthen the secondary prizes instead of just one grand prize, but this puts us in a place now where the grand prize can move higher in future years.

One other change involves the minimum Innings Pitched limit. We will just change the Draft Champions National Championship and the NFBC $50 Draft Champions limits to 950 IP since neither contest has FAAB pickups. We still think that 950 IP is a high number, but without free agent pickups we found that several teams fell below the 1,000 IP limit last year and a change was needed. We will keep the Main Event and the Online Championship and the Satellite Leagues at 1,000 IP. We have kept the Platinum and Diamond Leagues at 1,100 IP, but I will discuss whether 1,050 IP is a better number once we have those leagues filled. Right now it remains at 1,100 IP.

We have one other announcement involving credit card payments that I'll make on a separate post. We have some solutions to our problems there and I want to explain in full after this. Again, it's a good news, bad news scenario that hopefully we can all work around. Or at least work together to lessen the blow. Give me a bit on that announcement.

Oh, and I think we're going to have an online option to easily buy NFBC apparel shortly. I'm working with a new industry vendor who has some great hats and shirts and sweatshirts and other goodies, and with any luck we'll have that web site up shortly. I've always wanted some NFBC swag, but every time I find a vendor it gets way too complicated to order and ship product. I think we've finally found a solution, so stay tuned.

Enjoy the World Series between the Houston Astros and the Atlanta Braves and be ready to start drafting next week. We're excited about launching our 19th season of the NFBC and seeing even more people at our live events in Las Vegas, New York City and Chicago. We have signed contracts already at the Stewart Hotel in New York City March 18-20 and the Sheraton Northbrook in Chicago March 18-19, so that's good news. The Bellagio tentatively has space for us March 24-27, but we can't finalize anything for a couple of months. But we should be returning there in 2022. Thanks for 18 years of support and we can't wait for another record-breaking year in 2022. Until then, enjoy the World Series.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius