AJ Smith-Shawver

Edwards Kings

AJ Smith-Shawver

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:01 am

AJ Smith-Shawver was called up by the Braves on May 30th and on their roster, but wasn't available in either of my leagues last Sunday. Do we know why?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Re: AJ Smith-Shawver

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:21 am

Wayne, he didn’t make an appearance in a game until Sunday and so he entered the pool of available players the following day, on Monday.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:59 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:01 am
AJ Smith-Shawver was called up by the Braves on May 30th and on their roster, but wasn't available in either of my leagues last Sunday. Do we know why?
Mike is correct. Per the rules Wayne he had to play at least one game in the majors before being eligible for pickup in NFBC leagues. This avoids the "I saw he was called up on Rotowire Saturday, so I should have been able to pick him up" debate, remember? :lol:

Per the rules: Any player who is not on a team roster within your league and is on a major league roster or once was on an NFBC team in your league is considered a free agent for that league once they are officially on an MLB active roster. Even players on the MLB disabled list are eligible to be picked up during the FAAB bidding process once they are officially on an MLB active roster. The player pool is deemed closed of new free agents each Sunday at 7 AM ET before the FAAB bidding deadline and a player must have played at least 1 MLB game to be added to the pool at that time. Once a minor-leaguer plays his first game in the majors, he remains in every NFBC FAAB pool whether he returns to the minors or not. Once in the majors, he remains in all FAAB pools. Participants should also note that MLB unsigned veteran free agents at the time of Draft Day are eligible to be drafted in all NFBC leagues. However, after Draft Day they can only be added via free agency once they are officially added to an MLB 26-man roster.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:14 pm

Well, after 20 years you would have thought I would have read/remembered the rules. OK...thanks for the clarification.

Smith-Shawver, Elly de la Cruz...the FAAB this week....

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer