A complaint about Laptops....

BaseBrawler

Post by BaseBrawler » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 am

Im usually not a big complainer. I understand that everyone needs there own competitive edge during a live draft, but not when it seems to effect the pace of a draft or the draft itself. My personal experience from the live auction draft was that some of the owners( not all. Im not killing everyone) where paying more attention to their laptops then they were the live draft. They were constantly asking to repeat names and prices, and where constantly asking for more time to update their information or change a battery.

I would ask Tom or Greg to maybe make some kind of decision to make the rules more stringent in guards to time stops and money checks during a live draft. So that the draft will flow quicker. Other then that It was a great draft cudos to the auctioneer.

Thanks for a great friday and saturday Tom! Good luck everyone.
The Foot Moves swiftly and silently ....THEN KICKS YOUR BUTT!

billywaz

Post by billywaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:17 am

I have yet to be in a "live" baseball event, but I imagine football is pretty much the same.

I have never really had problems with others in football, but I personally don't like using computers, as I am a pen/paper/highlighter guy (have doing it for years, and it works for me).

I know many use an "auction program" that calculates $$$ on the spot, etc. but I have always been of the school that if you can't do it in your head (or with a simple calculator), maybe the auction shouldn't be your thing.

To each their own, and the diversity is what makes fantasy sports so great! :D

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 am

I don't know what was going on in your draft, but the whole point of using a laptop should make it easier and not more complicated when it comes to the auction especially...chaulk it up to the owners using the laptop and not the laptops themselves..

roundmann

Post by roundmann » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:55 am

What slowed the draft up most were teams with partners, bickering over who to draft.

Roundmann

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:58 am

Originally posted by edelman24:

I don't know what was going on in your draft, but the whole point of using a laptop should make it easier and not more complicated when it comes to the auction especially...chaulk it up to the owners using the laptop and not the laptops themselves.. Exactly my sentiments.

It Takes A Geek

Post by It Takes A Geek » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:57 am

what slowed are draft was that there were three people on the telephone.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 am

forget laptops, NO MORE SERVING BEER!!! Those in NY $1300 know what I mean

billywaz

Post by billywaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:24 am

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

forget laptops, NO MORE SERVING BEER!!! Those in NY $1300 know what I mean I wasn't there, but I am betting that beer wasn't to blame.

It might have been Scott's silent (or not so silent) partner.....

Mr. Johnny Walker (and his brother's Black & Red) :eek:

Cue up the George Thoroughgood.....

"I drink alooooone......yea...... with nobody else!" :D

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:54 am

This is all solved by enforcing the time limit rules, not adding new ones.

A laptop user is no different than a 2 headed decision jackass is no different than a drunk at the bar or someone with hamster bladder who has to go all the time.

They get 1 min from the time the sticker is placed on the previous pick and you move on. Someone says wait, what was that pick? You repeat it, WHILE counting down the time.

We all lose track of a pick here and there (I think I tried to repick 4 players in our draft on Sat) - but it wasn't that i didn't have a next player ready 5 seconds afterward.

The rules are fine as they are, what you are asking for is enforcement of them.

AND I agree ;P

Dyv
Just Some Guy

hankstr

Post by hankstr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:03 am

I was in NY $1300 auction. Try to imagine if beans had been served instead of beer.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:10 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

They get 1 min from the time the sticker is placed on the previous pick and you move on. Someone says wait, what was that pick? You repeat it, WHILE counting down the time.Dyv, in five years of the NFBC and four of the NFFC, I have only seen this rule properly applied ONCE. For some reason, my facilitators announce the pick, then start the clock before the sticker goes up.

Proper enforcement of the rules is great, but knowledge of the rules by those doing the enforcing is of even greater importance.

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:34 am

King is correct. My league was run very fast. If you did not hear the pick you were screwed. The sticker guys were 2-3 stickers behind the clock guy. He was the fastest person on the planet with finding the little sticker and moving on. Not complaining as I did like the speed, but if you tried to follow the board.... oh boy.

