1,610 Teams In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Greg Ambrosius

1,610 Teams In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:41 am

If there was one contest that was hurt the most from the 99-day MLB lockout, it was definitely the NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship. That's a contest that a lot of people jump into in the early months of the drafting season, get a feel for the player pool and have a chance to turn $175 into $75,000.

Our numbers were down during the slow draft season and it's tough to make them up during March and April when everyone is scheduling Main Event drafts and Rotowire Online Championship drafts. It's unlikely that we'll make it to the numbers we've hit each of the last two years -- 1,950 and 1,960 teams -- but we'll give it a shot anyway.

We just passed 1,250 teams last night, so we now have less than 700 spots left. But with only 6 drafting days left, things are looking good for those owners who already have teams because the ROI is better than expected. We are now paying the Top 2 teams in each league, including $350 to the league champion, and the $75,000 grand prize is guaranteed. Go crazy this weekend and you could turn $175 into $75,000.

Or better yet, let's make that $150 instead of $175 because we have a deal for you to push us toward a sellout.

From today through Sunday, you can buy any Cutline team for $25 and draft it anytime during the next 6+ days. This is only good for individual signups, so sign up for one team, use this promo code, hit Apply before checking out and you'll save $25:

Promo Code: [/b]ACUNA25[/b]

This offer is only good for the next 72 hours -- Friday through Sunday -- and you can apply it to multiple teams. And don't call me to say you just signed up for one yesterday for full price and now hate me. I'm not hearing it. We're trying to sell out this Cutline or at least get as close to a sellout as possible, so this discount is good for everyone, even if you signed up early. If we all want to keep this format going through good times and in bad times, then we need to push this discounted price this weekend and build this contest up again.

I'm convinced that in a normal year we'll get to over 2,000 teams for this format and beyond. There are a lot of people playing our Best Ball 12s this year, and that's great. The Best Ball scoring format is popular and the Cutline was the first format to perfect that scoring system. Now we just can't forget about the NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship, so it's time to pull out the $25 discount offer.

The Special Packages are still available and you can save more than $25 a team with one compliance fee if you go that route. But if you want $25 off per signup, then sign up individually, use the code above, hit Apply and join us for some great action over these last six days.

Thanks all and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 630+ Spots Left In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:09 am

We are well short of our goal of 1,950 teams in the 2022 NFBC Cutline Championship, so we'll keep our Opening Day offer available for 48 more hours.

If you want to compete in the 2022 NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship, we'll give you $25 off through today and tomorrow for any individual purchase made for a Cutline team. Just use this promo code:

ACUNA25

Enter that in Registration, hit Apply and watch $25 come off the purchase of any individual Cutline team. You can purchase teams for any of the last five days, but you must make the purchase by Sunday at 11:59 pm ET. When you are done with that, then turn $150 into the $75,000 grand prize because that baby is guaranteed.

We had 50+ signups yesterday in a good day, but we now have just over 1,300 teams and don't have enough time to sell this contest out. That's okay, we're headed in the right direction and we know that next year without a lockout we'll knock this one out of the park. Take advantage of the ROI this year, have fun and take home the $75,000 grand prize against a smaller field than expected.

Good luck everyone and now LET'S GET BUSY. Drafts are scheduled all weekend long from 1 pm ET to 11 pm ET. Let's go.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 590+ Spots Left In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:14 am

We had 50+ signups yesterday for the NFBC Cutline Championship and we're still far away from our goal of reaching last year's 1,960 teams. There's not enough time to fill another 60 leagues, so the ROI is going to be in your favor on this contest. There's no doubt that the 99-day lockout hurt this contest most of all, but we are still bullish on this Best Ball format and I think we'll finish strong.

This is the last day for the $25 discount and you can use on any team over the next four days. But you must secure those teams before midnight tonight. Use this promo code:

ACUNA25

Then hit Apply and $25 will come off every individual signup through today. Good luck all and enjoy this great format.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 520+ Spots Left In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 am

We had a nice push over the weekend thanks to our Weekend Special as we added another 170+ teams since Friday. We aren't going to sell out the NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship this year, but we're at least above water and now headed toward a better number. The ROI is definitely in your favor this year as we'll fall far short of our goal of 1,950 teams, so take advantage of the lower numbers and turn $175 into a cool $75,000.

