SOLD OUT: The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Greg Ambrosius

SOLD OUT: The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:54 am

In 2004 during our debut NFBC season, getting just one Main Event entry in a day was a good day. Signups were few and far between and in the end we finished with 195 teams across Las Vegas, New York City and Chicago after basing prizes on 300 teams. Needless to say, we lost a lot of money on that contest that year because we really had nothing else (3 live auction leagues) to fall back on.

But we guaranteed the prize pool, everyone had a great time at the live events and the Main Event was so competitive that Artie Rastelli and Aaron Seefeldt were TIED for first place in the overall standings with two days to go in the season. To see a tie for the overall league on that Saturday morning of 2004 was quite a thrill, but I'm sure Artie and Aaron had a different word for their feelings!! :lol:

Anyway, Artie went on to win the inaugural 2004 Main Event title, while Aaron finished second. Both players are back in 2022 to compete in the Main Event, both competing Online.

As for the NFBC Main Event, the rest is history. We sold out 300 spots in 2005 and have sold out the Main Event for 17 straight seasons, increasing the number of teams to a record 645 last year. We went from 231 total teams in 2004 to over 20,000 last year and I think we'll top that number this year. Now we'll see if we can sell out the Main Event for an 18th straight season!!

Because of the stupid 99-day MLB lockout, and because of Covid sticking around for a third year, signups for the Main Event were slow this off-season. On Thursday, March 10th at 3 pm ET, we had only 250 of 660 spots filled. But once the new CBA was agreed to, interest in the Main Event took off. We have received over 280 signups in the last 13+ days and now have a shot at a sellout. We'll need a brisk pace of signups over the next 15 days, but there's still a shot at a sellout.

I'll use this thread to update the number of Main Event spots left as best as I can so that you know where we are. It will give you a sense of whether you need to secure your spots now or can wait a bit. Last year when we hit 645 teams five days before Opening Day we shut down the contest. We'd love to be able to shut it down again right at 660, but it's going to take some good fortune to do that.

All draft spots will be announced 5 days before your scheduled draft date, but if we are within 5 days of a draft date then draft spots will be announced 30 minutes after the league fills. We will keep a lot of these later leagues open as long as possible to fill them up, so be patient if you can and be ready to get your draft spots only after the league fills. I think we'll get a brisk pace of signups for those April 3rd through April 7th leagues, so be ready. And we'll shut them off once inside 5 days, so don't expect us to keep adding leagues once a time slot is sold out. We'll get as close to 660 as we can, but we won't push it too far and make people wait until minutes before a league is going to draft to fill it.

Thanks all for the support this entire off-season and let's have a memorable 19th NFBC season. Despite the lockout, baseball is back and enthusiasm for the game is high. I'm ready for PLAY BALL, but first we need to sell out the Main Event!!! Let's keep this streak going and keep it going for years to come. Thanks and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 177 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:22 am

Just to be transparent, I'll admit that the two contests that are trending well below plan and that give us the most exposure this year in the national contests is the Rotowire Online Championship and the Best Ball Cutline Championship. Things could change over these last 15 days, but right now the ROI is good for the players.

The Rotowire Online Championship just went over 1,000 teams yesterday and so is at about 42% of plan with prizes based on 2,400 teams. The Cutline Championship also just went over 1,000 teams and thus is just over 50% of plan. If we learned anything from 2020 it's that people will dive into the OCs just before Opening Day when plan have been altered, but that's a lot of ground to cover in a short time.

We increased the grand prize to $150,000 in the Rotowire Online Championship and maybe this was the wrong year to be bullish on this contest. But all of these overall prizes remain guaranteed and we'll hope for the best down the stretch. We also have a $75,000 cash bonus for anyone who can win the NFBC Main Event overall title and the Rotowire Online Championship overall title, so there's added incentive to grab some OCs if you're already in the Main Event.

The Draft Champions National Championship and the Online Auction Championship are on pace for sellouts, as is the Auction Championship now that the grand prize is $20,000. The Diamond Challenge Roto and Points also are far behind plan, but we know a lot of people secure their teams and set their lineups just before Opening Day. We hope that's the case again this year.

Damn the lockout!!! :twisted: Oh well, there's no crying in baseball and hopefully all works out for these contests. Good luck and enjoy the added ROI if it happens (we hope not!!).
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Re: 155 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:51 pm

We have topped 500 teams in the Main Event. 155 spots are now remaining. Still time to get into a great league LIVE in New York, Chicago or Online. Sign up on the site or contact me or Greg. Get in and win the RECORD $175,000 grand prize.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 130 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:40 am

NOW 130 SPOTS LEFT in the 2022 NFBC Main Event!!! We're officially at 530 teams today with a goal of hitting the 660 mark for our 18th straight Main Event sellout!!! :D

We had 21 new Main Event signups yesterday!! Some even came from Las Vegas drafters who either had drafter's remorse or wanted to do it again!! :lol: I don't care what it was, I like it.

Let's keep this pace up and in 11 days we'll have a full boat. Thanks all and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 122 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 am

Another dozen Main Event signups yesterday while we were wrapping up the Las Vegas live events gets us a little closer to our goal of 660 teams in the 2022 NFBC Main Event. We're still hoping for a late rush and a wild finish to the drafting season. Jump in where you see an opening and take down the record $175,000 grand prize.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 100 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 pm

NOW ONLY 100 SPOTS LEFT IN THE 2022 MAIN EVENT!!!

Okay, today has convinced me that we are going to sell out the 2022 NFBC Main Event, our 18th straight sellout. We have sold out every Main Event Online league through Thursday, so next available league is Friday, April 1st. Get in now or miss out on a shot at the $175,000 grand prize.

Here we go.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 79 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:35 pm

I hope you're watching the countdown because it's headed toward 660 teams and a sellout. I feel confident about it now.

NOW ONLY 79 MAIN EVENT SPOTS LEFT IN THE 2022 NFBC MAIN EVENT!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Darik B

Re: 65 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Darik B » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:21 am

Now only 65 spots left in the 2022 NFBC Main Event. This is going to sell out everyone

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 60 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am

We now have 600 Teams In The 2022 NFBC Main Event!!!

60 guaranteed spots left until we sell this contest out for the 18th straight year!! Amazing comeback everyone. Now let’s close this baby out. 😃
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Darik B

Re: 49 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Darik B » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:39 pm

bump

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 43 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:32 pm

Over 30 Main Event signups today!!! And we're not done with the day. There's no doubt that we're getting to 660 teams and now we have to fill up the remaining leagues and cut off signups. It's time to move onto other contests once we fill up the remaining leagues.

Don't wait too long to join because once these final leagues are full, the 2022 NFBC Main Event will be closed.

It looks like an 18th straight sellout for the Main Event is coming!!! During a lockout. During a pandemic. Damn, that's impressive.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Darik B

Re: 33 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Darik B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 am

bump

Darik B

Re: 29 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Darik B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:55 pm

bump

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 29 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm

Darik B wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:55 pm
I see three leagues we can close out for a sellout!!! What day will we get that done by?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Darik B

Re: 20 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Darik B » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:21 am

bump

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 3 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:58 am

The NFBC has officially topped last year's total of 660 teams in the NFBC Main Event.

As of this morning, we have 663 teams entered into the 2022 NFBC Main Event, which would be a sellout for the 18th straight year. Amazing comeback this year everyone after the 99-day lockout. Just AMAZING!! :D

However, we're not officially SOLD OUT because we have three leagues that still need to get to a perfect 15 teams before becoming full. If we do fill those three leagues today or very soon, then we will finish with a total of 46 leagues and 675 teams, a new NFBC record for the Main Event.

Here's what we have left as we start the day, Saturday, April 2nd:

6 Spots Left - Tuesday, 8 pm ET Main Event Online
2 Spots Left - Wednesday, 10 pm ET Main Event Online
4 Spots Left - Thursday, 9 am ET Main Event Online

Once we close those three leagues out, then we can officially call it a SELL OUT!!!! But not quite yet. Thanks all and good luck in all your leagues this year. As of now, the NFBC wins COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!! :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Darik B

Re: 10 Spots Left In The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Darik B » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:43 am

Here we go:

3 Spots Left - Tuesday, 8 pm ET Main Event Online
2 Spots Left - Wednesday, 10 pm ET Main Event Online
2 Spots Left - Thursday, 9 am ET Main Event Online

Greg Ambrosius

Re: SOLD OUT: The 2022 NFBC Main Event

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:33 am

SOLD OUT: We officially Sold Out the 2022 NFBC Main Event at 11:33 am ET on Saturday, April 2nd. Yes, that's 5 days before Opening Day, but we exceeded expectations with 45 leagues and 675 teams!!!

Thanks all and best of luck in the battle for the record $175,000 grand prize!! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:15 pm

Man alive...congrats Greg! Has to be a huge monkey of the team's back. Exceeding expectations...what a rarity these days...you guys are working your assess off but have fun in Vegas anyway!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:25 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:33 am
SOLD OUT: We officially Sold Out the 2022 NFBC Main Event at 11:33 am ET on Saturday, April 2nd. Yes, that's 5 days before Opening Day, but we exceeded expectations with 47 leagues and 675 teams!!!

Thanks all and best of luck in the battle for the record $175,000 grand prize!! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! :D
I think you mean 45 leagues for 675. Anyways, i am thrilled about this consistent growth in the best event in fantasy sports! Each year there is more buzz surrounding this event, and The Wardog is glad to be a part of the main since 2013.

CONGRATS fellas!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:41 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:15 pm
Man alive...congrats Greg! Has to be a huge monkey of the team's back. Exceeding expectations...what a rarity these days...you guys are working your assess off but have fun in Vegas anyway!
Thanks Wayne. What a great community we have here in the NFBC. Sooooooooooooooo special.

Not only did we work our asses off, but we found time to enjoy every draft with the crowd and we even facilitated and auctioneered a lot of the live events. I wanted us to dive even deeper into the live events and we did just that in Las Vegas and New York City. What great fun.

Oh, and beer fill was the largest I can ever remember in Las Vegas!!! :lol: And it was worth every cent. :lol: Thanks all for a great season and don't forget: We're not done yet. Still several days of drafting left.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:43 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:25 pm
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:33 am
SOLD OUT: We officially Sold Out the 2022 NFBC Main Event at 11:33 am ET on Saturday, April 2nd. Yes, that's 5 days before Opening Day, but we exceeded expectations with 47 leagues and 675 teams!!!

I think you mean 45 leagues for 675. Anyways, i am thrilled about this consistent growth in the best event in fantasy sports! Each year there is more buzz surrounding this event, and The Wardog is glad to be a part of the main since 2013.

CONGRATS fellas!
Thanks Dan. Your math is correct. And to think my parents wanted me to be an accountant instead of a sports writer/photographer!! :shock:

It was great seeing you and you know about the buzz and electricity I was talking about in Las Vegas. And I know it hit home for you and others never to take these great moments for granted. I think the Las Vegas live events will break all records in 2023 for our 20th anniversary season. I need to secure big space for that one next year and it won't be easy with Vegas conventions revving up like never before. We're on it, but for now let's finish the 2022 season strong and get a few more sellouts with our other events. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius