Phil Dussault's Great Season

CC's Desperados

Phil Dussault's Great Season

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm

https://www.si.com/fantasy/2021/10/26/h ... ing-season

The next step in the reflection process is reviewing his draft and in-season management. The research for his draft has been done (hopefully posted over the next week). Next Monday, I take a walk through his 27 week's off success.

CC's Desperados

Re: Phil Dussault's Great Season

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am

Here's a look at Phil's overall winning draft:

https://www.si.com/fantasy/2021/11/08/b ... ball-draft

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:11 am

Well done analysis so far Shawn. Hitting on all of those starting pitchers was key and WELL DONE by Phil. There was still a lot of work to be done after the draft, but wow, hitting on those pitchers sure was the winning formula.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:52 am

The dual ace theory has been a around for a number of years now. Phil added the theory of drafting trusted closing arms early to his team building with the hopes of saving free agent spending and bench spots on his roster. Last year, he found multiple aces after the first five rounds, allowing him to avoid surfing the waiver wire for double starters.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:47 pm

CC's Desperados wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:52 am
The dual ace theory has been a around for a number of years now. Phil added the theory of drafting trusted closing arms early to his team building with the hopes of saving free agent spending and bench spots on his roster. Last year, he found multiple aces after the first five rounds, allowing him to avoid surfing the waiver wire for double starters.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Great stuff Shawn! I appreciate the two ace theory and have adopted (with much less success obviously) drafting pitchers earlier and more often than I ever have. Problem for me is I do not have the brains not to be cheap (ie. I think this guy can be an ace and I can get him a round or two later). Worked this year with my second round pick (Scherzer), not so much after (Gray/Corbin). In short, if you are going to do the double ace, do it. Don't go in half way.

On drafting trusted closers, again this is an alien concept as "trusted" closer means about the same to me as "great tasting" fat-free mayonnaise or "honest" politician. I did draft Aroldis in round 4, but again that was a halfway measure as my second closer did not come until round 13.

Congrat's to Phil. Took the chance, made some bold moves that put his offensive behind (seemingly) by focusing early on pitchers, and made it work.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:04 am

I finished the article for Phil's in-season management. I'm not sure if/when it will get posted. For anyone wanting a copy (not proof read and in word), send me an E-mail at [email protected] and I'll send it out.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:08 pm

Here are the two articles showcasing the Phil Dussault's team management for his overall winning roster:

https://www.si.com/fantasy/2022/01/09/t ... son-part-1

https://www.si.com/fantasy/2022/01/09/t ... son-part-2