Thanks all and best of luck in your drafts over the next 3 days.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 440+ Spots Left In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:25 am

The only national contest that is going to fall far short of our goals is the NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship. We just topped 1,500 teams last night with prizes based on 1,950 teams. We will likely fall 400+ teams short of goal.

I think the 99-day lockout affected this contest most of all because this is a contest where a lot of people draft earlier in the off-season, rather than waiting just before Opening Day to draft. Our number of slow draft leagues were down drastically and once the lockout ended a lot of players concentrated on the Main Event and Rotowire Online Championship.

We're still bullish on this contest and all of the prizes are guaranteed, including the $75,000 grand prize, and we believe this contest will grow and prosper again next year. Few changes, if any, will happen with this contest next year.

But for now, the ROI is in your favor and we also have a $25 promo code to help you along. Good luck everyone and enjoy the greater odds of winning this year's $75,000 grand prize.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 340 Spots Left In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:51 am

We finished the 2022 NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship season with 161 leagues and 1,610 teams. This was down from 1,950 teams in 2020 and 1,960 teams in 2021, but we'll blame most of this on the 99-day lockout. There's no doubt that we lost a lot of prime drafting nights for this contest in February and early March, so we'll hit reset next year.

This was the first year that the entry fee was $175, while paying the Top 2 spots in each league. We are now paying $350 to each league champion and $150 to each league runner-up, while guaranteeing the $75,000 grand prize. We hope that people like the Pay Top 2 in each league, but we'll gladly take your feedback here or via email. Was this the right move to make?

Thanks all and best of luck this season. This is the best ROI you'll get in the NFBC, so enjoy and make it count. Next year, we are selling this baby out again!! ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Frozen Tundra

Re: 1,610 Teams In The NFBC Best Ball Cutline Championship

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:05 pm

Definitely like paying the top two teams in each league. It makes sense that both teams which make the first cut should be rewarded. I think I had actually suggested that a couple of years ago. And there's no question that the lockout impacted cutline. I tried to schedule a few in early March and the times I wanted didn't get off the ground.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Tue May 10, 2022 6:12 am

First of all, I just want to say that I love the Best Ball format. It really makes the baseball season more enjoyable because I don't have to play GOD each week trying to predict weather patterns, 2 start pitchers, manager whims, injuries, paternity leave, etc. The Best Ball computer system only gives me those players who had the best stats for the week.

Speculating on why the Cutline sign-ups fell short this year:

1. When I pay full price for a team, I want a FULL season of baseball for those teams.

The reason that I don't like the Cutline version of the Best Ball format is that 50% of the teams get eliminated at the All-Star break.

So, basically, if your team(s) do not perform really well in the FIRST HALF of the baseball season, you have nothing to root for after the All-Star break and you are out the full money that you paid to buy those teams for what turned out to be just a 1/2 season of enjoyment.

So, even though your team(s) may have a great 2nd half of the baseball season, it doesn't matter because they might have been eliminated at the All-Star break.

That is a HUGE turn-off and the main reason I haven't played in the past couple of years.

2. DRAFTING: Having to focus mainly on the 1st half of the baseball season also comes into play when drafting. The Cutline format tends to force you to not draft potential call-up prospects because they may not get called up until after the All-Star break.

Instead, you have to draft players that you think might contribute right away in the first half of the season so that you can get past the All-Star break.

This takes away some of the fun and strategy of speculating on future call-ups who may not be called up before the All-Star break.

It also casts doubt on drafting injured players (Stephen Speilberg, Jacob DeGrom, etc.) who may not be active until after, or close to, the All-Star break.

Discouraging speculation on future call-ups or injured players is another BIG Cutline format turn-off.

The reason I came back to the NFBC this year was because the NFBC offered a Best Ball 12 Team format contest that would last the entire baseball season.

However, because there was no large grand prize offered for this contest that would have attracted a lot more people, I think that a lot of people who like the Best Ball format opted to go for the Cutline offering instead because of the large overall prize there.

Next year, if the NFBC adds a large grand prize to this Best Ball FULL-SEASON format, I think it would attract a lot more people who feel as I do about the Cutline format.

At least you wouldn't have to pay full price for a team(s) and then have to worry about being eliminated 1/2 way through the season at the All-Star break.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 10, 2022 7:55 am

Train, thanks for the feedback as we always appreciate all feedback on our contests.

When you run 7-8 national contests per sport with guaranteed prizes for each one, they all have to be different and unique. Oh, and you have to do your best to reach those guarantees for every contest or it's a financial mess. The Cutline format is definitely unique and it forced us to create a best ball scoring system and software for baseball, something nobody else in the industry had ever done before. Best ball is very common in football, but we were the first company to create a best ball format (with help from KJ Duke and Todd Zola) for baseball and I'm proud of this format.

And yes, we added private Best Ball 12 leagues for those owners who wanted to draft and be done for the full season and the numbers increased for that format. We don't have any plans to add a national championship at this point for a full season best ball contest, but we are glad that people enjoy that format and are winning good league prizes in that format.

As for speculating on why the Cutline sign-ups fell short this year, I can add one idea: THE 99-DAY MLB LOCKOUT DURING THE HEART OF THE CUTLINE DRAFTING SEASON!!!

I don't blame anyone for not drafting during this time, but once the lockout ended that gave folks 28 days to draft their remaining teams and the Cutline was about No. 4 on that list. People definitely spent their time drafting Main Event teams and Rotowire Online Championship teams and even Draft Champions teams. The Cutline missed out on a full drafting season and we realize that.

We had 1,960 Cutline teams in 2021 and 1,950 teams in 2020, so we aren't abandoning the Cutline format because we failed to make our goal in 2022. We'll keep the prize structure as is in 2023 and hope for a return to almost 2,000 teams.

And yes, I know you've commented before that you don't like the playoff format in the Cutline where half of the teams are eliminated at the All-Star break. I get it. It's not for everyone if you want Best Ball scoring for 27 MLB weeks. At the All-Star Break, your team just needs to be in the Top 5 of your league to keep advancing, but yes, this is a survivor-style format, so if it's not for you then I agree the Best Ball 12 format is the better option. You are right, it's possible that your team could have a good second half to win the league, but the All-Star break is like 15-16 weeks into the season and since it's best ball it's possible your team is what it is at the All-Star Break. Maybe not, but quite possibly.

It's not true that in the Cutline format that you just concentrate on First Half players. The goal is to win the $75,000 grand prize, so balancing a roster of veterans who will score every week early in the season mixed with prospects who could emerge later in the year is the key to winning. If you're not looking at the second half of the season when building your roster, then you're likely going for the league title and not the overall title. Just my two cents on that.

We believe in the Cutline format and we are offering Best Ball 12s for those who want to draft and be done as well. Two different formats. Two different prize formats. And if everyone leaves the Cutline format next year, then we'll re-assess our plans, but right now we are bullish on the Cutline and hope to have a record year in 2023 while offering a $75,000 grand prize again. And the Best Ball 12s will remain private leagues with only league prizes. Splitting up Best Ball overall prizes into smaller overalls doesn't make sense to us at this point, but time will tell if we're right or not.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck in all your leagues this year.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Wed May 11, 2022 6:14 am

Greg - The reason the Cutline is "popular" is because of 2 reasons:

1. It has Best Ball scoring

2. It has large overall prizes

If you had 2 competing contests such as the following:

CONTEST A:

1. Best Ball scoring
2. $75,000 grand prize
3. All teams compete for the full 162 game baseball season

CONTEST B:

1. Best Ball scoring
2. $75,000 grand prize
3. 50% of the teams are eliminated at the All-Star break.
I guarantee you that the vast majority of people would choose CONTEST A.

As far as drafting prospects and injured players in the Cutline format goes, I believe the Cutline format does discourage drafting prospects and injured players.

The reason being is that you want as many ACTIVELY producing players as you can get to make it past the All-Star break. Otherwise, you have a greater chance of your team(s) being eliminated from the contest at the All-Star break.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 am

You and the vast majority of people could be right and I could be wrong. We will figure it out before our 20th season in 2023.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 am

The more that I think about the example of CONTEST "A" vs CONTEST "B", if given a choice, I don't know if ANYONE would choose CONTEST "B".