[ March 17, 2008, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Top Dawg ]
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

roundmann

Post by roundmann » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 am

I guess you didn't get the first batch of Pizza Friday night. Mine had beans. Perhaps the result was an end product later in the evening.

I guess you know why farts smell !!!!!!

So deaf people can enjoy them too !!!!!

Roundmann

reservoirdawgs

Post by reservoirdawgs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 pm

I agree with the sentiments of time is time regardless of lapops, beers, beans or whatever. I believed a laptop would give you an advantage that's why I use one (though by looking at my team you would never know it) :mad:

It was my first time and I had a great time in Friday's auction and the main event on Saturday in Vegas...I have high praise for Greg and Tom and all of the other folks that spent time supporting the event...it clearly is run very, very well. the only critique I have and it relates to this subject is this...I thought the facilitator in my Friday AL auction and my Saturday draft did a GREAT job with the pace...for my liking it was not too slow and not so fast..On Saturday I was challenged to keep up but never held up the group once and I never moved from my seat throughout the breaks to keep up.....I think we were the 7th team finished on Saturday. My critique is that I should or should not be able to "make it" in the auction or the draft based on the facilitator. If I was among the first few drafts to finish on Saturday it is clear I never would have been able to keep up no matter how fast I was on the computer..how does one prepare if I have to leave it up to the "luck of the draw" as far as facilitaors? Don't expect a lot of positive response to this as most were not using laptops but just as the umpire or referee should not dictate/impact the outcome of the game I don't think the facilitator should either...just my 2 cents!

Good luck all!

baggler

Post by baggler » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm

I think this comment on laptops is more for the auction drafts as the owner must enter the bid and player to the correct team on his/her laptop while getting prepared for the next pick to be called.

As we don't have a time limit in the auction. The auctions last over 5 close to 6 hours.There are two breaks where the owners can plug in and do whatever they want (bathroom break,check team accuracy,check money accuracy and so on).

In the main there are two breaks but the draft only lasts 4 to 5 hours not using as much battery life.And there is less inputting.In four years I've never found an owner to have a problem with their laptop in the main and if so it doesn't effect you because that owner gets skipped.

In the auction you can't skip an owner who is not bidding and you don't want to seem like an a-hole in not giving a guy a chance to get it together on his laptop but maybe it's time not to show this courtesy.

It is a money league and if you choose to use a laptop and it crashes or the battery dies or you can't get the info inputted quickly enough. Too bad.

That player needs to be held accountable. How do you go about penalizing a guy for not hearing the bid and asking what price..etc etc. I truly don't know. Maybe someone has an idea or has a rule implemented in their auction league for such an occasion.

I have a good first step towards consistancy of the auctions. The auction has been more of whenever the owners decide to break we break thing.

Maybe we implement a end of 8,end of 16 and end of 23 break. With the end of 8(20 minute money check-dinner break)an end of 16 (10 minute money check bathroom break) and the end of 23(5 minute bathroom break)prior to the snake rounds.

It's a small step towards some progress.

Justa thought!!! Good luck to everyone!!!
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"- "Fortune favors the brave"

RichV

Post by RichV » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

King is correct. My league was run very fast. If you did not hear the pick you were screwed. The sticker guys were 2-3 stickers behind the clock guy. He was the fastest person on the planet with finding the little sticker and moving on. Not complaining as I did like the speed, but if you tried to follow the board.... oh boy. I have to agree here. I was in this league, and more than once, I was waiting for a few names to be posted on the board and the next thing I heard was , "Number 11, you have 30 seconds" That's not the way it's supposed to work, but I wasn't about to make a big deal about it. One thing for sure, if I was drafting solo, I would have said something. I give credit to you "solo" drafters. I don't know how you can keep up, and not miss more picks than you do.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm all for a fast draft...but the clock should not start until after that sticker is on the big board.

This isn't a race...and the general feeling was if you use your entire 60 freaking seconds...that you are the bad guy and a time waster.

I think that is a bad trend that this year seemed to have.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:58 pm

bah u veterans should know to call bullshit on a moderator more concerned with getting done than doing it right. Tell him you want the site admin in your city and discuss it, clarify it etc. Stop being wusses ;)
Just Some Guy

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:14 pm

bah u veterans should know to call bullshit on a moderator more concerned with getting done than doing it right. Tell him you want the site admin in your city and discuss it, clarify it etc. Stop being wusses ;) True.

Muff ___er! :D ;)

It just seemed that they wanted to rush the presents being opened on Christmas Eve!

Rush the Sticker dude and dudette, rush the drafters...hell...30% of the names called out are not loud enough, nor repeated loud enough for all to hear...so wee wait and see the sticker...then the guy never gets out of the way...so we start bobbing back and forth in our chairs like orangutans trying to see around him...ha!!!!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

...then the guy never gets out of the way...so we start bobbing back and forth in our chairs like orangutans trying to see around him...ha!!!!

~Lance Were you watching me Lance? :D

Our facilitator, Rex, always does a great job running the draft, but I agree he did seem a little rushed this year, for whatever reason. I thought it was strange when we said, "we won't use the clock, we'll just trust you to pick quickly to keep this moving", or something to that effect. I agree though, all facilitators should use the clock and start it when the name is posted on the board. If a pick isn't made in 60 seconds, skip ahead per the rule.

BaseBrawler

Post by BaseBrawler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:17 am

Just to let you guys know this was more about the Auction draft. Not in the main event.

I do agree maybe Johnny walker should not be aloud to come to the draft. Those in the New York draft know what im talking about LOL

Ill Take Jeff Baker... Sorry team 10 you already drafted him 3 rounds ago......

[ March 18, 2008, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: TheFoot ]
The Foot Moves swiftly and silently ....THEN KICKS YOUR BUTT!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:37 am

bah u veterans should know to call bullshit on a moderator more concerned with getting done than doing it right. Tell him you want the site admin in your city and discuss it, clarify it etc. Stop being wusses ;) agreed.

Jackstraw

Post by Jackstraw » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:07 am

Whenever I play in Vegas, it seems like every manager, draft guy, and auctioner is in a huge hurry to get done. I agree with whoever said it: if you take the full 60 seconds then you are a bad guy. I usually took the full 60 seconds regardless and let everyone get pissed. Most of us get to do this one time a year, and it IS a lot of money. I want my money's worth, and my money is best equated to time. The more I pay, the more I want period.

Chicago 1 and the mixed league auction were two of the best paced drafts that I have ever participated in. The guy running the auction was more into customer service and making sure that each of us knew what was going on. The group also worked together great. Instead of their being a bunch of fixed rules on how long it had to take or when we could take a break, we all pretty much voiced our opinions on when a break or money count was needed. It took seven hours for the auction, but there was never a hitch and I think everyone walked away satisfied with the way it was run.

The main event went just as smooth with our guy in Chicago 1. We finished last or next to last, but there weren't any complaints. It was very evenly paced. Our guy typically told you it was your turn, hit the clock, and let the rest go. Once the name was called, they got it on the board and then he turned to the next manager and said it was your turn and hit the clock. Most of the managers worked together to make sure that everyone stayed on top of the draft. Same way with the auction.

In all honesty, I think that the problem is that most of the guys who are complaining are just too impatient to begin with. Relax, have fun, enjoy the comraderie, take your time and stay on top of your game. If you're in a hurry, then join a fantasy track league.
George
Smoky Mtn. Oysters
Chicago 4
Wildwood Weeds
Chicago 650 Mixed League Auction

Nutty Scrats

Post by Nutty Scrats » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:37 am

Originally posted by Jackstraw:

Whenever I play in Vegas, it seems like every manager, draft guy, and auctioner is in a huge hurry to get done. I agree with whoever said it: if you take the full 60 seconds then you are a bad guy. I usually took the full 60 seconds regardless and let everyone get pissed. Most of us get to do this one time a year, and it IS a lot of money. I want my money's worth, and my money is best equated to time. The more I pay, the more I want period.

