A 20th Anniversary Present For Our NFBC Charter Members

Greg Ambrosius

A 20th Anniversary Present For Our NFBC Charter Members

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:46 am

I've often said that the NFBC wouldn't be around today if not for the 195 players who signed up in 2004 to compete in our debut NFBC Main Event. We lost a lot of money that first year, but we never would have gotten off the ground without the faith and the foresight of 195 people who paid $1,250 each to play in the 2004 NFBC Main Event.

We had never run a fantasy baseball contest before. Our software was foreign to everyone and owned by STATS, Inc. Our rules were made up by me and never tested in a national contest before. It was a 15-team league format, which also had never been done in the industry before.

Yet, 195 brave souls trusted me/us enough to plunk down $1,250 each and come to live events in Las Vegas, New York City and Chicago. I will be forever indebted to those 195 people because they changed my life and honestly changed the fantasy baseball industry in a good way.

At the end of 2004, my boss said I had one more year to prove that this concept could work. Thankfully, many of those same 195 players came back in 2005 and we sold out the Main Event for the first time with 300 participants. We never looked back after that and have now sold out the Main Event 18 straight years. We had total revenue for baseball and football in 2004 of about $700,000 and now 19 years later we'll give away almost $10 million in prize money in 2022 alone.

That's crazy.

In 2008 for our 5th anniversary season, we gave baseball caps to all of our remaining NFBC Charter Members with their names or Message Board names inscribed on the back. In 2013 for our 10th anniversary season, we gave away black NFBC baseball jerseys with the players' names on the back with the number 10. Other members could also order their own jerseys with whatever number they wanted on the back that year.

So now for our 20th anniversary season, it's time to take care of our remaining Charter Members once again. We have created our own NFBC store at https://nfbc.logosoftwear.com/ and would like to purchase one item for each of our remaining 38 Charter Members. Ideally, we can hand the merchandise to our Charter Members in New York City or Las Vegas, but we'll discuss all of that in a bit.

First of all, go to our store at https://nfbc.logosoftwear.com/

1. Click on the NFBC Jersey link to look at that item.
2. To the right, click on "Customize This Product"
3. Click on "Product and Color" to look at the various colors of jerseys available
4. Under Location (to the left), click on B for Back. Then edit line 1 with the name you want on there. You can also click on the color and the T to change the color and font style of the type and number you want on the back of your jersey.
5. Pick a size of jersey that you want (or just let me know)
6. Click on Update Changes and save that image.

If you want a different item, like a baseball cap, a polo shirt or sweatshirt, let me know. We'll get you what you want. It's the least we can do for 20 years of loyalty to the NFBC. But save the details of what you want on the jersey and send to me at some point and I'll order everything.

I will send out an email to each of the 39 Charter Members and we can work out the shipping privately. But my goal is to order as many of these at one time as possible and bring many of them to New York City and Las Vegas. I'd love to have a sea of Royal Blue 20th Anniversary jerseys at the live events and I'd love to see other NFBC members wearing them with the number of years they've been in the NFBC as well. Would be cool.

Anyway, I'll make this work somehow. Here's the list of 38 players who were with us at the live events in Year One and who have been in the Main Event every year or most every year since. If they return to the Main Event in 2023, they will get a FREE 20th Anniversary item plus the chance to win our record $200,000 grand prize.

What a deal!!!

Thanks all for 20 years of fun. We've made some history together during this run.

NFBC Charter Members From 2004 Who Still Competed in the NFBC Main Events in 2022 and All 19 Years:
1. Dohn Terrell Jr. (Jim Christie)
2. Michael Cameron
3. Andrew Nolan
4. Emmett Ruland (Michael Cohen)
5. Todd Zola
6. David Longood
7. Scott Zeidman
8. Rey Diaz
9. Bradley Shairson
10. Shawn Childs
11. Wayne Edwards
12. KJ Duke
13. Kenneth Magner
14. Clark Olson
15. Artie Rastelli
16. John Rundle
17. Patrick Tremaglio (Kevin Sullivan)
18. Eddie Gillis
19. Glenn Schroter
20. Paul Weber
21. Leonard Ringle
22. Eric Price (Nick Cassavetes)
23. Michael Edelman
24. Kevin Grady
25. Lenny Diveglio
26. Ray Murphy
27. Martin Bedell
28. Stephen Jupinka
29. Ari Benjamin
30. David Cushard
31. Phillip McDonald
32. Greg Morgan (Dale Morgan)
33. George Kleemann
34. Greg Glukhovsky
35. Chris Liss
36. Mark Srebro
37 Joe Thelen
38. Scott Fleming
39. Win Murray
40. Doug Jaffe (missed 2022)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Re: A 20th Anniversary Present For Our NFBC Charter Members

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:41 am

Greg, I want to participate, but haven't got or missed your email to work out the shipping. Is there anything I need to do at this stage?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:00 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:41 am
Greg, I want to participate, but haven't got or missed your email to work out the shipping. Is there anything I need to do at this stage?
Wayne, don't order it yet. Just email me the details of the size, name on back, number, color of jersey and lettering and then I'll order it and bring it with me to Las Vegas for you. I'll order everything in late February and bring them to everyone who is attending the live events.

So maybe screenshot the image with details and send to [email protected] and I'll take care of the rest. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:36 pm

As always, thanks Greg! I have sent the email. I do not think I put the size. It is 3XL...Omar the Tentmaker has my sizes!

Wayne
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer