Thursday Live Chat Starts Now

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 13, 2004 7:48 am

It's sunny and raining here in Wisconsin -- gotta love this Midwest weather -- so what better reason to get a little chatter going on the boards this afternoon? Got something on your mind you want to vent about? How about something that makes you want to puff out your chests? All comments are welcome here.

I'll get things rolling:

With all the time we've given folks to vent I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Raul Mondesi yet. He was a guy I was targeting in my drafts this year and I'm glad I didn't get him, that's for sure.

Anyone else think all of the talk about how Roger Clemens can't keep this pace up all season is simply going to prove to be motivation to do just that? Or is it just me?

Can somebody flip the calender ahead a couple of months? Maybe that'll help Bobby Abreu start playing like Bobby Abreu again.

And lastly and totally off topic, is there anything more painful than watching the Nets-Pistons playoff series? Talk about setting professional basketball back a couple of decades. I'll be glad when that one's over.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

SoonerC

Post by SoonerC » Thu May 13, 2004 8:10 am

Hello all, rain and hail in Oklahoma this afternoon. Tom, I never have been much of a Mondesi fan but the Rocket has been unreal. Props to all that took him. It will be interesting to watch as the year progresses. It was a no brainer that he would be good the first time through the league facing guys who for the most part have never faced him before. Even with a dropoff though, 20 wins appears attainable. I am going to try some reverse psychology on my team today and not vent, though I have plenty to vent about.

SoonerC

Post by SoonerC » Thu May 13, 2004 8:15 am

One more thing, Tom as far as your comments on professional basketball. The sport is pretty much dead with not a lot of hope for change anytime soon. The NBA I remember had 130-120 games on a regular basis. I'm tired of people trying to say that it is because they play defense now. I've seen good basketball and this is not it. Very few of these guys have a mid-range jump shot anymore and are content to jack 3's or try to take it to the hoop. Letting highshoolers take up roster spots that should be occupied by seasoned veterans has done a lot to kill the sport as well. It's no wonder the NFL fought the 3 year rule.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Thu May 13, 2004 8:21 am

Tom,

I actually started a Mondesi thread here on the board, I was lucky enough that he went before I could take him in the NFBC, but he and Erstad were two of my core OF’s in a 21-team, 40-man roster local league (needless to say starting Hawpe AND Pellow this week is not fun.)

Here’s what I had to say:

What a joke this guy is. He “wants to rest and spend time with his kids.” What’s this guy do for 6 months a year?

This guy pulled in over $45 million from 2000-2003 and almost $60 million from 1998-2003. Why did he even bother taking the Pirates measly $1.1 million contract this year?

Players like Raul Mondesi and the contract the fools in the Dodger organization laid on him are the reason the game is where it is today. This guy is a joke, he should be crucified in the press, but I guess we have to settle for the NFBC message board for now.

SoonerC

Post by SoonerC » Thu May 13, 2004 8:36 am

I've changed my mind and decided to vent. I just noticed that Colorado is playing Gonzalez at 2B again today. Miles started every single game on the road trip last week and now has been benched both times at home this week. Starting on the road and sitting at Coors has to be the worst platoon situation ever encountered. Not a very good way to build confidence in a young hitter.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 13, 2004 8:37 am

Sooner, I agree with your thoughts about the NBA. I miss the golden days of the 80s when Magic and Bird and Kareem and Jordan just getting started and most of all I miss those days cuz the Bucks kicked some serious a**. :D Seriously, I don't think the players are as good. They're bigger, stronger and faster, but they lack the fundamentals which is why the European players have become so popular. They lack strength and quickness in many cases, but they are almost always fundamentally sound.

Nate, I liked Mondesi as a low-end OF who would put up some solid numbers. Nothing great, but enough run-production and speed to help you in those areas. But I'm definitely glad I missed out on him in my expert drafts and my main league (NL-only auction). Nothing worse than having someone like that basically flame out a month into the season.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Thu May 13, 2004 8:52 am

Sucks to own Nomo. Dusty marches out a line-up that looks like he’s conceding to a sweep (no Sosa, no Walker, no Barrett, no Patterson) and they put up a 6-spot in the 2nd.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 13, 2004 9:09 am

Nomo reminds me of what often happens to NFL running backs when they reach 30 years of age. They hit that wall and they don't nudge it, they slam right into it and become worthless almost overnight.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Thu May 13, 2004 9:33 am

Tom I get the feeling that you are more of a football guy than baseball, correct?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 13, 2004 9:41 am

Yea that's probably true. I covered the NFL for 9 years, so I probably lean a little more toward football than baseball though I've been playing fantasy baseball since the late 80s.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Thu May 13, 2004 9:47 am

Not sure if you got my message, are you going to be able to be a guest on our radio show tonight?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 13, 2004 9:59 am

Yup, Greg should've e-mailed you with the confirmation as well as a number where you can reach me tonight.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Thu May 13, 2004 10:03 am

Thanks, got it. I’ll pimp the show on a separate thread, we have call-in lines if any members of the NFBC want to chat. I left you a message on the number Greg provided. I’ll finalize the logistics and contact you shortly before 6pm CDT (the studio is in Cleveland and I am in Chicago.)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 13, 2004 10:03 am

Sounds good. I'll be there.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich