Live Chat For Wednesday Starts Now

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 8:53 am

Originally posted by viper:

The thing is that he is one of about a dozen people who are steady posters on this board. Does it really matter? - no, not really, but I do get a bit irritated when he critizes other leagues or owners and doesn't have the "whatevers" to identify himself. I actually don't mind reading him and, as I said, he is one of a few a habitual posters. I agree he is entertaining. (Just don’t tell him we said so.) The fact that he has a passion to post on the board is good for the league, regardless of the lack of political correctness of the dribble he generally spews.

I view the board as both a source of vital information and a form of occasional entertainment. Props to the Gekko on the entertainment front.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 05, 2004 8:56 am

Nathan, you are correct, Tom and I are having fun with the NFBC and we believe we can double our pleasure with the NFFC football event. It's not easy putting these high stakes events together and negotiating deals with three separate hotels and airfare and staffing and stats and everything else that goes into this, but seeing the competition going now has been fun. I've especially enjoyed meeting the guys at the Las Vegas draft and interviewing the weekly winners. Everyone has an interesting story and I think it will be a blast to feature our 26 weekly winners this year.

Yes, it looks smooth now, but the 3+ months before the NFBC was finalized was anything but smooth, especially on the home front. But everything has worked out well and I'm VERY pleased with the group we've assembled. We will again set the bar at 300 teams next year and I think we'll fill it up on a first-come, first-serve basis with all NFBC members definitely getting first shot to secure their spot. Like we're doing in the NFFC, we'll likely secure your spot and not run your credit card until after Feb. 1.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 8:57 am

Information on how to do things for sure. I am away from a computer the first and third Sundays in June (golfing in Phoenix and beaching in Key West). I have to explain to a partner the various procedures for making FAAB transactions. It's not that hard but there are a few things to consider.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 8:59 am

I agree, the word of mouth will create a marketing “buzz” that should pretty much assure 300 teams next year. My guess is you’ll have a 70-80% retention from this year.

How well you guys have run the NFBC should also benefit you greatly for your football contest.

Did you guys hire a meeting planner, or have you done all the leg work yourselves setting up the sites?

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 9:01 am

NNOY,

curious since it appears to be just you and me in here ... which league are you in?

I'm in NY4 and the team is "Go The Distance"

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 9:08 am

NNOY,

curious since it appears to be just you and me in here ... which league are you in?

I'm in NY4 and the team is "Go The Distance" Chicago League 2: Drafthelp Noys of Summer

Finally hit the 100 point barrier this morning after suffering through A-rod, Giambi and Wilkerson’s horrid starts. At least I got about 6-weeks worth of production from Sexson before we went down.

Something else to think about: teams with players like Sexson could actually benefit in the long run from such an injury. It depends on how the other 12 teams that own Sexson replace him. I put E. Young in there, (moved Sexson to UT of course.) If Nix and the other Ranger OF’s stay dinged up I may get some production from that spot. I hope the other 12 teams replace him with less, then I may in fact end up better off (assuming the Sexson owners are top-tier teams.)

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed May 05, 2004 9:13 am

I do get a bit irritated when he critizes other leagues or owners and doesn't have the "whatevers" to identify himself. You don't need to worry about me criticizing other leagues or owners until I get back in the top 20. I'm true to my word, and I'll let the stats speak for themselves. You say "whatevers". I say Freedom of Speech. :D

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 9:15 am

You got Arod, Sexson, Sosa and Giambi? There was some slipage in your league

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 9:18 am

One is free to remain anonymous.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 9:18 am

The weekly prize also adds some intrigue to strategy. I am forced with the following dilemma: I have 10 Sp’s and 3 closers and have been maximizing starts each week. I am top-5 overall in SV’s and first in my league by 4. Next week both D. Wells and Z. Day should get two starts. This week I am playing: CC, Escobar (2 next week), Maddux, Morris, Russ Ortiz, and Vic Z., my 3 closers are Chacon, Benetiz, and Rivera.

I will bench Vic for a 2-start guy, but I think my other 5 guys are too valuable to miss a start from, so I may sit Chacon for a week. But, if I do this then I think I lessen my chances of winning a weekly prize, any thoughts?

Also I think there is a direct correlation between the teams near the top and the guys that are rotating 8-9 SP’s in and out of the line-up to maximize starts. The sad thing is as the season moves along and teams become “dead” that the people using this strategy will be LOCKS to pass teams in W’s and K’s that continue to leave injured players in the lineup (this happens EVERY year in EVERY league I’m in.)

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 9:31 am

You got Arod, Sexson, Sosa and Giambi? There was some slipage in your league One team in my league went with all CL’s and MR’s and a strong focus on speed, so Crawford, Pos, Pierre went quick. Pedro went 3rd overall, which started a massive early run on the SP’s. I waited until the 6/7 to take Morris and Sanchez (everyone laughed at Sanchez but other than Dave Roberts (who somehow fell to the 17th for me) there was NO speed left at the time.

My strategy was to bank power early, take no fewer than 3 closers, and punt C’s until the 28th and 29th picks. I wanted 10 solid SP’s to rotate and slated all of my middle round picks for that.

I “called out” my fellow league mates for playing what seemed to be “follow the leader” during the draft. The draft went through runs like I’ve NEVER seen, all the speed and SP’s, then the MI’s then the C’s, everyone seemed to panic and draft the positions where the runs were occurring.

They all shot back at me about having Josh Bard and Todd Greene on my roster. (There is a little something called the FA wire that I have used to turn these guys over twice already, I’ve owned Blanco, and Mayne, and am currently sitting on Inge and Wilson.)

A-rod came out of the box like Jose Guillen and I’ve taken more beatings on the league message board than the Iraqi prisoners in real life. Today I was up to 35th overall and 3rd in my league (what could have been if Sexson was healthy.) If Maddux is Maddux and I can find a way to generate RBI’s then I’ll still have a shot for the top-10. But if D. Wells keeps pitching like a BP pitcher in his 2-start weeks then I’ll be lucky to finish top-50.

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 9:32 am

You got a number of decent pitchers later than would be expected and did well on Zach Day (just checked out your draft). Three closers and six rotating starters is a good mix. My team drafted a SP early (Wood at 17 overall) and then miscalculated on closers and took Rivera in one of our next two picks. It was not needed that early but we wanted a solid closer and felt waiting was dangerous. We were wrong. Speed went fast and furious but not saves - go figure. We only have 5 Sps worth starting and so are using them each week along with high K/IP MRs and our closer (We have Nen who decided to go totally lame 2 days after the draft - plus we missed getting Herges by 3 picks a bit later). What is odd is that we have by far the fewest IPed in our league and syill have a '14' in Ks. Drafting K-type pitchers was important plus our MRs are Lidge, Ryans and Lopez all of whom are getting Ks.

I set up a Yahoo league with all our league rosters so track certain things and to get a better look at free Agents. The IP is a side feature which is interesting to see.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 05, 2004 9:39 am

Thanks guys and we'll talk again tomorrow. We may not have reason to vent every day, but what the heck it keeps us all busy and provides for some good reading during the off hours. Good luck with tonight's games and don't let Gordon get under your skin. ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 9:40 am

When I re-examined our league's draft, there were the normal slippages of players but not any real runs. Players went pretty much according to my pre-draft expectations. The league is fairly balanced and will not likely have a top-8 team in it. Not that it means a lot, but the league is ranked #1 right. I would guess that means that the owners are pretty much moving the proper players in each week and that everyone is still active. I know each week, every owner is modifying their rosters and each week every team is making some type of lineup adjustments. Our team was in 1st 14 days ago. Then it dropped to 14th and is now back in 5th. With 15 teams and so many starting players, every category will remain tight most of the season.

viper

Post by viper » Wed May 05, 2004 9:41 am

Off to the store ... so long NNOY and Gordon. Great job Greg and Tom.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 9:45 am

You got a number of decent pitchers later than would be expected and did well on Zach Day (just checked out your draft). Three closers and six rotating starters is a good mix. My team drafted a SP early (Wood at 17 overall) and then miscalculated on closers and took Rivera in one of our next two picks. It was not needed that early but we wanted a solid closer and felt waiting was dangerous. We were wrong. Speed went fast and furious but not saves - go figure. We only have 5 Sps worth starting and so are using them each week along with high K/IP MRs and our closer (We have Nen who decided to go totally lame 2 days after the draft - plus we missed getting Herges by 3 picks a bit later). What is odd is that we have by far the fewest IPed in our league and syill have a '14' in Ks. Drafting K-type pitchers was important plus our MRs are Lidge, Ryans and Lopez all of whom are getting Ks.

I set up a Yahoo league with all our league rosters so track certain things and to get a better look at free Agents. The IP is a side feature which is interesting to see. The MR high K ratio is certainly a viable alternative strategy to rotating the SP’s. Plus you will get an occasional vulture win. Your ERA and WHIP are far easier to protect as well. Try living with Russ Ortiz, and David Wells, you never know who will show up when those guys play.

The K to IP ratio is critical for this league. I never really considered it since I knew I would be rotating SP’s. You are right that guys like Sabathia and Ortiz fell a few rounds further than they should have in my league.

If there is minimal SP rotating in your league you will be set. Although I guess 20-30 teams are doing it overall, it may be hard for you to get these guys (although D. Wells and his 1.something K’s per outing aren’t helping anyone.)

Great idea on the Yahoo shadow league. Wish I would have had time (or the idea) to set one up. It’s something I will consider doing next year.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed May 05, 2004 9:48 am

Great session Tom and Greg. I’m off to the Cubs game tomorrow and traveling on Friday, but I’ll tune in next week.