Chicago 1 and the mixed league auction were two of the best paced drafts that I have ever participated in. The guy running the auction was more into customer service and making sure that each of us knew what was going on. The group also worked together great. Instead of their being a bunch of fixed rules on how long it had to take or when we could take a break, we all pretty much voiced our opinions on when a break or money count was needed. It took seven hours for the auction, but there was never a hitch and I think everyone walked away satisfied with the way it was run.

The main event went just as smooth with our guy in Chicago 1. We finished last or next to last, but there weren't any complaints. It was very evenly paced. Our guy typically told you it was your turn, hit the clock, and let the rest go. Once the name was called, they got it on the board and then he turned to the next manager and said it was your turn and hit the clock. Most of the managers worked together to make sure that everyone stayed on top of the draft. Same way with the auction.

In all honesty, I think that the problem is that most of the guys who are complaining are just too impatient to begin with. Relax, have fun, enjoy the comraderie, take your time and stay on top of your game. If you're in a hurry, then join a fantasy track league. George I'm with you if someone wants to take the full 60 seconds fine with me. It's their dime. This should be enjoyable and not a race. Personally I rarely took the a full 45 or 60 seconds but I have no problem with drafters that want that full time. Draft day should be spent the way one wants to to maximize the full enjoyment out of the draft. In my opinion everyone drafts differently and thats fine. Some times these things seem like a race. Which league can draft the fastest. I don't think thats what this is all about.
Ed

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:08 am

I apologize for chiming in, but let's think about how many different personalities we have among the 390 main event participants. We can admit that EVERYONE looks forward to the draft. They LOVE being there. They LOVE opening their presents and they LOVE the competition. No complaints there.

But some folks want to keep the drafts moving. They seem in a hurry. They seem agitated when others don't pick quickly. They want to get to their presents sooner than others because they know what's inside the presents. They are impatient to wait for that 30th present of the day.

Other folks want to enjoy the moment, take their time and look over the choice of presents first. Sometimes there's a few folks like that in the same league and after awhile they realize that taking their time isn't a bad thing. They patiently wait for their presents and enjoy the moment.

Some facilitators know all the players and keep the drafts moving at a hectic pace. Sometimes they don't even feel a need for the stopwatch or clock. They get a feeling that the owners like the fast pace, that they all know their baseball as well as him and don't mind the quick pace.

Other facilitators and sticker board folks don't quite know every player and ask for folks to repeat the player's name again. They wait for the sticker to go on the boards, talk a little about the player and then start the clock for the next player. They get a feel for those owners and keep the pace at that level the rest of the day.

After all is said and done, inevitably I get owners coming over to me to commend some facilitators and complain about others. Some folks say they loved the pace of the drafts. Heck, LV9 was done in 3 hours and 15 minutes and I swear every single owner came over to say what a great job Jason Grey did. Another draft got done in 4 hours and 30 minutes and those folks said they liked the fact that everyone took their time. Other drafts seemed to go in the middle of that and folks came over to say they liked Brady's pace or another facilitators' pace, while one or two folks still said things went too fast or too slow.

I hear your thoughts on whether the clock should start when the sticker hits the board. No problem there. I'll admit that on Saturday night when I ran the NFBC Super Draft, I hit the clock before the sticker hit the board. We had knowledgeable owners and everyone was doing their second draft of the day and I kept the peddle on the metal. I hope I wasn't too fast for everyone.

I think you as owners can tell your facilitator at anytime to speed up or slow down. But each owner in each league can set the pace themselves and eventually everyone else stays at that pace.

The auction leagues are another story and I'll address that later.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius