SOLD OUT: NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League

CC's Desperados

SOLD OUT: NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:13 am

The fast-moving NFBC and multiple seasons with issues (Covid, No Canadian Players in Vegas, and a possible lockout) led to the demise of the single auctions leagues. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are chock-full of exciting events in the City of Sin and skin, leaving the dinosaurs pining for spots to keep their AL and NL auction passions alive.

There are auction players out there with HIGH HOPES that we can salvage these classic formats. In the end, it comes down to three things:

-Is there enough interest for the AL or NL auctions (hopefully both)?
-Can we create a spot on Thursday or even another day to run these events live in Vegas?
-If scheduling or finding space to host the events is a problem, is an online option viable?

Please post any thoughts or ideas here, along with your name, if you have any interest.

KJ Duke

Re: 2023 AL and NL $1,500 Auctions

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:45 pm

I might have interest in NL on Friday, seems that's where they used to be.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:16 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:45 pm
I might have interest in NL on Friday, seems that's where they used to be.
Friday is no longer an option.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:36 pm

I won't be in until later Thurs so that wouldn't work.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:38 am

I was probably more bummed that anyone when the word first came out that the Only auctions would no longer be happening. These were what first attracted me to the NFBC a number of years ago and was my primary purpose in making the Vegas trip each year.

I had already reached out to Greg and we traded some emails on it. I completely understand where he’s coming from in that these were late to fill in recent years, or in the case of AL didn’t fill at all. With other national contests to worry about, and space being limited and expensive at the hotels, it was not worth it to hold space for leagues that may or may not fill at all. I had been hoping that this year they would be quicker to fill being the first time in three years without Covid concerns or a potential work stoppage. I had also thrown out the idea of making both of these leagues available to be drafted online, thinking the software could now accommodate it. But was told there were programming issues that would need to be address and it didn’t seem like they wanted to go down that road.

So, I was resigned to these leagues being a thing of the past until I connected last week with Shawn. We decided to at least throw it out on the message board to see what others thought. I would be open to whatever if it would result in saving these leagues. While having them back to back on Friday was the ultimate dream day, I do know the mixed leagues have slowly started to pull away some of the participants. Is Thursday a realistic possibility? We could likely do one of the leagues at night, perhaps later after the 4:00 drafts. Sunday could be an option to have both leagues though it would require people extending their stay and heading back Monday. And I would still love to have doing these online considered as an option. I’ll be curious to hear what others think.

I just recently turned 50 and from reading Shawn’s post it hit me that I am now officially a Dinosaur!

thundherd

Post by thundherd » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:06 pm

I would be interested in both auctions either in person or online.

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:16 am

I might be interested but I'm full up in Vegas so if you decided to do one on line I might enter. My first few years in Vegas I was a regular for these pools. I will follow the comments to see if it is viable. Al Holmes (Thurman15)
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:18 am

Thanks for starting this thread Shawn. The AL-only and the NL-only auction leagues have a special spot in our hearts because in 2004 we launched the NFBC with the Main Event and the $1,250 AL-only and NL-only auction leagues. That was it.

We had Meat Loaf in the Las Vegas $1,250 NL-only auction league and Brady Tinker did his very first auction as auctioneer in the $1,250 AL-only auction league. Brady struggled at the beginning and he needed a little talking to from yours truly, but he took my advice to heart and has been the best auctioneer in the industry since!!! (Advice: keep it moving and make sure you're in charge!!)

But we also know that interest in these "only" leagues has also been waning and now with such a full schedule it's tough to hold these live. We haven't filled an AL-only league since 2019 and we've filled the NL-only auction league the last two years, but only because I was on the phone with someone each year. We aren't doing that again.

So I don't think we can do these live. We don't have convention space until 3 pm on Thursday and the schedule is jam packed each day.

So let's consider an online option. I will talk to our IT department tomorrow, but early indications are that we can do it online if there's enough guys willing to do it that way. We host $1,500 Mixed Auction leagues online and they go very smoothly. However, this is definitely an older group who likes these "only" leagues, so it might be tougher to fill these online.

That being said, come to a consensus on what date and time you want and we'll add it to Registration. I can email all past players with the plan and we'll see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I always say.

Sound good? It's an option, so let's see what comes of it. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm

Greg … THANK YOU. Thank you for giving these leagues a chance. I’d love to think that we could fill both an NL and AL Only league by making them available online. It now would make them available to potential new players that haven’t been able to travel to Vegas as well as the many players that have focused their Fridays in Vegas on the Mixed auctions. Shawn and I and a few others will look into some possible dates this week and circle back with you. If anyone else has any input or would like to express an interest in participating (whether you’re a current player or a new one) please respond on this thread. Thanks again … Dave

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:42 am

Okay, we have added an Online $1500 AL-only Auction League and an Online $1500 NL-only Auction League. They are both before the live events and both using our Online Auction software. We will run them if we can fill them up.

Here's the dates and look for both on Registration now:

NL Only - Sunday, March 12, 7 pm ET
AL Only - Tuesday, March 14, 7 pm ET
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:43 am

Okay, the dates have been set for the first ever NFBC Online AL-Only and NL-Only Auction Leagues. We'll keep the signup list posted here and we'll shut these leagues off Registration once they are sold out. Let's do it and make this an annual online tradition.

Here's the current signup lists:

NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League
Sunday, March 12th, 7 pm ET
Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Harvey Cohen
7. Mike Duggan
8. Brian Ogan
9. Seth Poppel (incoming)
10. Craig Enochs (if it started at 8 pm ET)

NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League
Tuesday, March 14th, 7 pm ET
Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:01 pm

Okay, we are halfway there on the NFBC $1500 AL-only Online Auction League. Let's keep both of these moving forward.

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Mike Duggan (coming in)

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

sethpoppel

Post by sethpoppel » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:21 am

Greg, I am definitely a GO for the March 12 NL-Only $1500 auction. Please hold a spot. As you know I need to work through a "logistics" issue, but will make sure it gets done no later than February 19. Look forward to it!

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:20 am

Awesome, Seth. We're getting close in NL Only. My signups show that Harvey is also in so that would get us to 8/12. Need a little push with AL Only however.

Last weekend I reached out to as many industry LABR and Tout participants from the Only leagues, but unfortunately so few of them have their DMs open. I was able to connect with about 8 or so and 5-6 are interested. It would be great to get the word out to the 30-35 others that I was unable to reach. I know there's been little interest in the past from the industry folks, but I think this year could be different since we are having them online. Does anyone have the ability to contact them? I think some would sign up if they knew about it. Just have to get the word out to them. There are also a few people from our past only leagues that are interested but just haven't signed up.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:47 am

sethpoppel wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:21 am
Greg, I am definitely a GO for the March 12 NL-Only $1500 auction. Please hold a spot. As you know I need to work through a "logistics" issue, but will make sure it gets done no later than February 19. Look forward to it!
Sounds good Seth. That would make 8 for the NL-Only league. I'll email the past participants again soon to see if we can sell this one out, but this is what the signup list looks like right now:

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Harvey Cohen
7. Mike Duggan
8. Seth Poppel (incoming)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 3 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:36 am

Okay, we're gaining some momentum now in the NFBC $1500 NL-only Online Auction League. Brian Ogan is back and he would join the AL league if we got enough for that one. Seth Poppel will be signing up soon and Craig Enochs is flying back home from a vacation that day and can join the NL if it starts an hour later than planned.

I told Craig we'd keep him in mind. As you know, he always does this league with his son and would love to join again.

Anyway, here's the updated signup list and there is some momentum now to get at least one of these full. Keep spreading the word everyone.

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Harvey Cohen
7. Mike Duggan
8. Brian Ogan
9. Seth Poppel
10. Alan Holmes
11. Wayne Winter
12. Craig Enochs (if it started at 8 pm ET)

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
5. Brian Ogan (if needed)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 2 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:56 pm

NOW ONLY 2 SPOTS LEFT in the NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League that is set for three weeks from today. Let's fill this one:

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Harvey Cohen
7. Mike Duggan
8. Brian Ogan
9. Seth Poppel
10. Alan Holmes
11. Craig Enochs (if it started at 8 pm ET)

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

sethpoppel

Re: 2 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League

Post by sethpoppel » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:59 am

Greg, My schedule would allow for a later start if other owners can do that also, so Craig could make it in; however these days with air travel, (since I gathered he is coming in from a trip) 8 PM could very easily turn into 9 PM; which could become an issue; however fine here, as it will just be close to dinner time here in the Pacific Northwest.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 1 Spot Left: NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:38 am

NOW ONLY 1 GUARANTEED SPOT LEFT IN THE NFBC $1500 NL-ONLY ONLINE AUCTION LEAGUE!!!

Next one in fills this one up. Who's ready to join these folks online? Thanks all and good luck.

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Harvey Cohen
7. Mike Duggan
8. Brian Ogan
9. Seth Poppel
10. Alan Holmes
11. Wayne Winter

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: SOLD OUT: NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:19 am

SOLD OUT: Okay, we did it. The NFBC $1500 NL-only Online Auction League is now full and we're ready to go. Thanks to everyone who kept at it and forced us to offer this online. I'm glad we were able to fill it and we'll run it each year as long as demand exists.

Here's the final lineup card:

Pay Top 3
1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Jason Gill
4. Jeff Devoto
5. Shawn Childs
6. Harvey Cohen
7. Mike Duggan
8. Brian Ogan
9. Seth Poppel
10. Alan Holmes
11. Wayne Winter
12. KJ Duke

We still have time to fill the NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League. We still have some work to do, but here's the date/time and current signup list:

Pay Top 3

1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
5. Lopi Asch
6. Jason Gill
7. Brian Ogan (if needed)

Thanks all and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Re: SOLD OUT: NFBC $1500 NL-Only Online Auction League

Post by COZ » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:47 am

And they said the dinosaurs are extinct...pfffttt. 8-)
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Philly High Hopes

Re: 6 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:55 pm

Thanks again Greg for making these available and giving us the chance to fill them. And thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. Just a little work left to go to fill AL. Can’t wait for the draft days.

56148A07-F5A3-4015-B98A-C88AA73CC79F.jpeg
56148A07-F5A3-4015-B98A-C88AA73CC79F.jpeg (174.39 KiB) Viewed 7143 times

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 6 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:09 am

NOW ONLY 6 SPOTS LEFT in the debut NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League. Now that we've filled the NL-only Online Auction League it's time to get serious about this one.

At one time, we filled TWO AL-only Auction Leagues. I'll send an email to all past participants to see if we can get this one filled. Brian Ogan will jump into this one if we get to 11, so let's find five more participants. Who's ready to join this group in a couple of weeks?

Pay Top 3

1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
5. Lopi Asch
6. Jason Gill
7. Brian Ogan (if needed)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 4 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:07 pm

NOW ONLY 4 SPOTS LEFT in the debut $1500 NFBC AL-Only Online Auction League. Philip Glukhovsky is back and ready to win this title. He loves the AL-only format.

Okay, here we go:

Pay Top 3

1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
5. Lopi Asch
6. Jason Gill
7. Philip Glukhovsky
8. Brian Ogan (if needed)

Can we find four more owners to compete in one of the toughest auction formats in the industry? Let's do it.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 3 Spots Left: NFBC $1500 AL-Only Online Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:40 pm

NOW ONLY 3 SPOTS LEFT in the debut $1500 NFBC AL-Only Online Auction League. Longtime player Michael Delgado is making his schedule work to compete again in this great league. Let's keep the momentum going everyone.

Okay, here we go with the latest signup list:

Pay Top 3

1. Stephen Marshall
2. Dave Smith
3. Daniel Ostas
4. Shawn Childs
5. Lopi Asch
6. Jason Gill
7. Philip Glukhovsky
8. Michael Delgado
9. Brad Miller
10. Brian Ogan (if needed)
11. KJ Duke (semi-interested)

Can we find three more owners to compete in one of the toughest auction formats in the industry? Let's do it.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius