NL Manager of the Year Finalists

Edwards Kings

NL Manager of the Year Finalists

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:51 am

So the guy who managed a team that lost its starting catcher for more than half the season, lost the clean-up hitter to a domestic violence incident, lost arguably the best player in baseball and lead off hitter on July 11th for the season, but yet won the division, the LDS, the LCS, and World Series is NOT a Manager of the Year finalist?

Stupid...just stupid!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Re: NL Manager of the Year Finalists

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:02 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:51 am
So the guy who managed a team that lost its starting catcher for more than half the season, lost the clean-up hitter to a domestic violence incident, lost arguably the best player in baseball and lead off hitter on July 11th for the season, but yet won the division, the LDS, the LCS, and World Series is NOT a Manager of the Year finalist?

Stupid...just stupid!
You are right, he wasn't a finalist for this award, but the manager who was the first one fired after the season IS a finalist for this award. That's pretty crazy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:19 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:51 am

Stupid...just stupid!
Kind of understandable to me.
The voters voted before the playoffs having no idea the Braves would win in the playoffs.
The Giants won well over 100 games.
The Cards were fresh from an 18 game win streak that catapulted them into the playoffs.
The Brewers were dominant all year in the NL Central.
It seemed nobody was interested in winning the East. Including the Braves for most of the year.
The Braves have the last laugh and I'm guessing their Mgr. could care less about MOY.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:29 pm

Agree Braves had the last laugh Dan and Snitker will trade a Manager of the Year nods for a World Series win any day, but not sure I agree with your analysis. The Braves took the NL East lead on August 14th I think after 119 games played and kept it over the next 43 games or a bit more than a quarter of the season (and the quarter that counted). All of the bad things I mentioned had already happened so I think having the team stay competitive then peak at the right time should have definitely counted in Snitker's favor. And this was going on during the voting before the playoffs.

Not jamming the Giants. Anyone who finishes ahead of the Dodgers is OK in my book. Not jamming the Brew-crew who did it with the lowest payroll of the bunch. The Cards should have produced with a $163.5M payroll (highest of the bunch) and the 18-game win streak had Brewer blood all over it, but few teams overcame what the Braves did.

Snitker should have been recognized.

Now, about Joey Votto....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:15 pm

I don't disagree with you, Wayne.
Every one of us has a bias. Especially writers.
Atlanta winning another division? That is boring for writers.
The Cardinals go on an 18 game win streak in assuring a playoff spot. THAT is a story.

My own personal thought is that Manager of the Year is kind of a lame award.
Every Manager has one goal. To win the World Series.
In my mind, the Manager who actually does win the World Series is the TRUE Manager of the Year.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:27 am

You are right Dan, of course. Writers today (unfortunately) have no clue as to the right answer, only what is today's flashy penny.

It just seems like Atlanta continues to ostricized by MLB for doing the right thing. My grapes are sour, my milk curdled, the fur on my back is brisled!

:lol:
Charles Krauthammer