2023 Is The NFBC's 20th Anniversary Season: WOW!!!

Greg Ambrosius

2023 Is The NFBC's 20th Anniversary Season: WOW!!!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:13 am

It's hard to believe, but it's been 20 years since I proposed an idea for a new contest to my publisher at Krause Publications. At the time, the World Championship of Fantasy Football (WCOFF) had already established this format in football, but nobody was doing baseball.

My publisher thought so much of the idea that he didn't respond for almost a year. WCOFF took my rules and started baseball and in the Fall of 2003 my publisher finally said he thought the idea was worthwhile and to give it a go. I made my official announcement about the National Fantasy Baseball Championship at the 2002 Arizona Fall League Symposium (thanks Ron Shandler) and the dream became reality.

Gene McCaffrey and John Menna came up to me after that announcement and said they were in. They loved the idea. Perry Van Hook said the same thing. Hmmm, I thought, I might have something here. Two teams and I only need 300? This seems easy.

Well, it wasn't. I had to hire STATS to build our web site and update existing software they had (it was for a Turner fantasy baseball game) for us to launch. We got our first official NFBC signup when Rey Diaz of Miami, Florida signed up for the 2004 Main Event mainly because I was giving away a free Alex Rodgriguez signed baseball. But we were off and running!!! And Rey still plays baseball and football today with us, which is pretty damn cool.

Anyway, we struggled to get 195 Main Event teams and three full AL and NL Auction Leagues between Las Vegas, New York and Chicago. We lost our ass that first year, but our division was above budget with our magazine publishing thanks to a custom publishing deal we started that year with other industry partners and because the Fantasy Sports Trade Conference was growing so fast. So we played a shell game with the NFBC finances and I was told I had "one more year" to make this NFBC/NFFC thing profitable.

Got it boss.

We went on to sell out the 2005 NFBC Main Event and had a good 2005 NFFC season and we've never looked back since. We have sold out the NFBC Main Event for 18 straight seasons and had over 21,000 teams in 2022. We expect another record season in 2023.

This upcoming season will be our 20th anniversary season and we'll announce the new record grand prize that we'll have in the NFBC Main Event once budgets are approved. We're excited about our 20th anniversary season and we are going to have all kinds of cool events around it. I want to reminisce about the early years with a lot of our veteran players and will do that on podcasts during the next several months. We also want to commemorate the year with a special logo and special apparel.

I posted this on another thread, but here's the info about the apparel:

We created NFBC 5th Anniversary baseball hats in 2008 and provided one to each of our original NFBC members. I still have mine today. We also created NFBC 10th anniversary baseball jerseys in 2013 and gave those to our remaining original NFBC members, while allowing others to purchase that model themselves if they wanted. I'm working with our vendor now to see if we can get some NFBC 20th anniversary apparel on our NFBC store website before the start of this season, so stay tuned. I hope we can get some nice product available for sale soon.

Anyway, this is our first unveiling of our 20th anniversary logo, using the original red-white-blue national colors we had in 2004. This will be our logo for the 2023 season:
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (107.41 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Now, are you ready for some baseball? Are you ready for our 20th anniversary season? Let's goooooooooooooo.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 2023 Is The NFBC's 20th Anniversary Season: WOW!!!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:23 pm

Thanks to Mike Massotto for hooking me up with a possible apparel vendor who might be able to help us with our 20th anniversary jerseys. I'm still working with them to create an online store and I'm barely functional when it comes to doing this, but I think I've found the right jersey and a new color for the 20th anniversary items.

Do you like this Royal blue? Let me know and I'll see what I can do online.

https://www.logosoftwear.com/mySavedDes ... 7cf975cf23

I think they look pretty cool. I'll look into baseball caps next.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:56 pm

The front looks great! Not sure about the black and yellow lettering on the back, though.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:28 pm

cfolson wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:56 pm
The front looks great! Not sure about the black and yellow lettering on the back, though.
The choices they have for the back are black, gold, black with gold trim and gold with black trim. You tell me what you like.

If I can customize this online store, you can pick any color of jersey you want, how you want the back and more. You can even type in the name you want on the back.

Now I haven't gotten to that point yet, but that's the goal. You buy what YOU want. And I'll look into other items as well. I'm just learning how to drive this site, so hold on.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:16 am

Take my money! 🤑

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:21 pm

I just started working on a new NFBC Store that we created with the recommendation coming from MTM. This looks like a pretty cool setup and the apparel looks top notch. Each of the items currently in the store have NFBC 20th Anniversary logos on them, but unfortunately the text is too small to stitch on the baseball caps. We'll likely get a regular NFBC logo just for the hats, so hang tight for those.

I just put nine examples of apparel in the store right now. If you want to see anything else in particular, let me know and I can set it up. But check out what we have right now and remember that you can customize each item to the color you want and the size you want by clicking on the Customize This Product link. I'm showing a lot of Royal blue items, but you can change to any color that they have.

On the jerseys, click on Back and you can add your name, team name or Message Board name on the back and even put the number of years you've been in the NFBC on the back. Customize those as you see fit and I hope to see a lot of people wearing those at the live events.

Okay, comments are welcome. Here's the new NFBC apparel store:

https://nfbc.logosportswear.com/
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Ready for the 2023 season!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm

cfolson wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:34 pm
Ready for the 2023 season!

I LIKE IT!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:11 pm

Very cool, Greg! Happy that it all worked out with them. Jersey looks great, but I'm not finding the muscle t-shirt option in the store. :shock: Please get on this. I'm planning on coming in extra buff and motivated this year. :mrgreen: And can anyone wear the royal blue, or is this just reserved for the elitist 20 year member club since I miss the cut off by a few years? :P
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:31 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:11 pm
Very cool, Greg! Happy that it all worked out with them. Jersey looks great, but I'm not finding the muscle t-shirt option in the store. :shock: Please get on this. I'm planning on coming in extra buff and motivated this year. :mrgreen: And can anyone wear the royal blue, or is this just reserved for the elitist 20 year member club since I miss the cut off by a few years? :P
Thanks for your help on the site. Yes anyone can order the Royal blue or whatever color they want. Just put number 19 since you first joined in 2005. It will go well with your number 9 black NFBC jersey!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:44 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:31 am
Baseball Furies wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:11 pm
Thanks for your help on the site. Yes anyone can order the Royal blue or whatever color they want. Just put number 19 since you first joined in 2005. It will go well with your number 9 black NFBC jersey!!

Was it 2005? I think it was '08, but please confirm for me. Wish I could have been in from Day 1 and started making your life that much more easy and fulfilling sooner than I have been all these years. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry