Mets General Manager

Edwards Kings

Mets General Manager

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 pm

I recently got my hands on the written test Steve Cohen is giving to Mets General Manager candidates:

Question 1: A baseball is:
1) Generally round.
2) Generally square.
3) An unverified concept.
4) Give me enough money, I will make it any shape you want.

Question 2: How may Mets will be on the field of play at any one time:
1) A gazillion.
2) Pi.
3) Nine.
4) More than in the stands.

Question 3: What do you see as the greatest challenge for the Mets in 2022?
1) Keeping the starting pitchers healthy.
2) Covering legal fees for DUI charges.
3) Teaching the coaching staff "shit" from "Shinola".
4) Convincing the Atlanta Braves to play like crap for six months rather than just for four.

There are no right answers as Cohen is a hedge fund manager and they write their own rules. If you want the job, send your answers via Cohen's Twitter account. You just might get it (no one else seems to want it)!

(Apologies to my Mets friends...just couldn't resist).
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Thurman15

Re: Mets General Manager

Post by Thurman15 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:40 pm

Billy Eppler is a poor choice. He did a poor job with the Angels when year after year he refused to sign good pitching. I call him Billy Ineptler. I bet deGrom is hoping that he does not install the 6 (or 7) man rotation. Only the Mets......
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Well look at it this way...only two more years and $48M to Cano....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:07 pm
Well look at it this way...only two more years and $48M to Cano....
And how many more of Bonilla? 13? 14?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:40 am

Ha! I, but surely not the Mets, had forgotten about Bonilla. Made me go look it up...

Bonilla last played for the Mets in 1999 and last played in the majors for the Cardinals in 2001, but he will be paid through 2035 (when he'll be 72).

In 2000, the Mets agreed to buy out the remaining $5.9 million on Bonilla's contract. However, instead of paying Bonilla the $5.9 million at the time, the Mets agreed to make annual payments of nearly $1.2 million for 25 years starting July 1, 2011, including a negotiated 8% interest. What rocket scientist came up with that deal?

Well, at the time, Mets ownership was invested in a Bernie Madoff account that promised double-digit returns, and the Mets were poised to make a significant profit if the Madoff account delivered. So good old Bobby Bonilla will collect a check for $1,193,248.20 from the New York Mets, as he has and will every July 1 from 2011 through 2035.

And Bernie laughed and laughed and laughed.....
Charles Krauthammer

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:31 am

I just don't think Bonilla will be that good at 72 years old. As for Bernie Madoff, I have a gut feeling he can't be trusted. Only the Mets.....
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:44 am

What, three years $130m for a (great) pitcher who will turn 38 by the end of July? What could possibly go wrong?
Charles Krauthammer