BREAKING NEWS: FAAB Can Now Be Done On One Page

Greg Ambrosius

BREAKING NEWS: FAAB Can Now Be Done On One Page

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:59 am

Today we are excited and proud to unveil our latest update to our Free Agent software. We are calling this announcement BREAKING NEWS because we really believe this latest addition is going to be a game changer for anyone who has multiple FAAB teams in the NFBC/NFFC/NFBKC/NFHC.

This is an idea that was presented to us by one of our customers, Wayne Ellis. He wondered if there was a way to manage all of your FAAB teams on one page. Our Pending FAAB page was an improvement, he said, but it was still tough to manage multiple teams from that page. He wondered, was there any way to manage all of your teams using all of the FAAB tools from that one page?

Hmmm, it seemed like a great idea, but I wasn't sure if we could do it. We presented the idea to our IT team and sure enough they said it was possible and that they could have it done before the baseball season. There was then another suggestion to allow you to create separate lists so that instead of importing all of the players from your Player Watchlist that you could be more specific for each team.

Sure enough, that was done as well. All of this is now in your hands, thanks to our great IT team. It really is a HUGE improvement and I guarantee that it will save you hours and hours of FAAB time this season.

Darik and I created a video today to show you how this works and you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74PFV2kHnKE

Again, learn two things right now:

1. Player Watchlist - Learn how to add free agents you may want in ANY of your leagues and add them throughout the week.

2. Pending FAAB page - Once you have a good Player Watchlist, this is the page that you'll be able to edit, add and cut all players from. You won't have to go into individual league FAAB pages anymore if you do the Player Watchlist right. All the tools for Sunday's work will be on this one page.

Check out the video and please give us feedback on this latest addition. And if you have any further suggestions, let us know. All of these upgrades came from customer suggestions, so keep 'em coming. We have the best FAAB system in the industry and if we can still improve it even further we will. Thanks all and enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Re: BREAKING NEWS: FAAB Can Now Be Done On One Page

Post by Philippe27 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:51 am

Love this Greg, big improvement with the new labels.

Two more suggestions for you that I think would make this even better:
1. The ability to set a bid amount on the watch list or manage labels page that can then be imported to all leagues. This would allow to make one list of pitchers, ranked from best to worst with bids already set and then copy that to all leagues where I need a pitcher. I can then adjust all bid manually if needed but it's easier to adjust a number you already set than all 1 dollar bids.

2. I'd love to be able to import a watch list from Excel like we can do for the draft room with our own rankings and even better if we can import the labels as well. I know the dinosaurs :lol: add players throughout the week to their watchlist but a lot of us do the work in Excel throughout the week. We would love to be able to transfer that to the watchlist with a couple of clicks rather than having to search every player manually to add them to the watchlist.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:51 am

1. The ability to set a bid amount on the watch list or manage labels page that can then be imported to all leagues. This would allow to make one list of pitchers, ranked from best to worst with bids already set and then copy that to all leagues where I need a pitcher. I can then adjust all bid manually if needed but it's easier to adjust a number you already set than all 1 dollar bids.

2. I'd love to be able to import a watch list from Excel like we can do for the draft room with our own rankings and even better if we can import the labels as well. I know the dinosaurs :lol: add players throughout the week to their watchlist but a lot of us do the work in Excel throughout the week. We would love to be able to transfer that to the watchlist with a couple of clicks rather than having to search every player manually to add them to the watchlist.
Thanks Phil. I will forward to IT and see what they say.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:43 am

Great stuff. Best FAAB system out there by a mile. One Page view for tweeking/bidding process is huge. But a One Page view of Available Free Agents listed by position juxtaposed against your own roster would be the Holy Grail. Often deciding whether or who to drop is the toughest decision each week and having your own players listed amongst the available FAs would significantly aid in the process. Whether or not this is even possible is another question. A visual of what I have in mind would be like what Fantasy Pros uses for their Fantasy Football Free Agent Cheat Sheets:
waivers-cheat-sheet.gif
waivers-cheat-sheet.gif (33.87 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:23 pm

Philippe27 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:51 am

An update: We have talked about these in our meetings with IT and they make sense. The one concern with adding the bid amounts on the watch list is that on mobile that really pushes that area out. We want to manage the increased data without harming the look and effectiveness on mobile. But we'll keep looking at this idea. We're still discussing the import watch list as well.

For now, we see these as Enhancements 2.0, something we can add down the road. Keep the ideas coming and we'll continue to analyze all of them. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:02 pm

I hope people have had time to play with the new FAAB setup, but if not I think we will offer a tutorial when we are in Las Vegas. I've asked Darik to lead a tutorial on Saturday after the Main Event where we can quickly show you the quick features we've added. Maybe we can even do one on Thursday and Friday.

We want everyone to save time this year with FAAB and if we have to personally show you how this works we will do it. Look for more details before the Las Vegas live events, but we'll put Darik's examples on a big screen, walk everyone through the process and take questions at those times. If it helps just one person, it will be time well spent.

Plus there will be beer nearby, so it's not a bad waste of time!!! :lol: We'll get this done while we're in Las Vegas, so plan accordingly. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:02 pm
I hope people have had time to play with the new FAAB setup, but if not I think we will offer a tutorial when we are in Las Vegas. I've asked Darik to lead a tutorial on Saturday after the Main Event where we can quickly show you the quick features we've added. Maybe we can even do one on Thursday and Friday.

We want everyone to save time this year with FAAB and if we have to personally show you how this works we will do it. Look for more details before the Las Vegas live events, but we'll put Darik's examples on a big screen, walk everyone through the process and take questions at those times. If it helps just one person, it will be time well spent.

Plus there will be beer nearby, so it's not a bad waste of time!!! :lol: We'll get this done while we're in Las Vegas, so plan accordingly. Thanks.

I think this is a great idea. 8-)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:24 am

Wonderful...count me in as a student!

I wonder...if my teachers in school had also offered beer, would I have attended more classes?

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:40 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:24 am

I wonder...if my teachers in school had also offered beer, would I have attended more classes?
Pretty sure that would've been illegal.

Even back in our day :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:22 pm

I know you're going to love the new Pending FAAB page this year during Sundays, but we're also working on one other feature that could save you a lot of time when you're trying to set your starting lineups. I think this will be even more helpful for our NFFC owners who have even more teams than our most die-hard NFBC owners.

We are creating a second Set Lineup page that will be a separate link from our current Set Lineup page. This one looks like the Roster page with all your players spread out horizontally under their current positions (1B, 2B, etc.). All of your teams will be on one page and we'll have an Edit button where you can edit your starting lineups all from that one page, similar to the Pending FAAB page.

What this will do is allow you to more quickly take out a player on Monday night, let's say, if you hear about an injury just before the first games of the night. Let's say Fernando Tatis goes on the IL late Monday afternoon and you know you have him on 6 teams. From this new Set Lineup page, you'll be able to quickly find him on each team, click the Edit button for each team and never leave this page while quickly updating your roster for all six teams.

Currently, you'd have to find out which teams you have him on and then go individually into each Set Lineup page and make the changes. This new page will more easily allow you to search for him (similar to an Excel spreadsheet) and then go right to those rosters from this page.

Every minute counts and we hope this helps people who have multiple teams. Again, in football where owners have even more teams, this could be a life-saver on Sunday mornings after the inactive lists come out.

This is something we want to test early in the season, so it won't be available right away. We don't want anything to slow down our current Set Lineup page, so let us test this the first few months and then hopefully we can unveil it during the season. It's a new feature that was requested by one of our owners and we thought it made sense. Now we have to make sure it works easily.

We're trying to save you time and make your in-season job easier. Keep the suggestions coming and thanks everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:35 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:22 pm
I know you're going to love the new Pending FAAB page this year during Sundays, but we're also working on one other feature that could save you a lot of time when you're trying to set your starting lineups. I think this will be even more helpful for our NFFC owners who have even more teams than our most die-hard NFBC owners.

We are creating a second Set Lineup page that will be a separate link from our current Set Lineup page. This one looks like the Roster page with all your players spread out horizontally under their current positions (1B, 2B, etc.). All of your teams will be on one page and we'll have an Edit button where you can edit your starting lineups all from that one page, similar to the Pending FAAB page.

What this will do is allow you to more quickly take out a player on Monday night, let's say, if you hear about an injury just before the first games of the night. Let's say Fernando Tatis goes on the IL late Monday afternoon and you know you have him on 6 teams. From this new Set Lineup page, you'll be able to quickly find him on each team, click the Edit button for each team and never leave this page while quickly updating your roster for all six teams.

Currently, you'd have to find out which teams you have him on and then go individually into each Set Lineup page and make the changes. This new page will more easily allow you to search for him (similar to an Excel spreadsheet) and then go right to those rosters from this page.

Every minute counts and we hope this helps people who have multiple teams. Again, in football where owners have even more teams, this could be a life-saver on Sunday mornings after the inactive lists come out.

This is something we want to test early in the season, so it won't be available right away. We don't want anything to slow down our current Set Lineup page, so let us test this the first few months and then hopefully we can unveil it during the season. It's a new feature that was requested by one of our owners and we thought it made sense. Now we have to make sure it works easily.

We're trying to save you time and make your in-season job easier. Keep the suggestions coming and thanks everyone.
This is great. Is there room to list the players teams on that page? With last minute ppd games, that would be a huge help.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:03 pm

With one week of FAAB now complete we'd love to get some feedback on the new FAAB tools. Feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions for any further improvements you'd like to see.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:55 am

I'm curious to know if anyone is using the Player Watchlist and Pending FAAB page more because of the new improvements to the software. We're trying to save you time on Sundays and during the week when it comes to Free Agents, so any feedback is helpful to us and our programmers.

Darik did give a tutorial in Las Vegas and there were a couple of owners who saw it, loved it and said they totally understood how it would save them time. There were also other owners who said they are so used to going into each league individually and making sure they weren't missing any available free agents that they likely wouldn't use the new features. We get it, but we really think that loading in the Player Watchlist during the week is the key time saver and you can always go into each league individually later to make sure you didn't miss anyone.

Hopefully everyone is using the Pending FAAB page more often because that's where you make a final check of your pickups and the bid amounts, but now you can edit every single team from that one page. Keep trying out these new features and if they save you any time at all they are a help. We're curious to know how you're using them, so we welcome any and all posts. It will help us understand how your Sunday's are going and how we can continue to help ease your burden on those FAAB days. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:54 pm

Since u asked for feedback…
When it comes to FAAB, first on my list is needing to look at every faab league to determine available players to add to my universal watch list. Unless I’m missing something, NFBC has not offered a solution to this. My suggestion is an interface where u can view/download all free agents in whatever leagues u decide/filter (along with relevant stats available on faab pages) which would then allow you to add players to your watch list.

Also, I just clicked “Download” on the faab page for a main event league. Why in the world does the downloaded list contain 2,526 player names (including minor leaguers never drafted like Zac Veen)?? I thought this was supposed to be available free agents??

Equally non-user-friendly, if I apply filters to show on the screen faab pitchers with their stats for the last 7 days showing and then hit “Download”, the downloaded list is the same 2,526 player names?!? Imagine using fangraphs and setting up a custom filter and then downloading it and discovering your download spits out rubbish u didnt ask for. That’s what’s happening here.

I’ve asked for these issues to be addressed over the offszn; however, it does not appear anything was done. hopefully i'm missing something

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:30 am

another faab period where the "Download" button on the main event "Free Agents" page 'downloads' over 2,500 players (including minor leaguers never drafted as well as players that are NOT free agents). :oops:

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:23 pm

It's very old code and the person that did it is long gone. We'll get it figured out (we've already gotten through some of the incorrect logic today); should be ready to use AND league-specific within a day or two. Hang tight.

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:46 pm

OK, we should be pretty good now. Might have to find/adjust another small incorrect logistical nugget or two, but we should be close now. Player pool per download trimmed way down and should be league-specific. This must be done from the FAAB room, though. Player Stats module going to show everyone still.

If you see any other little things, please let us know here or email me: [email protected]

Thanks.

D

Brian Jenner

Post by Brian Jenner » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:24 pm

It's now showing players available in the league only, but it doesn't show players that are already owned. I like to compare for each league what's available vs the guys I already have on my teams. Is there a way to get the "Owner" column back and include all those players? Currently I'm just downloading from both the Free Agent page (available players) and the Players List page (which includes the players already on my team), for every league, every Sunday, and combining them together so I know both who is available, and who I already have, on the same spreadsheet. But that's not ideal.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am

Brian Jenner wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:24 pm
It's now showing players available in the league only, but it doesn't show players that are already owned. I like to compare for each league what's available vs the guys I already have on my teams. Is there a way to get the "Owner" column back and include all those players? Currently I'm just downloading from both the Free Agent page (available players) and the Players List page (which includes the players already on my team), for every league, every Sunday, and combining them together so I know both who is available, and who I already have, on the same spreadsheet. But that's not ideal.
So the request was made above by Gekko to only list available free agents in each league, making the download as efficient as possible. I think we trimmed that list from about 2,500 players to 800 players. That's why you don't see a team owned column there anymore. The entire player pool with team owned is in Player Stats, but it includes THE ENTIRE available player pool. You can find that info there.

It's always tough to customize this exactly the way every single person wants it, but it did make sense to trim the available free agent page and to still keep every single available free agent with team owned on Player Stats. Hope that explains what you're seeing now. If people don't like it this way, let us know but we do think it makes downloading your free agent lists much more efficient now. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:43 am

Yes, limiting that download button to only free agents makes sense and is a big time saver for me. Thank you NFBC

If u could tweak the stats that download to be consistent with what displays on the free agent page, that would be appreciated. For example why is Games Started available on the faab page, but not on the download?

Thank you!!