Simple explanation of injured veteran FAAB eligibility?

Deadheadz

Simple explanation of injured veteran FAAB eligibility?

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:40 pm

Please forgive my stupidity but I’ve never seen a simple explanation of the rule…so please reply as if you’re talking to a non-fantasy player

My example:
Walker Buehler is a veteran player who will not have played a game by the time of the first in-season FAAB run. Will he be available to stash or must he have been drafted then dropped to be available?

I’ve read the rule and then found out later I misunderstood it so please don’t just quote the rule. Please say if the undrafted player needs to play a game before he’s available in FAAB or if he’s exempt because he’s a veteran injured player.

Thanks for your understanding
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Darik B

Re: Simple explanation of injured veteran FAAB eligibility?

Post by Darik B » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:28 pm

Everyone in the player pool is available on the first FAAB run...March 26th. If your draft is done by then, you can FAAB anyone. No games have been played yet.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:46 pm

Darik B wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:28 pm
Everyone in the player pool is available on the first FAAB run...March 26th. If your draft is done by then, you can FAAB anyone. No games have been played yet.
Sorry Darik
I asked about the first _in-season_ FAAB run. So your answer doesn’t address my question. Undrafted, injured, veteran player. Let’s make it easy. April 16 FAAB, will Walker Buehler be available to bid on if he’s undrafted never owned in my league and hasn’t played a game in 2023?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 pm

So I think this is the easiest way to think about it. If said player was drafted, but then cut on first FAAB run, will be available in all future FAAB for that league.

MLB veterans (i.e. not prospects) who are on ACTIVE 26-man rosters, OR the 7-day, 10-day, or 15-day Injured Lists should also be included for FAAB runs per Sunday morning deadline starting April 3rd.

Those veterans that start the season on 60-day DL's should not be available except under special circumstances...somehow still on 40-man roster by MLB team and sent down to NFBC by SportsRadar (stat provider) on Sunday deadline.

In Walker B's case, my humble opinion is he starts the season on the 60-day DL (and not on Dodgers 40-man roster), and therefore will NOT be available (unless drafted/cut) after the 4/2 FAAB run (first in-season FAAB due to Thursday start of MLB season). The pool starts getting chopped on Monday

This is the way it has been explained to me by our IT/stat provider.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:52 pm

Thanks Darik

That’s very clear and concise.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

sethpoppel

Darik: Players not yet in the FAAB pool?

Post by sethpoppel » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:51 am

Darik, I am in an NL-Only league (in fact you administered our auction). The first FAAB is before the season starts and there are some players, i.e. Tim Locastro, who are in Spring Training and part of an NL team who were NOT in our original pool of eligible players. ( not sure why not, when there were players who retired 3 years ago who were in the pool ). Are these kinds of players going to be added to the pool prior to March 26 so that they can be bid on? I am sure, if he makes the team that he will be in the next week's pool (since no one drafted him), but it would be nice to see some of these "live" NL players who have a 50%+ chance of making the team show up. Thank you!

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun May 07, 2023 7:05 pm

Adrian Houser was on the 15-IL not the 26 man, not the 60-IL
but not available so he’s apparently being treated as a prospect not a veteran
Darik B wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 pm
So I think this is the easiest way to think about it. If said player was drafted, but then cut on first FAAB run, will be available in all future FAAB for that league.

MLB veterans (i.e. not prospects) who are on ACTIVE 26-man rosters, OR the 7-day, 10-day, or 15-day Injured Lists should also be included for FAAB runs per Sunday morning deadline starting April 3rd.

Those veterans that start the season on 60-day DL's should not be available except under special circumstances...somehow still on 40-man roster by MLB team and sent down to NFBC by SportsRadar (stat provider) on Sunday deadline.

In Walker B's case, my humble opinion is he starts the season on the 60-day DL (and not on Dodgers 40-man roster), and therefore will NOT be available (unless drafted/cut) after the 4/2 FAAB run (first in-season FAAB due to Thursday start of MLB season). The pool starts getting chopped on Monday

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:19 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:05 pm
Adrian Houser was on the 15-IL not the 26 man, not the 60-IL
but not available so he’s apparently being treated as a prospect not a veteran
Darik B wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Last 4 years I don't remember this rule ever being applied. I remember in 2019 that Didi Gregorius was available in FAAB and I bid on him a few weeks early.

I just downloaded the list of available free agents in one of my Main Event leagues and every single free agent has appeared in a game this year or was drafted and then dropped.

Brian Jenner

Post by Brian Jenner » Fri May 19, 2023 1:23 pm

The rule is effectively that any player that begins the season on any type of IL (7, 10, 15, 60) is unavailable via FAAB until they play a game, unless they were dropped. Seems to be treated consistently like that even if it's not actually written in the rules that way.