Although I think that the NFBC has a great Best Ball system in place, that Best Ball system is being wasted in the Cutline format and could be so much bigger if it was utilized differently.

To me, it is disrespectful of people's hard-earned money that they give to the NFBC (especially in these times) to eliminate people's teams halfway thru the baseball season after they paid full price for those teams before the season started.

I am sure that there are many people who want to play in a Best Ball type of contest, but when they look at the Cutline format of 50% of the teams being eliminated at the All-Star break, they either move on and don't sign up or, only buy 1 or 2 teams.

I know that, if the NFBC decided to eliminate 50% of the teams at the All-Star break if a team wasn't in the top half of the league in your Main Event, RotoWire Online Championship, or Draft Champions contests, the NFBC would be out of business very quickly.

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:09 am

This will be my last post on this thread.

How unpopular is the Cutline format where 50% of the teams get eliminated at the All-Star break?

This year 1,610 teams signed up to play in the Cutline.

However, of those 1,610 teams, 459 of those teams were owned by the top 100 owners as of Wednesday, June 29, 2022 (see below).

That means that only 100 owners are responsible for 28.5% of the 1,610 teams.

I haven't done the calculations on the remaining 1,151 teams, but I have to believe that a good portion of those owners chose the 3-Team discount Cutline package.

So, maybe there are only about 400 different owners that make up the 1,610 Cutline teams.

Considering the relatively low price to purchase a Cutline team, that 400 different owners' number seems quite low to me for a Best Ball scoring system with only 2 FAAB dates and no setting of lineups for the entire Cutline baseball season.

The only possible reason that I can think of as to why the Cutline contest isn't more popular is because 50% of the teams get eliminated at the All-Star break (which also discourages speculating on the uncertain timetable for injured players and prospect callups because the #1 mandate of the Cutline format is to get past the All-Star break).

I really do love the Best Ball scoring system and it should be way more popular than it is in the NFBC, so I hope that the NFBC chooses a season-long different type of Best Ball contest to replace the Cutline next year.

BEST BALL CUTLINE CHAMPIONSHIP

WEEK 13: JUNE 29, 2022

TOP OWNERS RANKED: 1 - 100

TOTAL # OF TEAMS OWNED BY THE TOP 100 OWNERS

TEAMS 1 - 25 190 TEAMS OWNED
TEAMS 26 - 50 147 TEAMS OWNED
TEAMS 51 - 75 69 TEAMS OWNED
TEAMS 75 - 100 53 TEAMS OWNED

TOTAL TEAMS OWNED: 459

Rank - Teams Owned - Owner - Team - League

1 9 Jon Stadtmueller Texas Connection Best Ball Cutline Championship #1531
2 18 Eric Albright EA Sports C16 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1394
3 12 Bill Strickler Warning Track Power CL3 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1047
4 6 Bruce Carlson Carlson Best Ball Cutline Championship #766
5 3 Brad Tomaski Tom Emanski All Stars Best Ball Cutline Championship #797
6 Bill Strickler Warning Track Power CL2 Best Ball Cutline Championship #955
7 6 kc cha deadmoneyCL4 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1159
8 3 Tom Stevens Puppy Paws Best Ball Cutline Championship #1089
8 10 Gary Durbin Mome Raths Best Ball Cutline Championship #478
10 19 DAVID GRONSKY TAZ X Best Ball Cutline Championship #1021
11 Eric Albright EA Sports C3 Best Ball Cutline Championship #223
12 3 Tim Sansome Sansome CL.2 Best Ball Cutline Championship #742
13 36 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #980
14 1 WOOD LAY LAY Best Ball Cutline Championship #1529
15 6 Jaimes Salvi Salvi Best Ball Cutline Championship #1479
16 1 Jon Frye Frye Best Ball Cutline Championship #1617
17 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #1089
18 9 John Pausma JP CUT3 Best Ball Cutline Championship #867
19 21 Curtis Jones JonesCurtisW CL1 Best Ball Cutline Championship #66
20 6 Timothy Pamperin Pamperin Best Ball Cutline Championship #666
21 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #1001
22 8 Mike Burton Juiced Ball ERAs BBCL5 Best Ball Cutline Championship #980
23 Jon Stadtmueller Texas Connection Best Ball Cutline Championship #1510
24 13 Ian Hubbard Hubbard Best Ball Cutline Championship #1117
25 Ian Hubbard Hubbard Best Ball Cutline Championship #273
26 23 Brian Leigh BL Cutline 4 Best Ball Cutline Championship #119
27 Bill Strickler Warning Track Power CL6 Best Ball Cutline Championship #987
28 DAVID GRONSKY Tasmanian Devils Best Ball Cutline Championship #561
29 3 daniel HEDLER HEDLER Best Ball Cutline Championship #1616
30 1 Gregory Baker Baker Best Ball Cutline Championship #1358
31 3 MARK EPSTEIN EPSTEIN Best Ball Cutline Championship #1496
31 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #1581
31 10 Mike Ballschmiede optiBallX Best Ball Cutline Championship #1219
34 16 TYLER MCCORMICK Fighters of the Nightman Best Ball Cutline Championship #357
35 Timothy Pamperin Pamperin Best Ball Cutline Championship #651
35 3 Broc Miller 2022_175_2 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1001
37 4 GREGORY MILLER Warriors Uno Best Ball Cutline Championship #804
38 9 Joshua Dawalt DeWALT CL Best Ball Cutline Championship #462
39 22 Bob Catsiroumpas rho Best Ball Cutline Championship #1093
40 DAVID GRONSKY Each Hit Best Ball Cutline Championship #521
41 4 Vlad Sedler RotoCUT II Best Ball Cutline Championship #419
42 2 RICHARD DIMONDO Best Ball 2 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1612
43 33 Kenneth Morita Mean Machine CL18 84 Tre4J ** Best Ball Cutline Championship #1013
44 2 Mathew Reese Reese Best Ball Cutline Championship #1501
45 1 Christopher Saturno CSMD Cutline150 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1278
46 John Pausma JP CUT9 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1489
47 1 Mark Martin Martin Best Ball Cutline Championship #466
47 DAVID GRONSKY TAZ VI Best Ball Cutline Championship #791
49 10 Michael O'Brien WAR Games CL5 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1305
50 Curtis Jones JonesCurtisW CL8 Best Ball Cutline Championship #421
51 Bill Strickler Strickler Best Ball Cutline Championship #1545
52 3 Kristopher Carroll Triple Bees-2 Best Ball Cutline Championship #466
53 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #846
54 10 Robert Klein Klein CL08 R1 Best Ball Cutline Championship #371
55 6 Walid Makbul DNT GET CUT 1 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1049
56 1 TIMOTHY DAW DAWBERGS Best Ball Cutline Championship #1598
57 Eric Albright EA Sports C5 Best Ball Cutline Championship #289
58 Bob Catsiroumpas tau Best Ball Cutline Championship #1138
59 3 Jack Kitchen Lets Go Brandon! Best Ball Cutline Championship #1430
60 1 joseph salukas salukas Best Ball Cutline Championship #1068
61 Kenneth Morita Mean Machine CL7 98 Sho1 ** Best Ball Cutline Championship #734
62 2 Daniel Sexton Sexton Best Ball Cutline Championship #1542
63 6 Tom Zarogiannos EZ Boyz Combo Best Ball Cutline Championship #1581
64 1 Nick Cole The Three Caballeros Best Ball Cutline Championship #1039
65 RICHARD DIMONDO Best Ball Best Ball Cutline Championship #1001
66 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #1093
67 Bruce Carlson Carlson Best Ball Cutline Championship #707
68 15 Eric Heberlig Red Sox Best Ball Cutline Championship #1222
69 Brian Leigh BL Cutline 15 Best Ball Cutline Championship #723
69 13 Bryan Bevis Schonfish BB Cut3 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1101
69 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #594
72 6 Stephen Ruschak The Great Escape - CL6 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1209
72 2 Todd Tabers Coolwhip Best Ball Cutline Championship #226
74 Michael O'Brien WAR Games CL2 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1169
75 TYLER MCCORMICK Ankle Biters Best Ball Cutline Championship #437
76 2 Michael Cohen Cohen Best Ball Cutline Championship #1594
77 14 Jason Kufs Kufs Family Cutline 28 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1101
77 Timothy Pamperin Pamperin Best Ball Cutline Championship #999
79 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #521
79 Mike Ballschmiede optiBall1 Best Ball Cutline Championship #52
81 Kenneth Morita Mean Machine CL24 96 Sho2TJB** Best Ball Cutline Championship #1195
82 6 Cj Kaltenbach SeigeCut4 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1472
83 Kenneth Morita Mean Machine CL17 87 Tre3 ** Best Ball Cutline Championship #968
83 Bob Catsiroumpas beta Best Ball Cutline Championship #594
85 Joshua Dawalt DeWALT CL Best Ball Cutline Championship #226
86 9 Michael DeCavalcante The Achievers - CL 4 Best Ball Cutline Championship #419
87 John Pausma JP CUT6 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1047
88 Brian Leigh BL Cutline 20 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1380
89 Jack Kitchen Lets Go Brandon! Best Ball Cutline Championship #968
90 4 Kenneth Hazen Hazen Cutline 3 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1545
90 Eric Heberlig Bucks Best Ball Cutline Championship #848
92 Rian Lange Aggressive Mediocrity CL4 Best Ball Cutline Championship #594
93 4 Greg Glassman HFH4 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1590
94 DAVID GRONSKY EACH HITS Best Ball Cutline Championship #723
95 7 Max Margolis SAB Excelsior Best Ball Cutline Championship #716
96 kc cha deadmoneyCL5 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1282
97 6 Ray Pelleane Pete rose Best Ball Cutline Championship #723
97 1 Anthony Venuti Northern Rip Best Ball Cutline Championship #1417
99 Jason Kufs Kufs Family Cutline 29 Best Ball Cutline Championship #1133
100 Aaron Jones Jones Best Ball Cutline Championship #875

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:29 am

All you had to do was ask me for the number and I could have given it to you. There are 615 unique owners in the 2022 NFBC Cutline Championship, comprising 1,610 teams. That's less than 3 teams per owner.

Again, we sold out the Cutline Championship with 1,950 teams in 2020 and we sold out the Cutline Championship with 1,960 teams in 2021. Due to a 99-day lockout that affected a lot of prime drafting days for the Cutline in 2022, we finished with 1,610 teams.

If you feel that your 6th through 10th place teams at the All-Star Break are being cut short, we can likely add a Consolation Bracket for those teams to compete for small prizes after the All-Star Break. The "survivor-style" playoff format for the Cutline is unique and has been accepted by a lot of owners through the years and we aren't abandoning it anytime soon.

The BestBall12s have proven that people like a straight best ball format with no FAAB, 27 weeks of scoring and individual league prizes. We had 504 $150 Best Ball 12 teams this year that comprised 42 leagues and 396 $100 Double Up teams that comprised 33 leagues. Could the Best Ball 12s format move from private leagues to a national contest? Maybe, but then there'd be lower league prizes and a small grand prize until the format was proven. There's give-and-take with every decision we make and we continue to feel the Cutline Championship will survive and thrive with no lockout planned for 2023.

In a straight Best Ball season-long format, it's tough to catch the top teams after the All-Star Break. What the Cutline Championship format does is reset the scoring heading into the Championship Round and then resets it again after Round 1 and resets it again after Round 2. And teams from the Wild Card Tier are still in the hunt for the overall prize as well, so while you want continued scoring for those last 9-10 weeks, we are giving more teams a shot to win the $75,000 grand prize. If you finish in the Top half of your league at the All-Star break, you still have a realistic chance of winning the grand prize. However, in straight best ball scoring, I'm not sure you have any shot at the grand prize if you're 5th in your league and hundreds of points behind the leaders.

Again, what the hell do I know? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we'll offer both formats in a national contest format next year. Maybe we'll keep it the same way. We probably need to hear from more than me and you, but the feedback I've gotten so far is the Cutline format works and with a normal off-season it should grow. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius